• Blog Entries

• By JimmiJo in ES Coverage

VICTORY!!!

Redskins 20 - 15 Cardinals

Sorry folks, just made it. Plus, all of our photogs are injured.

It must be the end of a bad season with no hope of playoffs.

But I am here, JimmiJo, to bring you all the action.

Here are my thoughts in a nutshell, bottom-line sort of way: win today or coaches could become at risk. 

This is where you see who is who and who will be here next year.

Follow along on Twitter @Skinscast.

Inactives 

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 19 WR Robert Davis
      o   No. 35 S Montae Nicholson
      o   No. 53 LB Zach Brown
      o   No. 67 G Kyle Kalis
      o   No. 71 T Trent Williams
      o   No. 73 C Demetrius Rhaney
      o   No. 97 DL Terrell McClain

Half

Prototypical game for Washington. Jump out to early start, then the offense starts to fade. The bad news with this is Arizona has stuck with the run game and it is starting to pay dividends for them. 

Thanks to a fumble by Vernon Davis and a good defensive stand by the Redskins; the Cardinals were able to muster a field goal to pull within 5.

Head coach Jay was visibly upset on that last drive and one wonders if he is not going to be lighting this team up in the locker room.

The Redskins get the ball to start the half. 

JimmiJo

Make no mistake. A win is a win is a win.

But let’s not kid ourselves; any competent quarterback for Arizona and this was likely a loss. Heck, if the tight end holds the ball at the 1-yard line at the end it is likely a loss.

The Washington Redskins got one they had to have. It meant nothing in the overall; there are no postseason aspirations, and this game likely had no spoiler-implications.

But for the Redskins it was about pride and identity. It was also about people’s jobs.

If a football team cannot get up for a much-needed win against a bad team in front of their home crowd; the problems are about more than injuries and dumb-luck. Such a loss would have been an indictment of the coaching staff. Specifically the head coach.

Attitude is a reflection of leadership, as the saying goes. And lately this team has not been showing up.

That’s on the man in charge.

A loss today and ownership could be starting to consider a change at skipper. At a minimum he is wondering who else is out there.

The good news is the team responded and found a way to win. They had help.

Blaine Gabbert finished the day 16-of-41 for 181 for quarterback rating of 52.9. Worse were those moments when he decided to have poor accuracy. His red zone effectiveness was atrocious.

Then there were the dropped balls from the receivers. If the Cardinals tight end catches the ball at the 1-yard line we are having a different conversation.

The Redskins on the other hand didn’t fare much better. They posted just 218 total net yards of offense, and a paltry 31-yards rushing.

The offense benefitted from an opening drive sack-fumble by their defense. Two plays later, Kirk connected with Jamison Crowder for the easy touchdown.

Two drives later the Redskins would again draw blood when Cousins hooked up with Kapri Bibbs fir a 36-yard touchdown.
      But after this the offense went flat. They managed only 15-total plays in the first half. And early in the 2nd half had only amassed 5-yards rushing.

The turnover the start the second half deflated the team and stadium.  Washington would manage to add another two field goals, and it turned out to be  just enough to get the win.

Cousins was by far the best player on offense finishing 18/26 for 196-yards, 2-touchdowns and a QB-rating of 149.07.
      Crowder led all receivers with 5-catches for 55-yards and a TD. Next came Bibbs, with 4-receptions for 47-yards and a touchdown.

Defensively, Washington brought pressure that made a difference at times. Preston Smith had a banner-day; finishing the game with a sack, fumble recovery, and interception. Anthony Lanier had two batted balls and a forced fumble. Kendall Fuller led all tacklers with 6-solo and 2-assists.

The Redskins did just enough to get a win at home. It means they can still to avoid a losing season which would paint a much different picture on the season.

From here on out it’s about who wants to be here next year. Washington has one more home game against the Denver Broncos, who feature a touch defensive group. They will then travel to New York for the final game of the year.

It’s all about character now.

Sign in to follow this  
Elessar78

Do you still have a home phone? (911 related)

We don't. Haven't had one for the ten years we've been married, but now our eldest is at an age where she can use a phone to, God forbid, call 9-1-1. So we're considering getting one, but the cost seems too high. $300/year—which in light of a true emergency may be a small price to pay. 

Are there any alternatives out there to access emergency services? Big concern is that in the event of an emergency, our cell phones may be locked or can't be found. 

Kind of a risk, on a topic that might be vitally important. But I understand that now days, by law, a "disconnected" home landline still has a dial tone, and can still dial 911. Just can't dial any other numbers. 

You could just get a pay as you go phone and have a spot for it. Heck, you can just use an old cell phone without service on it. FCC requires that emergency calls be allowed through even if there isnt service, you just wouldnt be able to get a call back. Even if you have an ATT phone with no bars, the call would then be made using Verizon service for example.

• Like 3

I have not had one in 10 years as well. It got to a point where the only calls coming in were telemarketers and I got sick of that.  My son just got his first iPhone this past October so I could actually leave him at home while I go out for very short periods of time (the gym or grocery store).  

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

Kind of a risk, on a topic that might be vitally important. But I understand that now days, by law, a "disconnected" home landline still has a dial tone, and can still dial 911. Just can't dial any other numbers. 

Just googled that, apparently its not a law for landlines, just for cell phones. So in some areas you might have that ability on a disconnected landline, but many others you may not. Depends apparently on your location/local service provider.

Here they offer basic landline phone service  for less than $10, free if you are old ect.

Went all cellular last year. 

I still have a landline phone. Really need to cancel it though. Telemarketers are the only ones who call.

Our's comes bundled with cable and internet and I saw no price difference without the landline (well a VOIP I guess, but still).  You could also teach your child how to use 911 on a cell in a pinch (I think cell phones can dial 911 without it being unlocked right?)  

We keep an old iphone 4 plugged in.  It's not part of our plan, but can dial 911 in an emergency.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

We keep an old iphone 4 plugged in.  It's not part of our plan, but can dial 911 in an emergency.

and a emergency flashlight

• Like 1

Haven't had a land line in 8 years or so.  Only got telemarketing calls on it when I had it.  **** that.

I'm not planning on having any emergencies any time soon, so no big deal I guess.

Joking aside,

If you have an iPhone, you can call emergency while it's locked.  MORE IMPORTANTLY:  On the emergency screen there is a "medical ID" button on the bottom left.  Fill out your medical

ID so that would be rescuers can get reliable information on you quickly.  Allergies, medications, emergency contact info, stuff like that.

• Like 2

20 years or so without a landline for me. I've had a cell phone since the old brick phones. Just never had a need for one. I also don't lock my phone, no reason to the only person that has any access to it is my wife and there is nothing for me to hide on my phone. 

I would buy one of the basic phones that is not a smartphone ( I think you can get some for about 20 bucks). That way she can call anyone in case of an emergency and add it on your plan. Typically it is only 10 bucks a month to add a line. Put in some of the main numbers she would need immediate access to...and keep it moving. 

• Like 1

Cut my home phone a few years ago. I'm not worried about calling 911 because nobody is gonna bother robbing my broke ass.

• Like 1

Negative. And off the top of my head im not sure I know anyone who has one either. 

4 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

We don't. Haven't had one for the ten years we've been married, but now our eldest is at an age where she can use a phone to, God forbid, call 9-1-1. So we're considering getting one, but the cost seems too high. $300/year—which in light of a true emergency may be a small price to pay. 

Are there any alternatives out there to access emergency services? Big concern is that in the event of an emergency, our cell phones may be locked or can't be found. 

Just get a POS burner for cheap and leave it plugged in somewhere for emergencies only. That world be cheaper than an actual landline 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twa said:

Here they offer basic landline phone service  for less than $10, free if you are old ect.

Went all cellular last year. 

I tried asking them about that but they said they don't offer that here. Grr.

2 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

I tried asking them about that but they said they don't offer that here. Grr.

they do for poor folk :)

Surely you have a old cell phone around.

1 hour ago, Busch1724 said:

I bet you people with landlines still have analog clocks!

As long as they're not in Oklahoma, they can read still read 'em.

21 minutes ago, twa said:

they do for poor folk :)

Surely you have a old cell phone around.

Yes. I didn't think of that as an option until someone mentioned it above. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Busch1724 said:

I bet you people with landlines still have analog clocks!

Yes,

i have a (month winding) mantle clock,

an analog watch (self winding gem-geared chronometer),

and about 10 analog (battery) clocks around the house 

angryoldman.jpg

• Like 1