Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

I know you can't win on FA alone.  I want us to build through the draft.  I think your reaching though to think we will hit on 3 solid contributors per year from the draft, consecutively for 3 years.  Assuming you are talking about landing 3 starters.  And by starters, I mean they could start on any team, not just ours.

McCloughan's track record says its definitely do-able. Don't see why not. If we pretty much copy exactly what the Seahawks have been doing I then we'd be finally doing it right. 

Interesting to note on using FA to build a team...The Seahawks have gotten ALL of their DLine players from FA.  On defense, they draft all of their skill players(all 7 of their LBs and DBs were drafted by Seattle), but they signed via FA all of their DLs.  On offense, they drafted all of ther OL players, but outside of QB they signed via FA or trade every skill position player.

Maybe they have seen that its too expensive in the NFL to get good defensive skill position players, and good offensive linemen via free agency, but there is a lot of value in big bodies on the defensive line, and the offensive skill positions.

McCloughan's track record says its definitely do-able. Don't see why not. If we pretty much copy exactly what the Seahawks have been doing I then we'd be finally doing it right. 

He was the man drafting for Seattle, no doubt.  What worries me is he now works for Dan and Bruce, and one can say what they want to, I'm still not convinced that they don't and won't still meddle and influence strategy and game plan for FA and the draft, regardless of McCloughans track record.

He struck gold with Chancellor (5th Rnd), Wright (4th), Sherman (5th), Maxwell (6th) in 2010 and 2011 and Sweezy (7th) (2012) no doubt about it.  It still took from 2009 through the 2012 drafts (5 years to build a contender), with him getting lucky and hitting gold on 5 late round draft picks.

Also, they had an extra 1st round pick in 2010.  Their offensive line is made up of two first round picks, 2 second round picks then the one 7th round pick.  My point, it still took them 5 years to build a Super Bowl contending team, while getting lucky that their late round picks worked out so well and were starting material (for any team).

I hope it works out that way for us the way it did in Seattle.  Until it does, I'm just skeptical, regardless of who the coach, GM or VP is.  

Interesting to note on using FA to build a team...The Seahawks have gotten ALL of their DLine players from FA.  On defense, they draft all of their skill players(all 7 of their LBs and DBs were drafted by Seattle), but they signed via FA all of their DLs.  On offense, they drafted all of ther OL players, but outside of QB they signed via FA or trade every skill position player.

Maybe they have seen that its too expensive in the NFL to get good defensive skill position players, and good offensive linemen via free agency, but there is a lot of value in big bodies on the defensive line, and the offensive skill positions.

I noticed that too looking at their drafts and starters/roster.  They took an oline man with a 1st or 2nd round pick every year from 2009 to 2011 and again in 2014.  They drafted ****ty at the WR, TE spots his tenure and all the DTs drafted do not start except hill (rest were FA).

Their WR corps sucks, TE sucks (until now w/Graham).  Seems like he is the man on drafting defensive backs/safeties, oline and linebackers. 

I'm fine with that, I just hope Dan and Bruce leave him alone and let him work.  But its going to still take at least 4 years/drafts w/FA to get the team consistent enough to make the playoffs.  We only have one o-lineman (LT) worth a damn.  

Can we please stop with the nonsense that it's going to take years for this team to get good?     I'm a 76ers fan...I hear enough of that garbage already.

This roster is already better then the 2012 roster.    The bigger issue is the coaching staff...not the roster.

Can we please stop with the nonsense that it's going to take years for this team to get good?     I'm a 76ers fan...I hear enough of that garbage already.

This roster is already better then the 2012 roster.    The bigger issue is the coaching staff...not the roster.

You are delusional.  Please feel free to elaborate on how our roster is better than 2012 to back up your ridiculous assumption.  

The only position better since 2012 is WR with the addition of DJax.  Now with Roberts looking like a failed project, we really have DJax and Garcon.  

Granted, the success of 2012 was more running the read option and taking everyone off guard because we actually had a QB that had the speed to pull it off.  I also didn't reference that season for what its worth.  

Again, outside of upgrading the #1 WR spot, what have we done to significantly improve the team?  Our oline is one of the worst in the league outside Trent.  Outside Hall, our defensive backfield is a mess.  Our D-line is undersized and not suited for a true 3-4.  Our middle linebackers are weak/average.

Our best defensive players are our ROLB and LOLB and we are going to lose Orakpo, with only Kerrigan being a gem.  

Our WRs are strong 1-2, TE is injury prone, doesn't matter anyhow cause the QB gets sacked within 2 seconds of the snap before they can get open.

We are good at RB with Morris, but not being able to throw the ball allows teams to shut down the running game.  And don't even get me started with the QB play, granted, nobody is going to do anything behind that o-line.

But yeah.......it's not going to take 3-4 years of drafting/FA to fix this team  :rolleyes:

a 6ers and Skins fan?  oh man....   I'm sure these last 2 years have really been pushing your patience to the limits lol

That's the grade he was given on ESPN.  Granted, I think he was better than a D too, maybe C or C+.  With a solid, stud NT, his grade could move up a B, assuming we keep a 3-4 base.  

Good point, I was shocked to wake up today and even knew we contacted Rolle.  I really hate this time of year.

Polian's grades are a horrible guide to go by.

Hell, let's look at something simple here. These two players deserve the same basic contract based on Polian's numbers:

Player 1: 24 total games played. 0 games started. Two seasons entirely lost to injury

Stats last year ----> DNP (Injury)

Stats career ----> 2 Sacks, 1 forced fumble, 8 Solo Tackles, 8 Tackle Assts

Career yearly average ---> .5 sacks, .25 forced fumbles, 2 solo tackles, 2 tackle assts

Player 2: 55 total games played. 40 games started. Played in at least 11 games every season

Stats last year ----> 6 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 3 pass defended, 24 solo tackles, 9 tackle assts

Stats career ----> 12 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 5 pass defended, 56 solo tackles, 38 tackle assts, 1 safety

Career yearly average ---> 3 sacks, .5 forced fumbles, 1.25 passes defended, 14 solo tackles, 9.5 tackle assts, .25 safeties

By Polian's grading, both of those guys deserve the same contract consideration...minimum salary, 1 year deal.

Player one was a guy I actually do like and I think still has potential, Chris Nield. The other guy is Stephen Paea.

To equate those two in terms of their quality as a Free Agent is beyond ridiculous.

You are delusional.  Please feel free to elaborate on how our roster is better than 2012 to back up your ridiculous assumption.  

The only position better since 2012 is WR with the addition of DJax.  Now with Roberts looking like a failed project, we really have DJax and Garcon.  

If you look at the players they are TODAY, yeah I think our roster is better then 2012's.  In 2012 we had an injured Orakpo, Keenan Robinson, Fred Davis (hell we had to call Cooley and tell him to make sure his football cleats stil fit).... our best players that year were RGIII, Garcon, Cofield, London Fletcher (how sad is that?), Kerrigan and Dhall.

With our roster not even being finalized yet, we've replaced London with KRob, Dhall for the time being with Amerson/Breeland, Fred Davis with Jordan Reed/Niles Paul, added Djax to the mix and I would've even say Garcon has regressed, I think he looks that way because Robert Griff looks that way.  Orakpo is gone (I think) and we should be replacing him with a defensive player in the draft with a higher ceiling then he ever had, Kerrigan has improved dramatically, 

Tell me I'm wrong all you want but the fact is our Oline looked better then it actually was because of the read option scheme Shanny installed.  We all knew they looked much better on the field then they did on paper.

Any S scheduled for a visit?

Not even sure Browner comes up today.  He's still talking to NoLa.

Very quiet.

Ravens also started talking to Knighton.  Not sure if it's legit or if Knighton is driving up the price.  Both could be true cause the Ravens could compete this year.

a 6ers and Skins fan?  oh man....   I'm sure these last 2 years have really been pushing your patience to the limits lol

I'm cranky...no doubt!

Granted, the success of 2012 was more running the read option and taking everyone off guard because we actually had a QB that had the speed to pull it off.  I also didn't reference that season for what its worth.  

Again, outside of upgrading the #1 WR spot, what have we done to significantly improve the team?  Our oline is one of the worst in the league outside Trent.  Outside Hall, our defensive backfield is a mess.  Our D-line is undersized and not suited for a true 3-4.  Our middle linebackers are weak/average.

Our best defensive players are our ROLB and LOLB and we are going to lose Orakpo, with only Kerrigan being a gem.  

Our WRs are strong 1-2, TE is injury prone, doesn't matter anyhow cause the QB gets sacked within 2 seconds of the snap before they can get open.

We are good at RB with Morris, but not being able to throw the ball allows teams to shut down the running game.  And don't even get me started with the QB play, granted, nobody is going to do anything behind that o-line.

But yeah.......it's not going to take 3-4 years of drafting/FA to fix this team  :rolleyes:

You've been smoking with Jay & Silent Bob way too much.

Archived