Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Be Right

Burgold

Be right, huh?

I said Jason Campbell would be Gibbs' Tony Banks.

I said when Allen was hired here it was the equivalent of the Niners hiring Nolan - a guy with a bad track record brought in because of the family name.

I hated the Shanahan hire and especially hated the Haslett hire.

I hated retaining Haslett even more.

I predict Barry will be a disaster, Cousins will be benched by game 5 due to turnovers, and Gruden will be fired at the end of the year. Actually that last one I already predicted back in 2013.

The takeaway from this for me is that you could eat by predicting the worst outcome for every major decision this franchise makes.

Who's the next coach Nostrodamus? :)

Here's where I'm going to have to (thankfully) backtrack on a previous prediction (I hope). Before Gruden was officially hired I started a thread for predicting the retread coach to be hired for 2016, because I was confident Snyder would continue the same pattern he has had since taking over: hire a first time offensive coach in hopes of finding the next Gibbs, undermine him when things go south, fire him, and then hand over all authority including personnel to a retread big name coach (at which point everyone says he's finally learning even though it's the same arrangement that failed with Schotferbrains, Gibbs and Shamahan ). Since he hired McC this offseason, I don't think he will sweep him under the rug next year....unless dealing with imbeciles drives him back to drinking). This means somebody not named Snyder or Allen will make the hire. Not sure if Senor McCloughan has any magic when it comes to picking a coach, but I'm guessing he goes balls out for Darrell Bevell (who ironically, is the one guy who might've turned RG3 into an effective QB).

Be right, huh?

I said when Allen was hired here it was the equivalent of the Niners hiring Nolan - a guy with a bad track record brought in because of the family name.

I predict Barry will be a disaster, Cousins will be benched by game 5 due to turnovers, and Gruden will be fired at the end of the year. Actually that last one I already predicted back in 2013.

I think this is the best case scenario.

What most likely happens - Kirk wins us 6 or 7 games, very hit and miss.  We don't get a top draft pick and can't take potentially great qb. 

I'd much prefer this season be a laugher and let the GM start from scratch.

A couple of thoughts though:

1.) From what I've read about McCloughan, he's a very loyal and cooperative personality, and that says to me he is not going to want to fire Gruden. He went to bat for Mike Nolan in SF for as long as he possibly could have.

2.) If Gruden is fired, is McCloughan really going to get to hire the next HC? So far all we know about his role with the franchise is that he's in charge of player personnel. We don't know that he'd get to pick the next coaching staff.

Bruce Allen is still team president and Dan Snyder is still Dan Snyder. I'm pretty confident they'd be heavily involved in the process of a coaching search.

The way that McCloughan went into free agency this year it is clear that he wants the Redskins to succeed. That means he wants Jay to succeed. I don't think he is sitting back, aloof, waiting to see what happens before declaring a judgment. He is actively trying to assemble the best team for Jay to win.

That said, it is on Jay's shoulder to do something. You can give a chef the best ingredients in the world and get an exquisite meal or something burnt and inedible.  It's Gruden's turn. He's remade the team in his image in a lot of ways (though the process isn't quite complete yet,) and like this thread demands... he needs to be right about his decisions esp. the huge ones like the DC he chose and the QB he chooses.

From the distance of a fan watching on TV I can't dispute his choices yet. The defense has played better (though they have fallen behind regularly in the first quarter) and Cousins seems the better fit and better man right now. More, Griffin can't be played even if they wanted him to start. So, I won't criticize his decisions, but that doesn't mean that we're not all watching.  Rooting and watching. I want Jay to be my second favorite Redskins coach of all time when it's said and done (No one can replace Gibbs) My faith that he can do this is weak, but at the same time I am ready and eager to cheer.

All I ask is that he "be right"

Those 2 press conferences were step 1 in being right. Ill tell you what, they, Gruden and Cousins, nailed it. if that message isnt a unifying call behind Cousins coming from your head coach on down, then I dont know what is.

Not only were those 2 impressive press conferences that are going to really put confidence from head coach on down, but what about all the guys winning jobs right now? Jeron Johnson signed to start, beat out by Ihenacho. Bates getting some time with the 1's, even if it is for an overall backup job. They are sending the best message that you can possibly send from the top down. Work to get better, learn from mistakes, and perform on the field, and you will be rewarded with playing time no matter where you came from. Once your on this team, the only thing that matters is work and performance. No jobs are safe unless you continue to work and perform. What better way to send that message than to award Cousins the job based on HIS PLAY ONLY!

Just surprisingly impressed at this. The message has officially been sent to everyone on this team.

Edit- and could they have picked a better time to do it? They can't even talk to Griffin for at least a week.

Wow....that has to hurt.....

This timeline has to be wrong.

Vinny was fired, like, two years ago, right? Is it possible that our record under Vinny was better than our record after Vinny?

Someone run the numbers stat!

Quick and rough calculation, 52-65 with Vinny's second stint (44%), 32-64 since (33%).

I can't believe that's true. That shocks me. But then when I really stop to think about it, 2012 is the only good season we've had post Vinny. Scratch that--only season that wasn't a fresh debacle. So now I get it.

This franchise reminds of the history of Russia. Things were awful under the autocracy of the Czars. They made a change and ended up with leftist dictatorships, and then things got worse. So then they made another change, ended up with a kleptocracy, and things managed to get even worse.

I'm just trying to figure out where the Redskins are in that continuum of their history of awful government leading to vast human misery and suffering. I'm leaning towards a period in the 1200s known as "The Tatar Yoke"

He looks like a Fred Armison character.

It's clear now: While it's too early to even consider Scotty M....Vinny was the most competent executive we've had in Snyder's reign.

Bring back Vinny!

Bring back Vinny!

In a thread entitled "Be Right" yet... sigh. :silly:

Be right, huh?

I agree. I haven't watched a whole preseason game this year...first time ever for me. I'm a weary fan.

Archived