Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rule Changes: The half interception

Burgold

As the NFL tinkers with illegalizing salutes, baseball swings, and other rule changes... I think it'd be nice to see a change in how we rate or score.  I present the half interception.

In the Browns' game, both Cousins and Griffin threw an interception.  They were clear picks.  Bad throws: one too late and one too high, but often when watching a game I see interceptions of good throws.  Case in point, during the Pats practice I attended, one of the QB's tossed a screen pass to Santana Moss.  Perfect throw, nice location, not too hard, but Moss bobbled it.  He guggled it more than three times before swatting it into the air like a volleyball and it landed in the hands of their nose tackle.

On Twitter and here in ES everyone cried how Griffin was throwing these terrible interceptions.  Clearly, that one wasn't on Griffin.  I think it would be interesting to have in a case such as this the half interception.  The QB gets half for throwing it in a dangerous location, but the receiver gets a half for not defending it, catching it, or worse outright tipping it/handing it over to a defender.

Just as they are beginning to keep records on drops, I think the half interception woudl be a more honest reflection of QB play.

Just a thought.  What do you think?  Any other rule changes you'd like?

I know I'd like to erase a few rules... especially the anti fun ones.  Bring back the Fun Bunch and the ability to spin, spike, and celebrate freely.  Yes, it was getting overdone, but if we're allowed to cheer in the stands and at home, the players should be allowed to exult after a great play too.

I actually like the idea, if the critieria can be clearly worked out.  It doesn't seem right that a throw that hits a receiver in stride in the numbers, yet bounces out of his hands into the arms of a lucky defender standing nearby counts the same against a quarterback as an ill-advised pass badly overthrown.

You would almost need to use an official scorer, like baseball does for errors, to score half INTs. 

Realistically, I think it's too radical of a change to a long-standing football statistic for it to ever happen, but I do think it's a good idea.

I always cite my wife's comment watching a game last year, from a person who doesn't watch football.

Player drew flag for celebrating a touchdown. Ref comes on screen and announces, 'unsportsmanlike penalty for celebrating in a group'...

My wife than asks 'isn't that how you're supposed to celebrate, in groups?'

No Fun League

If it wasn't for gambling, I swear this league would go belly up. But as far as half-INT, I think it's more of a metric. It's a good one, more for talent scouting though

I'm not sure about the 1/2 interception, but while we're on the topic...

I would love to see the fumble rule changed.  If the ball carrier fumbles before the whistle, it a fumble.  Period.  And the refs would have to go through the trouble of actually sorting through the pile to determine which team has possession of the football.  None of the awarding one side possession when a player from the opposing team actually has the football.

Of course its highly unlikely.  But wouldn't the games get even more interesting?

Is thread for any proposed rule change or just for the half INT idea? I would like the rule change, however I would suggest a step further. Where ever the INT player ends up outside of an end zone, the team coming onto the field does not get to flip sides and must take over from the side the last play was run from. Normally the INT team would start over going the other direction, but I propose that they take over facing the direction the direction the play was last run. If a team throws a Red Zone int at the 10 yard line and the defender is down right there, the new offense has to only move the football 10 yards for a TD. That would really make those Red Zone INTs painful.

In addition I would like the league to track defenders INT return yards, and make that a worthy stat. Its one thing for a guy to have an INT and a 10 yard return, and another one to ruturn it back 50 yards. They should keep track of these yards and let them play a part in post season awards

Eliminate punting. 1st down starts at your own 40, you got 4 downs to get 10 yds; if not, the opposing team takes over there.

Or, you could give the offense 10 plays to drive from their own 20. No 1st downs, if you're close enough for a FG, great. If you miss, the other team gets it where you missed from.

Also, FGs over 50 yds get 4 points [FF-esque ].

Eliminate punting. 1st down starts at your own 40, you got 4 downs to get 10 yds; if not, the opposing team takes over there.

Or, you could give the offense 10 plays to drive from their own 20. No 1st downs, if you're close enough for a FG, great. If you miss, the other team gets it where you missed from.

Why does everyone hate the kicking game?  Don't get me wrong here.  Punts are normally pretty mundane, but I love the Kicking Game in the context of its importance to determining Field Position.  I would hate to lose that aspect.

I'm not sure about the 1/2 interception, but while we're on the topic...

I would love to see the fumble rule changed.  If the ball carrier fumbles before the whistle, it a fumble.  Period.  And the refs would have to go through the trouble of actually sorting through the pile to determine which team has possession of the football.  None of the awarding one side possession when a player from the opposing team actually has the football.

Of course its highly unlikely.  But wouldn't the games get even more interesting?

Not sure about this one, but I would make all fumbles challengable.  If the ref blows the whistle too early that shouldn't excuse a clear and obvious fumble esp. if it's not clear that the whistle was blown before the fumble.  So, many teams have been screwed by that inadvertant whistle.

Why does everyone hate the kicking game?  Don't get me wrong here.  Punts are normally pretty mundane, but I love the Kicking Game in the context of its importance to determining Field Position.  I would hate to lose that aspect.

eh, maybe you're right; i'll just wait til our kicking game starts sucking too then come back and stick my tongue out at you. :P

Something that would be cool as hell would be a 'football cam'.

A fumble happens, we get to see the biting, hair pulling, scratching, grunting, tugging, and how many times the ball changes hands before the refs break it up.

Of course, watching the 'football cam' while a nice tight 50 yd hail mary pass is thrown might cause a few lunches to reverse course.

Just a thought.  What do you think?  Any other rule changes you'd like?

I know I'd like to erase a few rules... especially the anti fun ones.  Bring back the Fun Bunch and the ability to spin, spike, and celebrate freely.  Yes, it was getting overdone, but if we're allowed to cheer in the stands and at home, the players should be allowed to exult after a great play too.

I definitely think there should be a way to record an INT that is not ultimately the QBs fault.

I think that all penalties by the refs, all calls should be reviewable & challengeable. 

Also that in the case where a play is under review, if the ref sees a penalty during his review, he should be able to call it. Say someone fumbles in a crowd & there is clear evidence in the film that his knee was down yet & it actually is a fumble, but in the process, the tackler has a firm grip on the ball carriers facemask that wasn't previously seen by the refs. He should be able to throw a flag & say, "Yes it was a fumble, however, during the play, facemask, #blah blah, 15 yards from the previous spot of the ball, 1st down."

Football is a brutal fight from one end of the field to the other. I think that if a player scores a TD, he should be allowed to celebrate. The only issue I see is when it starts to take too long. If the celebration impedes the progress of the game, then yes, stop it. But, slam dunks, spinning, spiking, dancing....I see no problem with it.

meh, I don't like the "eliminate punting" idea. Having to march the entire field to score can not only be a disadvantage for the offense when they have to start on their own 5, but it can also be an advantage if they are able to go the length of the field & take time off the clock doing it. Yeah, I'm not a fan of eliminating punts. They aren't always the funnest plays to watch, but they serve their purpose.

I want to say 3 seasons ago when Eli threw a bunch of interceptions, I saw a breakdown of each one of them. Nearly every interception was from a tipped ball. It made me curious about other quarterbacks and how many interceptions are straight to the defender (as a percentage).

Yeah, I think eliminating punts would take out a pretty important element in one of the most important aspects of the game in field position. Yeah, it's always less fun thinking of just kicking the ball away after three short plays but I think the perk of being able to lengthen the field tremendously for the opposing team is very important especially if you have a defense that is highly capable of ending that drive quickly and in turn giving your team better field position themselves.

while we're at it, I'd like to see the QB only get credit for the yardage thrown. NOT YAC. that should be on the receiver. Also I think a RB should have to maintain possession  of the ball all the way through the play like a receiver. No more "throwing" it over the LOS and getting a TD.

Not sure about this one, but I would make all fumbles challengable.  If the ref blows the whistle too early that shouldn't excuse a clear and obvious fumble esp. if it's not clear that the whistle was blown before the fumble.  So, many teams have been screwed by that inadvertant whistle.

I'd make EVERY play challengable. 

Same amount of challenges-- but no special rules. I hate hearing so whack rule about why a bad call cant be reviewed.  

Is thread for any proposed rule change or just for the half INT idea? I would like the rule change, however I would suggest a step further. Where ever the INT player ends up outside of an end zone, the team coming onto the field does not get to flip sides and must take over from the side the last play was run from. Normally the INT team would start over going the other direction, but I propose that they take over facing the direction the direction the play was last run. If a team throws a Red Zone int at the 10 yard line and the defender is down right there, the new offense has to only move the football 10 yards for a TD. That would really make those Red Zone INTs painful.

Dang, that's a pretty drastic change. Tough one to support too. You'd end up with int defenders running the opposite direction and falling down to shorten the field for the offense. .

As the NFL tinkers with illegalizing salutes, baseball swings, and other rule changes... I think it'd be nice to see a change in how we rate or score. I present the half interception.

I love this idea and I think football outsiders or somebody similar already tracks this. It's subjective and it would cause debates though since some would think the QB didn't out it ok the money and other would think the WR should have made the play and is at fault. I would still roll the idea out. I'd prefer a more true measure of QB mistakes than the all inclusive INT and this would meet that request

eh, maybe you're right; i'll just wait til our kicking game starts sucking too then come back and stick my tongue out at you. :P

Something that would be cool as hell would be a 'football cam'.

A fumble happens, we get to see the biting, hair pulling, scratching, grunting, tugging, and how many times the ball changes hands before the refs break it up.

Of course, watching the 'football cam' while a nice tight 50 yd hail mary pass is thrown might cause a few lunches to reverse course.

I heard they had created one of these several years ago. It should have advanced in technology by now and hopefully is close to implementation.

It would add a nice new feature to tv broadcasts

so can we talk about other rule changes in this thread?

let's talk about something the league is already thinking about.... extra points...  in the 1st 2 preseason games this year, they moved the PAT back to the 15 yd line which basically made it a 32 yd fg....  8 were missed...  which isn't a lot BUT....  the 2 pt would still be placed at the 1... to me, that's knowingly giving away what you're gonna do...  personally, i'm a traditionalist....  and even being a traditionalist, i'm fine with having the 2-pt option but make it something the defense doesn't know what's going to happen.....1 or 2 from the 1..   defend it!

with all that said, here's another option i read about earlier this year.....    auto 7 on TD's....   but if you want to go for 2 (at the 1) and you don't make it, it's 6, otherwise it's 8....   the more i think about it, even being the traditionalist i am, i like it....

I like the idea of "Earned Interceptions" vs "Unearned Interceptions". Just like in baseball. If the pic was the result of a drop, then it would go into the Unearned Interceptions category. Then at the end of the year we could compare QBs based on their Earned interceptions.

The only problem with this is the question of how to determine this cause we don't really know when the QB makes the wrong read, held the ball too long, if the WR ran the wrong route, if the defender made a great play etc. But there are obvious cases, like those of drops where this could count.

But the question becomes would Morris's drop in the last Ravens game count against Morris or RG3.

Archived