Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:Drop ‘Redskins’ name? Time to take a stand. (By Robert McCartney)

RFKFedEx

We should fight for it because it is not derogatory.

Perhaps PETA will start complaining about the name Eagles and their mascot.

But these threads get old.

I'm personally offended by the term Cowboys. I have a very small amount of Native American blood... And the Cowboys slaughtered many Natives. I find the name to be classless and tasteless. It should be changed.

And Bears? Yogi and Booboo ate many people's lunches. How offensive?

Chargers? It's offensive to people who have been struck by lightning.

Patriots? Look at their logo! The guy is ridiculously ugly and I don't appreciate them painting all Americans as being as ugly as him.

Jets? Airplanes can crash. Offensive.

Giants? Derogatory. I prefer to call them "People who are tall".

Apparently since the team doesn't suck anymore the best way for The Post to annoy Dan Snyder is to go after the name.

I say we keep the name and just ditch the logo. Make the helmet plain Burgundy. Then we can say the name doesn't mean anything. Like the Browns or the Reds.

This won't go away until all Native references are dropped. Compromises will not work bc names like Warriors, Braves, etc. will forever be linked to Redskins. Images like the spears, feathers, arrows, headdresses, all have to go as well if we ever want this to end.

This won't go away until all Native references are dropped. Compromises will not work bc names like Warriors, Braves, etc. will forever be linked to Redskins. Images like the spears, feathers, arrows, headdresses, all have to go as well if we ever want this to end.

Its going to be Warriors one day...and that wouldn't be a compromise. That would be a win for the PC.

Fine by me.

It's not like i have to read their paper.

Let them scream til they cry themselves to sleep.

~Bang

Fine by me.

~Bang

Wouldn't that be dandy.

Sigh...this topic has been the basis of so many threads, can we merge this with the other million threads about our racist team name?

We need to get off this merry-go-round.

Amusing how every single time this gets hauled out and re-re-reposted, someone wants to act like it's fresh, a new look at it and deserves re-re-rediscussion until everyone gives up in exhaustion and just submits to the PCedness of it all.

It's simply not an issue, there is no controversy, other than a scant handful of people trying to milk this for their own ends it's not on anyones radar.

KDawg, I am one of the less than 1% of Native Americans in this Country...very few people are actually offended by it. Not one person in my family is offended by the team name Redskins. My baby sister (in her 20's) is a Titans fan, my other sister is a Falcons fan (I think), my brother is a Packers fan, my Mom just goes with the flow and roots against the Cowboys. Hell, my grandparents are Bills fans and live probably pretty close to you.

Henry, I don't get why the logo is offensive...more offensive than a black guy rocking a traditional headdress ? He is beloved by everyone that has ever met him ( Love you Zee).

RFK, Why lose those references ? Are we not taught to learn from history anymore ? This is not the same as confederate army references, nazi references, etc.

Even outside of my family the other NA's that I know are proud to be remembered and represented. Braves, Blackhawks, Redskins, Indians, etc. They may not be fans of the teams, but they are not in the least way offended.

Take a stand then.

dont post on a racist teams website and certainly dont cheer for them.

I see your name is RFK FEDEX - the RFK is for the stadium named to HONOR of a fallen Senator.

And I really think real American Indians have ALLOT more to worry about than this silly stuff.

Fine by me.

~Bang

Wouldn't that be dandy.

Sigh...this topic has been the basis of so many threads, can we merge this with the other million threads about our racist team name?

We need to get off this merry-go-round.

Is there an echo in here?

---------- Post added February-7th-2013 at 09:50 AM ----------

Obama's birth certificate keeps coming up.

That doesn't mean it's a controversy. And it certainly doesn't mean that Obama should do what the Birthers want.

I take it you still are not convinced Obama was born in Kenya?

Doesn't look like anyone clicked the link. Its being brought up again in part because the National Museum of the American Indian is doing a lecture on the topic below. The Post's very own UnWise Mike (naturally) will be involved. Perhaps those of you with a dog in this fight should go and tell them that its not offensive and that they should shut up already. What could go wrong?

http://nmai.si.edu/connect/symposia/#/?i=1

Thursday, February 7, 2013, 10:15 AM – 5:45 PM

Racist Stereotypes and Cultural Appropriation in American Sports

DgDOl9EzAW3dQ4BrrE5AqSry.jpg

Join sports writers, scholars, authors, and representatives from sports organizations for lively panel discussions on racist stereotypes and cultural appropriation in American sports.

Explore the mythology and psychology of sports stereotypes and mascots, and examine the retirement of “Native American” sports references and collegiate efforts to revive them despite the NCAA’s policy against “hostile and abusive” nicknames and symbols.

End the afternoon with a spirited community conversation about the name and logo of the Washington, D.C. professional football team, with sports writers from the Washington Post and USA Today, along with eminent members of the D.C. community. Reception to follow immediately.

I personally don't care if they change the name or not. Still my city, still my team. The switch to "wizards" couldn't chase me away (not to mention the years of fail) from that franchise so I'm not too worried about it. Until then ill still be rockin my beat up redskin hat that I refuse to throw away.

Here is the info on the Redskins discussion:

A Community Conversation About the Washington NFL Team Name

3:45 p.m.

Dr. Philip J. Deloria, Moderator. Author, Playing Indian and Indians in Unexpected Places; Professor, History and American Studies, and Associate Dean, Undergraduate Education, College of Literature, Science and the Arts, University of Michigan

Hon. Judith Bartnoff, Esq., Deputy Presiding Judge, Civil Division, District of Columbia Superior Court

Mr. Erik Brady, Sports Reporter, USA Today

Rev. Graylan Hagler, Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ, and Immediate Past President, Ministers for Racial, Social and Economic Justice

Mr. Robert I. Holden, Deputy Director, National Congress of American Indians

Mr. UnWise Mike, Sports Columnist, The Washington Post

If someone decides to go and argue that they should quit their whining let us all know. That's popcorn worthy. :)

Then we will forever be afflicted by journalists looking for a bump, college students with a cause, and people easily bruised by the world around them. I can live with that.

KDawg, I am one of the less than 1% of Native Americans in this Country...very few people are actually offended by it. Not one person in my family is offended by the team name Redskins. My baby sister (in her 20's) is a Titans fan, my other sister is a Falcons fan (I think), my brother is a Packers fan, my Mom just goes with the flow and roots against the Cowboys. Hell, my grandparents are Bills fans and live probably pretty close to you.

Yup. I know. But people need something to be up in arms about and this topic is an easy one.

The name is fine. The term "Redskin" might have been derogatory in the past, I can't argue that. However, words evolve. Most kids, if they followed sports... If asked what a Redskin was they'd probably think it was the football team and not anything racist whatsoever. People hang on to it because it used to be offensive.

The Indians Logo is far more offensive than the Redskins name (look up how the Nazi caricatures of Jews from WWII -- shockingly similar), yet receives .01% of the press.

All of these articles fail to address the two main counter arguements: The Annenberg study from about 8-9 years ago that found 90% of Native Americans didn't care and the Red Mesa Az. HS that changed it's name TO Redskins b/c they felt it honored Native Americans.

This is getting so old.

Doesn't look like anyone clicked the link. Its being brought up again in part because the National Museum of the American Indian is doing a lecture on the topic below. The Post's very own UnWise Mike (naturally) will be involved. Perhaps those of you with a dog in this fight should go and tell them that its not offensive and that they should shut up already. What could go wrong?

http://nmai.si.edu/connect/symposia/#/?i=1

I personally don't care if they change the name or not. Still my city, still my team. The switch to "wizards" couldn't chase me away (not to mention the years of fail) from that franchise so I'm not too worried about it. Until then ill still be rockin my beat up redskin hat that I refuse to throw away.

Here is the info on the Redskins discussion:

If someone decides to go and argue that they should quit their whining let us all know. That's popcorn worthy. :)

Will they be bringing up the Buffalo Bills?

If they do, let me know,, i will dutifully fall out of my chair from the shock.

~Bang

Archived