Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Now’s the time: Redskins fans should give their hearts to the other local teams

Sticksboi05

1 hour ago, Sticksboi05 said:

It's the same franchise so ... yes the Wizards have been NBA champions before. This isn't like the Nationals taking Senators records. Now the more important thing is it was near 40 years ago so what have you done for us lately.

Nope change the name lose the history simple as that imo (and many others).

1 hour ago, Bang said:

Nah no matter what it tries to be ,, baseball is still just.. baseball.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love baseball and will watch more than 100 games of it on TV this year, i'm sure.

But it's not the same. The drama is not the same from game to game, there is not the thrill of a chase to sustain 6 months of baseball.

I always get a kick out of baseball broadcasts,, they open up with all the energy, all the fast music, all the highlights of big plays, and then they finish the open, and it's 2 balls and 1 strike, and we're waiting for the pitcher.. and it's another ball.... and so, 3 and 1 now, and the pitcher stares in and... Snooze.

The game of baseball, which i dearly love, is mostly two guys playing catch while 8 guys watch. Occasionally a guy might actually hit a ball, and 95% of the time he will be a routine out. In the entire game, there will be hundreds of pitches (snaps, if you will) and only about 8 of them will result in anything meaningful. to correlate to football,  snap,, and hand it back to the center. Reset, and snap... and hand it back to the center. ..etc. etc. etc.

Hell, 75% of baseball teams seasons are done by June. Even a contender..  the games are by and large the same rhythm.. which is slow.

A pitch clock.. wont really help, because all it will do is speed up the game of catch slightly.  Starting a guy on 2nd to begin extra innings? GTFO with thrt ****..  honestly, if they want to speed up the game, recognize people who are watching an extra innings game are not in any hurry.

Baseball can try all it wants to compete with football, but it just isn't able by it's very nature to generate and sustain the same level of drama and excitement through the entire season that football can.

~Bang

Prior to Roger Goodell taking over, I would have agreed with you. However, in today's NFL, it's kickoff, ads, three-and-out, ads, punt, ads, faircatch, ads. "Completed" pass, 20 min discussion on whether it was a catch, 6 minutes explanation by referee that makes sense to no one, brought you by Gilette, the best a man can get. Oh, and there's 15 yards for throwing him to the floor, very roughly...oh and that's a personal foul for farting in the general direction of an opponent. The idiotic rules, oversaturation with the Thursday games, meanwhile trumpeting "player safety," arbitrary suspensions, and basically John Mara doing whatever the hell he wants has killed a lot of my passion for the league itself, outside of the Redskins tomfoolery.

Baseball does have somethings it needs to address: replay is as bad a joke as in the NFL, if not worse, the stupid Utley and Posey rules no one enforces, but I don't think pace of play is one of them. Keep the batter in the box, minimize the mound visits, fix replay (which they've started to do with the 30 second decision window). I thought the MLB playoffs were far more exciting this year than NFL's overall. Add to that the biggest douches in MLB pale in comparison to those in the NFL.

It's a matter of personal preference, and I don't expect you (or anyone in general) to agree with me or change your mind, but MLB is more enjoyable to me, right now. That could change, should they continue some of the dumber things they've been talking about (i.e. starting the 11th inning with runners on 1st & 2nd). There is just too much idiocy in the NFL right now.

15 hours ago, kleese said:

I don't like reacting to information I don't have. All we know is that they fired him. That's it. Everything else is speculation. You have two

parties neither of which has earned the benefit of the doubt. It's reasonable to think the Redskins smaeared SM and it's reasonable to think SM completely fell off the wagon again. History there of both. 

I don't know and clearly the media doesn't either because no one has really actually said anything-- they've simply drawn conclusions based on history. 

Prior to three weeks ago I never heard a negative word about Bruce Allen as a guy. As a matter of fact that take on him was generally good dude/not so great evaluating talent. And after the Kirk "how you like me now" game the media narrative was that SM was the one catching that heat from Kirk and HE was the one not wanting to extend and he was clashing with Allen/Snyder who wanted to get it done. Now, that narrative has flipped. Maybe because it's true but maybe because it's convenient. 

It is possible SM went off the rails and the Redskins had no choice. Maybe they supported him; maybe they could have done more. Or maybe he was totally sober and they completely did it over power and then lied. Who knows. I sure as hell don't. 

So I just go off what I DO KNOW.

--We've had two relatively solid seasons 

--Roster has stabilized 

--We fired a GM

--We extended our coach

--We signed FAs that I like and I think we've generally been smart thus far in the off-season roster-wise

That's about it. The Kirk situation is TBD. The rest of FA is TBD. The draft is TBD. The GM search is TBD. Next season is TBD. 

I am going to wait and see before I make any proclomations. We trade Kirk, we don't hire a GM, we make questionable draft picks, we regress next year in terms of record.... Well, that's when I'll say "looks like they bungled it again." But it is WAY premature for me to go there now. ESPECIALLY if Kirk does sign a LTD-- I think that would be your signal that this was a whole lot of melodrama and maybe we had a GM with a drinking problem who clashed with the team President. And that might be all there is to it. 

In other words, ask me again in November. 

Going off what you know is fine but I'm not thinking about the events of the past few weeks in a vacuum - the firing, scapegoating and general instability is a pattern we've seen for YEARS that always leads to same crappy outcome.

Firing your GM after 2 seasons of relative success does not happen without some off-field drama - obviously SM was fired because of some hodge-podge of drinking issues and/or power struggle. 

If Bruce and Dan removed SM because of some power struggle related to control or some sort of disagreement over personnel preferences, I'm afraid to see what the organization will look like in a year or two. Compare the roster management track records of Bruce and/or Dan versus Scott and let me know which one you'd rather have making those decisions. 

If SM's drinking was so heavy that he couldn't do his job, then that is a reasonable cause to fire him. But until someone comes out on the record and refutes or confirms this, then all you can do is make judgments based on the information available. That being said, I find it highly unlikely that SM was a disastrous drunk for 18 months with not so much as a rumor making it out of Ashburn until Cooley's on-air speculation. 

Add to that Bruce/Danny's refusal to tamp down any speculation about SM's drinking after Cooley decided to throw it out on the airwaves. Then, on the day they fire SM they leak a semi-official team statement to WaPo (anonymously) that he was, in fact, a drunk and contributed almost nothing to the recent success of the team. Even if you buy that story hook, line and sinker AND you don't think power struggle had anything to do with the firing - how can you give the Skins a pass for the way they've dragged SM through the mud?

Nothing about this firing is normal or just part of some humdrum NFL offseason. It's another very ugly blemish to add to all the other crap this organization has pulled since Snyder bought the team.

I get that you're using the wait and see approach on all of this but I'm just completely burned out on that. It's become way too hard to find the pride in rooting for a Snyder run organization that is synonymous with pettiness, backstabbing, implosion, etc.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Prior to Roger Goodell taking over, I would have agreed with you. However, in today's NFL, it's kickoff, ads, three-and-out, ads, punt, ads, faircatch, ads. "Completed" pass, 20 min discussion on whether it was a catch, 6 minutes explanation by referee that makes sense to no one, brought you by Gilette, the best a man can get. Oh, and there's 15 yards for throwing him to the floor, very roughly...oh and that's a personal foul for farting in the general direction of an opponent. The idiotic rules, oversaturation with the Thursday games, meanwhile trumpeting "player safety," arbitrary suspensions, and basically John Mara doing whatever the hell he wants has killed a lot of my passion for the league itself, outside of the Redskins tomfoolery.

Speaking of player safety...Just think how many injuries could be prevented if you could dress out all 53!  That's 8 more players that you could throw into the mix to play on special teams.  A lot of injuries occur when a player is fatigued.  While we're on the subject.  Why can't rosters go to 60?!?!  Big time Colleges find a way to travel 75 plus! 

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

So you are saying the Washington Wizards won in 1978? Really that is what you are arguing? Sounds silly doesn't it?  No, the Wizards have never been champions.

The Washington Wizards franchise won in 1978. Wow, see how easy that was.

17 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

The Washington Wizards franchise won in 1978. Wow, see how easy that was.

Have the "Wizards" been champions? You guys really can't say that without twisting yourselves into pretzels and you know it. I bet  I'm a lot more comfortable and accurate saying the Wizards have never been champions than you are in saying that they have.

7 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Have the "Wizards" been champions? You guys really can't say that without twisting yourselves into pretzels and you know it. I bet  I'm a lot more comfortable and accurate saying the Wizards have never been champions than you are in saying that they have.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue or even why really. Its the same exact franchise, they just changed their name. If/when the Redskins change their name, they'll still be a 3x Super Bowl winning franchise, because its the same franchise. I can't believe this even needs to be debated. Come on man.

For me, I could give a rats ass about the other Washington teams. And, it's not the teams, so much as I don't care about the other sports like I do football. I used to like baseball ok..................but you have to go back to when Eddie Murry and Cal Rypken played for the Orioles.

Basketball? Stopped watching that in the early 90''s as I just got sick of the players. But when I did watch, I was more of a 76ers fan, back when you had Mo Cheeks, Dr. J, Andrew Tony, Bobby Jones, Moses, and the rest.

Never got into Hockey. Can't tell you why, just never really did.

So, not jumping ship for another Washington team, sorry.

21 hours ago, nonniey said:

So you are saying the Washington Wizards won in 1978? Really that is what you are arguing? Sounds silly doesn't it?  No, the Wizards have never been champions.

Washington Bullets/Washington Wizards

John Wall is the all-time steals leader for the Washington Bullets/Washington Wizards.

Same franchise...the same franchise that won a title in 1978.

The fact that you won't acknowledge it doesn't make it so. :)

Love the Nats and Caps, but it's still been the same ultimate season ending result as the Skins.  Playoffs, the one and done.  Maybe even tougher than with the Skins since both Nats and Caps shouldve made real runs.  No one could've realistically expected that out of the Skins playoff appearances.  

19 hours ago, nonniey said:

No, the situation you're describing would be if the current Winnipeg Jets (former Atlanta Thrashers) tried to take credit for what the old Winnipeg Jets did. If the team had moved cities, your ridiculous argument might have a point. For example, Indy fans pumping themselves up for what the Colts did in Baltimore, but that's a completely different situation.

So hypothetically, if the Bullets had won the 1996 NBA title, there would have been no point in having a ceremony on opening night the next season because they changed names. Do I have that correct? The players and coaches couldn't accept the rings because they changed the name on the front of the jersey? 

Yeah, sounds dumb to me too.

19 hours ago, nonniey said:

The Wizards won a championship back when they were still called the Bullets.

Easy.

On 3/14/2017 at 2:28 PM, ThomasRoane said:

Speaking of player safety...Just think how many injuries could be prevented if you could dress out all 53!  That's 8 more players that you could throw into the mix to play on special teams.  A lot of injuries occur when a player is fatigued.  While we're on the subject.  Why can't rosters go to 60?!?!  Big time Colleges find a way to travel 75 plus! 

Increasing the roster size means either more spending by the owners or a cut in average salaries by the players. I don't think either side is interested in that at this moment.

I do not understand why the 8 players on the practice squad can't dress and/or play. I think they should be able to.

Archived