Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Never thought I'd see the day the Heat trailed 3-1. You have to realize this team has faced very little adversity as they pretty much went out that summer and brought a championship when they got LeBron to the Heat. In that time period they have only fallen behind 0-2 ONCE. All year they dominated the postseason without breaking a sweat, they swept the Bobcats, disposed of the Nets in 5, and turned on a switch to blow up the Pacers series after falling behind 0-1 in the series. 

I hope the series ends Sunday with a Spurs demolition. The way they have destroyed the Heat is amazing. Now if only someone in the East would step up and do the same thing so this jabroni club doesn't win the East for the 5th year in a row. I don't care if it's the "Jordan" era of today. Someone step up and knock the Heat out next season from the East. Even Jordan had his Eastern Conference rivals. LeBron just runs through everyone without breaking a sweat. 

Lebron hate is ridiculous. What is the difference between these finals from last year? The bench players. Miami is getting nothing from Allen, Battier, Cole, and even throw in Chalmers. One game the big 3 went off. To act like Lebron regressed is crazy. Its basketball... I guess you could also say the Heat aren't even making the Spurs work on d with most of their players.

Even if Lebron went full Jordan... I am not sure the Heat would win.

I think the difference is that all five guys on the floor for the Spurs at any time can be a threat, even the bench guys. For Miami that can't even be said for their starters.

• Like 1

Kobe is a chucker, but he developed a hell of a post game, footwork, caught MANY a pass off a screen for a standing jump shot, and showed agility and fluidity in movement around the court.  Kobe, though in his younger days ownable in the post, became a guy who could legitimately harass elite wing players (and smaller PGs) into bad games and disrupt offenses, something I keep saying Lebron fail to do when it might matter most.

He locked Parker down in much of the 2nd half of their win. He took the guy that is most important for the Spurs offense and played really good D.

And he did it last years finals too.

It has/was written up extensively:

http://www.nba.com/heat/news_recap/defense-saved-season

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/08/transcendent-lebron-puts-up-35-leads-heat-to-98-96-win-to-tie-series-1-1/

And remember this is a guy that is a SF that also plays D PFs not a PG or SG.

I get that it was something of a natural response to Kobe magically getting Pau Gasol on his team, but the interesting thing about a Gasol, is that he didn't become a lesser player really by playing with Kobe, as much as Kobe is a huge chucker.  Whereas I can about guarantee you that the Lebron of the last five years or so would render Gasol into a lesser player, just as Bosh has been sidelined (though part of that is poor coaching, or going with what DID work but no longer does.)  I am interested to see how the next year or two plays out, both in composition (or team choice for Lebron and others) and to see if a physical decline is in the works for Lebron and what adjustments he makes in response.

I don't think Lebron makes Bosh a lesser player. Wade might, but not Lebron. In fact in this series, Bosh has one of the more memorable plays for the Heat because of the Lebron's play (the 3).

Even if you put Bosh in the post, Lebron has become an acceptably good 3 pt. shooter that teams would be hesitant to leave (not that anybody really wants to run an offense where Bosh is trying to post up Duncan).

Edited by PeterMP

Lebron is averaging 27.5ppg .600fg% 7.3rpg in this series. Durant managed 25.8ppg .475fg% 7.7rpg. So Lebron is scoring more and much more efficiently than the leagues MVP and scoring champ against the same team.

Is DWade effort and execution on defense Lebron's fault too?

That video alone, without anything further like Spoelstra and his lack of adjustments has me beyond annoyed. It's either they're trying to lose or couldn't care at all.

Okay im sorry, "heavy, complete criticism" whatever the hell that means. Criticism is criticism. 

I said specifically that before The Decision the criticism he got was not over the top or worse than what any other star player received now or in the past.  It was after The Decision that the criticism got out of control and excessive.

Isiah as in Thomas? Zeke? Him and the entire Pistons team refused to shake hands after Jordan and the Bulls finally knocked them out.

Was he even around for the Magic? I'm thinking they started up on '89 (in which case, yes he was) but I might be off a few on that.

I meant Magic as in Magic Johnson not Orlando but that was a mistake regardless it was the Bulls he walked away from without hand shaking.

That video alone, without anything further like Spoelstra and his lack of adjustments has me beyond annoyed. It's either they're trying to lose or couldn't care at all.

The only even somewhat reasonable explanation that I can think of is that he has issues night in and night out (and maybe play in and play out) assessing what his body is going to give him.  

He thinks he can lag off Green some on the cuts across the floor, and help inside for a little longer (even though there is no real reason too), recover outside to Green, and then recover back to cut Green off if he tries to drive.

He thinks he has a hope of controlling/slowing Parker down in the open court.

And he tries to go do these things and his body just can't do the things his mind is telling him that it should/could do.

I don't really understand it.  I'm now 41 and my still play basketball, but I can tell you pretty quickly during warm ups how much I have any given day for the most part.  Sometimes it comes or goes during a game.  The legs won't be there at first in somewhere during the game, you find them and you find the jump shot.  Ocassionally, you feel good in warming up, but after a couple of trips up and down the floor, the legs go.

But that's pretty rarely and certainly once it happens, you realize it pretty quickly.

Last game, he was at best the 4th best offensive player for the Heat.  He's got to be able to recognize that and play accordingly.

And they are clearly having issues with what to do with him on D (which is probably why they put him on Diaw, but that then presents a different type of mismatch).

Edited by PeterMP

I know flopping is really bad across the NBA. Just found some of these funny. Its not just James that does it, a lot of guys do. The weak ass $5,000 fine is part of the problem. If the fine was a % of that players' salary. Maybe they'd get it under control. 1st time = 3% then double that for every time. Once they get nailed for 10%+, you might see something change.

Lebron-James-Flop-GIF-011-compressor.gif

Lebron-James-Flop-GIF-025-compressor.gif

Offer them a choice, wear soft padded helmet for one game or choose a one game suspension. If they are so worried about small amounts of contact, the least the league could do is provide them with a day off or some extra protection.

Want millionaires to stop? Embarrass them.

I saw James give his, "it's just basketball," speech. Dude, that's your job. Could you imagine a doctor giving the wrong diagnosis to someone and say, "it's just medicine."

James having a bad day at work doesn't result in anyone's early demise.

I know flopping is really bad across the NBA. Just found some of these funny. Its not just James that does it, a lot of guys do. The weak ass $5,000 fine is part of the problem. If the fine was a % of that players' salary. Maybe they'd get it under control. 1st time = 3% then double that for every time. Once they get nailed for 10%+, you might see something change.

Lebron-James-Flop-GIF-011-compressor.gif

Lebron-James-Flop-GIF-025-compressor.gif

I agree completely along with other issues (like blowing in a guys ear). The NBA should implement an unsportsmanlike penalty that would be comparable to a flagrant.

Edited by bobbi3stix

James having a bad day at work doesn't result in anyone's early demise.

I agree. But to me it sounded like him brushing it off and not giving a ****. The gardener not trimming your hedges right, the dentist not fixing the right tooth, the electrician cutting an important cord...an number of analogies.

http://deadspin.com/heres-a-funny-anecdote-about-a-young-absurdly-athletic-1591135909

Boris Diaw had a period in his career when he was the butt of fat jokes, but when the Spurs big man was younger, he was in ridiculously good shape.

Marc Stein wrote an excellent feature on the journey of Diaw, but here's the highlight, a story about Diaw from then-Suns front-office employee and current Cavs general manager David Griffin.

"Boris walks into the gym one day wearing flip-flops and holding his customary cappuccino, which was a staple for him every morning," Griffin recalled. "It was during pre-draft workouts, so he sees the Vertec [machine] and asks what it is.

"We tell him it measures your vertical leap by determining how many of the bars you can touch. He asks what's the highest anyone has ever gone, and we tell him Amare' [stoudemire] cleared the entire rack.

"Boris puts down the cappuccino, takes off his flip-flops and clears the entire rack on the first try. Then he calmly puts his flip-flops back on, picks up his cappuccino and walks away, saying, 'That was not difficult.'"

Diaw might not still be able to do that, but he's one win away from a championship, so he's probably fine with his current status in life.

Edited by Destino