Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you agree with shutting down RG3?

Bonez3

Shut down RG3  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with shutting him down?

I'm no Shanny supoporter, I like almost all can't wait to hear who the new coach/staff will be. Only thing I think we all are looking forward to  along with what draft spot. (anything but #1 please)

However, 2 of his most scrutinized moves (one will likely be this one) I seemingly agree with or don't blame him for.

I agree with shutting RG3 down. I wanted him to play last few weeks and actually the whole year to develop better pocket presence in traditional set. However, at this point, he has no time and it's just futile. Thus, call it a season.

Further, I want to affirm that this is not a 'demotion' as media is loving to label it. Nor is it a attempt by Shanny to 'get fired'. I truly feel this is a move in the best interest iof the franchise.

The other move I never blamed Shanny for was playing RG3 against Sea. That was a doctors call and Dr. Andrews and that medical tent that was set up solely for RG3 was never used. Sorry, fully on medical staff there. Not the players or the coaches call. (It is, but neither can be trusted)

Anyway... interested to see results. I expect landside in agreement.

At first I wanted him to get the reps because of missing OTAs and all that. But he's being crunched so much that regardless of what happens around him, at least I don't have to watch him get walked or carted off the field.

And regardless of how much people want to push Shanny into moving traffic right now, this move proves Snyder isn't meddling anymore by not overriding the HC and will show how much of class act Griffin really is in how he responds.

Yes, but not for the reasons Shanahan is doing it. He's not learning anything by being in there getting pounded behind a pathetic line, trying to run an offense that is being shoved down his throat. Better to give him the whole offseason with his new coach working with him than risk him with a lame duck Shanahan.

A few weeks ago I bristled at the thought of switching to Kirk Cousins. I felt that would cement Season 2 of RG3 as a flop (not all his fault) and create unneeded controversy. I was hoping RG3 and the offense could find themselves and get hot down the stretch to give us some positive feelings going into next year. Well obviously that ship has sailed. This is a full blown disaster and nothing that happens in the last few games is going to change that. Even if RG3 plays well, he won’t get the support he needs. Time to shut him down and salvage the one good thing about this season, which is that RG3's knee seems to have survived the quick turnaround post surgery. He can spend this offseason working on his game instead of rehabbing a knee.

I voted no because of the reason he is being benched.  Shanahan is trying to make Snyder fire him so he can walk away with $7 million.  If he was concerned about RG3's health/injury etc then why play him against the Chiefs on a snow covered Fed ex.  Do people really believe Shanahan is doing it with the best interests of the Franchise in mind?

I'm no Shanny supoporter, I like almost all can't wait to hear who the new coach/staff will be. Only thing I think we all are looking forward to  along with what draft spot. (anything but #1 please)

However, 2 of his most scrutinized moves (one will likely be this one) I seemingly agree with or don't blame him for.

I agree with shutting RG3 down. I wanted him to play last few weeks and actually the whole year to develop better pocket presence in traditional set. However, at this point, he has no time and it's just futile. Thus, call it a season.

Further, I want to affirm that this is not a 'demotion' as media is loving to label it. Nor is it a attempt by Shanny to 'get fired'. I truly feel this is a move in the best interest iof the franchise.

The other move I never blamed Shanny for was playing RG3 against Sea. That was a doctors call and Dr. Andrews and that medical tent that was set up solely for RG3 was never used. Sorry, fully on medical staff there. Not the players or the coaches call. (It is, but neither can be trusted)

Anyway... interested to see results. I expect landside in agreement.

So you think Shanny will be fired but also think he's benching RG3 because it's in the best interest of the franchise?  Hmmm,....can't say I agree with that point of view.

I think his benching is 14 weeks too late.  I voted "no" based strictly on the circumstances leading up to this debacle, reasoning and movtive behind it.

Griffins playstyle is way too risky and dangerous to have him out there in meaningless games at the end of a horrible season.  Its not like RG3 is progressing and this will stunt it, the dude is out there looking worse and worse each week.  Chalk this season up as an L and get him the work he needs in the offseason to be a better player, because with RG3, whether or not he has the talent to be an elite pocket passer he WILL work for it.  Let him get to the offseason

I voted no because of the reason he is being benched.  Shanahan is trying to make Snyder fire him so he can walk away with $7 million.  If he was concerned about RG3's health/injury etc then why play him against the Chiefs on a snow covered Fed ex.  Do people really believe Shanahan is doing it with the best interests of the Franchise in mind?

I don't think it matters what the reason is (though I am tired of the above theory), I like what Cooley had to say about it on Mike & Mike.  RG3 mechanics are off and they need to pull him back before the corrections become harder.  I like the move.

The Rook :)

You dont bench a healthy starter to "protect" him at any level of tackle football.

If Shanahan had just sacked up and said he was benching RG3 for performance reasons, Id respect the decision a lot more. 

You should put quotes around healthy too, cause thats up for debate

I'm not voting because it's just straight up Yes or No.  I agree with you post.  Shanahan knew going into the Chiefs game that it was snowing and he could have pulled Robert then.  Instead, he let him play in the snow, risking further injury.  Just like he let him play further on in the Seahawks game when we were up 14-0.

And you are right also, GHH, because Shanahan is not acting like a 62 year old.  I'm 62 and I can't believe he's behaving this way, except to get paid $7million.  He's an ass.

I'm not voting because it's just straight up Yes or No.  I agree with you post.  Shanahan knew going into the Chiefs game that it was snowing and he could have pulled Robert then.  Instead, he let him play in the snow, risking further injury.  Just like he let him play further on in the Seahawks game when we were up 14-0.

And you are right also, GHH, because Shanahan is not acting like a 62 year old.  I'm 62 and I can't believe he's behaving this way, except to get paid $7million.  He's an ass.

He's a flat out disgrace LSF. 

How ANYONE that cares about this team can defend this man after all he's pulled the last 72 hours and more is utterly beyond me.

Hail. 

I agree, shut him down.  His play has earned him the right to be benched.   Thing is, is he really being benched for his play or to keep him healthy for next year?   Of course not, it's a power play by the head coach who wants the owner to get angry and fire him.

Actually, I think thus will be a humbling experience for Robert and will benefit him in the long run.  Might well let Robert just begin his offseason.   Heal up and when the new coach is in place; then spend time with that new coach.

You should put quotes around healthy too, cause thats up for debate

I suppose it is. But the playoff game taught us that our "coach" and his "staff" and our  "doctor" James Andrews are incapable of identifying the difference between "healthy" and "not healthy"

So I guess we'll never know

My thoughts exactly. Shanahan couldn't care less about RG's health. He is playing a stupid game, and the sooner he and his offspring are gone, the happier I will be.

I don't think it matters what the reason is (though I am tired of the above theory), I like what Cooley had to say about it on Mike & Mike.  RG3 mechanics are off and they need to pull him back before the corrections become harder.  I like the move.

The Rook :)

I don't buy it one bit. Three games left!

Yes. But not for the reasons Mike Shanahan is doing it. 

Mike Shanahan is gone after this year. Kyle Shanahan is gone after this year.

This off-season, our new staff is going to bring a new offensive system. Do we need RG3 to take reps in a system he won't even play in again?

I 100% think RG3 is a franchise QB who is capable of being our QB for the next 10 years. Let him rest and stay healthy. No need to risk his availability in 2014. If Shanahan was going to be here in 2014, I would say RG3 should get as many reps as possible. He isn't. So whats the point?

N to the freaking O!

This has ZERO to do with football and the team that the HC SHOULD be considering; and ALL to do with him acting in a self serving manner using young men as pawns in his power battle with the owner over getting his full $ 7 million early. 

Absolutely despicable from a 62 year old. 

Hail. 

Ok now GHH, did you make sure and take your blood pressure meds?  Don't go blowing an artery over this. :P

With the writing on the wall for Mike, it could very well be the case of him taking a jab at Dan, but the timing is perfect for him to cover his ass, and the reasoning behind it makes perfect sense; he just got lucky on the timing of Griffin's benching.

Its ok, i'll send ya over a Crown & 7 and a coloring book to help relax ya..

Archived