Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:Drop ‘Redskins’ name? Time to take a stand. (By Robert McCartney)

RFKFedEx

The only way a name change occurs is if the government or NFL forces a change or it becomes financially beneficial to Danny to make a name chnage.

It'll become financially beneficial eventually. In general society is moving towards a more racially sensitive place, not less. Eventually having a racial slur for a nickname is going to become a big enough liability and be bad enough for the brand that a change will be the obvious fix.

Wow...so much bull**** in that article. I especially like the ridiculous army analogy.

As a former Marine who got married in my dress blues, I would agree. If there were some team named the Marines and some mascot wore the uniform, I'd feel honored, not disrespected.

Dumb analogy.

We had a big article in our paper yesterday how the Smithsonian declared the name racist and some guy wearing his Redskins stuff changed his mind, took it off and said he agreed that it was indeed racist.It's funny too, seems like the "white" people are pushing it more now than anyone.

Also on Jeopardy the other night they referenced a Mascot name "Indians" for a High School in this Wyoming city...Cheyenne. I turned to my wife and said "I give it 2 weeks and someone will be after Central (the said high school) to change their name. It'll happen.

Seriously, I think it's time we put a boycott on the Washington Post. No more making threads about their articles or linking to their articles, and get the word out that their agenda against the Redskins is blatantly obvious, that they are here to rip apart the team in any way they can. It's not like we'd be missing much from them anyways as their sports reporters on the whole are terrible anyways.

Seriously, I think it's time we put a boycott on the Washington Post. No more making threads about their articles or linking to their articles, and get the word out that their agenda against the Redskins is blatantly obvious, that they are here to rip apart the team in any way they can. It's not like we'd be missing much from them anyways as their sports reporters on the whole are terrible anyways.

haha i wrote that to Steinberg that it was their agenda since they had their tickets revoked from the redskins and he keeps pouting that the writers weren't involved.

Ladies and gentlemen, I humbly present to you: The greatest lengths to which anyone has ever gone to be offended.

The team’s lawyers, defending the brand in federal trademark court, argue that the name was originally chosen in the 1930s to honor positive traits of Native Americans.

That might be so, but it’s certainly become a problem today, according to Kevin Gover, director of the American Indian museum. “It’s stereotyping to use Indians that way. They’ll say, ‘Indians are brave, strong and steadfast.’ We want to say Indians are also smart and pious and generous. If you honor us only for those [other] qualities, then you’re basically saying that’s all we’ve got,” he said.

Holy. ****.

This guy must be super fun to talk to at parties.

"Kate, you just earned your Ph.D, right? Come over here and meet Kevin, he's a really smart guy himself."

"Wow, man. Wow. I can't believe you would say that to me. I thought we were friends."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Well, you only said I'm smart. You didn't meticulously list every single positive thing you think about me, so the obvious conclusion I came to is that you think I have no other redeeming qualities."

Oh, look. It's time for our annual "it's the offseason, lets try to manufacture a controversy" article.

Look at what you have done RFKFedEx!!!!

If I agree with Larry too much I might become a Honorary "libral." :)

http://atyourlibrary.org/sports/native-american-and-other-symbolic-mascots-can-divide-communities

The question of a nickname for athletic teams arose in 1947 as the Florida State College for Women went co-ed to become Florida State University. Students voted overwhelmingly for "Seminoles" over alternatives such as "Statesmen" and "Crackers."

The first human figures seen at games were a gymnastic, back-bending Sammy Seminole (1958–1972) and, briefly and unofficially, a fraternity-house character named Chief Fullabull.

---------- Post added February-10th-2013 at 12:28 PM ----------

The only way a name change occurs is if the government or NFL forces a change or it becomes financially beneficial to Danny to make a name chnage.

If the Government forces a name change. I say go with something really offensive like the Washington 1%ers 0511-1001-1706-0228_Rich_Guy_Sitting_on_a_Pile_of_Money_clipart_image.jpg It's divisive because Bleeding Hearts, Faux Outrage types, and the Sniveling Demographic will feel the mascot is not inclusive and predominantly male and white.

• 11 months later...
two thoughts:

1) I'm not watching it

2) this should've gone in the active name change thread (pretty sure it's on the front page), not bump this one

edit: yup, front page. About ten threads down

http://es.redskins.com/topic/365985-the-official-es-redskins-name-change-thread-all-things-related-to-changing-the-teams-name-go-here/

Archived