Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FedEx Field Nicknames

E33Green

"Way out in PG County?"  It's 8 miles and roughly 15 minutes from RFK.  And it's still inside the beltway.

Yeah that kind of struck me as odd... Kind of like the people who say "Bring the team back to DC" as if the stadium is on the other side of the country or something. Most stadiums are always just on the outskirts or farther from the cities they represent anyway. 

Anyways, no matter where the stadium is, people are going to be traveling "Way out" to see it, because of the size of the fanbase. People should feel fortunate. Imagine being a fan of the Niners/Raiders and you live in SoCal or something

Okay, maybe "way out" in PG County is a little much, but I'm not a big fan of stadiums in the suburbs. One of the things I love about Nationals Stadium and the Verizon Center is that you can step off the Metro and basically be there at the stadium. They're right there *in* the city. Not so much with FedEx.

"Way out in PG County?" It's 8 miles and roughly 15 minutes from RFK. And it's still inside the beltway.

Yeah that kind of struck me as odd... Kind of like the people who say "Bring the team back to DC" as if the stadium is on the other side of the country or something. Most stadiums are always just on the outskirts or farther from the cities they represent anyway.

Anyways, no matter where the stadium is, people are going to be traveling "Way out" to see it, because of the size of the fanbase. People should feel fortunate. Imagine being a fan of the Niners/Raiders and you live in SoCal or something

Okay, maybe "way out" in PG County is a little much, but I'm not a big fan of stadiums in the suburbs. One of the things I love about Nationals Stadium and the Verizon Center is that you can step off the Metro and basically be there at the stadium. They're right there *in* the city. Not so much with FedEx.

It used to be that stadiums moved out of the city because the "suburbanites" had all the money. Then, in the mid 90s when they started moving back into the cities, the Redskins moved out. They found that having things around the stadiums helped also.

"Way out in PG County?" It's 8 miles and roughly 15 minutes from RFK. And it's still inside the beltway.

It used to be that stadiums moved out of the city because the "suburbanites" had all the money. Then, in the mid 90s when they started moving back into the cities, the Redskins moved out. They found that having things around the stadiums helped also.

I hope the same thing happens for the Redskins in the coming decades. I don't have anything against FedEx really, I just like the idea of the Redskins playing in the city they represent. Washington is a special case since you can't really build a football stadium in the heart of the city like you can in other cities. I'm not even sure where they'd put the team exactly.  Maybe the part of town where RFK Stadium is will be a little nicer by the time the lease at FedEx is up and they can build a new stadium there.

how about Snyder's folly or Danny's cash cow of what i've  heard it not far from the truth

Where did you hear that?   Can you elaborate?     

The Redskins are the 3rd most valuable NFL franchise, and the 8th most valuable franchise on the planet. 

The stadium is a money-making machine.  

how about Snyder's folly or Danny's cash cow of what i've  heard it not far from the truth

Don't know what you've "heard" but as a STH for the last 7 years the improvements I've seem Dan Snyder make to the stadium over the years have greatly improved it over what he inherited when he bought the team.

• 1 month later...

What happened to the days of RFK Stadium, Riverfront, Three Rivers, Mile High, Candlestick Park, and all the others?

Advertisements are the name of the game today; corporations just gotta get their name on the stadiums. The newer fans would be absolutely lost if there was a flashback with Brent Musburger and his "You Are Looking Live" bit.

For awhile, "MoneyPit" would have fit perfectly, with players looking for a paycheck.

I miss RFK... :(

Archived