Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

4 hours ago, carex said:

I don't think the NFL actually views practice squads the way you do, because if they did there would be a LOT more jockeying with the 51-53 spots on the roster and the practice squads.

This isn't the rule 5 draft in baseball, you don't have to offer someone you cut from your roster back to his old team, you know?  And there's no limit on the number of times you can cut and re-sign someone.

Right now, we could put  DeAngelo Hall on IR, go out and sign a Cowboys PS player.  Then tomorrow we could waive him and to get him back they would have to sign him to the active roster and cut someone else.  Not likely really.  So then we could sign that player to our practice squad.  It's also something you could do with guys like Lanier, Ionaddes , the guys at the bottom of the depth chart who rarely ever dress

But no one does that.

Oh, and Cravens isn't starting because his size and where we have him lined up makes him a situational player

the guy we sign

Maybe, maybe not. We normally see teams keeping a full practice squad all year, and the players on the practice squad normally get contracts for the next offseason so there's some value in there. But you do see the bottom 5 or so guys on a roster constantly changing, either because of injuries bad practices, other players becoming available or a host of other reasons. We generally see this though when the final 53 is initially settled upon because if there's a player a team is afraid of losing they'll just keep him on their final roster instead of risking it. But if we have injuries happen, then we probably wind up cutting him and exposing the risk. Look at what happened to Reiter.

I'm not saying the practice squads have 1st round (or even 4th round) talent. Just a question of how I prefer to build a team. I like finding the best young guys with the most potential hoping to build for the future. Like I said, I'd rather get a young guy with potential than a 30 year old JAG. Case in point, I think we just signed a JAG from the vikings who had some good years before his injury but nobody would sign him and its probably for a reason. But I can be wrong and I'll admit it if I'm not. 

And I don't know what you're talking about with Cravens. He should be starting. He tackles better, reads plays better, reacts better, is faster, is just a better player than both Compton and Foster. I'm guessing he's only not playing because of Barry and Gruden and how well Compton did in training camp

3 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

So our already thin OL is getting even thinner. Luvao + Lich gone, and Arie/Sullivan taking their places. Hopefully they can at least maintain their very solid pass blocking. 

This is the week to test things out.  If it doesn't work, go back to TY at LT and Trent at guard.  

Youve got to have succes against the Browns.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000711886/article/cleveland-browns-planning-to-release-josh-gordon

Cleveland Browns planning to release Josh Gordon

@JOSH_GORDONXII

Under some pressure & stress recently, had to take a time out for myself.Sometimes you have to do what's best for you. Thank u @nfl @Browns

Flash Gordon

@JOSH_GORDONXII

See ya soon.. ??

Prior to Gordon's reinstatement, the Browns contacted teams about a potential trade involving the former All-Pro selection, according to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo. The Browns were seeking a "second-round pick and then some" for Gordon, Garafolo added. The news prompted Gordon to reaffirm his commitment to the team.

The wide receiver announced Thursday that he was entering rehab in an effort to "gain full control of my life." Gordon is eligible to play in the Browns' Week 5 contest against the New England Patriots as part of the terms of his NFL reinstatement for a substance abuse violation. Gordon's decision to enter rehab, however, puts his comeback on hold indefinitely.

Browns waived OLB Armonty Bryant.
Bryant was scheduled to return from a four-game suspension this week, but he could face an additional ban after being convicted on misdemeanor drug charges over the summer. Still, he is eligible to play right now and recorded 5.5 sacks last season. Someone could take the plunge. Oct 3 - 9:31 AM

WIth Kerrigan ailing (and playing like dog-****), he might be worth a look and can play now, even if on a temporary basis...

26 years old
6'4, 265

Bryant, a seventh-round draft choice in 2013, appeared in 31 games and totaled 71 tackles, 8.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. He was suspended by the Commissioner for the first four weeks of the 2016 season.

*ALL WHILE ONLY STARTING 4 GAMES*

He's an Aldon Smith type player/size

Just now, TheGreek1973 said:

Man who is available as a FA other than Pot Roast to at least help us a little with our run D.  We must do something about that run D, any competed QB will eat as alive as we try to fill the box to stop the run. 

I'd sign OLB Armonty Bryant to start with.

Then possibly bring in Randy Starks, though 32 years old, is a banger in the run game and can rush the passer.  He's 6'4, 305lbs. (He's also a Virginia native who went to UMD)

Another veteran is DE Chris Canty... 33 years old, last player for the Ravens... He's noted as one of the top run-stuffing DE's in the 3-4. He's also a mammoth at 6'7, 320. Ravens could not afford to keep him.

He also went to UVA...

All of these guys are younger than Cullen Jenkins... who is supposed to be a pass rushing end, but obviously is not good at that either from what I've seen. Definitely not a run guy. I'd replace him with Canty or Starks...

I remember the rumors out there that the Bills wanted to trade Marcell Dareus last offseason... ****, that would just be ridiculous... Still wish we would have sent a pick for Wilkerson...

Dareus and Wilkerson, either one, are better than any 1st round pick we would get. I'd see if the Bills would take a 2nd for Dareus... There is some hostility there. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/03/browns-austin-reiter-expected-to-miss-season-with-knee-injury/

Browns’ Austin Reiter expected to miss season with knee injury

Sorry to hear that about Reiter. He was looking good. Wish we kept him instead of Phillips.

I was all about getting Wilkerson draft weekend. Trade Garcon and a 2nd for him. 

I was also all about trying to sign James Laurianitis to be our middle backer.

We'd be 3-1 with those two moves and looking strong, instead of a hapless.500 team with only a couple more wins to come our way.

Hell, we probably could have thrown more money at Brockers and stolen him from the rams.

Archived