Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nbc's The Blacklist

Kilmer17

Recorded it, will check out tonight.  As soon as I saw James Spader months ago in the commercial, I knew I'd be in.  One of my favorite TV actors of all time.  Boston Legal was hilarious.

Random...but did you guys know Spader did a TON of softcore p0rns in the 90s?  Check out "Crash" (no, not the Sandra Bullock version).  it was a movie about a group of people who had a fetish for car wrecks.  they would intentionally cause car accidents on the highway, and then have sex in the car immediately following the pile up.  weird stuff.

I watched, I was just happy James Spader was doing something other than playing that awful character on The Office.  Oh, and I wanted to like Sleepy Hollow, but that was terrible.

As far as The Blacklist, I did enjoy it, but I annoyed my wife by pointing out the errors in geography, i.e., it would have been impossible to get from location to location in the amount of time they did without teleporting.  One of the downsides to watching a show set in the city you work in.

Caught about 15 minutes of it.  And all I could think was:  So this is basically like Silence of the Lambs meets Taken.

I didn't give it a totally fair shake though.

I definitely thought of Silence of the Lambs too when watching along with a couple other movie plots, but I really liked the season premiere.

Promising start.

But then again, I've been fooled before (Im looking at you Revolution).

Very promising start and I told someone I just hope if doesn't go the way of the following.

As far as The Blacklist, I did enjoy it, but I annoyed my wife by pointing out the errors in geography, i.e., it would have been impossible to get from location to location in the amount of time they did without teleporting.  One of the downsides to watching a show set in the city you work in.

Yes, yes, this bothered me as well. (and I also annoyed my wife) They're at The Newseum, now the Zoo.  WHAT?!?

I did like the twist at the end.  Did not see that coming.

I enjoyed the first episode. I was annoyed with the geography as well, but I can overlook that. There is always some suspension of belief that has to take place to enjoy these shows. Being a fan of 24, I could tell when certain things were about to happen, but I definitely didn't expect that twist at the end. My wife also watched the show with me. We were both looking forward to it, so hopefully we both continue to enjoy it.

Spader is awesome, but the chick is kinda wooden. Why can't NBC hire good female lead actresses? The girl on Revolution sucks too. They should have hired Yvonne Strahovski(Sarah Walker from Chuck).

I also think they rushed thru things a bit, especially the whole husband storyline(won't spoil).

I think my expectations for Blacklist were impossibly high.

I'm a huge James Spader fan and I thought the trailers for it were sensational.

But the show came and it a lot of looked like another villain of the week procedural. There were a lot of clichés.

And some of the writing was down right lazy. "They call this guy the Innkeeper." "They call this guy the Banker." "They call this guy the Chemist." Batman villain henchmen had more creative names.

Yeah, James Spader was great. And his character was a lot smarter than everybody. But the problem is that everybody else just wasn't that smart so it didn't mean as much as it should.

And the plot reveal (why is Spader so obsessed with the brand new FBI profiler?) is so obvious that I'm really hoping they find a creative twist.

I'm in - but I was expecting so much more. 

• 2 weeks later...

So far, I think it is a great show. I was a little worried with the "villain of the week thing" they have going and each episode ending wrapped up neatly. However, they are keeping it all together well with the drama of Keen and her husband's shadowy past, and of course Red.

It will be interesting to see why he has such interest in Keen. It is easy to think he is her father, but I hope they have more planned and that isn't necessarily the angle they will take.

Archived