Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CONCACAF 2014 World Cup Qualification - Play resumes Sept 6!

renaissance

US hosts Honduras in Sandy, Utah tomorrow night at 9pm. Game will be on ESPN.

Costa Rica hosts Panama at 10pm which will bring all teams even on games played (6 each).

The US will remain at the top of the table with a win, a tie, or a loss + some help tomorrow night.

A US win + Costa Rica loss or tie would put us 4 pts above 2nd place. A US win + Costa Rica win will put us just 2 pts above the Ticos.

USA is in a nice position.  Win tomorrow we remain on top and if Costa Rica loses we get some cushion.  Mexico is looking like crap still which makes me smile (let em sweat).  Be pretty nice to put a sweep on June.  Be interesting come Sept if Mexico is in trouble and needs to get points against us in Columbus.

Best guess is Fabian Johnson slides back to LB and Eddie Johnson plays in the LMF.  But I wouldnt be suprised to see Castillo get the start either.

A win is important because our next two games are going to be brutal.  @ Costa Rica and then VS Mexico.

A win tomorrow puts us in the position to qualify in the next game @ CR.

Best guess is Fabian Johnson slides back to LB and Eddie Johnson plays in the LMF.  But I wouldnt be suprised to see Castillo get the start either.

A win is important because our next two games are going to be brutal.  @ Costa Rica and then VS Mexico.

A win tomorrow puts us in the position to qualify in the next game @ CR.

Not as brutal. CR will be at national stadium.  Saprissa isn't available.  They could pick another stadium but that would require getting FIFA's approval.  Mexico has yet to score at Columbus so until they do I won't worry.  US players know what that game means to US fans, themselves, US history,etc. Mexico will have to truly earn a win there.  Like I said to if Mexico is in troube at that point they may panic and we can take advantage.

Edgar Castillo will start for Demarcus Beasely.  Let's see if he can play average.  Huge chance for him if he plays well, he's been a disappointment up until now.

Would you guys want Eddie Johnson to continue to play or would you like to see Jermaine Jones get his spot back?  I say keep the status quo.  You can bring Jones in late if you need to/(hopefully) want to.

Edgar Castillo will start for Demarcus Beasely.  Let's see if he can play average.  Huge chance for him if he plays well, he's been a disappointment up until now.

Would you guys want Eddie Johnson to continue to play or would you like to see Jermaine Jones get his spot back?  I say keep the status quo.  You can bring Jones in late if you need to/(hopefully) want to.

I'd start Jones.  But would be okay either way.

Credit JK for one thing, he has created OPTIONS all over the pitch.

I'd start Jones.  But would be okay either way.

Credit JK for one thing, he has created OPTIONS all over the pitch.

Tonight should be interesting... even though Beasely is a former mid-fielder, I think Castillo makes it to where we can have 9 forward in the attack if he's on.  We could overwhelm Honduras tonight.  We need the early goal so that they chase and we need to watch out for the counter attack.  The Center Backs have played pretty well the past few games for us.

Honduras has a couple of players out with injury, one out due to YC suspension, and their striker kicked off team for getting upset at benching last time.

Combined with the fact that Honduras historically does very poorly on the road, especially in US, means the US really should get all 3 points.  If that happens and CR draws/wins, the US will be 6 points clear of 4th spot with 4 games to go (one being vs Jamaica at home).  They would all but be through.

Just hope they keep Beckerman planted solidly on bench.

Cameron played the 'Holding' midfield role allowing Bradley to play a more advanced role. I like this set up. I thought Cameron had a very good game and Bradley had a lot on influence over the game. Eddie took Zusi's spot. I prefer a Bradley-Cameron partnership with Zusi on the outside. I like Eddie as a high energy sub who can provide instant offense.

Honduras has a couple of players out with injury, one out due to YC suspension, and their striker kicked off team for getting upset at benching last time.

Combined with the fact that Honduras historically does very poorly on the road, especially in US, means the US really should get all 3 points.  If that happens and CR draws/wins, the US will be 6 points clear of 4th spot with 4 games to go (one being vs Jamaica at home).  They would all but be through.

Just hope they keep Beckerman planted solidly on bench.

I think Beckerman comes in if we get a 2-0 lead.  I can't see Jurgen not letting a RSL starter get on the field in front of his own fans.

#USMNT

Starting XI: 1-Howard; 6-Evans, 3-Gonzalez, 5-Besler, 23-F. Johnson;

4-Bradley, 13-Jones; 19-Zusi, 8-Dempsey ©, 18-E. Johnson; 17-Altidore

Honduras starting Xi:

Noel Valladares

José Velásquez Colón

Juan Pablo Montes

Emilio Izaguirre

Arnold Peralta

Roger Espinoza

Jorge Claros

Andy Najar

Wilson Palacios

Mario Martínez

Carlo Costly

Way to grind out a big win last night!!!!

I have to admit, though, half of me really wanted Andy to score on that breakaway. 

Just FYI, I won't be around to update the OP for the September games, but hopefully I can get boysetsfire to take care of it for me. I'll be back in October when qualifying wraps up :)

Yeah I was rooting for Andy a bit too... soft spot for the kid.

It was impressive that we were able to get one in with the way Hondurus decided to play that one.  Jozy is an absolute beast.  FINALLY!

I have to admit, though, half of me really wanted Andy to score on that breakaway. 

Just FYI, I won't be around to update the OP for the September games, but hopefully I can get boysetsfire to take care of it for me. I'll be back in October when qualifying wraps up :)

Not me. If he doesn't want to play for the USNMT, then I hope he never plays in a World Cup. Could you imagine how much better we would be if he was running down the wing instead of Eddie Johnson? I'm still bitter...

Not me. If he doesn't want to play for the USNMT, then I hope he never plays in a World Cup. Could you imagine how much better we would be if he was running down the wing instead of Eddie Johnson? I'm still bitter...

Exactly, we can't be a world power in soccer unless we learn to hold a grudge. 

I don't see why anyone would be bitter about him though. There was never any chance he was going to choose the US over Honduras. He didn't move here until he was 13 and he was never a US citizen.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have seen him in a US jersey, but it was never going to happen.

Some of the guys from Germany now, have never lived in the US or have very little geographical ties to the US. I don't think any of them think of themselves as American—it's just a way to play in the World Cup. Najar prob won't see as much success with Honduras as he would've with the US.

Archived