Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CONCACAF 2014 World Cup Qualification - Play resumes Sept 6!

renaissance

Ugh. How did I forget Dempsey.

Same back 5

Zusi Bradley jones diskerud

Dempsey

Altidore

Or maybe green on the left with mix and Dempsey up top?

Or maybe Aron paired with Dempsey?

It's late game moves that will be the issue without Donovan

Personally I would like to see Cameron at right back. He played there all year with Stoke, and played pretty well. Klinnsmann has said numerous times that he thinks Cameron's best position is centerback, but I think Gonzalez and Beslar make a good combo in the middle. I also don't trust Chandler at right back. My preffered lineup would be:

Howard

Cameron   Gonzalez  Beslar  F. Johnson

Bedoya      Jones        Bradley      Zusi

Dempsey         Altidore

I really wish we had another LB option so we could Fabian to LM, and keep Zusi on the right, but there is no chance I start Beasley in this tournament. Also, with Dempsey being listed as a forward on the roster (I know that doesn't mean much), I would think he is either going to be slotted into an attacking mid role or actually play up top with Altidore. Personally, I would prefer him in the attacking mid role because of his creativity and what he can bring to the table there.

Donovan is like 32 or 34 or whatever

He's too old

He would have been used largely as a figurehead. Some complain about the RAW talent taking his place but I have always subscribed to the notion of youth power over potentially washed up vets 

Donovan is like 32 or 34 or whatever

He's too old

He would have been used largely as a figurehead. Some complain about the RAW talent taking his place but I have always subscribed to the notion of youth power over potentially washed up vets

Very true, Italy found this out the hard way last world cup when kids 10 years younger were running circles around most of them. They looked old and slow and their pitiful first round exit verified it.

I got into it on twitter with someone who used to post here about this yesterday.

He was just like, "Jozy had an off year on a bad team".

I was like, "No, he's fat and lazy and lost his job to a short knocker Italian who was on loan from Liverpool."

Sunderland looked a totally different side without Jozy in there. Probably cause they had 11 players playing.

But it was AT LEAST twice that Jozy got Henderson's Disease in 2010... where he was 5 to 10 yards away from a wide open goal and kicked that mother ****er straight into the upper deck. I'm so sick of Jozy. Get him off the side.

I really don't think the average American soccer fan appreciates just how bad a season Altidore has had and just how out of shape he's looked at Sunderland. He's been arguably the single biggest flop of the English season and one of the worst forwards in the league. A whooping ONE goal in 30 games tells it's own story.

If he's your best option up top them there's a SERIOUS dirth of attacking talent Staeside.

Hail.

I really don't think the average American soccer fan appreciates just how bad a season Altidore has had and just how out of shape he's looked at Sunderland. He's been arguably the single biggest flop of the English season and one of the worst forwards in the league. A whooping ONE goal in 30 games tells it's own story.

If he's your best option up top them there's a SERIOUS dirth of attacking talent Staeside.

Hail.

Sporting Paragon... you may remember him.  I've always liked his football posts and I've trusted his basketball posts (as I don't watch basketball very much at all).  But for me his hockey (which is literally my 1A sport behind football and how I spend a lot of my free time on weekends) and his footie are always way off.  But he's played for 25 years so I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Jozy - I don't think he's our best option.

In fact I thought Edson Buddle was better 4 years ago... but blah.

To me, it's about willingness to have at least three styles of attack going into a game.  And being better than moderately good at all of them.

This is why Bradley had to go... he just stuck with the old reliables and let them have go after go.  He didn't really try anything different or shake anything up.  So I was happy to see him go.  I am also happy for him that he has Egypt humming, but he couldn't do anything more for US Soccer than he'd already done.

But, another funny thing about America... we get what we ask for and we're all of a sudden "shocked, SHOCKED" that it took place. :lol:

Hmmmmmm

On the surface I hate wondo over Donovan.

Actually. I hate it under and over the surface too.

Needing a goal with 15 minutes left in a game, and you look down your bench, would you rather see Donovan or wondo as your option?

Terrible move IMO. Just terrible.

All Wondo does is score goals, right?   I see this as a no-brainer move (although not necessarily over Donovan).  If I need a goal I look to Wondo, I just don't know who will center the ball without Donovan.

Wondo has failed every chance for the natl team except games against 4th tier island teams. And a goal against Mexico in the last friendly.

Donovan has scored against world class teams.

If the choice was a youngster over Donovan that would be one thing. But wondo over him is absurd

I'd rather Cameron at lb too. But I don't trust Gonzales against Ghana and Portugal. I'd play him vs germany

I said it 4-6 years ago that Jozy was not a good striker. He wasn't productive enough at the levels he was playing. You kinda know if a striker has a voracious appetite for goals by his mid to late teens.

Apart from a bumper crop of goals at AZ 39 goals in 67 appearances, his goal totals were: 15, 1, 0, 1, 1, 1.

He's most likely the typical striker product of the US. Fast and powerful at the youth level and was successful there. But being fast and powerful, he was never really forced to refine his game. When defenders became fast, powerful, skillful he didn't know how to overcome that. It's very typical: Edson Buddle, Eddie Johnson, Charlie Davies The other type is a wondo type guy—a male Abby Wambach. 

We need Sergio Aguero types to create their own shots. Landon was good at that. 

BUT I'm on Team Klinsi on this. **** you. You're not bigger than the team. Stay home this summer and write your poems to Bianca. 

I think Jozy has all the talent to be a good striker. I question his desire on the pitch. When he is productive, Jozy is very active. When Jozy is lazy, he has little to no impact on the game. Jozy needs to find a way to get motivated and stay active throughout the game. Hopefully playing in the World Cup will be motivating enough for him...

I think Jozy has all the talent to be a good striker. I question his desire on the pitch. When he is productive, Jozy is very active. When Jozy is lazy, he has little to no impact on the game. Jozy needs to find a way to get motivated and stay active throughout the game. Hopefully playing in the World Cup will be motivating enough for him...

Depends on how you define talent. Is it his innate qualities like speed, strength? . . yes, he's got loads of it. But I don't think he's much of a soccer player at that level. Yes, the service matters, but he had his chances and you NEED to come up with more than 1 goal and 1 assist in a season. 

Depends on how you define talent. Is it his innate qualities like speed, strength? . . yes, he's got loads of it. But I don't think he's much of a soccer player at that level. Yes, the service matters, but he had his chances and you NEED to come up with more than 1 goal and 1 assist in a season. 

For him, I define talent as movement, positioning and finishing. When he wants to be active, Jozy has good movement which leads to good positioning. He does have good size, strength and speed. Unfortunately he does not always take advantage of it. I have always been critical of Jozy's laziness in the past. To be fair, when he moves and stays active he is a very effective striker. He will never be a player like Aguero or Suarez. Then again, we really don't have anyone remotely close (right now) to that skill set.

I agree Jozy has been horrible for Sunderland this year, but he hasn't been bad in qualifying. Hopefully we will get a fully motivated Jozy who is active and mentally in the game. That Jozy is our best chance for success...

I think Jozy has all the talent to be a good striker....

Tell that Sunderland who would like to know where it's been hiding the past 10 months for the £ 7 million they waisted on him.

I don't need to tell you but he's been that bad and that out of shape on Wearsise he got dumped into the ressi/ U-21 side. Aspas is the very definition if a mediocre forward but at least he has some guile. Altidore is all power and nothing else and at the highest level that gets found out in no time. Premier league footie is a WORLDS away from the crap in CONCACAF qualifying.

It's bemusing to me so many in this thread have him in the starting XI. One can only presume if that's on merit there's some terribly bad players behind him up front for the US.

Maybe Klinnsmann needs to come out of retirement .....

Hail.

****, Klinsi's got enough smarts to get in the right place for a tap in even at this age.

Single best individual display I ever saw live from a non-Liverpool player (the night Henry was out on the wing and destroyed Carra playing full-back not withstanding but we somehow got a draw out of that game); was from Jurgen in the Cup quarter final in '95 at Anfield which they won 2-1 with a last minute Sherringham rocket. His movement that day was mesmerising and made Ruddock look like a fresh faced kid out there. The speed of thought and anticipation was a joy to behold and everything 'Spurs did that day went through the German. You couldn't help but applaud him off at the end as down as you where with the defeat. (Which he said at the time was his highlight in football but that's another story.).

As individual performances go, that tops the lot for me. Quite the accolade given there's not many top players I haven't been privileged enough to see in the flesh over the years.

Hail.

It's bemusing to me so many in this thread have him in the starting XI. One can only presume if that's on merit there's some terribly bad players behind him up front for the US.

Hail.

It's the same reason people are upset about Donovan not being included, the same reason everyone was so excited the Johannsson and Green decided to play for the US, the same reason people were upset that Dempsey transferred to Seattle. The USNMT has a serious goal scoring problem. There isn't a guy on the team that I am confident will score before the game starts. We have flawed striking options. We just have to cross our fingers and hope for the best...

Maybe Klinnsmann needs to come out of retirement .....

When Brian McBride retired from the international game I was saddened.  And though not super prolific he was still a boss.  Our attacking options that have been good since he's gone (Dempsey and Donovan) aren't really strikers, IMO, but attacking mids. 

The attack definitely has me worried.  I can understand why Donovan was dropped, though.  I think he's been lackadaisical towards the game for a long time and it's catching up to him.  That sabbatical did him no favors.  An injury, though, and he should probably be the first one in.  He has managed to show for World Cups, and it would be a nice 'security blanket' to have him coming off the bench.

A programming note that the next instance of the 30 for 30 series following the USMNT will take place on Thursday night. It'll be very interesting to see what they say about Donovan. A little bit of a behind the scenes look at how the decision was reached. I just wish it was an hour instead of 30 minutes. 

Starting 11 for tonight.

4-4-2

Howard

Johnson. Cameron Besler.Beasley

Zusi jones Bradley bedoya

Altidore Dempsey

Pretty much exactly what I initially wanted to see. Only difference is that Beasley is in, and Omar Gonzalez. It really makes me cringe seeing Beasley in there, and thinking he may be in the lineup during the cup , but I'm going to stay optimistic and hope that he is only there because Gonzalez is still recovering from his knee injury.

Dempsey a last minute scratch.

Pulled groin. So wondo is in.

Miss Landon yet?

Wando could've had two goals in the first 15 minutes if not for GREAT/Lucky keeping :lol:

As for Donovan, as I said, I would take him over Jozy 10 times out of 10 and that was on display again last night.  He works hard one time and wins a ball in midfield (clearly with his upper arm but no call) and then does a great job getting the ball to Bradley in space. 

But whoever was doing color last night lost their mind when they saw this.  "This is why you have to have Jozy for Brazil, plays like this".  Well... it's not... he's a striker and he's supposed to score goals.  He did very little last night.  Compiled with not getting up high enough for a couple of headers, either because he mis-timed the jump or he's still carrying some extra weight from the low fiber English diet he was on at Sundersland :ph34r:

Not a bad game from the US.  They controlled the game for the most part, which they should've.  Had a couple of shakey moments in the back, which I expected.  And we had trouble putting away shots, which I also expected.

The makings of a team that isn't making it out of the groups unless Jurgen decides he wants to put two guys who are actually finishing on the field at the same time.  And that'll be Dempsey (who should be fine), Wando, and Johanson.  Jozy is wasting space.

A programming note that the next instance of the 30 for 30 series following the USMNT will take place on Thursday night. It'll be very interesting to see what they say about Donovan. A little bit of a behind the scenes look at how the decision was reached. I just wish it was an hour instead of 30 minutes. 

How interesting was Jurgen saying "The press think Donovan is invincible" in the last hour installment?

Its not suprising that Jozy looked a million times better when Johansson came on.  Wondo doesnt compliment him (or Anyone really).

Wondo should have had two goals.  He didnt.  Not because the keeper made great saves.  But because Wondo hit balls right at him.  For contrast, Aron nailed his header upper 90.  Wondo hit his center chest at the keeper.

Otherwise, it was an okay performance.   The backline didnt really face anything, so its hard to judge their performance defending.  Chandler looked better than Beasley in the attack, but wont have that luxury in 2 weeks.

If we play a diamond midfield vs Ghana or Portugal, it better be Beckerman and not Jones in the bottom.  Jones strays too far up and will leave empty space.

Archived