Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CONCACAF 2014 World Cup Qualification - Play resumes Sept 6!

renaissance

That was a perfect game.

Well done boys

They still looked iffy early in the game, which seems to be a constant problem. This team is always at risk of giving up early goals. Hopefully they can figure that out before brazil.

I'm hoping to make it out to brazil for the cup, and I'd hate for the US to be down early. :)

feel bad for EJ. Thought that was a concussion as soon as it happened. Bouncing your head off the ground from a 8-9 foot fall is rarely a good thing.

Oh yeah, regarding the National Anthem at USMNT matches . . . let's get rid of the pro singer and let's let the crowd sing themselves. More powerful and uplifting than the "look at me" renditions the singers use. 

Mexico is now facing a must win at home agai nst Panama in the next match.

They sit in 5th place overall. 

The play Panama at home, then Costa Rica on the road. 

If they tie Panama, they will need to beat Costa Rica and hope that the US beats Panama (In Panama) AND that they make up the 2 goals scored difference for the tie breaker.  AND THATS JUST TO FINISH 4TH!

is there a scenario where we can tank a game to knock mexico out?

Sure.

If Mexico ties or loses to Panama, they would have to rely on us BEATING Panama to make it to 4th place.

And while Im sure we wont tank a game, I wouldnt bet on us fielding the best 11, or even 2nd or 3rd best 11 in that game.

Also, wouldnt it be awesome to be the team that wins a game to let Mexico advance?  Can you imagine being able to hold that over their heads forever?  Might be better than eliminating them.

is there a scenario where we can tank a game to knock mexico out?

Yeah Mexico basically needs to get the job done or pray the US can if they don't. To be honest I'd rather they miss the World Cup cuz their fans piss me off.  All the Guatemalans and Salvadorians were celebrating Mexico's failure the other night like they just made the world cup.  Mexico just gets on everyone's bad side.  I'm hoping for a Panama win in Mexico personally.  I kind of think we'll lose in Panama since Jurgen will be doing last min experiments since we've qualified. I do expect him to put out a decent roster against Jamaica to not disappointed US fans in Kansas City.

I don't know. In theory it's better, but in reality I'd rather have their fans suffer the embarassment. 

Their squad is really kinda sad. A lot of European based players and they can't put anything together. 

As much as I dislike Mexico, from a selfish POV I want them at the WC.  They traditionally get out of their group and sometimes into later rounds.  The better the teams from CONCACAF do in the WC helps the USA with the regional rankings.  My dream scenario is for them to squeak in, get to the knockout round, and have to face the mighty USA and get beat 2-0 again!!!

Archived