Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CONCACAF 2014 World Cup Qualification - Play resumes Sept 6!

renaissance

I can't believe Eddie Johnson was left off....

I am not that upset about that. I would rather give Green and Johanson experience. I thought Tim Ream and Brek Shea would at least get a look.

No Sacha.

I guess Jurgeon has been getting my emails....

Group of death.

But they will get to play Ghana first.  They MUST get points in that game.  A big win preferred.  And hope that Germany beats Portgual in the other first game.

If the table looks like this

USA- 3 pts +2GD

Germany +1GD

Portugal 0 pts -1

Ghana 0 pts -2

We'd be in good shape.

Playing Germany last could help if they win their first two and the US needs a point or more.

But yeah, it will take our best effort.  And maybe Portugals worst.

• 2 weeks later...

All I could say was "wow" as far as Donovan goes.  The team just appeared to be so much better with him on the field.  He is so much more creative than anyone else.  I guess the handwriting was on the wall when Klinsmann guaranteed Julian Green a spot if he committed to the U.S. 

Also want to give kudos for finding a spot for Wondo (another reason Donovan is out).  The guy did everyone asked of him and somehow finds a way to consistently put the ball in the net.

We're screwed.....Jurgen basically gave up on this world cup for next one.  This just looks like he's getting our young ones experience for the future.  That and he seems to have a clear favoritism toward the German players.  Also does anyone really expect Green to come into his first World Cup and go off?  The dude looked nervous in a friendly his only time with the US and now he's gonna waltz into Brazil. 

Group of death.

But they will get to play Ghana first. They MUST get points in that game. A big win preferred. And hope that Germany beats Portgual in the other first game.

If the table looks like this

USA- 3 pts +2GD

Germany +1GD

Portugal 0 pts -1

Ghana 0 pts -2

We'd be in good shape.

Playing Germany last could help if they win their first two and the US needs a point or more.

But yeah, it will take our best effort. And maybe Portugals worst.

I'd be shocked if we beat Ghana. Hoping for a draw at best against them.

We're screwed.....Jurgen basically gave up on this world cup for next one.  This just looks like he's getting our young ones experience for the future.  That and he seems to have a clear favoritism toward the German players.  Also does anyone really expect Green to come into his first World Cup and go off?  The dude looked nervous in a friendly his only time with the US and now he's gonna waltz into Brazil. 

I disagree (to an extent). Zusi took Lando's spot. Donovan was not going to be a starter for this team (he hasn't been one for a while now). It would be great to have someone of his experience and skill to come on and try to get a goal in the last 15-20 minutes of a game, but I would rather Green and Johannsson get that time. Let them experience the World Cup. Wondo will have to fill that role as well. His career international career has been fantastic, but I don't this his omission from the squad will have much of an effect on the team's performance.

Wondo is gonna fill the role of Donovan?  A pure poacher?  how many poaching opportunities do you think we'll get?  We'll get 4-5 shots on goal per goal if we're lucky.  Also we're going up against world class defenders who aren't going to just let him wander un marked in the box for a rebound.

Also if you think Donovan's creativity won't be missed I dare you to look back at games lately where he hasn't played.  Especially the qualifiers before the Hex.  We're a different team with him there.  More confident and simply better.

Zusi will be the creative passer feeding Clint and Jose. Wondo will be an offensive player coming off the bench when we are chasing a goal.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone gets 'injured' and Lando finds his way back on to the roster...

Honestly, I am not that suprised by the donovan ommission, for a few reasons. First of all, even Donovan has stated within the past months that he has lost a step and is slower. For a player like lando, when you lose your speed, your game changes considerably. I think this worries Klinnsman a bit.

The conspiracy side of me wants to think that Klinnsmann has a little something against Donovan after what happened at Bayern. Klinnsmann went out on a limb for Donovan, and made him is #1 priority during the winter loan season in 2009. After Donovan was a bust in Germany, Klinnsmann lost his job, and part of me thinks that Klinnsmann has issues instilling trust in him after that experience. Couple that with the fact that Donovan took a few month sebatical during the prime part of qualifying, and I could understand if Klinnsmann has a little something out for Lando.

Tactically, I can understand why players like Green and Yedlin were added. We are going to be playing some very fast teams, with a lot of speed on the wings. Yedlin is a very speedy defender, and while I don't see him getting much time (if any) at the tournament, I could see why Klinnsmann would like to have that option in reserve. I mean, lets be real too, who isnt nervous about the possibility of  seeing Beasley try to run with the likes of Christiano Ronaldo?

Overall, teams generally experience more success when they have a younger roster of upstarts, compared to a retread team trying to relive glory from the past. Think 2002 compared to 2006. Klinnsmann has done enough for me to have confidence in his decisions. I trust and respect his decision, and ultimately think it will be best for the team and put us in a good position to win.

who isnt nervous about the possibility of  seeing Beasley try to run with the likes of Christiano Ronaldo?

What has two thumbs and gets nervous every time Beasley has to defend?

This guy

Hmmmmmm

On the surface I hate wondo over Donovan.

Actually. I hate it under and over the surface too.

Needing a goal with 15 minutes left in a game, and you look down your bench, would you rather see Donovan or wondo as your option?

Terrible move IMO. Just terrible.

So the lineup for Ghana?

Howard

Chandler Cameron besler Johnson

Zusi jones Bradley diskerud

Johannson

Altidore

Or maybe green for johannson and mix moves behind Jozy?

I agree that Juergen already has an eye on 2018

Who has two thumbs and thinks he has a serious chance of a walk-on if Altidore can make the cut after an abysmally bad season in Enhlsnd?

This guy.

Hail.

I got into it on twitter with someone who used to post here about this yesterday.

He was just like, "Jozy had an off year on a bad team".

I was like, "No, he's fat and lazy and lost his job to a short knocker Italian who was on loan from Liverpool."

Sunderland looked a totally different side without Jozy in there.  Probably cause they had 11 players playing.

But it was AT LEAST twice that Jozy got Henderson's Disease in 2010... where he was 5 to 10 yards away from a wide open goal and kicked that mother ****er straight into the upper deck.  I'm so sick of Jozy.  Get him off the side.

Kilmer,

For me, you play Green and Johansson together up front.  Maybe add Wondo if you want to go 4-3-3.  But Altidore doesn't need to start, even though he will.

Good luck to Derby today!

Hmmmmmm

On the surface I hate wondo over Donovan.

Actually. I hate it under and over the surface too.

Needing a goal with 15 minutes left in a game, and you look down your bench, would you rather see Donovan or wondo as your option?

Terrible move IMO. Just terrible.

So the lineup for Ghana?

Howard

Chandler Cameron besler Johnson

Zusi jones Bradley diskerud

Johannson

Altidore

Or maybe green for johannson and mix moves behind Jozy?

I agree that Juergen already has an eye on 2018

What about the captain? 

I see it

Howard

Cameron Gonzo Besler Johnson (fingers crossed)

Zusi Jones Bradley Mix

Dempsey (Captain)

Altidore 

I wouldn't mind seeing

Howard

Cameron Gonzo Besler Johnson 

Zusi  Bradley Mix Dempsey (Captain)

Johannsson

Altidore 

But that team may not be defensive enough...

Ugh. How did I forget Dempsey.

Same back 5

Zusi Bradley jones diskerud

Dempsey

Altidore

Or maybe green on the left with mix and Dempsey up top?

Or maybe Aron paired with Dempsey?

It's late game moves that will be the issue without Donovan

Archived