Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Not going overboard is a good point. Relying on winning close games can be like a hot shooting streak, you look great until the shots stop falling. The Wizards are showing growth but they are also showing that they have a ways to go. Contenders find a way to play winning ball for most of the game and win a lot of games fairly easily. We need that to beat better teams, because we can't play bad eastern teams forever.

To be fair I don't think this team has the horses to be that yet. We lack a big time scorer to pair with Wall and Nene's scoring decline hasn't helped. The hope is that Beal will be that, but he's still very young and hasn't hit his third year leap. He certainly has the skills, and I think he's destined to be a 20ppg player so long as he's in a good offense or playing with a great PG. He just needs time.

I don't need this team to be a championship contender this year to be happy though. I'm a very happy fan.

I agree with this. But a critical measure of being a good team that wins 50+ (and wins in the postseason) is winning close games. Every team goes through stretches where their offense isn't clicking. Every team has to deal with injuries to important players that throw off what they do. Being able to win the close ones far more often than you lose them is essential to getting that gaudy win % and a high seed.

That's where I think this team really stands out from last year's. We competed hard in almost all of the games but we lost the close ones much more often than not. Our OT record last season really demonstrates this. Now we're winning the close ones a lot more than we lose them and 15-6 is the result. That's a real mark of progress, and I think it also bodes well for our chances in the playoffs.

Knowing how to win the close ones also separates us from the Bostons and Orlandos and Milwaukees of the conference. Look at those teams, they actually have comparable talent to us. Lots of good young players, but they don't really know how to win yet.

You are right about consistency being key though. Consistent effort and execution is necessary to get to 50+ or even 60+ win totals. I think we're finally getting consistent effort out of the team now. Consistent execution will come in time. We're still very reliant on Wall and Beal, who are young, and Nene, who is hurt a lot. We're still trying to work in new pieces. You look at the Spurs and Mavs and see a core that has been playing together forever. Hell Portland, GS, and Memphis have been using the same basic core for years now. We'll get there so long as we just keep the band together for long enough.

same with me

im just happy that I have belief they will win a game. I only had that one time, and that was when Gil was the hottest player in the league in 2007.

Just that feeling of dread leaving me is enough for me as a Wizards fan.

Even with Gil being on top of the world for a minute, I never once considered the Wizards to be true contenders to come out of the East. You could see their ceiling. 

We have a ways to go with this current squad, but put it this way....IF they can keep their health, I love their chances.  There is such a dynamic mix of youth and veterans, on top of it all, some cap flexibility going forward, to make this team one that can potenially become something special in the East for a LONG time. 

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 1

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/martell-webster-settles-timetable-season-debut

Martell Webster settles on timetable for season debut

Martell Webster fully practiced for the first time since last season Thursday, and according to a person with knowledge of the situation, he plans on being back on the court for game action "in a week-and-a-half."

The Wizards (15-6) play Friday vs. the Los Angeles Clippers, and that timeline would put Webster back on the court somewhere between Dec. 21 vs. the Phoenix Suns or Dec. 23 vs. the Chicago Bulls at Verizon Center and Christmas Day when they play at the New York Knicks. 

Even though Webster practiced fully, this wasn't a typical session as the Wizards, who'd just returned for beating the Orlando Magic on Wednesday as they didn't do any 5-on-5 drills. Webster has been working out and doing individual drills after practice. 

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 2

Even with Gil being on top of the world for a minute, I never once considered the Wizards to be true contenders to come out of the East. You could see their ceiling.

We have a ways to go with this current squad, but put it this way....IF they can keep their health, I love their chances. There is such a dynamic mix of youth and veterans, on top of it all, some cap flexibility going forward, to make this team one that can potenially become something special in the East for a LONG time.

What I wonder, is bringing KD home our only legitimate shot at a title? What's our ceiling without him? What's a realistic backup plan? The ceiling?

I honestly think it's happening but who the **** knows. So just thinking a lot of where we're heading with this, with AND without him. Where we're going to be three, four years from now

What I wonder, is bringing KD home our only legitimate shot at a title? What's our ceiling without him? What's a realistic backup plan? The ceiling?

I honestly think it's happening but who the **** knows. So just thinking a lot of where we're heading with this, with AND without him. Where we're going to be three, four years from now

One thing about KD2DC that I don't think has really been discussed: KD would be the sidekick if he came here.

It's kind of an awkward scenario for him. This is Wall's team through and through. By that point Wall and Beal will be even more established/entrenched too.

The situation isn't necessarily comparable to Miami with DWade being forced to take the back seat when LeBron showed up. John is younger than Durant and KD has played a ton more career minutes than John.

In my heart of heats, I think KD and Westbrook will stay in OKC. It's a good situation where they share leadership well and they win together.

As for a back up plan, I think John and Brad assure that we're going to be in pretty good shape moving forward no matter what. Otto will eventually come into his own. Gortat should have a lot of good basketball left. We've got a good foundation so that all we really need to maintain a winner is to score hits with our personnel moves to acquire role players.

But if we want to use our cap savings in 2016 to start spending big to acquire either a really expensive elite role player or another AS caliber piece, then I think PF is the way to go. Someone who is a defender or someone who is a shooter.

But if we want to use our cap savings in 2016 to start spending big to acquire either a really expensive elite role player or another AS caliber piece, then I think PF is the way to go. Someone who is a defender or someone who is a shooter.

Agree with all except KD not coming here. I think it's a lock. But if not...

One name I always see thrown our way on other NBA boards around the Internets is Greg Monroe. Maybe it's just me but no thank you. I appreciate his local connections but does absolutely nothing for me.

Another name I've seen mentioned damn near from the start, on here, maybe even from you, is Cousins. If Durant doesn't happen, if there needs to be a backup plan, it's him?

I feel like I'm having a brain fart on someone...

tee_pic_2.jpg

Beats the **** out of the Agent Zero tee I got around here somewhere

Man I need to find that...

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Dagger tshirt picture

I was hoping to see a cartoon rendition of a red faced crazy Buck pumping his fist. I'd buy that. (I'll probably buy that dagger t shirt too.)

My idea would be more awesome though, anyone on here a cartoonist? I need some art work!

Edited by Destino

Wondering what's in store for Butler. (?)

This past game was one where we could've used Webster. Butler, Pierce, Beal, and Porter were all pretty lackluster offensively. With another shooter in the lineup, it'll be almost impossible not to have at least one wing player shoot well on a given night.

To answer your question, I say go with whomever shoots well on a given night. We have a deep enough team that we don't necessarily have to ride it out with a wing player who is shooting poorly.

• Like 1

Agree with all except KD not coming here. I think it's a lock. But if not...

One name I always see thrown our way on other NBA boards around the Internets is Greg Monroe. Maybe it's just me but no thank you. I appreciate his local connections but does absolutely nothing for me.

Another name I've seen mentioned damn near from the start, on here, maybe even from you, is Cousins. If Durant doesn't happen, if there needs to be a backup plan, it's him?

I feel like I'm having a brain fart on someone...

I would love to get Cousins but he's signed through the summer of 2018. We'd have to trade for him, and we don't have the assets I'd be willing to give up to get him.

I like Greg Monroe, but the price needs to be right. He doesn't play good defense with consistency and that should limit a big man's cost. His numbers have also gotten worse each year since his second season. That's also not a

But he is a solid starting big man with the body to play either PF or C and a versatile offensive game. He can score inside and he's got decent range on his jumper. He's a good passer too. Pretty good on the defensive glass. And he's been extremely durable.

He's been in a terrible situation in Detroit the past three seasons. But the weaknesses in his game would limit his value anywhere. 8 or 9 million a year is fair value for him. But with the salary cap set to go up and the big man tax paid (especially for a young one who has been healthy his whole career), I think he'll get at least ~12 million per year. Marcin Gortat money. Gortat is probably better. Definitely a better defensive player.

I can't think of any other true big names off the top of my head either. Dirk will retire in Dallas. Aldridge is winning in Portland.

If Detroit is willing to trade Josh Smith off for peanuts, I'd consider him. He'd need to understand he's a fifth option in any of our lineups. But he'd be the athletic defender we could use at the PF spot. He's a decent passer too. And he's a decent rebounder for his size. He's an absolutely awful, awful fit in Detroit. We'd get better play from him.

Who I would really like to have is Al Horford. He's as big an injury risk as Nene, but he's a terrific player. Excellent all around offensive skills for a big. Terrific defensive rebounder and also surprisingly good on the offensive glass. Very high BBIQ. Good defensive player.

He's having a down season from an individual standpoint. Usage rate has steadily dropped. Minutes have dropped. Rebounding %s have dropped. He's declining. But he's still an excellent and valuable player. I think he could be a bargain buy on his next deal.

• Like 1

I know it would not be logical to release Butler because he is playing amazing. It's just that on BF for up until a few weeks ago Butler was going to be the obvious person to release because of I guess the money or something since all contracts are guranteed or something maybe you woulden't want to release a player who is making more money because thats dead money? Idk I honestly don't understand the way the cap works in the NBA its way more complex than the NFL

Temp would be my choice that man is garbage the problem is that we are so thin in back court depth. Idk if I can even say Temp is "depth" I dont think he is even worthy of that term he is so bad

Yea I'd be on the release temple side of things, backcourt depth might be a little thin but I agree that Temple would likely still be there if we need him. Getting rid of blair would be premature and Gooden can be productive in limited minutes and provide high energy should an injury happen or if he just happens to be getting more minutes that particular night.