Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you still have a home phone? (911 related)

Elessar78

We don't. Haven't had one for the ten years we've been married, but now our eldest is at an age where she can use a phone to, God forbid, call 9-1-1. So we're considering getting one, but the cost seems too high. $300/year—which in light of a true emergency may be a small price to pay. 

Are there any alternatives out there to access emergency services? Big concern is that in the event of an emergency, our cell phones may be locked or can't be found. 

You could just get a pay as you go phone and have a spot for it. Heck, you can just use an old cell phone without service on it. FCC requires that emergency calls be allowed through even if there isnt service, you just wouldnt be able to get a call back. Even if you have an ATT phone with no bars, the call would then be made using Verizon service for example.

I have not had one in 10 years as well. It got to a point where the only calls coming in were telemarketers and I got sick of that.  My son just got his first iPhone this past October so I could actually leave him at home while I go out for very short periods of time (the gym or grocery store).  

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

Kind of a risk, on a topic that might be vitally important. But I understand that now days, by law, a "disconnected" home landline still has a dial tone, and can still dial 911. Just can't dial any other numbers. 

Just googled that, apparently its not a law for landlines, just for cell phones. So in some areas you might have that ability on a disconnected landline, but many others you may not. Depends apparently on your location/local service provider.

Our's comes bundled with cable and internet and I saw no price difference without the landline (well a VOIP I guess, but still).  You could also teach your child how to use 911 on a cell in a pinch (I think cell phones can dial 911 without it being unlocked right?)  

Haven't had a land line in 8 years or so.  Only got telemarketing calls on it when I had it.  **** that.

I'm not planning on having any emergencies any time soon, so no big deal I guess.

Joking aside,

If you have an iPhone, you can call emergency while it's locked.  MORE IMPORTANTLY:  On the emergency screen there is a "medical ID" button on the bottom left.  Fill out your medical

ID so that would be rescuers can get reliable information on you quickly.  Allergies, medications, emergency contact info, stuff like that.

20 years or so without a landline for me. I've had a cell phone since the old brick phones. Just never had a need for one. I also don't lock my phone, no reason to the only person that has any access to it is my wife and there is nothing for me to hide on my phone. 

I would buy one of the basic phones that is not a smartphone ( I think you can get some for about 20 bucks). That way she can call anyone in case of an emergency and add it on your plan. Typically it is only 10 bucks a month to add a line. Put in some of the main numbers she would need immediate access to...and keep it moving. 

Negative. And off the top of my head im not sure I know anyone who has one either. 

4 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

We don't. Haven't had one for the ten years we've been married, but now our eldest is at an age where she can use a phone to, God forbid, call 9-1-1. So we're considering getting one, but the cost seems too high. $300/year—which in light of a true emergency may be a small price to pay. 

Are there any alternatives out there to access emergency services? Big concern is that in the event of an emergency, our cell phones may be locked or can't be found. 

Just get a POS burner for cheap and leave it plugged in somewhere for emergencies only. That world be cheaper than an actual landline 

1 hour ago, Busch1724 said:

I bet you people with landlines still have analog clocks!

As long as they're not in Oklahoma, they can read still read 'em.

21 minutes ago, twa said:

they do for poor folk :)

Surely you have a old cell phone around.

Yes. I didn't think of that as an option until someone mentioned it above. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Busch1724 said:

I bet you people with landlines still have analog clocks!

Yes,

i have a (month winding) mantle clock,

an analog watch (self winding gem-geared chronometer),

and about 10 analog (battery) clocks around the house 

angryoldman.jpg

Archived