Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

7 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

If they were to pay Hankins $7M he becomes the 4th highest paid NT in the NFL. And that's only because Logan is on a 1 yr $8M contract. The next highest would be $5.5M. If reports are to be believed his own team is only offering about $5M/yr. At least right now he has priced himself out. Yes, we need a NT. But you can't just spend whatever. It's not like we are that one player from a SB.

I get what you're saying, but his own team also has the best NT in the league with Snacks Harrison.  Hankins is somewhat redundant on that DL, but I'm sure they'd be happy to get him back at $5M/yr.  You can bet if they didn't have Snacks, Hankins likely never would have hit FA, or would have been re-signed the first week into it.

We, unfortunately, have nothing close to Snacks on our team.  Thus, the need to pay more than the Giants for Hankin's services. 

2 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I just found out like a minute ago that we signed Brian Quick.  Apparently I'm not reading this thread often enough haha.  I like that acquisition, he's a solid WR and adds quality depth.

Gotta be Quicker than that.

4 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

That's just not true. They brought Bennie Logan in and talked to him for 2 days. Either they didn't like what they saw or he didn't want to paly here. We are one of now 3 teams even in the conversation for Hankins. So to say they are treating as an afterthought is a bit of an exaggeration.

I disagree. When you look at the lack of talent that has been given to the DL area has a whole, it's been bottom barrel, you can't even think of denying it. Last year we didn't even have a NT on the roster. We went with 4-3 DT Golston and when he went down we went with 3-4 DE Hood. Before that, last year was the only time we actually had once since we switched over to a 3-4, and we let him go after one year. Since Shanahan switched us over, we're had a NT for one year. That is ignoring the position.

If they were to pay Hankins $7M he becomes the 4th highest paid NT in the NFL. And that's only because Logan is on a 1 yr $8M contract. The next highest would be $5.5M. If reports are to be believed his own team is only offering about $5M/yr. At least right now he has priced himself out. Yes, we need a NT. But you can't just spend whatever. It's not like we are that one player from a SB.

If they can get him for just over $5M or maybe $5.5M take a run at him. Otherwise, move on. $7M to $8M is entirely too much for him IMO.

We can agree to disagree there.

Let's see what the draft does bring - which is exactly what I think teams are doing. Also, I believe the upgrades in the other parts of the defense will help mitigate the lack of a dominant NT. That does not mean we don't need one. But let's get carried away with the importance - at least not right now.

It's just April. Let's see what Tomsula and Manusky put together.

NT is the cornerstone of the 3-4. We will most certainly disagree on "getting carried away with the importance" of it.

5 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Have we a confirmed interest outside of that Twitter rumor

Not that I have seen. The rumor said 1 other mystery team, and then a couple days later the Colts came up. I doubt it was us.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

John Kiem - who has been right more than wrong - stating the team had interest isn't enough? It's enough for me. No real reason for him to make that up. ALso, interest could have been - how much? Are you ****ing crazy? Call us when you get real.

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

John Kiem - who has been right more than wrong - stating the team had interest isn't enough? It's enough for me. No real reason for him to make that up. ALso, interest could have been - how much? Are you ****ing crazy? Call us when you get real.

Hadn't seen that. That's why I asked. Jesus, take a calming pill or something.

I guess I should say thanks for answering.

13 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I disagree. When you look at the lack of talent that has been given to the DL area has a whole, it's been bottom barrel, you can't even think of denying it. Last year we didn't even have a NT on the roster. We went with 4-3 DT Golston and when he went down we went with 3-4 DE Hood. Before that, last year was the only time we actually had once since we switched over to a 3-4, and we let him go after one year. Since Shanahan switched us over, we're had a NT for one year. That is ignoring the position.

We can agree to disagree there.

NT is the cornerstone of the 3-4. We will most certainly disagree on "getting carried away with the importance" of it.

Not that I have seen. The rumor said 1 other mystery team, and then a couple days later the Colts came up. I doubt it was us.

You are not saying anything we don't know about the importance of the NT. However, right now, in April, with lots of offseason left to go, and the ridiculous asking price for these guys, I can see why the team has not pulled the trigger on anyone.

You fix the things you can and fix the others later. It takes patience to rebuild properly.

8 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Hadn't seen that. That's why I asked. Jesus, take a calming pill or something.

I guess I should say thanks for answering.

I thought everyone had seen the John Kiem thing as it was all over the place - reported by a dozen different outlets. Was not trying to be an ass. Just saying it was enough for me.

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, it's a valid point that NT is the most important position in a 3-4 and thus a crucial one to address ... and you're risking reaching in the draft when you have such a void (and the draft is a crapshoot).  

Yeah, I know we pretty much agree overall. But I don't know if you were directing this at me or @Morneblade, because it's kind of addressing some convergence of our points... so I wanted to separate them, lol. 

Morneblade is more specific about his desire for a NT. I agree with him, but not to the same extent. 

For me, it's more about an impactful Dlineman ANYWHERE. Doesn't have to be the Nose. I actually believe you can find those guys with lower draft picks or generally cheaper assets. 

I want an interior guy that is disruptive and can penetrate consistently. Could be a 0, 3, or 5 tech. Preferably a guy versatile enough to line up at all three spots and everywhere in between. A guy who'll almost never lose at the LOS, can take on double teams and even win against them at times. Someone teams have to really scheme around. 

I would've been ecstatic with any of Campbell, Hankins, Poe, Logan, or Brandon Williams. Differing styles and all. 

Without that I fear we're going to still suffer considerably and the improvements Brown, Swearinger or anyone else behind them bring will be negated. Even at edge, if the QB is confident he'll almost always have a pocket to step into when he drops back, it makes it damn near impossible for those guys to get to him. 

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

You are not saying anything we don't know about the importance of the NT. However, right now, in April, with lots of offseason left to go, and the ridiculous asking price for these guys, I can see why the team has not pulled the trigger on anyone.

You fix the things you can and fix the others later. It takes patience to rebuild properly.

if I'm not saying anything thing we don't already know, explain the complete lack of effort to get NT before this year? It's been 7 years. It's been a complete afterthought.

As for the draft, there is nothing top shelf about the about the NT class this year. I've already touched on this numerous times. We might get someone that will have to start, but it's not likely he will be "starter quality".

17 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

No, we have not. The Redskins and their interest has not been officially disclosed or rumored in any real capacity. Other than a suggestion by Kiem (not worth batting an eye at) and some fan on twitter.

We are not in position to land him at $10 or $8 million dollars.

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I know. I respect your honesty.

Actually, I left out a critical word. It's supposed to say - not. Typing too fast. I have corrected. I do apologize for that. It was an accident.

19 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I get what you're saying, but his own team also has the best NT in the league with Snacks Harrison.  Hankins is somewhat redundant on that DL, but I'm sure they'd be happy to get him back at $5M/yr.  You can bet if they didn't have Snacks, Hankins likely never would have hit FA, or would have been re-signed the first week into it.

We, unfortunately, have nothing close to Snacks on our team.  Thus, the need to pay more than the Giants for Hankin's services. 

I have no problem with the team paying him more. Just not 50% more. Anything more than $6M is too much - at least I believe so. Also, not sure I agree he is redundant. He had 816 snaps last year. Harrison had 720. Together they were a force. Both were in for most snaps. They will need to replace him if he leaves.

8 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I know. I respect your honesty.

Lol, alright I'll step in here. 

I think @goskins10 should've put quotes in his post here because I read it wrong like you did at first, but knowing him I knew that couldn't be what he meant so I read it again. Look at it with quotes: 

ohn Kiem - who has been right more than wrong - stating the team had interest isn't enough? It's enough for me. No real reason for him to make that up. ALso, interest could have been - "how much? Are you ****ing crazy? Call us when you get real."

He wasn't directing that part at you, but I see why you thought so. He was saying that's what the team could've said. :ols: 

Just now, thesubmittedone said:

I think @goskins10 should've put quotes in his post here because I read it wrong like you did at first, but knowing him I knew that couldn't be what he meant so I read it again. Look at it with quotes: 

He wasn't directing that part at you, but I see why you thought so. He was saying that's what the team could've said. :ols: 

Actually, it was my fault. I left the most critical word out by accident. I did correct it and again offer my apologies.

1 minute ago, thesubmittedone said:

See latest post :movefast:

Just now, goskins10 said:

Actually, it was my fault. I left the most critical word out by accident. I did correct it and again offer my apologies.

No I don't think you realize why he got offended. Unless I'm wrong, too. I think he thought you were saying the part about "are you crazy, get real" to him, lol. Which when I read it first I did too. 

31 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

That's just not true. They brought Bennie Logan in and talked to him for 2 days. Either they didn't like what they saw or he didn't want to paly here. We are one of now 3 teams even in the conversation for Hankins. So to say they are treating as an afterthought is a bit of an exaggeration.

If they can get him for just over $5M or maybe $5.5M take a run at him. Otherwise, move on. $7M to $8M is entirely too much for him IMO.

Let's see what the draft does bring - which is exactly what I think teams are doing. Also, I believe the upgrades in the other parts of the defense will help mitigate the lack of a dominant NT. That does not mean we don't need one. But let's get carried away with the importance - at least not right now.

It's just April. Let's see what Tomsula and Manusky put together.

Where have you seen anything about the Redskins being in on Hankins?.

HTTR 

20 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I have not seen this either, it's not on the twitter thread and I don't use it. link?

14 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Yeah, I know we pretty much agree overall. But I don't know if you were directing this at me or @Morneblade, because it's kind of addressing some convergence of our points... so I wanted to separate them, lol. 

Morneblade is more specific about his desire for a NT. I agree with him, but not to the same extent. 

For me, it's more about an impactful Dlineman ANYWHERE. Doesn't have to be the Nose. I actually believe you can find those guys with lower draft picks or generally cheaper assets. 

I want an interior guy that is disruptive and can penetrate consistently. Could be a 0, 3, or 5 tech. Preferably a guy versatile enough to line up at all three spots and everywhere in between. A guy who'll almost never lose at the LOS, can take on double teams and even win against them at times. Someone teams have to really scheme around. 

I would've been ecstatic with any of Campbell, Hankins, Poe, Logan, or Brandon Williams. Differing styles and all. 

Without that I fear we're going to still suffer considerably and the improvements Brown, Swearinger or anyone else behind them bring will be negated. Even at edge, if the QB is confident he'll almost always have a pocket to step into when he drops back, it makes it damn near impossible for those guys to get to him. 

We're actually more in agreement than you think. I also want another impactful DL. I just think we can either get McDowell in the 1st, or someone like Brantley or Charlton in the 2nd. Or 2 of those 3 ;)

Edit: I also want to add I think McClain can make an impact as well. But so far I think he is the only one, and only if he stays healthy AND adjusts to a 3-4. He's a 4-3 guy

1 minute ago, thesubmittedone said:

No I don't think you realize why he got offended. Unless I'm wrong, too. I think he thought you were saying the part about "are you crazy, get real" to him, lol. Which when I read it first I did too. 

Lol  - Is it September yet? I need a beer!! 

10 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I have no problem with the team paying him more. Just not 50% more. Anything more than $6M is too much - at least I believe so. Also, not sure I agree he is redundant. He had 816 snaps last year. Harrison had 720. Together they were a force. Both were in for most snaps. They will need to replace him if he leaves.

I meant redundant in terms of the skill set he brings.  Harrison is an All-Pro version of what Hankins brings to the table.  I agree that Hankins was a big part of their success last year, but they already have 3 All-Pro caliber players on their DL without him, so they don't need to pay the same premium we do or the premium they would be forced to pay if they didn't have Harrison.

I wouldn't pay $10M.  That's insane.  But I'd be willing to pay the $7M APY, or even the $8M Logan is getting if it's just for one season.

15 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Yeah, totally agree.  And yes, it's tricky addressing the overall point (DL) while incorporating the nuanced positions (no pun intended)... particularly on my phone.  

DL was my number 1 need this offseason... and that was presuming we kept Baker. Wr was up there too, but I thought we'd re-sign one of ours.  

I think you're right that the line, as it stands now, could hinder the gains we made.  I'm still hopeful though that improved speed, communication and talent up the middle can make a difference.  Improving our 3rd down D even marginally should help.  

Now, lacking a NT means we might never reach the ability to play effectively out of our base D, and that's obviously an issue.  With that said, I think you can still play good D (overall) without a serious nose tackle. 

Looking at the defense generally, I'm hopeful we add a corner, edge rusher and Dlineman in the draft that can be contributors.  That gives guys we have hope for (but aren't sure about) competition - Fuller, Smith/Galette and the Dlineman who's name I'm blanking on.  It also gives us some insurance for Murphy and Breeland.  

I'd say we're trending up as a defense, but there are a lot of questions to be answered.  Add some young blood to improve our outlook and I can live with it. 

Archived