Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

1 minute ago, MEANDWARF said:

I'm just glad we are not the ones that forked out 10 mil.. Colts must be desperate for DL help. 

bet it's backloaded

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

Well, I'm not going to loose sleep over not getting him at that price. On to the draft, or get Phil Taylor some magic legs. (say that in a Forest Gump voice, it works better)

AJ Francis and Joey Mbu are the exact type of players Chris Baker was.  Maybe they will do something

4 minutes ago, MEANDWARF said:

In other words 10 mil now then cut him when the season is over and he'll do the same thing next year. Still happy that we pass.

in other words he's not actually going to get his price, is what I meant

13 minutes ago, carex said:

AJ Francis and Joey Mbu are the exact type of players Chris Baker was.  Maybe they will do something

Maybe. But is that REALLY how you want to address a starting position? "Maybe one of these guys that hasn't done anything, we can just throw in there and he's all of a sudden legit".

Baker worked his way up as a starter, he wasn't just "thrown" in there and hoped for the best. Neither one of these guys has.

No, depending on how the draft falls, we really need to get a NT in the 4th, unless it looks like there is a run, and then reach for one in the 3rd. But we really need to do it. Unless you want a completely outmatched Ziggy Hood there again.

And even though I like him, he has no business playing NT. He needs to be player DE.

7 minutes ago, Butters20 said:

Damn. Giants line looking more fragile. They still have 3 marquee guys but now no depth after that guy retired and now Hankins leaving.  Good! 

Maybe one of us can invite JPP to a 4th of July picnic this year. And have lots of Sparklers.

Too soon? :silly:

1 minute ago, CTskin said:

One less good player on the Giants.

This might hurt them more than we thought. It's buried in this thread, but someone posted a stat that showed when Hankins was out of the lineup last year, the Giants run D dropped to LAST PLACE in the NFL. This might do just more than sting.

23 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

So now that the good, young DL is off the market can we start up the "Bring washed up bodies" train going again? I wouldn't hate kicking the tires on Sen'Derrick Marks for cheap. Let him compete in camp ala ziggy hood 

Well, there are much worse guys. I suppose age and injuries (ACL, torn triceps tendon) would be a concern, but hell, he was a pretty good player until then.

With the lack of options, I'd probably be calling him right now.

Edit: He's also a 3 down NT, can rush the passer.

6 hours ago, RWJ said:

Who would you like to see them fill those positions with in the draft, SIP?

Depends on what rounds we are dealing with but lets say its round 1-5

Round 1: Reddick (could be used as edge rusher or MLB), T. McKinley (edge), M. McDowell (5 technique -- tough for me to get over his personality issues, though)

Round 2: Wormley (5 technique), Kpassagnon (5 technqiue -- might be a third rounder), Jordan Willis (edge), C. Lawson (edge)

Round 3:  Demarcus Walker (5 technique-pass rusher), Dalvin Tomlinson (NT), E. Qualls (NT), M. Adams (NT or 5 tech), Ogunjobi (5 tech)

Round 4-5th:  Vincent Taylor (NT), Tanzel Smart (5 technique),  D. Rivers (edge), Stevie Tuikolovatu (NT)

I like D. Barnett and he maybe could work if he can play inside some but he'd be another power rusher as opposed to speed guy. Taco Charlton would be a projection as a 5 technqiue -- he's a maybe IMO. I dig Charles Harris as a pass rusher but tough for me to get over his slow 40 time.  

In the first round I am open to anything and not so sure any of these positions will be BPA.  I am ok with most of the guys projected in mocks that the draft geeks slate to the Redskins.  The only guy that bugs me that I see in mocks quite a bit is J. Peppers.  Peppers seems to me to be a man without a position.  I am having a hard time digging him.  I think the 2nd-4th round picks are sweet spots for these positions, especially the third.  

If I did it my way with a stroke of luck with people falling but I think somewhat realistic

1. H. Reddick  MLB-edge rusher (I wouldn't hate Cook even though some here would have issues with it)

2. Kamara or Mixon -- (if they took Cook, then Wormley or D. Walker)

3. Ogonjobi or M. Adams (5 technique and backup NT)

4. best secondary player left (Maye, E. Jackson, Witherspoon, J. Lewis, C. Sutton, R. Douglas)

4.Derrick Rivers (edge rusher)

5. Stevie Tuikolovatu (NT)

47 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

This might hurt them more than we thought. It's buried in this thread, but someone posted a stat that showed when Hankins was out of the lineup last year, the Giants run D dropped to LAST PLACE in the NFL. This might do just more than sting.

yeah I've been on this track for awhile, seem clear the Redskins weren't pursuing Hankins so as I said a couple of weeks or so ago, best case scenario might be Hankins ending up elsewhere.  So I like it.

6 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

@Skinsinparadise absolutely love those options/scenarios 

thanks, if you buy into some of the mocks the two big names that might be a surpise fall to #17 are M. Hooker or R. Foster.  That might be interesting. I doubt both fall but there seems to be a small but a fighting chance that one of them does.  If you buy into what the media has said of late Reddick won't get past Indy and the Saints likely take him before that.    I wonder what it means if anything as to Indy landing Hankins -- maybe it would make them more comfortable to go O line with Lamp or take one of the running backs.

Just now, Morneblade said:

@Skinsinparadise

Barnett should be able to play DE in our nickle, but I don't know if his frame will allow him to get much bigger. At 6'3 and 260 he's already pretty thick and probably maxed out. He's strong though and is a very hard working. He might be more of a Kerrigan type of guy with a better hands.

If Barnett is as consistent as some say he is, I can dig that as a pick.  I don't think the idea that we have all power rushers is the biggest problem -- I think its that none of these guys consistently get to the QB.  I want a pass rusher who brings heat every game.   I've noticed PFF is in love with Barnett.  Based on who the Redskins are interviewing, it seems like they want a guy in the 270-280 pound range that they can move inside   on passing downs. Barnett is close enough to that weight wise.   If Tomsula loves Barnett which I'd assume would be the case if that's whom they dracft -- I can embrace the pick.  

For Tanoh Kpassagnon ... he's listed a lot of places as an EDGE ... but at 6'7 280 ... he seems like he'd fill out nicely as a Calais Campbell type player ... inside pass rusher ... and a 3-4 END ... anyone else prescribe him differently?

Give me this one:

Late 1st (Trade Down): Best EDGE remaining ... Barnett / Charlton / Harris / Watt

2nd: Joe Mixon

2nd (From trade down): best defender available from S/CB/ILB/DL

3rd: Tanoh Kpassagnon as a project END or another top DL

4th: Pocic if he's there or another OL Depth pick

4th: Best defender available

5th: NT

5th and on: depth depth depth

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Barnett is as consistent as some say he is, I can dig that as a pick.  I don't think the idea that we have all power rushers is the biggest problem -- I think its that none of these guys consistently get to the QB.  I want a pass rusher who brings heat every game.   I've noticed PFF is in love with Barnett.  Based on who the Redskins are interviewing, it seems like they want a guy in the 270-280 pound range that they can move inside   on passing downs. Barnett is close enough to that weight wise.   If Tomsula loves Barnett which I'd assume would be the case if that's whom they dracft -- I can embrace the pick.  

I watch a lot of Tennessee football. I was born in Knoxville and was a walk on WR before I dislocated my ankle badly in as a Freshman, so I really keep track of what is going on there. Barrnett has a serious motor. Not the best athlete, but strong and very technically sound. If he is nothing else, he is 100% on every play. He's not sexy, but a definite hardhat guy.

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

For Tanoh Kpassagnon ... he's listed a lot of places as an EDGE ... but at 6'7 280 ... he seems like he'd fill out nicely as a Calais Campbell type player ... inside pass rusher ... and a 3-4 END ... anyone else prescribe him differently?

Give me this one:

Late 1st (Trade Down): Best EDGE remaining ... Barnett / Charlton / Harris / Watt

2nd: Joe Mixon

2nd (From trade down): best defender available from S/CB/ILB/DL

3rd: Tanoh Kpassagnon as a project END or another top DL

4th: Pocic if he's there or another OL Depth pick

4th: Best defender available

5th: NT

5th and on: depth depth depth

I think that's a high pick for a small school project. No NT until the 5th is really sketchy to me, and I think you can get someone like Tomlinson in the 3rd. I think you can get him later.

42 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I think that's a high pick for a small school project. No NT until the 5th is really sketchy to me, and I think you can get someone like Tomlinson in the 3rd. I think you can get him later.

On Tonah:  It depends on how accurate mocks are.  I've seen Tanoh in the 2nd round in a share of mocks. But mostly 3rd.  So mid third seems about right.  The lowest I see him on occasion is the 4th.   As for the small school component:  he has plenty of company with prospects projected to go high:  Corey Davis, Cooper Kupp, Gerald Everett, Zay Jones, Forrest Lamp, Adam Sheehan, Obi Melifonwu, Larry Ogwunjobi.

My main interest in Tanoh is Garafalo saying the Redskins are interested in him.  If they are I'd presume Tomsula thinks he can mold him into something special. 11 sacks for a guy who played part time -- who is huge but is also athletic -- that's enticing IMO.

As for taking a NT in the 5th -- that's going more on Jay's suggesting that Tomsula traditionally doesn't need a high pick for a nose or he said something to that effect.  I like Tomlinson in fact I've probably mentioned him in at least 5 posts on this thread and I took him on the GHH mock draft in the 3rd round for the Dolphins.   I put Tomlinson as a possibity in the post you responded to but when I picked players round by round, while trying to stay realistic, it didn't flow that way for me to select him.  That's the one thing that stinks about the draft, some of your favorite players end up elsewhere, you can't get them all.  

On Tonah:  It depends on how accurate mocks are.  I've seen Tanoh in the 2nd round in a share of mocks. But mostly 3rd.  So mid third seems about right.  The lowest I see him on occasion is the 4th.   As for the small school component:  he has plenty of company with prospects projected to go high:  Corey Davis, Cooper Kupp, Gerald Everett, Zay Jones, Forrest Lamp, Adam Sheehan, Obi Melifonwu, Larry Ogwunjobi.

That could all be true, I just don't feel that good about Tanoh. To me it's a reach but that's just my opinion. I honestly don't know much about him, but one thing I read said that he might not be that interested in football. He's a really bright double major that has already interned at PricewaterhouseCoopers. And he's really raw.

As for taking a NT in the 5th -- that's going more on Jay's suggesting that Tomsula traditionally doesn't need a high pick for a nose or he said something to that effect.  I like Tomlinson in fact I've probably mentioned him in at least 5 posts on this thread and I took him on the GHH mock draft in the 3rd round for the Dolphins.   I put Tomlinson as a possibity in the post you responded to but when I picked players round by round, while trying to stay realistic, it didn't flow that way for me to select him.  That's the one thing that stinks about the draft, some of your favorite players end up elsewhere, you can't get them all.  

I know. That part is what concerns me. Jay just seems to think that Tomsula can make something from nothing, and it really bothers me. The DL has been an afterthought since he has been here, and NT even less so. I'm actually really concerned we'll end up drafting 2-3 offensive players early and then wonder why the defense is tanking again mid-season.

2 hours ago, carex said:

bet it's backloaded

It's only a 3 year deal and $15 mil is guaranteed, so likely not very backloaded. 

I'm glad we didn't offer that to him. Giants fans were saying they didn't want to pay him the money he was looking for as he was a 2 down only DL and offered almost nothing in the pass rush, having just 1 good season in sacks and that they attributed to coverage sacks since he did little the years prior. For a run stop only NT we can draft one in the later rounds. If I'm allocating $10mil+ a year for a NT I want some pass rush. Poe and LOgan didn't get this kind of money and they were better free agents.

Been doing a lot of inner debate on McDowell, & i have fully jumped back on board.  I love about 90% of what i see on tape.  When i thought at length about his personality issues, i came away thinking that we have a fair amount of bodies to mitigate the need for him to be an absolute hit.  You take a high risk/reward ratio with him, but i just see such a massive drop off after him that i don't like the idea of passing up on him for those issues,  as much as i would be ok with the risk on his personality.  Considering who has been removed from the locker-room, & the addition of Thomsula...i think we are in a good position to try to maximize his potential, rather than sabotage it.

He still wouldn't be my favorite...but as much as I'm hearing these other names, i would much rather have McDowell, & then add some guy to play NT, or edge in day 3.

The other thing that has me a bit meh about taking these edge guys that keep getting mentioned is that most of them just seem like Kerrigan clones.  Rush is maximized from the left side of the D, same abilities, ceiling about the same....about the only guy who isn't beholden to this is Reddick because many feel he can play ILB in the NFL.  As for the Reddick debate, i have Peppers rated as a higher BPA because i have their positions at a wash...either one doesn't have much tape at the positiom they are figured to play in the NFL.  I have Peppers as a better athlete, who can rush from multiple spots on 3rd down...same as Reddick.  But Peppers will contribute on STs right away, & i feel like he is a more instictual football player.  All in all...both are DWs, or "defensive weapons," who fill a bit of missing nuance, but ultimately also resemble duplication on the roster.

How would some of you feel if we took:

1) McCaffrey/Adoree

2) Montravius Adams

3) Carlos Watkins/Dalvin Tomlinson

Or

1) McDowell

2) TJ Watt/Montravius Adams

3) Tanoh Kpassagnon/Carlos Watkins

In either scenario...how would you feel moving back UP into the late 1st, or early 2nd (keeping 2nd) as opposed to moving back (unlikely)?  Something else that has been making me itch is what if...

17) McDowell

Move back into 20's using 2 4th rounders(?)

2nd 1st rounder - Adoree Jackson/Peppers/Brantley/Cunningham

49) TJ Watt/Montravius Adams/Brantley

Archived