Matt Jones- Think He Has What It Takes?

Koolblue13

Matt Jones  

151 members have voted

1. 1. How is Matt Jones going to do

• He will Dominate the League
    • He'll be serviceable until we draft his replacement
    • He'll lose his job to a FA Vet before the Bye

How does everyone think MJ is going to do?

He has all the physical tools, no question there.

Mental mistakes. When he stopped fumbling the football, he rolled his helmet instead.

Injury concerns have always followed him, despite his low miles.

I remember reading a few times, that the coaches questioned if he had his head in the game.

Doesn't seem to get low and behind his pads and his legs don't always churn through the traffic.

What y'all think?

Kinda concerned about the RB position. While I'm glad they picked him over Alf at this point in their careers, I still wasn't overly impressed with his overall body of work.

He has the ability to make a big play but it's the other plays in the game where he looks very meh. But he was only was a rookie last year so I'll give him another shot.

I think being repeatedly called out by the coaches will help.

Being around guys like Reed and CT, who've had to deal with injury concerns will help.

I think he's got all the tools to do it and it just comes down to his drive.

He has the raw talent for sure, but he has to polish his game. He needs to learn to plant his foot and just go instead of dancing around as he leaves his feet too much. He also needs to lower his pads.Runs too high at times.

Man this is way too early to tell imo. But I feel like talking so with your can of worms opening here is my take on this

Going just by what we know on the numbers, last year he had one good game (Only one game where he had over 63 rushing yards and one of only two games where he scored a TD) and he had 10 games where he failed to eclipse 50 rushing yards (though he did have two other games where he rushed for over 50 but under 62 yards). His yards per carry average was less then 4 yards in ten games last year. We saw him in 13 games last year

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/2980105/matt-jones

We also know that he was splitting carries last season. However we know that he got more then 18 carries in a game three times and his carry average in those games were 6.5, 2.7, and 3.4. His numbers on paper are pretty awful in today's NFL just being honest.

We also know that he fumbled 5 times during his 144 rushing attempts

We also know that he was injured last season

So while I think the weakest area on this team is the RB position I am slightly reserving judgement on him and the position regardless of these unimpressive numbers because

1. In my opinion the front office completely ignored this position this off season and draft (Sorry not going back over my feeling about that 7th round RB we drafted again unless you want me to. Just know that while his combine numbers were off the charts every team including us passed on him for 6 rounds and if he had much of anything would not have done that just doesn't happen and all I see is Lache Seastunk someone who won't help us)

2. The word out of the park is the coaches love Jones and believe in him so he has the vote of confidence from the team

3. Competition isn't there this year to take carries from him (Chris Thompson has a different skill set so who else is back there to take his carries away?)

It's too early to tell imo what impact Jones will have next year but productivity comes from opportunity so it's very possible he has a productive season this year. I haven't written him off just yet but what I saw last year was not impressive to me

With that said I want to root for him. I want to see him do well. And I am rooting for him. I just think these numbers aren't showing me anything yet so I want him to prove his rookie year was a fluke. If he doesn't watch our approach to this position this off season derail our season and become our top need in next seasons draft. Am I worried about this? You bet I am but what can any of us do about it? Nothing. Fingers and toes crossed. HTTR

Cooley was going on the other day about how Jones routinely missed assignments -- went to the wrong place for check downs, pass blocking, etc. McVay on the radio last week said that the biggest area where he'd like to see Jones improve is to keep his focus/concentration for the full game.  Between all of that and the fumbles and him almost blowing the Bears game by putting the football down without being touched.  It doesn't paint the best picture of Jones from the stand point of being football smart.  Cooley suggested though that Jones likely will learn from all of that and make a leap this year.

there has to be something between "dominate the league" (Adrian Petersen) and "serviceable until replacement can be found". (CJ Spiller)

How about i go with.. I think he has what it takes to be an effective running back once he learns to hold the ball properly.

He has shown good vision and good burst,,  if but for the fumbles.. which i will chalk up to youth.

~Bang

Running back is a plug and play position in today's NFL.  The most important parts (to me) about the RB position is being able to hold onto the ball, pick up the blitzes, and knowing your assignments.  He has not been great, yet.  I do like the skills MJ has, but he's JAG to me.   

Great poll but I really wish there was an option for "The jury is still out" or "just plain not sure!" 

He has the potential to be great. But I really don't have a good feel which way it will go. I like to think he can fix the fumbling issues. He talked about holding the ball higher and that seemed to help. But the injury thing has me more worried. 

I really just do not know. I am hoping for the best as I always do and because we have seemingly put all our eggs in that basket (or at least most of them).

Another good option might have been: Will be beat out be a 7th rd rookie! :-)   Yea, always love for the underdog.....

Well, I figured it beats talking about Bologna and space ships and I didn't want ES to lose any steam.

When I get off work, I'm going to add 47 more options to really pin point exactly how everyone feels in this official pole, so if it really bothers you, don't waste your ever so valuable vote and just wait for more options. I won't mail this to Snyder yet.

It depends on whether Jones can limit turnovers.  He needs to limit fumbles to once every 100 touches; in his rookie season, he averaged one fumble every 36 touches so he has to improve significantly.  We are pulling for Jones to do well!

Guy has it all to be great, just was more of a project due to his lack of experience. He didn't get much in the way of experience in college.

He seemed to have worked out his fumbling problem last season, actually, but then he got hurt. So, to me, that says he can develop; he can learn and adjust.

Assignments, grasp of the playbook, etc... should come easy with a second offseason under his belt.

If he becomes a more patient, between the Tackles, runner (something almost all rookie RBs have to get used to in the NFL, since you can't just bounce it outside whenever you run into a little trouble like you can in college) and runs with his pads lower more consistently, I think he can be a stud.

That might sound like a lot of ifs, but I believe those are relatively easy issues to correct considering his athleticism.

Of course, health is a big question mark. Can he stay healthy? Hopefully he's learned what it's going to take in this league.

So I'm leaning towards the first choice in the poll, mainly because it seems like Scot and the coaching staff believe he's on his way, so I'm going to assume they're seeing the improvements first hand.

But "dominate the league" is a bit much for me, lol. I'll await KB's update where he incorporates 47 more options to pinpoint exactly how I feel. :D

O

He has the raw talent for sure, but he has to polish his game. He needs to learn to plant his foot and just go instead of dancing around as he leaves his feet too much. He also needs to lower his pads.Runs too high at times.

r more and more in this league.  "Effective member of a RBBC"

Well, I figured it beats talking about Bologna and space ships and I didn't want ES to lose any steam.

When I get off work, I'm going to add 47 more options to really pin point exactly how everyone feels in this official pole, so if it really bothers you, don't waste your ever so valuable vote and just wait for more options. I won't mail this to Snyder yet.

Wow, didn't really expect that response. I was not being critical. Sorry if it came off like that. The only thing I was really suggesting was some kind of wait and see option. The 7th rd pick was really a joke.

I voted beast mostly more on hope than expectation. He has the capability but he has to stay on the field.

Wow, didn't really expect that response. I was not being critical. Sorry if it came off like that. The only thing I was really suggesting was some kind of wait and see option. The 7th rd pick was really a joke.

I voted beast mostly more on hope than expectation. He has the capability but he has to stay on the field.

it's common pretty much every time there's a poll on here.

I voted beast mode, because why the hell not. Nobody knows what he's gonna do. I had a spare minute on the crapper, in between cleaning dog **** up and trying to pet the scared Rottweiler in my guest room and was bored with the other topics.

I think he will do very well here. I hope he is one of the top five or ten running backs in the league but I don't think he will be number one. The offensive line has a lot to do with that. I voted for the middle option but think he will do a little bit better than that

Archived