Matt Jones- Think He Has What It Takes?

Koolblue13

Matt Jones  

151 members have voted

1. 1. How is Matt Jones going to do

• He will Dominate the League
    • He'll be serviceable until we draft his replacement
    • He'll lose his job to a FA Vet before the Bye

I like him. Got to sort out his fumling issues but apart from that I think he can be "the guy". Honestly think he's somewhere between the first two options on the poll. Think he can be really good for us. Not convinced he has the upside to "dominate the league" but he can be a top 10 guy I think. Maybe our version of Chris Ivory. 

IF he really has gotten comfortable and IF he is ready to toughen up and work, he has the potential to really dominate the league. You don't see that size, speed combo. Especially in a guy who catches it so well.

Just imagine what our offense looks like if he balls out. You can't stack the box on him. My god, Reed and DJax will make you pay every time there's 8 in the box. Niles back to form when he beat Reed in TC? Davis, Garcon, Doc, Jamo?

Holy ****.

We should score every drive and won't need to care about a NT one bit. We'll just blitz every down.

great blocking. He went down from the first tackler almost every time. He showed some patience, but mostly bumped outside, until he could get past a blocker.

He had no real blocking with all the TEs injured, as well as the interior of the o-line.

Too early to make any declarations on Jones. Especially based on a rookie season where he was not even the featured back.

Too bad Redd got the suspension because I was more impressed in what little I saw from Silas Redd than Matt Jones. I guess Jones is still a mystery to me, none of our many running backs had a chance to do anything last year.

Too bad Redd got the suspension because I was more impressed in what little I saw from Silas Redd than Matt Jones. I guess Jones is still a mystery to me, none of our many running backs had a chance to do anything last year.

Redd wasn't even expected to make the team.

It seems to be the same old song and dance on this board... because a rookie (like Jones) didn't come out have a huge, pro bowl impact right out of the gate, he sucks and can't be counted on. Like how he played in his rookie campaign is etched in stone, and that is what he will be from now on. :rolleyes:

He was just a part-time rookie last season Give the man a chance.

It seems to be the same old song and dance on this board... because a rookie (like Jones) didn't come out have a huge, pro bowl impact right out of the gate, he sucks and can't be counted on. Like how he played in his rookie campaign is etched in stone, and that is what he will be from now on. :rolleyes:

RB is a position you can almost always tell what you have. So when a rookie gets his carries reduced because of fumbles, missing assignments, not keeping his knees high, bouncing it out side every run and going down on first contact consistently, then has the coach call him out for heart for not playing through injury and not having his head in the game, it might make some people doubt ya.

He could still be incredible though.

Running back is a plug and play position in today's NFL.  The most important parts (to me) about the RB position is being able to hold onto the ball, pick up the blitzes, and knowing your assignments.  He has not been great, yet.  I do like the skills MJ has, but he's JAG to me.   

and catch a pass!  Totally agree.  He should see the short window of opportunity that he has and make every effort to fix his rookie mistakes.  I'd side with Cooley that he is possibly heading for a leap year!

RB is a position you can almost always tell what you have. So when a rookie gets his carries reduced because of fumbles, missing assignments, not keeping his knees high, bouncing it out side every run and going down on first contact consistently, then has the coach call him out for heart for not playing through injury and not having his head in the game, it might make some people doubt ya.

So you are declaring you already know what his career is going to be after one part-time rookie season...............

.............but he could still be incredible.

Ok. :rolleyes: LOL!

So you are declaring you already know what his career is going to be after one part-time rookie season...............

.............but he could still be incredible.

Ok. :rolleyes: LOL!

I ****ing hate that emoji and the overly dramatic and childish tone it portrays.

I was pointing out there's plenty of reason to think he won't pan out and nobody is wrong to think that.

I also said it's possible he could break out and be a great back.

I even started a thread on it. With a pole.

But your response, listing reasons that make you believe he's going to break out, even listing examples of backs who were benched for being bad at being running backs, but bounced back in there second year was extremely useful and informative. Thanks for adding an adult input and enlightening us, perhaps a meme with new and much more emojis would help.

It seems to be the same old song and dance on this board... because a rookie (like Jones) didn't come out have a huge, pro bowl impact right out of the gate, he sucks and can't be counted on. Like how he played in his rookie campaign is etched in stone, and that is what he will be from now on. :rolleyes:

Please read my previous post more carefully. I cut Jones slack by saying none of our RBs had much of chance last year. I never said Jones sucked or expected him to make the pro bowl his rookie year. Jones is unknown to me, didn't get a fair shake last year, has a lot to prove. So far, I see more progress made with Redd than Jones during the game. Off the field is another story.

I was pointing out there's plenty of reason to think he won't pan out and nobody is wrong to think that.

I also said it's possible he could break out and be a great back.

I even started a thread on it. With a pole.

Yeah, I saw your slanted "POLL".

This is what you wrote:

It was thoroughly negative (just like the slant in your poll :) ). Tossing in a sarcastic "Eh, maybe he'll be incredible" doesn't change that.

You've gone out of your way to be negative about the Jones, even starting a poll. Don't get mad because I point out your agenda. :)

•  

Please read my previous post more carefully. I cut Jones slack by saying none of our RBs had much of chance last year. I never said Jones sucked or expected him to make the pro bowl his rookie year. Jones is unknown to me, didn't get a fair shake last year, has a lot to prove. So far, I see more progress made with Redd than Jones during the game. Off the field is another story.

My post wasn't really directed at you. Just the misplaced attitude of many on this board about the young second-year player.

What is my agenda and why would I have one? You're ridiculous.

OMG, leave Matt alone!!! :lol:

No, it's not leave him alone. It is give him a chance. Something you have decided he doesn't need.

Stick to your slanted polls. LOL!

No, it's not leave him alone. It is give him a chance. Something you have decided he doesn't need.

Stick to your slanted polls. LOL!

I think it could go either way with him. Who knows. I hope he's the greatest ever. I don't think he will be.

Colt seems impressed.

If our OL can stay healthy and have a couple guys step up their game, He'll be fine. OL was really bad as a group after week 2 though. After Lavauro went down everyone besides Trent looked pretty bad.

That, and he needs to start being a pro, which might be his biggest problem. Athletically he has all the tools. But if he can't keep his head in the game, it won't matter.

Wasn't Jones a part time player at Florida? Yes he has the physical skill, but does he has the mental game? Hopefully we can sign a vet like Thomas to come in a help carry the load. Maybe bring back Hightower. Jones and Thompson are injuries waiting to happen. 

Archived