Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

15 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Ok but at this point what exactly do you want the team to do, not being argumentative but just curious?  I want a true NT but we could not address the position in FA as there were only 3 guys out there and they chose other options or in the case of Hankins got lucky and found a team willing to overpay.  I think we all agree the draft does not include a dominant NT and honestly it is not a position that tends to be a feature in the first couple of rounds due to not being an every down position.

Speaking personally if we go heavy on defense in this draft and that includes one of the better NT prospects in the 3rd or 4th round I will accept the team has done what it can to address the position this time around.  What would you consider acceptable at this point?

Of course. What I didn't want is HAVE to take one because we don't have one. Now, we have to, and we might have to reach in order to get one. But this should have been taken care of 4-5 years ago.

9 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

I agree with you. Was just saying it's not accurate historically. Levon Kirkland wouldn't be an ILB today, nor would Teddy Bruschi.

The pluggers at ILB aren't needed, and that may be causing some of the run stopping issues. 

Kirkland could fly. He was really good on pass coverage. The fact that he was 270 just made him a freak.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

If your lemons suck, your lemonaids gonna suck.

We don't have any lemons. We've got two old busted trees that don't produce fruit anymore. We absolutely have to hit the market.

We have 3 picks, in the perfect position to grab at least one of the NTs in the 4rth.

I'd reach with our 3rd for one too. Id also take two.

If our draft went McDowell, Wormley, Adams, Qualls I wouldn't be mad at all.

Yeah am ok with all of that, except unsure about Mcdowell.  But I agree with the spirit of this point, go nuts on the D line.

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah am ok with all of that, except unsure about Mcdowell.  But I agree with the spirit of this point, go nuts on the D line.

We could spend all ten + picks on defense, even the just the front 7 and I'd be happy with it. Attack the problem. 

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We could spend all ten + picks on defense, even the just the front 7 and I'd be happy with it. Attack the problem. 

Agree.  If I recall some of your other posts we are on the same page except for I am maybe a little more ok than you are with a running back in round 1 or 2.  It's not that I prefer a RB in either round but if they take one, I am fine with it.   But I'd be fine if they went defense in every round.  

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  If I recall some of your other posts we are on the same page except for I am maybe a little more ok than you are with a running back in round 1 or 2.  It's not that I prefer a RB in either round but if they take one, I am fine with it.   But I'd be fine if they went defense in every round.  

Yeah, Im fine with our current stable, especially with Mack too. Howard in the first is my exception, but I doubt he gets past 12.

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, Im fine with our current stable, especially with Mack too. Howard in the first is my exception, but I doubt he gets past 12.

I just can't remember the last time we had a featured RB who could go to the house on any play.  So if Jay sees that magic in any of those guys, I'd be ok with it.  But the offense is loaded, the defense stinks so I am on board with the premise of fix that problem first and foremost.

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I just can't remember the last time we had a featured RB who could go to the house on any play.  So if Jay sees that magic in any of those guys, I'd be ok with it.  But the offense is loaded, the defense stinks so I am on board with the premise of fix that problem first and foremost.

Portis, Clinton.

:ols:

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

two points completely unrelated to your post, but....

1)  Who remembers when Clinton Portis took that first carry of his to the house???  Oh my god that was unbelievable, I thought we were Super Bowl bound...but in true Redskins form, I think he scored one more TD the next 10 weeks or something like that and we lost our next 5 in a row or so

2)  Anyone know anything about the status of Keith Marshall?  Is he going to be able to compete for a spot this year?  I still hold out some hope for him

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Exactly.  I would love to see them attack DL like the Panthers did in 2013.  Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short in the 1st two rounds.

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Portis, Clinton.

:ols:

I liked Clinton Portis but Clinton at his prime was long ago or at least long enough for me.  But yeah a RB at Clinton's caliber I'd dig.  Cinton didn't have the same homerun ability here that he did in Denver but the dude was dynamic. 

18 minutes ago, petedaddy said:

1)  Who remembers when Clinton Portis took that first carry of his to the house???  Oh my god that was unbelievable, I thought we were Super Bowl bound...but in true Redskins form, I think he scored one more TD the next 10 weeks or something like that and we lost our next 5 in a row or so

I was at that game.  The Gibbs return -- beating Tampa.  Great memory.

There's a lot of talk about the Draft in this FA thread.  I don't mind, but been following the thread awhile and going into details about the draft is way off topic while we're supposed to be discussing the FAs.  FA is about finished for that matter, however maybe we can get a merge with FA/Draft Acquisitions.  Alot of the posts, including mine, use references to addressing filling the remaining holes with the draft.  :cheers:

5 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

There's a lot of talk about the Draft in this FA thread.  I don't mind, but been following the thread awhile and going into details about the draft is way off topic while we're supposed to be discussing the FAs.  FA is about finished for that matter, however maybe we can get a merge with FA/Draft Acquisitions.  Alot of the posts, including mine, use references to addressing filling the remaining holes with the draft.  :cheers:

Id rather keep the chatter out of the draft thread. Draft is less than a couple weeks away so we're all excited.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Id rather keep the chatter out of the draft thread. Draft is less than a couple weeks away so we're all excited.

I hear ya...There's just alot of good points being made here and since the draft is coming up I wouldn't want to lose the discussions because they turn draft related.  Maybe they can amend the topic to include the potential draft acquisitions.  If enough peeps agree then we won't lose the pace of the points being made about filling the holes, as this threads headed that way.

11 hours ago, petedaddy said:

Oh I rememeber that, I THINK plain as day...excited to have him, but unsure of whether what we gave up was worth it.  Then his very first run was amazing, and visions of that happening every game danced through my head.  If I remember correctly, it was a counter play, and it was to the right side.

Every year it's the same deal here once we get into the final month or so pre-draft. It starts to filter into every thread, really. 

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that since it's extremely relevant to just about any topic right now. 

So, yeah, the chatter here is fine. Just don't start posting YouTube breakdowns of prospects or some crap. :) 

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

He had a down year last season, but was dominant against the run in 2015.  29 year old NT.  I definitely want us to kick the tires on this guy and see if we can get him on an incentive-based contract.

agree, was just about to post something similar.   It would also help give some flexibility in the draft where they wouldn't be so under the gun to draft a nose.

2 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

What happened to him last year? Not a good sign that he got cut after a down year. Suggests they don't think he can bounce back. 

Unless it was was cap-related. Interested in hearing more. 

Reading it's somewhat cap related, 4.5 million savings, no dead money

In 2015, he was an elite run stopper -- clearly they have to figure what the drop off is.  But if they aren't too concerned and can get him cheap, he might be worthwhile.  Right now whose the nose?

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2016/5/19/11714518/dan-williams-was-top-3-nfl-run-stopper-in-2015-oakland-raiders-encore

Among the Raiders free agent haul last offseason was former Cardinals defensive tackle Dan Williams. He wasn't as celebrated as top free agent addition, Rodney Hudson or even perhaps former Super Bowl MVP Malcolm Smith. But Williams had just as big of an impact.

According to Pro Football Focus, the big defensive tackle was among the best run stoppers in the league.

Best run-stop percentage among DT/NTs last season:

1. Damon Harrison, NYJ
2. Bennie Logan, PHI
3. Dan Williams, OAK
4. Malcom Brown, NE

•  

What's more impressive about Williams' performance is he did it without a lot of help. The team didn't have a natural 3-tech defensive tackle, which meant Williams -- a nose tackle by trade -- was pulling those duties as well. Early in the season, he had Justin Tuck next to him at the defensive end spot until Tuck was lost to a shoulder injury just five games in.

Tuck was replaced by rookie Mario Edwards Jr who would come on strong in the second half of the season, looking like an upgrade at the position, before his season also came to an end in week 14.

One thing Williams has always proven is his ability to clog the middle of the defensive line. The Raiders went to get him some help by selecting Jihad Ward in the second round to put in that 3-tech DT spot. Mario Edwards Jr is cleared to play from his neck injury too.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In 2015, he was an elite run stopper -- clearly they have to figure what the drop off is.  But if they aren't too concerned and can get him cheap, he might be worthwhile.  Right now whose the nose?

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2016/5/19/11714518/dan-williams-was-top-3-nfl-run-stopper-in-2015-oakland-raiders-encore

Among the Raiders free agent haul last offseason was former Cardinals defensive tackle Dan Williams. He wasn't as celebrated as top free agent addition, Rodney Hudson or even perhaps former Super Bowl MVP Malcolm Smith. But Williams had just as big of an impact.

According to Pro Football Focus, the big defensive tackle was among the best run stoppers in the league.

Best run-stop percentage among DT/NTs last season:

1. Damon Harrison, NYJ
2. Bennie Logan, PHI
3. Dan Williams, OAK
4. Malcom Brown, NE

•  

Good stuff SIP. And you are right, outside of Phil Taylor and um....Mu, we don't have a NT. Did you find anything that might signal as to why such a big drop off? I know for instance, McGee went down. Did he have any help?

Archived