Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tandler's - Need to Know: Which classic Redskins games do you want to see again?

Larry

The MNF game against the Broncos in 92' is also a game that slips many minds.

The night Art Monk set the NFL record for receptions.

The MNF beginning preview, showing the hands of Art, showing clips of some of his amazing catches, and saying he only needed something like 8 catches to become the all-time leader.

Every single person in the stands knew it, every Bronco [ who we were playing that night ] knew it, and the anticipation built with every catch.  

The only thing I wished could have happened with him is to catch a TD with the record setting catch, but it wasn't meant to be. Still, the team ran over to him, lifted him into the air, and the crowd went bananas.  Good times.

It would be cool if someone transcribed the '91 season ... all games on a CD.  I would pay 300 bucks for that!

I have the entire season on VHS tape and watch the games quite a bit still. And since nobody mentioned this game. It is the one I watch the most from the 91' season.

Week 11 against Atlanta. November 10, 1991. I was there and it was arguably the greatest performance by a Redskin team ever. Mark Rypien goes off with 16 completions for 442 yards and SIX yes I said SIX TD's. Gary Clark catches 4 balls for 203 yards and 3 TD's. Art Monk grabs 7 for 164 and 2 TD's. The defense forces 6 turnovers and the Redskins MUTILATE the Falcons 56-17 reaching 10-0 to start the season. 

Here is the full box score for the game if you want to salivate a little bit. Man. Those were the days!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199111100was.htm

October 2, 1983 37-35 win over the raiders.  My dad had picked up some tickets the day before while out playing golf with his buddies.  Came home and set the tickets on his desk, forgetting about them.  I found them around noon on Sunday and immediately headed out to the game with my sister (only game we attended together.) 

The game had everything, blocked kick, return for a TD and 17 4th qtr points to win the game.  I just wish the team would have realized the raiders were not a push-over when they played them a 2nd time that season.  That one will always be a heart-breaker.

Obviously the game with 4 touchdowns and 4 interceptions comes to mind, but who knows what kind of footage exists for it.

When I used to stream on Jtv I broadcasted that game a couple times, there is actually a very hq video of that game that looks 5x better than any tv broadcasted game from the 70s-80s.

I think SkinsGuy mentioned it earlier, but it does deserve mentioning again.

the 83' game Redskins vs Rams.

Its been awhile since I've watched a Joey T. game, but he was on fire that day; ****, the entire TEAM was on fire that day. I forgot how accurate he was, and he threw some sweet passes in that game, Riggins, Brown, Green, Monk, they were all ballin' as they completely dominated the Rams.

After watching them, I'm not sure which was more dominant; this one or the 87' SB.

You young whippersnappers who were unfortunate to not be around back then need to go watch this game on youtube; you won't be disappointed in the least bit. RFK and that exact uniform is what the Redskins are all about...

I think SkinsGuy mentioned it earlier, but it does deserve mentioning again.

the 83' game Redskins vs Rams.

Its been awhile since I've watched a Joey T. game, but he was on fire that day; ****, the entire TEAM was on fire that day. I forgot how accurate he was, and he threw some sweet passes in that game, Riggins, Brown, Green, Monk, they were all ballin' as they completely dominated the Rams.

After watching them, I'm not sure which was more dominant; this one or the 87' SB.

You young whippersnappers who were unfortunate to not be around back then need to go watch this game on youtube; you won't be disappointed in the least bit. RFK and that exact uniform is what the Redskins are all about...

Especially Darrell Green.

If you look at that clip, from pretty much from the end of the 1st quarter on, Green is pretty much in on EVERY defensive play.

Some of that was just the Rams' QB (Vince Faragamo <sp>) was an idiot who kept throwing to the man Green was covering. Even Madden kept saying "Why does he keep throwing to Green's side of the field?".

Part of it was also that Green was just that dominant that day. He was all over the field.

Green was just a rookie that year, but this game told you he was something special. :)

Shutting down Eric Dickerson flat; dude didn't get squat in that game, and it wasn't because the Skins put up 30+ points by the time the fans settled into their seats, the Rams tried all day to get him going but it just wasn't happening. 

He was their offense; Gibbs knew it too.

I'm gonna find me a beta player and dub my games to dvd, somehow. 

Shutting down Eric Dickerson flat; dude didn't get squat in that game, and it wasn't because the Skins put up 30+ points by the time the fans settled into their seats, the Rams tried all day to get him going but it just wasn't happening. 

He was their offense; Gibbs knew it too.

I'm gonna find me a beta player and dub my games to dvd, somehow.

Box Score:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198401010was.htm

Dickerson 10 rushes for 16 yards, 6 receptions for 9 yards.

Theismann 18 for 23, 302 yards, 2 TDs, 0 ints, 0 sacks

Riggo: 25 rushes for 116 yards and 3 TDs

Skins D: 4 turnovers (Green had a 72 yard pick-6), 3 sacks

@nickyj woahhhh throwback much?? I was in 8th grade in the 07 season. My dad was at the game that night and my brother had just gotten home from college like a day or two before that game, so we watched it. I remember at one point the redskins threw a challenge flag to challenge that the Vikings had 12 men on the field (either that or the refs penalized them for it and then Brad Childress challenged that?) and I remember my brother watching Childress mouth the words "oh crap!!!" (For lack of a better word) and just re-playing that for like 5 straight minutes.

Might just have to watch that game later today if I get the chance.

one point the redskins threw a challenge flag to challenge that the Vikings had 12 men on the field (either that or the refs penalized them for it and then Brad Childress challenged that?)

>> Skins challenged that there were 12 men on the field...originally NOT called....replay showed there were 12 (guy was running off as the ball was snapped).

Another game that deserves mention as it was probably the best NFL game of the '82 season was the first game against Philadelphia.  1st quarter, Eagles dominate and at one point it looks like they are about to crush us.  Second quarter, we dominate and get a slight lead.  Third quarter, they get back to dominating us and are well positioned going into the fourth.  Fourth quarter, we get the lead back but let the Iggs come back and all looks lost.  We drive quicktly and use Mark's foot (who barely made the team that year) to take the game into OT where Joe Gibbs starts to become known for just ending OT games with a chip shot FG.

Hard to answer... been so long since we had great consistancy. Fo me there are two off the top of my head.

1. Sept 19th 2005 (MNF) Redksins vs Cowboys. 

We were getting handled pretty much the entire game. Defense held it relatively close, but it seem out of reach with a little over 3 minutes to play.

Then BAM!!! Brunell hits Moss deep... in stride for a TD to bring the game within reach. Still had little faith as the Cowboys were able to move the ball all game... was expecting a drawn out final minutes of play marked with a first down and a Cowboy kneel to victory. But our D held and we got the ball back. And then another bomb! Moss, in stride again!

I remember screaming at the top of my lungs, and jumping around. I had not felt that elated for this team in a long time.

2. Nov 5th 2006. Redskins vs Cowboys. Another long day at work against the Cowboys. Aother game that seemed out of reach. Sloppy play and miscued all game. Then a blocked field goal, and Taylor (RIP) scoops up the ball and returns for a good amount of yards (cant remember specifics)... gets a facemask to tack on another 15 AND stop the clock for a final play. We had such lousy kicking for so long that it seemed like a waste of time to watch. Then Novak squeeks it inside the right upright from 47 yards!!!! I remember there was me and on other Skins fan at the bar I used to go to (Long Island, NY) we had almost the entire bar chanting "NOVAK" "NOVAK" "NOVAK"... and laughing at the few Cowboy fans hanging their head in shame. They should have won that one.

Heck! even typing this puts a smile on my face remembering those games. Thanks for the challenge. It made my day!

Archived