Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA: *TJAX*Davis, Clingan, RJ, McCoy, DJ, RC, McGlynn, EJ, Moore, Jordan, BMeri, Rogers, Hatcher, Geathers, Sharpton, Porter, Hayward, Lauvao, Roberts

DC9

Thought I would share this from twitter.

Want to apologize to the skins for an unprofessional tweet I made regarding our negotiations. Shouldn't have aired dirty laundry. Moving on

Love how people tweet my price is too high w/o knowing my price.

Moving on as in negotiations or teams??? SIGN HIM AND MERIWEATHER AND WE SHOULD BE GOOD

I agree that an Owen Daniels signing would be the end of Fred Davis in Washington, not Paulsen. I would different if we knew what we're dealing with concerning Jordan Reed's durability, but we don't so far.

And Penn would definitively be an upgrade over Polumbus. Redskins are starting to let people go once they have their replacement on the roster this offseason, and why not?

5 years, $22 million, $9 million guaranteed would probably breakdown like so if it were for a younger player ... 

Year 1: Base ($1.5m), Bonus ($2.0m) = $3.5m

Year 2: Base ($1.75m), Bonus ($2.0m) = $3.75m

Year 3: Base ($2.25m), Bonus ($2.0m) = $4.25m

Year 4: Base ($3.0m), Bonus ($2.0m) = $5.0m

Year 5: Base ($4.5m), Bonus ($1.0m) = $5.5m

But with Penn being 30, I could see the deal really being front-loaded to make him "cuttable" after 3 years ... cut bait after Year 3 and only take a hit of $1.5m rather than pay him out $10 million in his final two seasons.

Year 1: Base ($1.0m), Bonus ($2.5m) = $3.5m

Year 2: Base ($1.5m), Bonus ($2.5m) = $4.0m

Year 3: Base ($2.0m), Bonus ($2.5m) = $4.5m

Year 4: Base ($4.0m), Bonus ($1.0m) = $5.0m

Year 5: Base ($4.5m), Bonus ($0.5) = $5.0m

Second option would essentially turn into a 3 year, $13.5 million deal, which I think many of us would still be okay with.

Finally! Right?

But yeah looks that way, last year Eifert had 59 targets and Gresham had 66 targets.

The Hatcher signing was huge get in my eyes. Dude can penetrate and our DL needed that.

I don't know how/why this whole 1-gap rumor has basically become fact but even in a 2-gap based scheme a DE can still generate pressure and sacks Green Bays 2-gap DL has been getting sacks and pressures for years. But if you DL can't pressure the scheme 1-gap or 2-gap won't make them.

But adding Hatcher plus Haslett saying he will turn the OLB loose more does sound like a recipe for more pass rush.

yeah, I'm pretty excited about it too. Funny you mention GB too. For some reason, that's the team I've always pointed to as the example of how it takes 3 years to make the adjustment to a 34.of course we had some issues with personel , thanks to our fine, but we did see some flashes on our 12 run.

Hatcher signing, keeping Rak, improved ILBs. All will make a difference. Its also kind of hard to call us a 34 defense. Regardless, we have the personel now to play the 2-5 or nickle or what you want to call it.

Now we just need a couple guys watching the back end and maybe our D finally gets nasty.

I wish Ryan Clark will shut up and go take that job at ESPN in his back pocket. There are plenty of safeties better than Clark on the open market anyway.

What?

I've seen people on here call Clark immature, washed up, ignorant, a baby, question his leadership and ability over one tweet that wasn't even all that bad and that he twice apologized for.

None of these people seems to get the irony and hypocrisy in them feeling that somebody else needs to shut up on twitter but that they can badmouth people all they want on the internet.

JMS, I'd hope we try and only snag him for 4.

While his signing bonus shouldn't be that big, I'd prefer not to have dead money from him through '18.

Only reason to give him 5 years is to tiebreak with Oakland, if that's necessary. I think the FO knows that Penn is likely a 2 year rental on a 4 or 5 year deal.

If we sign Owen Daniels, I think we would be more likely to cut Niles Paul than Logan Paulsen.

If we get Owens, Niles may still be in, we kept 4 TEs last year.

But say if we draft a TE, CJ Fiedorwicz/Troy Niklas (I can see both Niles and Logan gone)

Owens, Britt, and Penn would round out a nice FA haul.

Britt because he has upside, give him a 1-2 year deal with low gtd money if possible.

Owens: was on pace for 800+ yards and 7+ TD last year before he got hurt, so IMO he can still play.

Penn: If we can get him for a good price GREAT.

OLB: Definitely need to get a vet OLB, Brandon Jenkins doesn't have the experience. Spencer prob would pick NYG or Dallas, as he gets a chance to start there vs Washington.

Other options I would look at if they are still available post draft:

Knowshow Moreno - 1000 yd + 500 receiving yards last year

...Shanahan was the devil and just didn't want to play young OL guys just to screw with the team aside, Gettis couldn't beat out a horrible Chester or Kory L. last year. I'm in the camp saying if he was showing enough in practice, he probably would have gotten a nod, at least in the last game, because Shanahan actually did reward those guys who practiced well. So, I'm going with the fact that he just didn't show enough to get on the field.  

Agreed with pretty much everything you said in this post, except I'm more in the middle on this point here. I think it's tough to say why Gettis/Lerib/Compton didn't win jobs during the season in practice because the Oline, unlike every other position on the football field, is so interdependent and even MORE SO in a Shanahan ZBS. I think both Shanny and Foerster probably thought those guys could come in and play, and maybe even be an improvement in pass blocking... but they just didn't want to mess with that chemistry. The Oline is really different and we've seen many coaches hesitant about inserting new guys on an Oline, even when guys are struggling.

I mean, what was it last year that Trent said when we re-signed Korey? Something like "he's like a comfortable worn shoe", lol. Can't find the quote. But I think we'd be naive to assume that even the player don't like having a new guy in beside them. For all we know, the coaches approached the issue and were rebuked by Trent or Montgomery for instance.

So, yeah... I just think it's hard to judge those guys based on playing time. The Oline is truly a different beast altogether and it's the hardest position on the football field to just insert new guys on.      

We've been hearing the "interchangeable safety" line for a while and it's pretty obvious that's not the case.

Yeah, Has needs to stop with that, lol. Unless we get two studs back there who can do everything, it's foolish to say. 

Archived