Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS SIGN CB JOSH NORMAN

TK

Very good corner and a very good scheme fit. He played mainly cover 3 and 2 with the Panthers and excels in that role playing off, reading routes and the QB and breaking on the ball. Good news is thats exactly what we ask our corners to do as well.

He's got an attitude as well - watching him go against Dez and Beckham twice a year will be box office.

He will be 29 later this year but this deal is essentially a 3 year deal and he should have 3 good years in the locker. Its a lot of money but with the way the cap is rising it should not stop us signing our own key free agents like Reed coming up next year.

This makes us a better team right away and also gives us room to address other priority areas like D'Line and Safety in the draft.

He maybe 29 in December but he has essentially played only 2.5 years of football.  He body is in tip top shape without the wear and tear.  And as far as we know he has not had any major injuries.  To me that is HUGE.  Nevermind the fact that he fits our scheme perfectly, especially with Breeland/Culliver on the other side.  We now have at least a top 4 pairing of CBs in the league.

Initially I was totally against this move, and thought that Dan should "put down the remote" and let Scot run things. It seemed like a old time Snyder move.

But believing Scot still is in control, and the trust he earned last year I have reconsidered and am now excited.

Basically with the recent moves at CB and the emergence of Dunbar, Culliver is now going to be cut. Also Andre Roberts.

So looking at it this way, I would rather have an elite corner than a decent one coming off injury and an overpaid WR.

Looking forward to the 2016 season with great expectations.

Just watched the NFL network bit about this. What does "traveling corner" mean?

Also, why do people keep harping on Cully? At 8mil he's not expensive for what he is. We can't cut him yet. Having 3 excellent corners is a pretty sweet problem to have.

If anyone is the odd man out, I'd say it's Blackmon. That dude sucks. Especially compared to Tolver. Dunbar is a fine #5.

Here's the thing - he will not be in single coverage in the sense of man coverage following the number one all over the formation. He will spend a lot more time in off zone coverage on one side of the formation. Thats why the Panthers decided he was not worth what he was asking - they believe in the scheme and their pass rush.

He's good, very good at what he does. He might well take away one side of the field and allow us to roll safety help to the other side or double TE or slot receivers over the top, he certainly makes us better. But we are paying a lot for a top notch zone corner.

A very accurate analysis.  Here's a detailed version of the same.  Right click on the link and select open in new tab.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2016/film-room-josh-norman

A very accurate analysis.  Here's a detailed version of the same.  Right click on the link and select open in new tab.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2016/film-room-josh-norman

Total BS article and analysis, since its obvious the writer didn't even mention the fact that QBs going against Norman had the lowest QBR rating of any CB.  The entire article is bias against him.  And to ad something else here yes the front 7 of Carolina are good but if we find one stud DL in the draft, ours might just be as good.  Kerrigan, Galette and Smith should all be 100% healthy going into camp (Kerrigan was never 100% last year to begin with).  Smith will be in his second season, and if he just improves a little then we are talking 3 great pass rushers.  I don't know too many teams that have that.  How many times did Kerrigan come close to getting sacks last year.  if Norman and Breeland can hold up on average for half second more the QBs  then we are talking trouble for every QB that plays us.  

Also the writer refused to even mention we play the exact D and again forgot to mention that we have the potential to be as good as the Panthers in our front 7.  Total fail there IMO.

BTW everyone is saying why the Panthers didn't sign Norman for the big money.  In a way they did, by tagging him, if they thought he wasn't all that they would made him an low-ball offer and let him walk.  The pulled the tag when they realized he wanted to be paid the most in the NFL, or the issue he had with Cam last year maybe just maybe didn't get resolved and they decided its better to walk away and let their cry baby QB have his way.

I know everyone is excited and so am I, but if you really believe Bryant and OBJ are shaking in their boots, you don't know professional athletes. Sure, it just got tougher for them, but they're both pretty good players and won't back down. I mean, if they are scared, they might as well file retirement papers. These matchups are what makes the game great. Two guys going head to head and both think they are the best.

Maybe the Skins FO were willing to pay what it takes to sign Norman, because they believe (been advised) Culliver might never return to the level of play he showed in San Francisco -- even after being cleared to play.

It will be interesting to see how the Skins wind up with their defensive backfield group. Still a lot of question-marks at safety and the draft doesn't seem deep with talent at the safety positions (especially free safety.)

CB is a prime position... you have to pay to have the best... QB, DL (pass rush) and CB are always top priorities for any team... our DL is building quite nicely and the draft is full of talent..

I can see you long term memory is good and you can't forget the Cerrato/Snyder years... but your short memory is not that good... do you remember Blackmon last season????... the guy got burned bad and often... we had a WR converted CB starting for this team!!!!! (it turned to be good,  but still)... 

Move on from the Cerrato years, I know it was traumatizing, but now we are under a different management, and the guy made his mark IMMEDIATELY... 

Norman is not in his last years, or a fading star looking for retirement... the guy just reached his prime!!! his best years are ahead and he will give them to US!!!!!!!

HTTR!!!!!!

ESPN with the hottest of hot takes: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/202489/washington-overcommitted-for-josh-norman

As several have said, Norman is our best CB since Champ. He and Breeland will make an excellent, physical pair. If we have anything resembling a pass rush, I'm going to like our defense.

"But they paid a price that almost no one else would. That by definition seems like an overpayment to me."

Doesn't almost every FA take the best offer?  By ESPN's definition, every FA acquisition is an overpayment? Which is probably true.  But you have to factor in the costs of not overpaying to get someone you need.  Paying $500 to get a hole in your roof patched may be an overpayment, but if no one else is available and a storm is coming, it's cheap.

Know who else likes the signing? The league's financial officers and the media heads. More storylines than normal and great match-ups resulting. This will be seen as likely to make the division (still regarded as so-so by most) more interesting to more fans/viewers who don't have a team in the division.

Think there will be any overlap between Norman going up against OBJ and Dez and the NFL's new rules about ejecting players? They did make the rule based pretty much on those guys last season.

It will be interesting to see how they toe the line between fan entertainment and building up rivalries and enforcing the rules this year.

Maybe the Skins FO were willing to pay what it takes to sign Norman, because they believe (been advised) Culliver might never return to the level of play he showed in San Francisco -- even after being cleared to play.

It will be interesting to see how the Skins wind up with their defensive backfield group. Still a lot of question-marks at safety and the draft doesn't seem deep with talent at the safety positions (especially free safety.)

Of course there's questions about Culliver, recovering from a ACL takes a year after you are clear to play (in the sense of returning to your pre-injury level)... but Culliver has talent and he might not play every defensive snap this year, but it never hurts to have quality depth... remember last year we were picking up guys from the street and improvising like crazy.... 

"But they paid a price that almost no one else would. That by definition seems like an overpayment to me."

Doesn't almost every FA take the best offer?  By ESPN's definition, every FA acquisition is an overpayment? Which is probably true.  But you have to factor in the costs of not overpaying to get someone you need.  Paying $500 to get a hole in your roof patched may be an overpayment, but if no one else is available and a storm is coming, it's cheap.

It's called 'inflation'... the rules of the market... why he will make more than Revis and Jenkins??... just because is 2016... is that simple... the Redskins will pay more than others, but it doesn't necessary means 'overpaying' ... that, only time will tell.. if he performs and have an impact, then the value is great... same will be with cousins... 

Breeland better step up his game this year now that we have Norman, lots of balls a going to thrown in his direction. The good thing is

he won't be going up against  the #1 reciever. The season is looking brighter even though the experts are giving us 50-1 shot to get to

the Super Bowl even with Norman.

ESPN with the hottest of hot takes: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/202489/washington-overcommitted-for-josh-norman

As several have said, Norman is our best CB since Champ. He and Breeland will make an excellent, physical pair. If we have anything resembling a pass rush, I'm going to like our defense.

All the "DAE SNYDER!!!" bull**** is beyond tired at this point.

Breeland better step up his game this year now that we have Norman, lots of balls a going to thrown in his direction. The good thing is

he won't be going up against  the #1 reciever. The season is looking brighter even though the experts are giving us 50-1 shot to get to

the Super Bowl even with Norman.

Sounds like a good bet to take hey!

Is there a line on the player that will get the first to be ejected for 2 unsportmanlike conduct this year in the NFL?

I could bet easily on OBJ or Norman in Week 3 :D

Archived