Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As best as I can tell, the movie American Sniper is being turned into a hate film by the liberal media

Springfield

Looks like a good movie to me.

But I'm not sure why it's a problem that people have different opinions about it.

If MM or Seth Rogen want to be douchey or express their dislike for the movie (or it's theme), so be it.

It won't change anything about it and it appears that it's a commercial and award level success.

How ANYONE can construe the masterfully poignant job Eastwood did with this as a 'hate film' is utterly beyond me. 

He hasn't glamorised war. Or the rights or wrongs of Americas involvement in Iraq. He hasn't brought politics into it in any shape or form. He's just handled the tricky subject of a great patriots life with class and dignity and painted a very poignant picture of a man who just wanted to serve and protect his Country and family.

And the fantastically delicate way he handled the ending, giving Kyle the utmost respect and honor he deserves; I'm not ashamed to say had me welling up in the theatre.

Ridiculous that people are looking for an angle from a great work by all concerned that is nothing more than honoring a true American hero and  looking behind what brings these guys to do what they do. 

Hail. 

Really though you can't comment of what a great patriot Kyle is without also recognizing that he fought for the ideals of the country, free speech and the right to be an asshole being some of them.

;)

Again - MM and Seth Rogen are nothing in the grand scheme of things. If anything, their comments will rally the conservative base to go see the movie a 1000 times more.  

I think the movie does a pretty great job of showing that he was both an incredibly skilled soldier with very admirable commitment to the safety of his fellow troops as well as a being a flawed and troubled guy.  It seems a pretty honest and nuanced biography, to me. 

I think reducing Kyle to a simple "villian" or a "hero" without any of that nuance or subtlety is doing a disservice and is infantalizing the discussion.  So stupid.  Its a complex story, told well in a very good movie. 

Thought the movie was well done. I think it also hinted at some of the "issues" that have been covered with Kyle's personality when he got back stateside, namely that he could be a jerk, while also showing how ... well ... that shouldn't come as a surprise given what he went through.

I'm far from conservative ... probably lean closer to liberal (mainly socially) and I see no issue with this film and enjoyed it. Not really sure what Moore or Rogan are getting at. It's almost like ... hey it's a war movie ... we should make a comment on glorifying war being bad! But ... if you see the movie, I can hardly see how it glorifies war ... if anything it shows the dark side of it. I don't know ... this seems really empty on both Rogan and Moore's parts ... gotta disagree with them.

I haven't seen the movie yet.  I am quite sure it's good.  Looking forward to date night.

More than anything, though, I am relieved to finally discover the precise identity of this "liberal media" I hear some people whining about from time to time.  After all these years of hearing lurid tales about these shadowy power brokers, I FINALLY know who the liberal media specifically consists of: a onetime documentarian turned professional bomb-thrower and the young John Goodman lookalike from "Knocked Up."

What a relief!

Now I can certainly see the movie creating those portrayals ... but I think it's 110% on the audience to make those interpretations on their own ... the movie was about war ... and a war against a religious group more so than a country. 

Similarly, I would imagine someone watching HBO's The Pacific in 1948 with access to social media technology would say similar things about Japanese. 

All war movies are kinda propaganda movies to a certain degree.  This tends to rub some people the wrong way.  They can express their opinions.  Also, Mike Huckabee thinks Beyonce is destroying the moral fabric of America's youth.

And all of this means….nothing.  Go see the movie if you want to, or don't.  Listen to Beyonce if you want to, or don't.

Liberal political activist. But if you are paying attention to the liberal media....

I have no idea what you are angling at or talking about. But that's expected from you at this point I guess.

Liberal political activist. But if you are paying attention to the liberal media....

I have no idea what you are angling at or talking about. But that's expected from you at this point I guess.

Not angling at anything.  Just stating he is a liberal political activist.  Not sure the OP declared him as liberal media, he did give two liberals and referenced news outlets as well.

Also the "not knowing what liberal media is".

When a thread is started with a premise we all get, but then we get into the semantics of well MM isn't part of the media, or the declarations that there is no such thing as media bias, well you kind are the ones angling.

You understand what point the OP is trying to make, but play the liberal games....

Archived