Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CONCACAF 2014 World Cup Qualification - Play resumes Sept 6!

renaissance

What's the magic number now that we won and Mexico drew?

I think 16 or 17.

---------------

How can FIFA continue to ignore Mexican fan actions?  They delayed the games with theirs antics and caused 7 mins of stoppage time.  Seriously if they have to act like animals force Mexico to play in a empty stadium.

I think 16 or 17.

---------------

How can FIFA continue to ignore Mexican fan actions?  They delayed the games with theirs antics and caused 7 mins of stoppage time.  Seriously if they have to act like animals force Mexico to play in a empty stadium.

They have in the past "suspended" stadiums, forcing countries to play in non-traditional locations. I think it is time for Azteca to be suspended for the next round of WC qualifying.

Agreed. Why do police in riot gear have to create a human shield. Yeah, water bottles, laser pointers . . . it's 3rd world ****. Oh wait. 

I knew it was coming before the corner.  I remember 09 with Donovan getting rained on with garbage,vomit, etc.  Soon as Costa Rica got that corner I knew it was coming.

It is pretty despicable and cleary their actions haven't improved the Mexican team, going winless in the past 3 home games. I was in Italy for a few months and the Seria A officials actually punished teams whose crowds were to rowdy by forcing them to play in empty stadiums. Nothing is oging to change at the Azteca until FIFA lays down the law.

The US looked phenomenal last night, they played with real poise and confidence. If Altidore can continue to shine I see no reason why we can't seriously compete in Brazil. We have been missing for years a quality striker and if Altidore can continue to play up to his potential we may have finally found our guy up top. The Altidore and Dempsey chemistry is really starting to gel which will only lead to more opportunities for us up top.

That crowd last night got me itching to go to a qualifier. Anyone know when the next one will be played relatively close to the DC area?

I think we are seeing the next gen of players finally stepping up.  I don't like Beasely at Left Back but the 2 center backs have gotten better each game.  Still not perfect but getting there.

The Klinsmann system is "en fuego".

That crowd last night got me itching to go to a qualifier. Anyone know when the next one will be played relatively close to the DC area?

They just played a friendly at RFK vs Germany last weekend and vs Brazil at FedEx last summer.  It's probably going to be a while now before we see MNT around these parts again.

It is pretty despicable and cleary their actions haven't improved the Mexican team, going winless in the past 3 home games. I was in Italy for a few months and the Seria A officials actually punished teams whose crowds were to rowdy by forcing them to play in empty stadiums. Nothing is oging to change at the Azteca until FIFA lays down the law.

The US looked phenomenal last night, they played with real poise and confidence. If Altidore can continue to shine I see no reason why we can't seriously compete in Brazil. We have been missing for years a quality striker and if Altidore can continue to play up to his potential we may have finally found our guy up top. The Altidore and Dempsey chemistry is really starting to gel which will only lead to more opportunities for us up top.

No qualifiers around here this year, but they will likely play a Gold Cup match in Baltimore on July 21.

If you can make the road trip to Columbus or Kansas City those are the two closest home qualifiers remaining this year. I went to Chicago to watch the beat Honduras before the last World Cup and it was an awesome experience.

I think we are seeing the next gen of players finally stepping up.  I don't like Beasely at Left Back but the 2 center backs have gotten better each game.  Still not perfect but getting there.

The Klinsmann system is "en fuego".

Well you won't have to see him against Honduras.

Related to that, our yellow card accumulation is ridiculous right now.

Yeah I was just talking to my brother about the Beasely yellow card.  Klinsman likes him there because of his speed and he's gotten better... it's just hard for me because he has a couple of gaffes per game and he was my favorite player on the 2006 squad.

His speed did allow him to shut down what would otherwise have been a break away last night.  Like you, I liked him a lot in 2006 when I thought he was one of our 2 best players, but he is inconsistant in small area defense.  He's fast, but he's not particularly quick.  So he gets thrown off and beaten one on one in places he should never be beaten.

Mexican team doesn't improve because they just put more pressure on them.  After 15 mins if they don't score they get booed and the Mexican fans will even cheer the other team.  Mexican fans even chanted USA at point when we played them just to piss off their team. chanted Ole after each Jamaican pass when they drew them in Azteca. Mexican fan theory is if we piss off our team enough they'll improve.  That's the thing about road environments in concacaf.  Mexico is by fall the most hostile but it can be hostile to both home and away.  USA fans isn't about to turn on its own team so despite not always being bringing the amount of fans other countries bring to their qualifiers we still have a America friendly crowd only there to support them.  US team rewards them with wins.  Honestly you won't see many other teams in the Hex with fans acting like that.  Most are there to supporter their team and might give them some boos if they get frustrated but they'll never turn on their team like Mexico.  Mexico's actions would only get by in some places in South America where qualifying is treated like Life or Death.  Matches like Brazil v Argentina.  

---------------

Sadly you'll have to travel to see anymore qualifiers until next WC cycle.  Columbus, Kansas City or Salt Lake.  Columbus is hosting Mexico so I'd suggest that one if you can get tickets.  Like DC9 said we've gotten some major name friendlies so the only real events we'll have around for awhile will be the Gold Cup.

As of right now, 17 points will guarentee advancement.

But that's just the math.  The realistic scenarios make that number 14.

We need to win next Tuesday and root for a Costa Rica win over Panama.  I say that because Costa Rica has 5 games left.  3 are at home and 1 is on the road in Jamaica.  So I see there qualifying as almost certain, so it's better for them to win and keep points off of the potential 4th place teams.

If those results happen, then the magic number for 3rd place drops to 16 mathmatically. 

We could be heading to Costa Rica on Sept 6th with a chance to qualify directly.

As of right now, 17 points will guarentee advancement.

But that's just the math.  The realistic scenarios make that number 14.

We need to win next Tuesday and root for a Costa Rica win over Panama.  I say that because Costa Rica has 5 games left.  3 are at home and 1 is on the road in Jamaica.  So I see there qualifying as almost certain, so it's better for them to win and keep points off of the potential 4th place teams.

If those results happen, then the magic number for 3rd place drops to 16 mathmatically. 

We could be heading to Costa Rica on Sept 6th with a chance to qualify directly.

Now that you mention our game in Costa Rica allows me the chance to inform you we won't have to play in Saprissa.  Confirmed last night.  So I guess it will be at the National stadium.  This is awesome news.  The new stadium is surrounded by a track and has a extra 15 ft between the crowd and track.  The seats are like in another country they are so far away.

If you follow US Soccer on Facebook or Twitter they usually announce presale dates/passwords. I'm not sure how the Am Outlaws tickets work.

Edit: I assume that season ticket holders at the respective MLS stadiums also get some kind of first dibs, too.

If you follow US Soccer on Facebook or Twitter they usually announce presale dates/passwords. I'm not sure how the Am Outlaws tickets work.

Edit: I assume that season ticket holders at the respective MLS stadiums also get some kind of first dibs, too.

American outlaws get first dibs, then MLS season ticket holders for the club, then public.  That's why Mexicans have started buying Crew season tickets the last few cycles so they can get tickets then they sell the rest to fans in Columbus. That's why you have seen more Mexicans getting in.

The crowd starting around 47 seconds was amazing.  We were watching at a neighbors house, everyone got quite and simply watched and listened during that time.  Brings a tear to my eye to see 40k people together cheering in unison for our country!

The crowd starting around 47 seconds was amazing.  We were watching at a neighbors house, everyone got quite and simply watched and listened during that time.  Brings a tear to my eye to see 40k people together cheering in unison for our country!

They do it at Sounder games all the time.  It comes from Germany(mainly Dortmund).  Boom Boom Clap.

Archived