Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

LKB talks out of both sides of his mouth.  He'll pretend to be objective but he's a closet Boston and Houston Stan and he was crowing about them particularly hard this year.  He's as big a prisoner of the moment as anyone and he was pulling for Boston to win because he wants me to be wrong about the predictability and lack of competitiveness of the NBA.

I think he just liked bringing up your opinion of the Kyrie trade more than the predictability of the nba 

Just now, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I didn’t say anything about him winning. Still was entertaining to watch all these amazing players at the peak of their powers and seeing Durant get his ring 

I was not entertained, I watched it to confirm what I felt was going to happen anyway.  If you think there's going to be some last stand game by the Cavs to get from getting swept, you have more hope then I did that it wouldn't be LeBron in the Finals again.

When Warriors win tomorrow, we should change the title of the thread to "2018-2019 NBA Offseason Thread", and everyone in here knows it.

11 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I did.  Perhaps I'm not as crazy and agenda-driven as you all think.

You're 3PT dunk idea still sucks, before you get too carried away : )

1 minute ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

LeBron is playing better than last season imo. 

He is, but not well enough to make up for missing Kyrie's offense.  His team is worse now, they scored 87 in an elimination game and went 25% from three.  

What exactly are ya'll trying to convince yourselves of again on this one?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I think he just liked bringing up your opinion of the Kyrie trade more than the predictability of the nba 

The reason he does that is because he's bothered by the underlying claim I made: that the NBA is uncompetitive and predictable.  That the Warriors are going to wreck shop on everyone until it's time for the 76ers to do so.  And these predictions can be made years in advance.  LKB truly loves the NBA.  I do too.  But unlike him, I can do so while also accepting the fact that it's a second rate league and a farce.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You're 3PT dunk idea still sucks, before you get too carried away : )

Watch, ten years from now that idea is going to be mainstream.

BTW, I got some more NBA reform ****posts coming for you guys when the offseason begins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Watch, ten years from now that idea is going to be mainstream.

BTW, I got some more NBA reform ****posts coming for you guys when the offseason begins.

You put anything in that suggestion box I posted? :ols:

You should just drive up to New York and ask to speak to a manager.

Image result for reading giant scroll

We'll pin you to the ground until you calm down if we have to.  "Suns getting really low, Steve..."

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I see now everybody is acting like they all just knew Cleveland was going to the finals despite their 4 seed, historically bad defense, how bad they looked for large massive portions of the playoffs and missing their second best player in game 7 on the road 

ok

I did, which is why I chose them in the prediction thread. Hard to pick against LeBron in the weak East.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Any chance Rockets win tomorrow night?  Probably not from what I can tell but I can hope.

Good chance if Iggy doesn't play again. 

21 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Good chance if Iggy doesn't play again. 

I wouldn't say it's a good chance, but it's better than anyone else has by a big margin.  Golden State is still a better team than Houston, even without Iggy.  They're mortal, but still dominant.

This series has obviously been the true Finals.  Houston is a championship caliber team in most other NBA eras.  They built much better habits over the course of an excellent regular season than Golden State did.  They're hungrier, and less fatigued.  They've got two top eight players and a ton of really good role players.  They'd beat Cleveland in a Finals match up.  It wouldn't be a total ass kicking like if Golden State played them.  But they'd win.

Golden State is just too god damn good.  Houston is good enough to capitalize on another dog **** performance from them like we saw in the first quarter of game six and send them home.  And that's a commendable level of competitiveness given the reality of the NBA I guess.  But Golden State doing their thing means they'll blow Houston out again.  Nobody can even come close to hanging with them when they're executing like they did the previous three years.

The only thing that can truly alter the balance of power in the league is a drastic reform to the player acquisition system, or LeBron going to Houston this summer (and Chris Paul, Trevor Ariza, and/or Clint Capela signing extensions.)  Or maybe LeBron signing with Philly could do it too, but I have a hard time seeing that happen.  And I'm not sure such a team would actually be able to beat a healthy Golden State.

Other than that, I don't see any player migration out there this summer that can truly alter the balance of power.  Boston has no cap space and their ceiling isn't high enough to challenge the Warriors plus they're too young to truly threaten them.  The Wizards and Cavs have no cap room and aren't nearly good enough to match up with them.  Toronto is wholly fraudulent.  The 76ers are still too young.  Houston needs more horses.  The Spurs do too.  The Thunder and Blazers are pretenders.  New Orleans got a blue moon postseason from Rondo and Holiday and still got their asses handed to them.

Chris Paul and LeBron James are probably going to team up somewhere this summer, and that team might have a chance to hang with Golden State, but it would take a ton of werid stuff happening first.

On 5/26/2018 at 3:50 PM, PeterMP said:

Crowder wasn't a starting caliber wing for them, which is why they traded him (nor is Shumpert), and he didn't start in Utah.  The Cavs weren't going to fix their cap situation and trading Paul for Love and the 8th pick wasn't going to fix their cap situation.

Crowder started for them.  Jordan Clarkson does not start for them.  Crowder is a better player than both him and George Hill.  He didn't find a home with the Cavs in his half season there, but he was a starter for Boston and one of the best three and D wings in the league with them.  George Hill and Jordan Clarkson haven't taken to the Cavs either, performing at replacement level or worse.  The difference is Crowder cost 7 million dollars a year and Hill and Clarkson cost 19 and 13 respectively.  YOUR argument that the Cavs helped their cap situation by sending out Crowder and Shumpert (who again, only had a 11 million dollar player option for next season) makes no sense because they took on three times as much money next year and almost five times as much in 2020 for a dog **** return.

The Cavs would have absolutely fixed their cap situation by dealing Love for Paul because they would have been able to sign Paul this summer due to possessing his Bird Rights.  Cap space is a means to an end, and for Cleveland, the best possible end would have been to get Chris Paul and LeBron on the same team.  Paul >> Love and having Chris Paul is the key to keeping LeBron this summer.  Trading for Paul is how they would have gotten around the fact that they ****ed their cap situation to all Hell with the awful Tristan Thompson and JR Smith contracts.  Not using this season to deal Thompson and Smith and clear their cap to make a run at CP3 this summer was a colossal failure.  ADDING 32 million dollars in bad cap money by dealing for Clarkson and Hill was a stupid window dressing attempt to look competitive this year and it will cost them a chance at competing for a ring with LeBron ever again.  They have zero realistic avenue for signing Chris Paul this summer, unless he does something absolutely shocking like signing for the MLE.

Cleveland is an awful organization who makes terrible teambuilding decisions and the only reasons they won one single ring are because the second greatest basketball player in the history of the sport was born in Akron and they got the #1 overall pick the year he was in the draft and then they got three #1 overall picks in a span of four years, plus a far better team choked away a surefire championship in historic fashion.

The reason Houston should have made this deal is because they don't need Paul as badly as Cleveland does, they could have flipped an expiring for a quality medium term return, they probably aren't good enough to beat a healthy Golden State even with Paul, Clint Capela is coming up on free agency and they're about to lose their cap flexibility, and Daryl Morey is one of the best drafters in the NBA and I have no doubt that he could have turned Capela's expiring and the Brooklyn pick into a high pick yielding a stud or an All Star caliber veteran.

As is, Houston might be able to make a legit run at LeBron this summer.  But that would mean releasing Chris Paul's 35 million dollar cap hold, which would mean abandoning the one major advantage they would have for signing LeBron.

Houston's only play now is to hold on to Chris Paul, at whatever monetary cost, and to match any Capela offer.  And hope they can resign Ariza.  Some team is going to throw money at Ariza.  And Capela is going to get a max or near max offer from someone.  Houston is played out in the short term.  They're stuck bringing this same core back together (at a much higher cap number), hoping they can find someone to dump Ryan Anderson on, and hoping the Warriors get hurt.  Retooling around Harden, Love, and some kind of significant haul based around Capela and the Brooklyn pick would have significantly changed the board for them.

28 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I always figured Paul goes to Oakland next year.

For what, the MLE?  There is a salary cap in the NBA.

Chris Paul is a max contract player.

The best the Warriors can hope for in Free Agency this summer is signing someone like Danny Green to the MLE.  And honestly, that would be a great deal.  They can keep this thing rolling by keeping their core and signing someone like Danny Green.

8 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Not really. It's the one league where all the fans are okay with having 4 relevant teams every year. Thank God we aren't that way with the NFL.

Four? Try Two. If GSW wins tonight to set up a third straight, in the same time they’ve had two teams, MLB has had 6 different teams, NFL 5 and NHL 5. 

If the Spurs release their cap holds on free agents and get Danny Green and Rudy Gay to opt out, they can have max contract cap room this summer.

This is one of their last chances to have significant cap space in the near future because Kawhi Leonard has a player option for 19-20 and he's probably going to sign a DPVE this summer.

I would not be surprised to see Chris Paul or LeBron sign with San Antonio this summer.  If CP3 signs with them, it'd open up almost enough room for a max contract in Houston, and you could see LeBron leave Cleveland to join them.  But usually the market waits on the top guy, and I think CP3 is more likely to stay in Houston than leave.

The Lakers have room for two max contracts.  Dallas can get there.by trading Powell or Mathews.  Indy can get there by cutting their partially guaranteed guys and having Young opt out.  Sacramento can get there with a few opt outs.

These are the only four teams that can acquire both cp3 and LeBron this summer.  Or CP3/LeBron and Paul George.

The Lakers are low-key sitting pretty right now.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

11 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

How do you gamble so much from prison? Hey, how do you post so much too?

Before I saw his next post I was thinking wherever He was, he was the Andy DuFresne of that joint, and had his own Wi-Fi and everything

• Haha 1

I don't get it - that was an exciting game last night.  I would figure most had the Celtics in 5 or 6 going into the series.  Horrible night to go cold shooting.... probably the Western Conference is going to win this, but who knows... Lebron is in "Can't count him out territory".... I would think that he could go to whichever team finished 13-69 last season and will them to the conference finals at a minimum.... what did Jordan do with the Wizards?   Actually upon review, not a bad leap for the Wizards with Jordan. 

But really Lebron's 8 straight is quite an achievement -- but his first trip with Cleveland he probably had just as bad of a team....

1. Celtics win that series in six with Kyrie. Rozier was a disaster the entire series, and they had to work so damn hard for any offense. Kyrie would have found the fourth quarter points they needed.

2. I still can't believe Ainge took Tatum over Fultz. I don't see how he keeps his job.

3. Is it crazy to think that Marcus Morris is in the top 0.1 percent of strongest human beings who ever lived? He horse collared Lebon last night and Lebron still got the layup off. Why is science not studying Lebron's DNA?

4. I'm not sure this Cavs' team is the worst Cavs' team to ever make the Finals. That first squad Lebron took was absolute garbage.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Four? Try Two. If GSW wins tonight to set up a third straight, in the same time they’ve had two teams, MLB has had 6 different teams, NFL 5 and NHL 5. 

This is the history of the NBA since the 50s. The 70s had some parity because of the ABA. Aside from that, it's always been a one, two, or three team league.

Magic went to 50 Finals because the West in the 80s was garbage. The East always had two teams capable of making the Finals. Celtics/Sixers, Celtics/Pistons Pistons/Bulls.

I grew up on a NBA where you watched an entire season just to get to the Celtics/Lakers and/or Sixers/Lakers. The fact that four teams could have legitimately made the Finals this year feels like tremendous progress.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Why did Magic win 5 rings then ? He faced the East also...right ? 

Relax, he wasn't attacking Magic and his rings...

I am so glad I got over my LeBron hate. I've been enjoying his play the last two seasons. When he stared those bammas down after that block, I know a lot of people hated it, but that was iconic. 

• Like 1