Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you still have a home phone? (911 related)

Elessar78

My parents still have a home phone. We usually only get telemarketers, but I call home sometimes, as well as my brother and sister, and my grandparents call my house on Saturday mornings to chat with my dad. Haven't had to dial 9-1-1 though. 

Apparently on iphones you can ask Siri to dial 1-0-8 or something like that, which is a number that dials the cops. It's been a joke going around Facebook to tell someone to have Siri call that. 

Always had a land line, always will.  We have portable phones, but in the event of an emergency we have an old school phone (with a cord) mounted in the kitchen on the wall.  One like this:

AT&T 210 Corded Trimline Phone with Speed Dial and Memory Buttons, White

Should the power go out, the portable phones we have are useless since the bases require power to operate, which is why we still have the old school phone, so we can use in the event of an emergency.

We have cell phones, but my daughter doesn't and if something bad happened that would require her to call 911, she knows to use the land line and if the power is out, the one beside the fridge.  Also, say we were ever in a situation where the power was out for 2+ days (very unlikely now), our cell phones are most likely going to be dead, thus having a secure line available in the event of an emergency, since it's rare the phone lines go dead.

On 3/19/2017 at 0:29 PM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Always had a land line, always will.  We have portable phones, but in the event of an emergency we have an old school phone (with a cord) mounted in the kitchen on the wall.  One like this:

[x]

Should the power go out, the portable phones we have are useless since the bases require power to operate, which is why we still have the old school phone, so we can use in the event of an emergency.

We have cell phones, but my daughter doesn't and if something bad happened that would require her to call 911, she knows to use the land line and if the power is out, the one beside the fridge.  Also, say we were ever in a situation where the power was out for 2+ days (very unlikely now), our cell phones are most likely going to be dead, thus having a secure line available in the event of an emergency, since it's rare the phone lines go dead.

I still have a black rotary phone... weighs about 10 pounds, and is made of "Vulcanized Plastic/Rubber"  (i think)

18 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

So what did we all grow up with that we thought was essential that really is no longer relevant? So far home phones, daily newspaper deliveries, and analog clocks...

Home phones are still relevant though.  It may require some extreme circumstances and require a lot of stuff happening to render one's cell phone useless, but there "could" still be a need for one.  Also, considering I work from home, I have to have a separate land line to dedicate to work as all my work calls are routed through the computer which uses that line so I can answer calls on a phone like I did at work.  

35 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Manual crank windows

I guess this is a reponse to the question of what's no longer relevant or needed ?

I don't know, it seems that electric windows malfunction all too often.

Even if you have the money to spend on the hundreds to repair it, if it happens without warning, depending on the circumstances,

it could still leave a person in potentially dire predicaments, or even an emergency.

And from what I've seen, it can be a recurring repair expense.

2 hours ago, Busch1724 said:

So what did we all grow up with that we thought was essential that really is no longer relevant? So far home phones, daily newspaper deliveries, and analog clocks...

i have a home phone, daily newspaper delivery and analog clocks.

suck it, hipster!

8 hours ago, Busch1724 said:

I miss vent windows in the car. 

and ashtrays...what idiot took out ashtrays?

9 hours ago, Jumbo said:

hello? hello? 911? we're out of snacks

"And beer.  don't forget the beer." 

9 hours ago, zoony said:

Wow, yes im quoting this picture.  I actually have this poster sans clock.  Didnt know anyone else had it

whose face did they use for Joe?  Cuz that damn sure ain't Joe.  Looking at it closer, their faces look swapped.:ols:

On 3/19/2017 at 0:08 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

1997...I remember that year. Didn't they refer to them as "car phones" back then ?

To be fair. Land line was around 20 years. I figure my first phone was about 28 years ago. 97 please...I was already completely mobile. 

Car phone...late 80's. 2 hours of talk time though ? Still had to have some quarters for the phone...wait, they don't have those these days. 

Folks don't even know what a beeper is these days. I was thinking of getting one a couple years back... just to see how it would translate to today. 

12 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

To be fair. Land line was around 20 years. I figure my first phone was about 28 years ago. 97 please...I was already completely mobile. 

Car phone...late 80's. 2 hours of talk time though ? Still had to have some quarters for the phone...wait, they don't have those these days. 

Folks don't even know what a beeper is these days. I was thinking of getting one a couple years back... just to see how it would translate to today. 

My hairdresser has one.  She won't let anyone interrupt her greatness. 

12 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

"And beer.  don't forget the beer." 

whose face did they use for Joe?  Cuz that damn sure ain't Joe.  Looking at it closer, their faces look swapped.:ols:

It really does look like it, doesn't it. You are the first to notice , from a picture of it posted on here. :ols:

It has been hanging on my family room wall for decades and not one person has ever said a thing :rofl89:

Archived