Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Want Cousins To Start 16 Games This Fall

Veryoldschool

The biggest strike for Cousins in my book is that the NFL has spoken. For two off seasons, the Redskins let it be known that Kirk was on the trading block. Do you see who's getting picked up as a starter around the league?

No GM thinks Cousins is a starter. If they did they would jump to claim him for a third or fourth. A fourth rounder for a starting QB I. A cheap rookie contract! That's better than gold.

I just don't think the whole picture is as simple as that.

This isn't a case of everyone on the planet except the owner knowing Cousins is a stand-out QB ripe for the taking. Yea, there are issues and chances any team would take by getting him, but comparing him to the present starting QB? Its a no-brainer.

Being as I don't think we have one starting calibre QB on the roster, I'm hoping we play without one and just snap it direct to different skill players to confuse opposing D's. 

Joe and Larry said we had three starting calibre QBs on the roster during their verbal felating of the team last Thursday.

Joe and Larry said we had three starting calibre QBs on the roster during their verbal felating of the team last Thursday.

33 years a fan and I don't ever remember it being this bad. At least previously, we've oft had a veteran who could give us something. 

I've been a big defender of 10 being as I went all in on him on wanting us to lose out for either him or Luck. But you look at him now and he's as woefully bad as he was back when he was a rook. His mechanics, from his foot work right up, are NOTHING like the standard they should now be. And what goes on in his head is anyones guess. On AND off the field. Cousins just repeatedly ****s the bed when he's in an actual meaningful game and the pressures on. And I just don't see what ANYONE sees in McCoy. 

Hail. 

If we had adequate defense last year, we would have won some games with Cousins. One game that comes to mind is the Philadelphia game.

The Philly game where Cousins had the ball at the end and had to move 10 yards to get in FG range and tie at worst and proceeded to throw four straight telegraphed incompletions?

Thats awful. The sad thing is even if you mute the TV and turn on the radio you're stuck listening to ramblings of some incoherent old man

The Philly game where Cousins had the ball at the end and had to move 10 yards to get in FG range and tie at worst and proceeded to throw four straight telegraphed incompletions?

I guess that's one way to look at it. Another would be the Philly game where Cousins went 30/48 for 427 yards, 3 TDs, and put up 34 points.

I can see a decent chance of Cousins returning this offseason assuming RG3 walks.  Perhaps a 40% chance if I am giving a number for "decent."

Reasons why being that Cousins, assuming he continues to look decent and show progress this preseason and season if he makes any appearances, from a FA perspective would still probably only have a handful of locations to have a starting job opportunity, and this is one of them and would have the most "open" window as a starter if it's how it plays out.  Here is the list of teams I could see needing a starter where Cousins might be considered after this year:

Buffalo - EJ and/or possible rookie QB

NYJ - Geno, Bryce, and/or possible rookie QB

Teams where players they just signed or are still developing if they don't pan out might try again with another low risk signing, like Cousins:

Arizona - this is a threat in terms of an enticing "good" team he could start for if something happens with Palmer again

Houston - they just signed hoyer and not sure how big of a difference Cousins looks from their POV if he's on our bench this year

Cleveland - Manziel (not as "shot" as EJ or Geno yet), McCown and/or possible rookie QB

So, altogether the list is pretty small in my opinion.  I might have a team skipped in there but I went through the list of franchises, I think these are the only realistic options for teams that might want a starter next year.  

So, Cousins would know our system best, and obviously would only sign here under the assumption that we aren't drafting a QB in higher rounds because we will know draft position and what QBs we have options of... SM would probably make that decision earlyish about drafting any QB early without picking a specific one necessarily, and that way SM could continue building our roster everywhere else if Cousins came back.  NFC west style teambuilding.

so 40% takes away Cousins maybe wanting to leave our ****hole of a franchise even to be a backup with starter potential down the line (denver or that type of thing), getting a starter offer somewhere else and preferring that, or us letting him walk because we do draft a high round QB. 

I'm not including RG3 staying therefore cousins leaving due to that in this percentage.   Only the percentage of him being our starting QB next year assuming RG3 is done.  We have no clue what RG3's chances are right this second (don't look good, but putting a number on that is too difficult).

Restating it another way, I'd say Kirk is 40% chance our starter next season, 10% colt, 50% a rookie if RG3 leaves.

------------

Edit - this is *also* assuming that he remains looking good enough to be starter material...if he regresses on his own and we don't offer him anything that's not part of that 40% number.  That's only if he's actually semi coveted.

so just for fun because I am giving all these arbitrary numbers out, taking into account everything, I say there is a 23.8% chance Kirk Cousins is our starter next year. 

I guess that's one way to look at it. Another would be the Philly game where Cousins went 30/48 for 427 yards, 3 TDs, and put up 34 points.

I don't deny that he played extremely well that day, probably the best QB performance we've seen in 2 years. I just am not going to blame the defense when the QB has a chance to win the game at the end and fails.

Same argument I use with a friend against Romo. His argument is that Romo wouldn't have been in a late game scenario where he had the chance to fail if not for his awful defense. Ball in your hands, have to get the win is my argument, that's in your control at that point. And it was a failure same as Griffin against Minnesota last year. Defense was putrid but ball is in your hands with a shot.

I guess that's one way to look at it. Another would be the Philly game where Cousins went 30/48 for 427 yards, 3 TDs, and put up 34 points.

Yup.  Bad final series, lots of good series before it.

Last year Cousins was on pace for 5000 yards, 30 TDs, 27 ints over a sixteen game season.  I would take that in a heartbeat for this year, and hope to coach the ints out of him.

If we could get a third round pick for Cousins, I would trade him. Of course, everybody knows we have gotten zero offers for Cousins in three years now. Reality is, his only shot (again) to start is probably in Washington. I would be as comfortable with Colt McCoy starting. Cousins has a lot of people pulling for him (and against Griffin), including one person I have zero respect for, and that is Mike Shanahan.

Oh my now that would really suck. It would be a great FU by JJ any place but Dallas.

How many QBs that suck do we have to watch leave this team before people realize they aren't going to do anything anywhere else? He sucks just like Robert sucks just Campbell and Ramsey before them. Losing Cousins isn't going to hurt anymore than losing those other guys.

How many QBs that suck do we have to watch leave this team before people realize they aren't going to do anything anywhere else? He sucks just like Robert sucks just Campbell and Ramsey before them. Losing Cousins isn't going to hurt anymore than losing those other guys.

What about Trent Green?  How come you didn't list him.  Taylor, Cousins has 9 starts and you've reached a negative conclusion on him but not on Griffin after 36 starts.  Sure that make all kinds of sense.  I am the opposite, I'm done with Griffin because I don't think he has enough spatial intelligence to run a WCO and I'm optimistic about Cousins because he has a lot of spatial intelligence and processes things quickly and has a nice arm.  He needs improvement and perhaps he won't get over the hump but I bet he will elsewhere.  YKyle Shanny says Cousins has potential for the very same reason.

What about Trent Green? How come you didn't list him. Taylor, Cousins has 9 starts and you've reached a negative conclusion on him but not on Griffin after 36 starts. Sure that make all kinds of sense. I am the opposite, I'm done with Griffin because I don't think he has enough spatial intelligence to run a WCO and I'm optimistic about Cousins because he has a lot of spatial intelligence and processes things quickly and has a nice arm. He needs improvement and perhaps he won't get over the hump but I bet he will elsewhere. YKyle Shanny says Cousins has potential for the very same reason.

We didn't release Trent Green. He was an unfortunate casualty of when the team was being sold.

I would have thought someone who was "old school" would know that

If we could get a third round pick for Cousins, I would trade him. Of course, everybody knows we have gotten zero offers for Cousins in three years now. Reality is, his only shot (again) to start is probably in Washington. I would be as comfortable with Colt McCoy starting. Cousins has a lot of people pulling for him (and against Griffin), including one person I have zero respect for, and that is Mike Shanahan.

No one knows that YOU THINK that but YOU THINKING this does not make it a reality.

I'm one of the few who haven't given up hope on Griffin, but I do think that Kirk Cousins can be a serviceable NFL quarterback.  (See? You don't have to tear down one to support the other!)

The main knock against Kirk - interceptions - is an issue that can be corrected. 

If the Robert Griffin Experiment fails this season, Cousins will get his chance.

Main knock on Cousins is interceptions and his poor efficiency on 3d and passing situations. He was flat terrible last season in those situations. His performance also gets worse as the game goes on - check his splits from 1st half to second half.

I just want a guy to grab the job, perform and make it his. I'm increasingly of the view that guy is not currently on the roster.

I want Cousins to get an honest shot, including letting him work through the development bumps that come with not actually having played much. I would say he should get at least 8-10 consecutive games, if not the full 16 to see if he's really any good.

Cousins got a shot at the end of 2013, he did not take it. He got another shot last year with 6 games before he was benched for McCoy, so clearly he did not take that either. He may get another shot at some point this year and he may take it - he does have talent - but that's more hope than expectation IMO.

If we had adequate defense last year, we would have won some games with Cousins. One game that comes to mind is the Philadelphia game.

Here's an interesting stat, Cousins averaged almost 40 attempts per game in his starts. That's way too many. Cut down on the throws, cut down on the turnovers.

By contrast, Griffin was somewhere in the low 30s for attempts per game.

Now, both guys would benefit from improved defense, but if they committed to the run with Cousins and didn't make it all about him slinging it around, they'd better off. But I'd have to know the rushing attempts per game when Cousins started to know for sure if they ran it less.

Cousins got a shot at the end of 2013, he did not take it. He got another shot last year with 6 games before he was benched for McCoy, so clearly he did not take that either. He may get another shot at some point this year and he may take it - he does have talent - but that's more hope than expectation IMO.

Three games isn't much of a shot for a 2nd year QB with 1 start under his belt at the time. The 6 games last year were uneven, I'd say, but he showed there might be something there. Hence why he should be allowed to play through it.

Three games isn't much of a shot for a 2nd year QB with 1 start under his belt at the time.

Agreed. But it was a shot. Last year when Griffin was hurt was his big chance. It was his chance to take the job and make it his. He didn't. Again he may get another shot (one way or another I think we will see him at some point this year) and if he does I hope he kills it and makes it his job for ten years. I just don't see it happening.

Much like RG, Cousins deserves a shot without having to deal with the worst defense/special teams/O-Line in the league.

There's a better than even chance that both of these guys are good enough to have success with an average organization, as opposed to neither of them having the talent for the league.

Archived