Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Redskins Are A "Good Team". Time To Accept This Fact

Diehard Otis

Yes, this thread is coming off the heels of a BIG Home Win against the Philadelphia Eagles.  But consider several factors that buttress this thread title:

-The Washington Redskins are the reining NFC East Champions
-After starting 0-2, they have Won 4 straight
-They have beaten 3 Winning Teams, 2 on the Road
-They have a Winning record after the 1st go round through the Division
-They have come-from-behind several times to Win
-Since Week 3, The Defense have only given up 15 Second Half points (I believe)
-The Skins are undefeated on the Road!!!

And this is while playing a First Place schedule.  My point is, there is no "nobody saw them coming", "they're only beating up on crappy teams", "they don't make any noise in the Division".  There are no ways to explain it away.  

Now are The Skins the class of The NFL?  Not yet.  But they are a legitimately good team.  

Yes, there are weaknesses.  Yes, they haven't played consistently well.  And yes, they haven't played the 'meat' of their schedule.  But with all that said, it's time to acknowledge the obvious: The Washington Redskins are a GOOD TEAM.

Agree?  Disagree?  Let's discuss it!

When all three sides of the team are playing well, I think us a good team. We let them hang around and it could have gone the other way.

Granted, we are 4-2 and have 2 winnable games before the bye.

Defense has been impressive. Cousins looked better and this game wouldn't have been close if our receivers hadn't dropped some passes.

I think we are definitely getting there. We're certainly a better team than the one that started the season. 

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

If we were a good team, we would have blown them out like we should have.

Pump the breaks a little.

But yeah, this feels damn good

You can consider it hyperbole.  That's fine.  But let me ask you this: if you removed the team's name & just looked at that team's resume, would you consider it the body of work of a "good team"?

I would.  And that's my point.  A successful beginning right off the heels of a successful season is the hallmark of a good team.

Skins qualify.

1 minute ago, Diehard Otis said:

But let me ask you this: if you removed the team's name & just looked at that team's resume, would you consider it the body of work of a "good team"?

I

Yes, I would.

It's not fair (and probably unfair to even talk this way after such a big win) but I just gotta see it over the long haul.

Do I think we are on the way? Hell yeah

1 minute ago, hawgboy said:

The win feels great!  I won't belittle it at all. But to earn the great team title, we need that elusive prime time win.

I don't disagree at all.  But we are entirely reasonable to call The Washington Redskins a GOOD TEAM.  Sure we've been through it, but look - this ain't a mirage.

2 minutes ago, mike42 said:

Winning 4 games in a row in the NFL...only good teams do that.

Well said.  I agree entirely!

15 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

If we would've blown them out, we would be a GREAT team. :) 

One thing for sure is the team is elevated to the point where mistakes (like a pick 6 or an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty) aren't fatal anymore.

The team still wins.

That is a big step up, IMO.

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Yes, I would.

It's not fair (and probably unfair to even talk this way after such a big win) but I just gotta see it over the long haul.

That is for sure.  Hell, me too.

But I cannot ignore what my eyes are telling me.  

Am I biased?  Damn right!
Am I a homer?  Absolutely!

But that doesn't mean that this sentiment is wrong.  The Redskins are a good team.

Case in point:  against a BAD TEAM (Cleveland), we were favored by 9 points(!)

We beat that bad team by 11 points! (Look, even I was surprised)

Here's the thing: good teams cover the Point Spread!

From the 6 game sample size I have seen so far this season I would classify the 'Skins as "above average" I still can't say "good" yet because I have seen too many game scenarios where they should be putting games away yet they are coming down to a defensive stand on a final drive of the game. 

A GOOD team beats the Eagles by a couple TD's (at least) considering the opportunities to do so today. There was ample opportunity to have this game a borderline laugher but the 'Skins manage to do what they seem to always do and make a non-competitive game, a very close one. 

Right now that asinine loss to the Cowboys is what hurts the most. Another game where the 'Skins had ample chances to put it away, but seemed to play so conservatively.  Total reminder of the MNF loss at home last year.

Good teams give bad teams a BEATDOWN, they don't let games like today come down to a 4th quarter stand.

I like how they are fighting back from penalties, mistakes, and being behind on the score board.  Granted, I'm still not overly confident that they can accomplish this, but they have proven me wrong and pulled out some nice WINS.

Our coaching and play calling still need work, but I am hopeful we can pull this together.

HTTR

4 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

If we would've blown them out, we would be a GREAT team. :) 

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Strong point SkinsGuy

--------------------------

Folks, I know we've had hot starts before.  I know how Zorn started.  But this team is Winning ballgames losing teams don't Win missing key players when it matters.

We just did.  Is that a mirage?

I'm not saying that we are a Great Team - but we are a good team.  

And I'm not backing off it.

Just now, RedskinsLegacy said:

Without the 2 costly mistakes, they owned the Eagles and Wentz today!

We definitely outplayed the Eagles today, but not on the scoreboard. I want to see us win a few more games that don't come down to the final minutes.

Just now, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Agree. We should have won by 24 points. Real good teams don't give up ko returns for 6 or int for 6. We are a decent team. We still make a lot of mistakes. Great day though.

But yeah, this feels damn good

I would say we are a good team at the moment . Because we are a team . 

For the first time in a long time all the headlines in Washington are all about the team on the field . 

And kirk might have his trademark phrase this season ." By any means necessary ". 

I dont think we ever are going to be a blow out the opposition team ... but we will kick scratch and bite our way against anyone ... 

Archived