Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should the Redskins cut this offseason?

aqq

Most articles are estimating that the Redskins will have around 25-30 million in cap room this offseason. I am assuming they will have more cap room because besides the free agents like Fletcher and Orakpo coming off the books you have some guys with bloated contracts that should be released.

I think Adam Carriker, Stephen Bowen, Chris Chester and Kory Lichtensteiger (who must have some blackmail on Shanny to even have gotten that contract last offseason) are gone. Anyone else?

Bowen Chester Monty Polumbus Golston Rocca Royster

Don;t forget Shamaham, Hazmatt, Burns, Wilson, Biggers and Moss. Although I love Santana and he is truly one of the great Redskins of all time it is time to cut him loose so he can go somewhere else and have a chance at a ring. Plus it won't hurt our overall cap space.

Unlike many on this board I would like to see Adam Carriker retained so we can see if all his hard work to get rehabbed through last years and the most unfortunate injury kept him out of the starting lineup. Not sure enough of us realize just how good he is for our front seven regardless of the scheme.

Nick Williams, Chris Thompson I believe will be coached into starting talent with the right coaching staff to play in the slot and come out of the backfield to good effect.

With Chase Minnifield, Richard Crawford, Phillip Thomas, David Amerson and Jose Gumbs coming back next year healthy and with better preparation I think we already have some very good young guns on the team to improve our secondary. Although I would say it is imperative that we retain D Hall, he has balled out all season and is great veteran leadership for the young guns, his work ethic and passion should go a long way if it rubs off on them.

Considering the number of players that I suspect we're going to be losing, it's not like I see a whole lot of need for this team to cut people, just to open up roster spots or cap room.

Maybe some people get cut, because we happen to land a FA who takes their job away from them. Maybe (hopefully?) some people lose their jobs in training camp.

But just cutting some guy on Black Monday, just for the sake of cutting somebody? I don't see it.

There are so many players to cut you cannot cut them all at once.

First you have to decide on defense if you are keep the 3-4 or going to the 4-3 defense.

On offense we need bigger linemen but if Shanny stays he will keep the run blocking guys who cannot pass block.

We need someone to replace Josh Wilson at starting corner and maybe use Wilson covering the 3rd or 4th wide receiver.

We need a punt returner and kick returner-draft someone this year.

We need to upgrade special teams unit completely.  Time for some of the veterans on special teams to go.

Royster can go too.

Don;t forget Shamaham, Hazmatt, Burns, Wilson, Biggers and Moss. Although I love Santana and he is truly one of the great Redskins of all time it is time to cut him loose so he can go somewhere else and have a chance at a ring. Plus it won't hurt our overall cap space.

Unlike many on this board I would like to see Adam Carriker retained so we can see if all his hard work to get rehabbed through last years and the most unfortunate injury kept him out of the starting lineup. Not sure enough of us realize just how good he is for our front seven regardless of the scheme.

Nick Williams, Chris Thompson I believe will be coached into starting talent with the right coaching staff to play in the slot and come out of the backfield to good effect.

With Chase Minnifield, Richard Crawford, Phillip Thomas, David Amerson and Jose Gumbs coming back next year healthy and with better preparation I think we already have some very good young guns on the team to improve our secondary. Although I would say it is imperative that we retain D Hall, he has balled out all season and is great veteran leadership for the young guns, his work ethic and passion should go a long way if it rubs off on them.

Completely agree with all of that. The loss of carricker last season looked catastrophic early on until we adjusted. I don't think with his current injury record he is worth anything near what he currently takes home but we need to find a way to bring him back. A healthy carricker vastly improves our D line.

Looking forward to seeing our young guys in the secondary after an offseason. Amerson has shown glimpses of potential that could make him one of the best and overall there is a lot of youth on the defense.

As far as cuts: Chester, Bowen and Carricker are the obvious ones but if we need a couple of extra million to upgrade the Oline, Kory and Montgomery come into contention.

The OP's question, as regards player personnel outside of a few definites, is real hard to answer as we don't know how much further on in their progressions a lot of the young guys would be behind competent coaching. 

Let's wait and see how the new GM and staff evaluate and whom they take into camp before we start looking and judging. 

Hail. 

I'd like Orakpo back.  A guy with a knack of pressuring or getting to qbs is a big deal.  I don't think he gets the deal a double digit sack guy gets either because of the injury history.  His ending this season hurt may help us keep him.  I also think that Haslett lowers every defensive player's letter grade by at least one.  Better scheme, better utilization of players, better understanding of the time of the game will make our guys' shine more.

Moss is funny.  He's been very Jeckyll and Hyde his whole career.  One very good year followed by an average/down year, followed by a very good year, etc.  At his age though, it's time even though based on his pattern 2014 will be a good year.

The rest I don't have a feel for until I know who's at the steering wheel.  If it is Shanny in year five I want very few changes because he said this was a Superbowl team... and I don't want to spend our money during a lame duck season.

I appreciate everything santana moss has done for the redskins but in 2014 our starters should be garcon (if healthy hankerson or morgan) with robinson in the slot and reed at te. 3 wr 1 te should be our base package on offense.

Upgrades should be RT G ILB FS SS and perhaps a wr2.

Imo WR should be something we look for in the draft. There are many wr that can be found in the nfl draft.

This year Aaron Dobson Terrance Williams Ace Sanders Tavon Austin Stedman Bailey all had their moments when they were called upon. WR is an area of improvement that should come via the draft with the bpa in 2nd or 3rd round.

One thing I do not want is 2 more rb drafted when the redskins drafted 2 more rb late last year in the draft when it was obvious we needed other areas to take fliers on.

I would also not be opposed to trading our early 2nd round pick for a 1st in 2015 and a 3rd in 2014 if some team wants to jump up 20 to 25 spots from the bottom of the 2nd round.

Ask the same question on Black Monday, it will be a lot easier

First things first.

Do we stick to our failed 3-4

How to handle Rak alone, is a big discussion that needs to be had. Yep his injury helps our chances to afford him.

That leads to Rob Jackson, plan B.

Is Riley our new Fletcher? I don't know if its a failed scheme but I rarely notice him. 

Do we beef up the OL, or make it smaller and faster. Or do nothing at all.

Assessments need to be made at RB TE and WR. Hank and Reed are Fragilé

Do we do the once unthinkable and keep Fred ZZZ Davis.

Special Teams

New everything. We need a kicker that can hit the endzone. Maybe we can get one of the many ex Skins I see on other teams.

We may have found a new returner / slot guy but a new guy may cut Nick Williams faster than you can type his name.

Mike has done such a poor job there are far more questions than answers at this point.

See ya on Monday.

Instead of using all the cap space they have on signing more free agents they should really purge the roster, eat some dead money this year and get ready to account for new upcoming deals for Orakpo, Kerrigan, Trent, and RG3. You're talking about guys that are gonna have cap hits in the future ranging from 10-12M (Orakpo,Kerrigan) 12-14M (Trent) and possibly 18-20m (RG3) Get rid of the following players whose production doesn't warrant the current contracts they have (Kory, Montgomery, Chester, Bowen, Carriker) They also need to get rid of some older cheaper vets who are just taking up roster spots (Golston, Polumbus, Rocca) No long term expensive free agent signings this year other than resigning Orakpo. Smaller shorter deals for some stopgap veterans from other teams and some of own guys who shouldn't be too expensive (Hall, Riley, Baker, Merriweather) to help fill out roster then try and multiply draft picks to stock roster with young talent. A Real GM will come up with a long term vision like this. If Snyder hires another old retread veteran Coach he will just try to load up again on 5-6 big money free agents and we'll be right back in this same spot 3 years from now.

The only thing about Biggers is they're using him out of position.  I don't like faulting guys that are brought in to do one thing, then they're asked to do something they have no business doing.  This organization does that a lot, bring in guys and then force them to do things they're not fit for.  Let Biggers play strictly corner in a scheme he's good at and see what he does.  But this playing safety business isn't working out for anybody.  

Ask the same question on Black Monday, it will be a lot easier

First things first.

Do we stick to our failed 3-4

How to handle Rak alone, is a big discussion that needs to be had. Yep his injury helps our chances to afford him.

That leads to Rob Jackson, plan B.

Is Riley our new Fletcher? I don't know if its a failed scheme but I rarely notice him. 

Do we beef up the OL, or make it smaller and faster. Or do nothing at all.

Assessments need to be made at RB TE and WR. Hank and Reed are Fragilé

Do we do the once unthinkable and keep Fred ZZZ Davis.

Special Teams

New everything. We need a kicker that can hit the endzone. Maybe we can get one of the many ex Skins I see on other teams.

We may have found a new returner / slot guy but a new guy may cut Nick Williams faster than you can type his name.

Mike has done such a poor job there are far more questions than answers at this point.

See ya on Monday.

I think the OL can get bigger and faster at the same time.  And the way OL are these days, bigger doesn't necessarily equate to unathletic or slow.  We need OL that can hold up in the pass game and not get tossed around. 

And Kai is fine.  I'll sacrifice kickoffs into the endzone for a guy that makes all his FGs if i can't have both.  Kai's the best kicker we've had in a long time, I wouldn't want to jettison him for kickoffs.  We just need better kick coverage units.   

I'm not really sure of the financial impacts of any of these contracts, but I'll list the only guys that I believe the Redskins need to keep to build around. To me, the rest is details. Even some of these guys could be moved for the right price, but not cut.

Griffin

Cousins

Young

Morris

Helu

Garcon

Robinson

Reed

Williams

Jenkins

Kerrigan

Orakpo/Jackson (think you need to keep 1)

Riley

Amerson

There are other guys that I would probably keep (Paulsen, Hall, Rambo, etc.) but I wouldn't really lose any sleep if a new regime felt like their time was up either. The above guys make up a pretty decent core in my opinion.

In fact, with the right direction and some good fortune, I believe we could have a Chiefs-like bounce back in 2014. We're not very good as a team, but we have talent. In addition, we are slightly better than our 3-win record. I feel like we've had 7 toss-up type games (Detroit, Chicago, San Diego, Minnesota, New York, Atlanta, and Dallas) and managed to only win 2 of them. Granted, some of that reflects being a bad team...but many of those games came down to a single play (2-point conversion vs. Atlanta, 4th-and-10 TD vs. Dallas, etc.).

So, even though we'll be building from a 3-13 team, we might be closer to Shanahan's average of a 6-10 team when all is said and done.

Guys like Carricker, who were seriously injured, are too easy targets for this question.  Someone like Royster is a different question, though I would keep him unless we need the roster spot.  As for the line, yeah, 4/5ths of it is probably gone, though someone may be back-up worthy (dep. on $) and how the triplets (The Rib, Gettis, and T.Comp) are progressing.  Maybe Rib can play C.  Wasn't he going to get a look-at there?  On D, Golston and Wilson clearly.  Golston has maxed out his "over achieving" and is getting old.  I'd sure love to have a real NT.  Rocca, yeah.

I'm not really sure of the financial impacts of any of these contracts, but I'll list the only guys that I believe the Redskins need to keep to build around. To me, the rest is details. Even some of these guys could be moved for the right price, but not cut.

Griffin

Cousins

Young

Morris

Helu

Garcon

Robinson

Reed

Williams

Jenkins

Kerrigan

Orakpo/Jackson (think you need to keep 1)

Riley

Amerson

There are other guys that I would probably keep (Paulsen, Hall, Rambo, etc.) but I wouldn't really lose any sleep if a new regime felt like their time was up either. The above guys make up a pretty decent core in my opinion.

In fact, with the right direction and some good fortune, I believe we could have a Chiefs-like bounce back in 2014. We're not very good as a team, but we have talent. In addition, we are slightly better than our 3-win record. I feel like we've had 7 toss-up type games (Detroit, Chicago, San Diego, Minnesota, New York, Atlanta, and Dallas) and managed to only win 2 of them. Granted, some of that reflects being a bad team...but many of those games came down to a single play (2-point conversion vs. Atlanta, 4th-and-10 TD vs. Dallas, etc.).

So, even though we'll be building from a 3-13 team, we might be closer to Shanahan's average of a 6-10 team when all is said and done.

What about Cofield, Bowen?

My list of who not to cut is way shorter. Rg3, Cousins, Morris, Williams, Helu, Reed, Garcon, Riley, Kerrigan, and Forbath. Everyone else can go.

Question fellas.... if Shanny gets fired, will it happen on Monday or most likely to happen a few weeks after the season has passed?

Monday.

Archived