Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tandler's - Need to Know: Which classic Redskins games do you want to see again?

Larry

Tandler's - Need to Know: Which classic Redskins games do you want to see again?

OK, this article was just posted in BRBN.  (And once again, huge props to the folks who make it so easy for lazy folks like me to get my Redskins News fix.) 

And I figured that perhaps people might like to propose their own answers to the above-asked question. 

First note:  I haven't read the article, yet, cause I immediately started thinking about my answer. 

And I have to say that I'm probably only going to nominate one game.  I really don't remember all that many individual games, from more than a few years ago.  That's probably why I'd really love to check out whichever games they choose to post.  To refresh memories. 

But I immediately thought of the game that I most enjoyed, in recent history.  I hereby nominate: 

The NFCE Championship Game, from 2012.  Redskins-Cowboys, week 17. 

It's a regular season game.  But it's a playoff game.  All of the playoff spots have been filled, except one.  The winner of this game wins the division, and gets a home playoff game.  The loser's coes home and cleans out their locker. 

The perennial cellar-dwelling Redskins have actually won a bunch of games with their "gimmick" offense (that still seems to be working, in Week 17.) 

I suppose that some of the Skins wins, that year, could be disclaimed with the "well, the Skins surprised their opponents with something new".  For example, I could see that excuse having some merit, when referring to their opening-week upset of the Super Bowl Champion Saints.  But in Week 17, that excuse really doesn't fly.  Both teams have plenty of film to study, to get ready for this one.  (And it's a division game.  They've already played each other, once.) 

So it's certainly got all of the important "context" boxes checked. 

And, I just absolutely love the way the Skins won it. 

Dallas decided that they weren't going to get beat by big plays, so they played deep the whole game. 

And the Redskins shoved the ball down their throats.  The whole game. 

I suppose you could claim that we started the Riggo Drill in the first quarter, since we led the entire game. 

AlMo (and good luck to him, with his new team.) ran the ball for 200 yards, (and 3 TDs), also breaking the single-season rushing record set by Clinton Portis (who was in the owners box, to see it happen). 

Oh, and it was against the Cowboys. 

That's certainly the game that's first, in my memory. 

I almost feel there should be two answers.  1 post Snyder, and one pre Snyder because there were so many great games pre Snyder, it's hard to pick one after he took ownership as the ones pre Snyder were for championships or the march to a championship.

I know the question is "which game do you want to see AGAIN" but a lot of classic games (like, say, the 1982 NFCCG and subsequent SB) in their entirety have already made their way onto YouTube (even though sometimes they are subsequently removed).  However, the one that a lot of Skins fans would probably like to see in its entirety is the 1972 NFCCG game against the Cowboys. Granted, it wasn't a nail biter, but one of the first great Skins playoff wins in the modern era.  Heck, I'll also take the win against the Packers in the divisional round that season too.

Would be cool to see a Jurgensen game when Lombardi was coaching too, even though they didn't really win anything, it was the first Redskins winning season in like 2+ decades and I'm sure that almost nobody who posts here has ever seen one of those games.

It's not a "classic" but it was the first game I saw live:

1981, rainy day at RFK, Redskins vs Patriots.  Skins were 1-6 at the time in Joe Gibbs first year.  This was the year of the great draft and Joe Washington had also been added to the team.  Was sitting in the end zone so viewpoint was limited.  However, from that viewpoint, it was perfect to watch Mike Nelms run back a punt 75 yards for the score!  Skins won 24-22, and I think New England missed a late field goal attempt.

Never got to see a tape of the game. :(

The Rook :)

Following Tandler's suggestion of 1 Superbowl, 1 playoff game, and 1 regular season game:

Superbowl XVII Riggo run

Redskins-Falcons 1992- Seat cushion game (b/c '82 NFCCG is all over youtube already)

Skins-Cowboys 2005- Monday Night Miracle

While I agree with Larry that the 2012 Cowboys season ender is the first that comes to mind, *and right after that would be the Week 1 win at NO that season*...hope beyond belief.  :wub:

I'd love to have an entire day to myself to watch all 3 SB wins.  I may not even survive it, but I'd go out as one happy *****. :D

I agree with the article.

Do you REALLY want to sit through the first 55 minutes of that game?

Fair point, but it makes the payoff that much more rewarding.

I wouldn't mind throwing in Kirk's franchise record comeback this year vs. Tampa

I love watching close, exciting dogfight games. However, sometimes, I just like watching the Redskins give a team a good 'ol beat down. :)

Here is the 1983 divisional playoff game put up on youtube a couple of days ago, where the Redskins just destroyed the Rams 51-7.

A lot of Hall-of-Famers on the field (Monk, Green, Riggins, Grimm), and a couple that should be (Jacoby, Butz). Riggins and Green in particular have great days. Green has his first INT for a TD in this game. "Downtown" Charlie Brown has nearly 200 yards receiving in this game.

You also get to see a couple of young players by the names of Charles Mann and Monte Coleman, who get to show their future greatness in back-up duty replacing the starters in the second half and on special teams.

Just a fun game all around. It is somewhat grainy, but you can see it good enough. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OnRUQnC9O8 

The 91 playoff game against the eagels that we won 21 to 6 in philly . It.was pay back after the body bag game . The two playoff victories in Chicago 86 and 87 . And the matress game at RFK Against the falcons on a rainey day in 92 divisional playoff game .

Regular season - The Sean Taylor field goal Personal Foul game

Playoffs - 1972 Redskins Cowboys game was 5 only remember the highlights from online 

Superbowl - 1982 Redskins Dolphins game play the commercials - car advertisements by Chrysler advertising the low 19.9% rate for a car loan :>)

While I agree with Larry that the 2012 Cowboys season ender is the first that comes to mind, *and right after that would be the Week 1 win at NO that season*...hope beyond belief.  :wub:

I'd love to have an entire day to myself to watch all 3 SB wins.  I may not even survive it, but I'd go out as one happy *****. :D

I have all 3 superbowls on DVD ....I watch them every now and then....

I would pick Super Bowl XXII since that game was so exciting and set so many records. For the playoffs, my choice would be one of the 1982 playoff games - most likely the big win vs. Dallas. As for the regular season, I think I'd want to see a win over the Eagles or Giants - maybe that first win in 1991 (breaking a 6-game losing streak to NY). 

Regular season would be either 1975 OT win over Cowboys or 1976 Monday night game vs Cards in the mud.  Eddie Brown clinching the win with a spectacular 71-yd punt return for a TD.

Playoffs is a no-brainer.  The '72 NFC title win over the Cowboys.  The Holy Grail of Redskin game collectors.

Regular Season has to be, for me, Redskins/Raiders 83.  Dramatic comeback win with a Super Bowl preview...one Super Bowl we would like to forget but a great regular season game, best one of that year in the NFL.

Playoffs - Redskins/Bears, Darrell Green pulling cartilage returning the punt for the score.  Admit it, you knew he was going to score when he lined up back there.

Super Bowl - Going to go with XXVI just because it capped a prolific season.  When they beat the Lions 45-0 in the opener, when Brian Mitchell scored on the return and leapt into the end zone with a stream of toilet paper coming from behind the stands I looked at my TV and said, this team is going to win the Super Bowl.

1972 NFC Championship game vs. Dallas. Hard to believe that this game was blacked out in the DC area, but it was. However, some folks could get a signal from Baltimore or places in VA. I have the 22 min NFC game of the week for this that I bought from NFL films for $50 a few years ago. If they can repiece SuperBowl I from NFL films footage to recreate the game, I know they could do this one too, but I don't think there is a demand/interest for this game outside of the Redskins fan base and Cowboy haters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/in-1972-redskin-fans-couldnt-watch-nfc-championship-on-tvs-in-washington/2012/01/27/gIQANXwCqQ_story.html

No, the game was not broadcast in Washington. In a story the morning of the game, Dec. 31, 1972, The Washington Post wrote: “CBS television is transmitting the game to 210 stations around the country and Puerto Rico, Canada, Hawaii and Mexico — but not to Washington.”

In another story that day, The Post’s Ken Denlinger wrote: “NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle re-emphasized the league’s television blackout policy yesterday and said the closest station carrying the game would be WMAR-TV, Channel 2, in Baltimore.”.....

Answer Man is sure plenty of Redskins fans spent the day crimping tinfoil around the rabbit ears of their TV sets, hoping to pull in a ghostly signal from Baltimore.

The television blackout rules back then were in­cred­ibly restrictive. NFL games could not be shown within 75 miles of the home market. The league argued that if games weren’t blacked out, fans would stay home, especially if the weather was lousy on game day, even if they had already bought tickets.

Baltimore is within 75 miles of Washington and, indeed, this became an issue the next season. Edward Bennett Williams, president of the Redskins, said the team had no objection to WMAR showing some of the games. After initially hinting that WMAR could show some Redskins games in 1973, the NFL changed its mind.

“We [the NFL] are well within our rights to order the blackout by the Baltimore station,” the league’s Robert N. Cochran told a Post reporter a few days later. “Nor are we going to listen to fan mail saying, ‘I want this’ and ‘I want that!’ . . . In this society, people are always wanting to get something they shouldn’t necessarily have to get . . . they’re so spoiled.” <<< This has got to be the biggest Asshole/dumbest NFL quote ever...(prior to the Redskins breaking the "spirit of the cap")...whatever happened to giving the customer what they want?

Fair point, but it makes the payoff that much more rewarding.

I wouldn't mind throwing in Kirk's franchise record comeback this year vs. Tampa

ya know, if this team built around Kirk, goes on to make some history, that game will absolutely stand out as his turning point that defines us.

Didn't realize it until someone brought it up on twitter the other day, but I've never seen the NFC Championship game against the Vikings in it's entirety.  My oldest memory is watching the Super Bowl several days later, but I don't remember watching THAT game and I've only seen highlights of the last play where "Joe Gibbs has gone to his knees" and you know the rest.

That would be a cool one to see.

I have DVDs with all of the Super Bowls and the 82 and 91 NFCCGs on them... and I just never noticed I don't have nor have I ever seen the 87 game.

I'm partial to:

1983- Redskins 37, Raiders 35

1983- Packers 48, Redskins 47

1978- Redskins 9, Cowboys 5

1991- Redskins 41, Lions 38 (OT)

And of course all 3 SBs and all 3 NFCCG wins when we won those SBs.

That game was in '90, we smoked the Lions in 91-92 during the SB run. 45-0 in week 1, and 41-10 in the Playoffs.

I would love to see the whole 91 season again.  

Give me the Cowboys week 2 @ Dallas Monday Night Football... Skins win 33-31.

Cowboys that game:

This year would mark the Cowboys' return to the playoffs after a number of seasons, including a 1–15 campaign just two years prior. This also marked Norv Turner's first year as offensive coordinator under head coach Jimmy Johnson. The young offensive nucleus of Troy AikmanMichael Irvin and Emmitt Smith continued to develop, as did the offensive line, while the defense also improved. Though the Cowboys would lose in the playoffs to the Detroit Lions in the divisional round, the season was considered a resounding success, and a glimpse of things to come. Notable additions to the team this year include defensive tackle Russell Maryland,wide receiver Alvin Harperoffensive tackle Erik Williams and linebacker Dixon Edwards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Dallas_Cowboys_season

It was not the most dramatic ending in that game, but it featured 2 teams that would be in the Playoffs at the end of the year.  It has a Cowboys team that would go on to greatness (damn it) and the Greatest Washington Redskin Roster I know of on the field together.

My two favorite regular season "classic" games occurred during that magical year 1991:

1.  The season opener against the Lions ... "pure domination" I have not witnessed since ... an almost perfect game.

2.  The away game @ the Meadowlands when the Skins finally broke their "hex" and beat the pygmies in their building ... the game where Gary Clark dropped a sure TD ... then a play or two later caught a beautiful post from Ryp in the end zone to seal the deal!

Unfortunately ... neither game is on You Tube.

Archived