Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

The problem with O'Brien is that he's not leaving until Hackenberg leaves. So not this year. We would need a stop gap...but who wants a stop gap head coach? Kind of sucks.

You think so? I know he's definitely a loyal guy. But I would think he might jump at the opportunity that would get him to his dream job.

3rd in points scored says otherwise. As far as your assertion that they haven't been scoring Denver points, well no Duh!!! :) 1) Denver have scored 515 2) Bears - 368 3)Seahawks/Cowboys - 357 Huge difference between Denver and the next.

But, I don't only want Bevell because of his offense. I really don't want him to come and be a O-Coordinator. I want him to be a leader. He has worked with some of the best. As I said earlier Holmgren and Carroll. He has had Favre, Wilson, Peterson, Ahman Green etc.

I know those are some big names, but he knows how to handle those guys. You think Favre is easy to handle? I want him to hold people accountable for their job. We haven't seen that lately.

With the positions he has coached, the players he has worked with and the coaches he has worked for, this guy is set up for success. He has been a winner and continues to be one at this very minute.

He is on my short short short list. Bevell takes up spot 1-5 on my list. Everyone else is merely 6th best or worse. Also, for the love of all that is holy, please no Lovie Smith!!!!

Now if the Jets get fired, I wouldn't mind bringing Rex Ryan or Mike Pettine to run our defense. You may not like Rex, but our defense would be nasty and not push overs like they are now.

Mike Pettine is the DC for the Bills so he wouldn't  be able to change teams. Why would he want to come here when he gets to work with guys like Mario, Kyle Williams, Dareus, Alonso, Byrd, and Gilmore?

You think so? I know he's definitely a loyal guy. But I would think he might jump at the opportunity that would get him to his dream job.

I follow Penn State more than I do the Redskins. It is pretty much an accepted fact that O'Brien has told Hackenberg he will remain at PSU throughout his entire PSU career. O'Brien has also been all over the Northeast recruiting over the past few week. His wife also reportedly loves State College. That plus his cushy multi-million dollar salary and job security, I doubt he leaves early.

You're completely forgetting his o line, one of the best in the league.  That really can not be understated when looking at an offense.  And Gresham is, at the very least, a pretty solid athletic tight end.  And that's not even counting their rookies this year.  Let's be honest, across the board our offense has less talent than theirs.

Dalton isn't a physical specimen by any means, but people here really undersell that guy in order to oversell Gruden.  He was a borderline first rounder, not some forgotten longshot 6th rounder.

Never said that the Bengals don't have a good OL or a good TE or a good rookie class and none of that cchanges the fact that Jay Gruden developed Andy Dalton.

Didn't undersell Dalton. Unless you think Dalton's physical skillset rivals Griffins?

I follow Penn State more than I do the Redskins. It is pretty much an accepted fact that O'Brien has told Hackenberg he will remain at PSU throughout his entire PSU career. O'Brien has also been all over the Northeast recruiting over the past few week. His wife also reportedly loves State College. That plus his cushy multi-million dollar salary and job security, I doubt he leaves early.

I appreciate the info. Definitely a great job he has done for that school. I'd love to have him here, so I do hope you are wrong (but he seems like a committed guy so I bet you are right).

1:44 Tuesday afternoon and this is STILL dragging on with no word from the owner. 

Frustration isn't the word. 

Hail. 

It's becoming more apparent that Shanahan will see out the remainder of the season and I would agree that it's the sensible thing to do both from a staff and reputation point of view. I don't doubt that Snyder is as desperate to sack Shanahan as the rest of us but, thankfully, he sees the bigger picture.

It's becoming more apparent that Shanahan will see out the remainder of the season and I would agree that it's the sensible thing to do both from a staff and reputation point of view. I don't doubt that Snyder is as desperate to sack Shanahan as the rest of us but, thankfully, he sees the bigger picture.

If it wasn't for the continued leaks, speculation and innuendo that even Ray Charles can see is emanating from him I'd be down with that reasoning. 

But all it does by keeping him around for three more weeks is encourages more of the same, along with keeping the National media spotlight/ circus on us on a daily basis. 

Hail. 

There is more to that blog article if you click on it.  I googled him and was checking things out, its rare for any assistant or coach to be loved by all.  If you go through Wilson's stats he's had some bad games this year.  I noticed that the media is all about what have you done lately when it comes to the young QBs.  Luck was the hot flavor.  Now not as much. Early in the season, Wilson was struggling along with RG3.  Now Wilson is the hot flavor.  Seattle hasn't exactly been Denver as to scoring points........The next head coach often is exciting on paper when we cling to the positives, am just in my own mind trying to vet it some pro and con.  On Bevell, I don't really have an opinion yet.

Oh, I clicked on it and read the whole thing. Disgruntled stat guru fan after a bad game *shrugs*. I am all for pros and cons. When I posted a little info on Tom Clements, my favorite candidate, I mentioned some possible cons.

And I know Wilson has bad games this year, every QB does from Brady to Manning. I'm sure Bevell has had bad games. Not sure what having bad games proves?

RE:Which QB is 'hot' according to the media don't care.

Seattle doesn't have a lot more talent then we have and they played without both starting OTs for the bulk of the season and they are still top 5 in points.

Like Jay Gruden, Bevell gets huge credit for developing Russell Wilson.

Bill Walsh said..."Very few men are qualified to evaluate the QB position, and even fewer are qualified to coach the QB"

And in a QB driven league having a HC/OC that knows how to develop/coach the QB position is one if not the most important skill to have.

I also like that Bevell had worked in the WCO under some good coaches. Bevell has coached multiple positions and worked big names and coached different styles of offense. And he's been an OC/playcaller for several years.

Cons? Has only had real success with 2 really good QBs Favre/Wilson. But then again we have a really good QB prospect in Griffin. His offenses aren't overly creative in the same sense as the Packers or Saints.

Like with QBs there are important aspects of the hiring process that we can't know. That I won't even attempt to entertain...can they lead men? can the run the whole opeation? can they motivate? But those are beyond my purview.

I understand how the relationship works, I just don't see how it buys Brown a pass. Unless you're trying to say that Shanahan and Haslett are asking for types of players no one else does. Because there are other teams in the NFL that run the same schemes we do. I don't see how Shanahan and Allen could so thoroughly screw up their requests so that Brown is basically forced to find them players that generally end up being bad.

I'm still uncertain if its Brown or Campbell wr should be looking at here. The last snippet is from a WP article stating Campbell is in charge of scouting for the draft.

Morocco Brown enters his sixth season in 2013 as Director of Player Personnel after being hired from the Chicago Bears on May 20, 2008.

He is responsible for coordinating the advance scouting of Redskins opponents, participating in all Draft meetings, and the evaluation of all professional leagues for potential free agents and trade prospects.

http://www.redskins.com/team/staff/morocco-brown/aff6c80b-9305-49c4-912a-e0f87ba8779e

Scott Campbell is entering his 27th NFL season and his 13th with the Washington Redskins in 2013.

Campbell has had two different stints overseeing either the club’s college or pro scouting departments during his tenure with Washington, and assumed an expanded role directing both departments in the 2008 offseason.

http://www.redskins.com/team/staff/scott-campbell/4f1e3b8d-55f6-4a22-9363-34308f2515ce

RICHMOND—Scott Campbell, the Redskins’ director of player personnel, has a lot to be proud of these days. As the team’s top college scout, last year’s NFC East division championship was especially gratifying because of how many rookies contributed.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/blog/redskins-watch/2013/aug/5/audio-redskins-director-player-personnel-scott-cam/

1:44 Tuesday afternoon and this is STILL dragging on with no word from the owner. 

Frustration isn't the word. 

Hail.

Guarantee there are lawyers involved and no one from either side will want to say anything which could be used as either cause for dismissal or evidence of constructive dismissal through interference. It's a chess match .....and it's certainly frustrating.

If it wasn't for the continued leaks, speculation and innuendo that even Ray Charles can see is emanating from him I'd be down with that reasoning. 

But all it does by keeping him around for three more weeks is encourages more of the same, along with keeping the National media spotlight/ circus on us on a daily basis. 

Hail. 

I would agree normally, ironically though, all that would serve to do is strengthen our reputation. Think about it this way, the worst is already out - Snyder allegedly has a close relationship with Griffin - a point which has already been shot to pieces. Every week that goes by with Shanahan failing to refute rumours and generally throwing the toys out the pram, he gets weaker whilst we get stronger.

Snyder proves he's a more placid, thoughtful and calculated owner by:

• Not having got caught in the heat of the moment and making a rash decision to sack Shanahan in the past couple of days.
  • Not interfering when RGIII is benched.
  • Letting the existing coaching staff play it out rather than pushing us into further disarray by promoting guys well beyond their means for the remaining 3 games.

That's only way to play it when you're up against a respectable coach. By acting in any other manner, Snyder would only be risking our potential to hire a top level candidate - particularly at a time when the guys being banded about (Briles,O'Brien) have a secure, well paid position.

Guarantee there are lawyers involved and no one from either side will want to say anything which could be used as either cause for dismissal or evidence of constructive dismissal through interference. It's a chess match .....and it's certainly frustrating.

Excuse my simplistic ignorance, but with him refusing to deny the leak Sunday is that not a detrimental case for dismissal? 

Or would he have to flat out admit it like anything else?

Hail. 

Cut your post to save space but yeah, I can see and appreciate the point. Just frustrated and impatient to move on ya' know?

BTW, I'm chuckling at your profile pic. Man, Valderrama must of carried his own body weight around the park every game with that on top of his head. I'd forgotten his perm was THAT bad.  :lol:  

Hail. 

Excuse my simplistic ignorance, but with him refusing to deny the leak Sunday is that not a detrimental case for dismissal?

Or would he have to flat out admit it like anything else?

Hail.

Refusing to deny is not an admission. There will be language in Shannys contract about what constitutes 'cause' for dismissal without termination payout and Snyder would need to be able to prove that the threshold to use cause has been reached. There will be lawyers!

I think this is heading for a negotiation which may already be taking place about a settlement. I'm not sure Shanny is going to blink for much less than the $7M he is owed for next year .....but he would probably take a bit less to avoid the legal fees and protracted legal process of suing the Redskins for the money due if we fire him for cause and refuse to pay him anything.

Refusing to deny is not an admission. There will be language in Shannys contract about what constitutes 'cause' for dismissal without termination payout and Snyder would need to be able to prove that the threshold to use cause has been reached. There will be lawyers!

I think this is heading for a negotiation which may already be taking place about a settlement. I'm not sure Shanny is going to blink for much less than the $7M he is owed for next year .....but he would probably take a bit less to avoid the legal fees and protracted legal process of suing the Redskins for the money due if we fire him for cause and refuse to pay him anything.

If I was Danny and I and I thought Mike was being a prick I would play it like this...send out my guys to try to flesh out the leaks and if there is any tie to Mike Shanahan or anyone on his staff as the leak I would fire for cause/conduct detrimental. I would not pay and hold the information about the leaks over his head.

If I can't source the leak, I would just fire him, pay him and move on.

If I was a prick I would fire him, not pay and go to court over every red cent.

I would be willing to spend as much as it would cost to pay Mike to fight it out in court.

Archived