Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The ESPN layoffs started rolling in today

justice98

Just now, STBonecrusher21 said:

Stark one of the best baseball writers out there.. Yet Stephen A Smith keeps his gig. 

Ratings man. It's all about being a sports TMZ these days. 

I'm sure most of their broadcast crews are safe but I wish they'd just end their Sunday night baseball contract. Who wants to be forced to watch a baseball game at 8pm instead of 1pm on a Sunday, with crappy commentary instead of your hometown team's broadcast crew?

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

They do have a lot of superfluous, albeit talented (sometimes not) people.  They dont need 500 ex-football players running around.  And I'm still waiting for John Clayton to be useful.

They have enough football analyst to field a team.

Tired of their human interest stories.  Tired of seeing Sportscenter being interrupted with some heartbreaking story about some kid with a life threatening disease who gets to tag along with a big league ballplayer for a day.  Sorry to sound callous, but show me some highlights, provide some analysis and shut up.

And what the **** is up with the 6pm sportscenter?  Stop mixing pop culture with sports!  Like yesterday, I don't give a **** about Charlamange Tha God's new book or what his thoughts are on sports.  

Just go back to your roots and what made you great in the first place.  It's gotten way outta hand.

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Tired of their human interest stories.  Tired of seeing Sportscenter being interrupted with some heartbreaking story about some kid with a life threatening disease who gets to tag along with a big league ballplayer for a day.  Sorry to sound callous, but show me some highlights, provide some analysis and shut up.

And what the **** is up with the 6pm sportscenter?  Stop mixing pop culture with sports!  Like yesterday, I don't give a **** about Charlamange Tha God's new book or what his thoughts are on sports.  

Just go back to your roots and what made you great in the first place.  It's gotten way outta hand.

Aussie rules football and sailing?

wow this is crazy. Those are some big names for the company. Why Kanell? He was a great SVP replacement on the radio. Must have been too critical of the SEC for the worldwide's liking. Strauss and Stark are also fantastic writers.

Yet bumbling idiots like Golic can keep their job for 20 years and even bring get their sons high profile jobs too. smh

Sportscenter anchors Jaymee Sire, Chris Hassel and Jay Crawford

Ed Werder NFL 

Brett McMurphy college football

Jayson Stark  Baseball Tonight

Trent Dilfer, NFL analyst

SEC reporter Greg Ostendorf

Golf analyst Dottie Pepper

Chantel Jennings, from the Pac-12 beat

Jean-Jacques Taylor, who covered all things Dallas

Calvin Watkins, on the NBA and Houston Rockets beat

Justin Verrier, who covered the New Orleans Pelicans

College basketball analyst Len Elmore

Former Nationals general manager Jim Bowden

Danny Kanell, who has been with the network as a college football analyst since 2010

NBA reporter Ethan Strauss

Ashley Fox covered the NFL for “SportsCenter”

Columnist Johnette Howard

Jane McManus, who wrote about a variety of subjects

ESPNW columnist Melissa Isaacson

NHL coverage columnists: Pierre LeBrun and Scott Burnside and writer Joe McDonald

basketball writer Dana O’Neil

Data-driven gambling expert Rufus Peabody

college basketball writer Eamonn Brennan

college basketball reporter C.L. Brown

Austin Ward, Jesse Temple and Brian Bennett, who all covered the Big Ten

Max Olson, who covered the Big 12

David Ching, from the SEC/LSU beat

College football writer Ted Miller

Jeremy Crabtree and Derek Tyson, who covered recruiting

Jarrett Bell NFL coverage

Paul Kuharsky, who covered the Tennessee Titans

ESPN Insider soccer writer Mike L. Goodman

legal analyst Roger Cossack

Baseball writer Mark Saxon

Dodgers beat reporter Doug Padilla

ESPN radio host Robin Lundberg

ESPNU host Brendan Fitzgerald

Source:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/04/26/espn-announces-layoffs-with-100-people-reportedly-affected/

Wow, tough day for those folks. 

19 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm the opposite that's the only Sportscenter I watch if I have a choice.  Sports is entertainment for me and I like it delivered in a way that's fun as opposed to a CNN news room.  TNT inside the NBA is my favorite and it's even less professional. 

31 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

You have to get MNF if you can get it. But im sure they overpaid like hell to secure it

Why, it's not what it once was. With Thursday night games and Sunday night getting games that are flexed in, the benefit? It's basically the Skins signing Bruce Smith. Let someone else take on the bloated contract and get it on the cheap later.

29 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

Why, it's not what it once was. With Thursday night games and Sunday night getting games that are flexed in, the benefit? It's basically the Skins signing Bruce Smith. Let someone else take on the bloated contract and get it on the cheap later.

Sunday night football premiered in 2006 and ESPN took over MNF in 2005. When they signed the extension in 09, SNF wasn't the premier primetime football slot it is now. 

Besides, they got a ton of other NFL rights in that deal and potentially the chance for a Super Bowl. 

I don't think it was comparable to our Bruce Smith signing.

Archived