Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - NFL preview magazines call Redskins ‘clueless’ and among NFL’s worst teams

Rexx1240

(From our great breaking news section)

http://www.washingto...ls-worst-teams/

"Of the magazines with power rankings, the Sporting News was the most generous, placing the Redskins 26th overall and 15th in the NFC. USA Today, the same magazine that predicted the Redskins to go 7-9, has Washington ranked last in the NFC and 30th in the league. Pro Football Now — which has been re-branded since the demise of Pro Football Weekly — showed no mercy, ranking the Redskins as the worst team in the NFL."

I have seen disrespect over the years but the details, reasoning, and inaccurate "facts" in this article absolutely take the cake. I couldn't help but chuckle and shake my head while reading. Definitely bulletin board tho. Here's to a dynamic season

It's actually worth a read, as the article somewhat mocks the ridiculousness of it. For example, Alfred Morris as the 21st ranked RB in the league.

Until the Washington Post becomes more objective in their coverage of the team, I refuse to click the link. They stay in business because we allow them to. Their hatred for the team is not hidden. It is in your face and it is constant. I don't have the will or want to read another crap article of theirs bashing this team.

Yes, I am making the assumption that it is bashing the team. I think I have an 85% chance of being right.

I know it won't happen, but I really wish everyone here would quit linking them and PFT. No disrespect to the OP.

Until the Washington Post becomes more objective in their coverage of the team, I refuse to click the link. They stay in business because we allow them to. Their hatred for the team is not hidden. It is in your face and it is constant. I don't have the will or want to read another crap article of theirs bashing this team.

Yes, I am making the assumption that it is bashing the team. I think I have an 85% chance of being right.

I know it won't happen, but I really wish everyone here would quit linking them and PFT. No disrespect to the OP.

We're good. I understand exactly where you're coming from. Usually I can ignore these type of articles as I've grown somewhat immune to it. But this one is just off the charts...

Definitely understand you pov though.

As noted above, the article actually points out the stupidity of some of the published opinions about the team.....

As to other sports mediots that are self proclaimed "experts" on the NFL, and the Redskins...I really could care the less with their opinions.  I listen to folks like Keim, Tandler, Cooley, maybe a Jaws, Kirwan, Polian, folks like that. 

We begin to win....and win consistently.....that will turn people's opinions about the team quicker than anything else that can happen.  It happened after '12 when some really like the team heading into the '13 season.  Now after a 3-13 campaign.....seems like the stars at the end of '12 are now the bums at the end of '13. 

As Al Davis so famously said.....Just win, Baby. 

I liked the quote, “The Redskins needed a big hire” [at the head coach position].  No, they didn't.  The past decade and a half has been full of big coaching hires.

Just further proof that most of those magazines aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

After a 3-13 season, I guess this is all par for the course. But that's OK... lay low now, then hopefully come out swinging as the season rolls along. Guessing #15 in the NFC IS pretty ridiculous though.

Sporting News had Skins at #15 but Athlon had us at 16 as the worst team in the conference, dead last.

I think people are missing the point.  It isn't that a team off a 3-13 season with a new coach should be ranked highly (though I'd argue an actual objective examination of what Gruden did in Cincy on offense and with a young QB, and the new pieces on both offense and D and special teams warrants a higher rating) but how the media shapes the narrative.  I mean, how is the name change issue a football story to watch?  It isn't. 

More significantly, one magazine rated Akeem Jordan as our best LB, in spite of the presence of Orakpo and Kerrigan.  Is this sloppiness or an agenda to simply revise reality to fit the narrative?  After decades of a team like the Cowboys being predicted as better than they usually end up being, why is 2012 so suddenly dismissed?  Is it based on football reasons or just because people are now piling on to dog the team no matter what?

Griffin is a reclamation project? WHat? lol  I'm sure that this happens to other teams too but when you rate one of the best RBs over TWO seasons as #21 in the league, you are either using some funky advanced metrics NO ONE has heard of, or you are using every opportunity you have to propagandize and mislead the general football fan community as to this one team.

I love it. I'd much rather do well and surprise people than be like the Cowboys who get all the praise and then stink it up. I bet you anything too that if the REDSKINS had changed their name, they'd be a lot higher on the list. It's a personal thing with these publications.

Oh one other thing...Fu*k Mara.

*staff edit*

Agreed on the sentiment, but it is against board rules to circumvent profanity filters

Wow.  I thought this article did a very good job succinctly and humorously putting down oddities and inconsistencies in these rankings.

Also, being written off tends to be a good thing.  Great thing for this franchise.  If I recall, in 2005 and 2007 we were projected to be utterly terrible.  Made the playoffs both years.  2006 and 2008, projected to win the division, yet we were last.

In 2012, wasn't our projected Vegas record 6-10?  Yet we were 10-6.  2013, we were building for greatness, yet went 3-13.

I want to know how you can go 7-9 and somehow be considered the 3rd worst team in the league...????  

Lazy journalism. It's contagious.

The only real justification is if these are end of season ranking from last year and not rankings of where they expect us to finish.

Being that I didn't click the link... I can accurately gauge.

Agreed on the laziness part. These idiots have editors deadlines that has them churning out copy on 32 Teams with a skeleton staff, because nobody buys magazines anymore

I'm as big of a realist as they come, but ranking us a the bottom of the league is just stupid.

I won't click the link because it is the Washington Post. They don't deserve it. However, people will hate on the team until we win. Unfortunately, we could win the Super Bowl and they will still hate us because of our name.

This up here ^ is the fact! Even in 91 the Redskins were 11-0 and still couldn't get any respect by the NFL or HBO, who covered the NFL at that time. We really can't blame anyone these days for ranking us so low, look at all the losing records and all the drama this team has had over the last 20 years.

But I will say this, I don't think the Redskins will be even close to the worst team in the league this season, and will most likely sweep Dallas. They also could very well be 4-0 before the Monday Night game against Seattle, making that game a huge showdown. I hate Seattle more then Dallas or Philly these days and would love nothing more then to see the Redskins put it to their sorry ass in front of the Nation.

I honestly have no idea why people let preseason rankings get under their skin.  Even if the people making the rankings were imminently qualified to do so, and they seldom are, who cares?  These people get paid to write - no one gets fired for bad predictions.  If they did, there would be no one left at ESPN.

Would people be happier if everyone had the Skins as the team to beat?  Three weeks into the season and it won't matter where anyone was in July's Power Rankings.

Archived