Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Garcon situation shaping up to be Coles 2.0?

NoCalMike

I remember when the team signed Coles. Many thought he was overpaid and not really a true #1 WR. Then he goes out and has some good games to start out his 'Skins tenure, and everything is A-OK, critics are silenced for a short time.

Then he gets the toe injury, which is kind of similar to the current situation with Garcon, where it is an injury that you can technically play while having, but it will take away a portion of the player's ability.

That leads to a lose-lose situation, where the player has to make a choice to try and "rest it out" or "play at 60%" or Get season ending surgery to truly fix the problem.

Well, the situation with Coles turned ugly, he didn't want to get the surgery, felt the organization was putting too much pressure on him, and he was never the same player for the 'Skins before eventually going back to the Jets and magically becoming a solid WR again.

Now the present day, a lot of similarities with Garcon, when he was signed, most thought he was paid way to much, and not a true #1 WR....he has that huge explose play in Week 1, and everyone is suddenly willing to say he is THAT good now. And the rest you know....(so far)

So the question is:

Have we seen enough from Garcon to assume he truly is a #1 WR and will perform like one upon his return.

How does the organization get this problem resolved in the quickest and most efficient way possible? At 3-6, if the 'Skins lose another game they are pretty much out of it, does Garcon at that point immediately get the surgery?

Does this have the potential for being another Toverneous Coles situation, and if so, how do we avoid it?

Does this have the potential for being another Toverneous Coles situation, and if so, how do we avoid it?

For me, if he can't play against the Eagles, then he ought to just be placed on injured reserve and get the surgery. Then he should come back 100% healthy and ready to rock next season. If that should happen, there is no reason to think at that point he has more chance of being re-injured than anybody else does.

and Garcon when healthy is better than Coles ever was.

I'm still unconvinced Garcon is that great, in any case I think he's overpaid and that money could have been better served getting DBs.

I agree with Painkiller though that if Garcon can't go after the bye, might as well just have him sit out the rest of the season and get healthy and (hopefully) do damage next year.

Not yet. Laron Landry was Laverneous Coles 2.0. Note that both Coles and Landry played very well after leaving the Skins with their chronic injuries. Garcon got injuried shortly after signing a new guaranteed contract so he has no incentive to put off surgery with its associated risks.

I've said before that until Garçon plays more than 5 quarters, we cannot say he's a real #1 receiver. I think ppl are letting that 88 yarder get the best of them. He is solid and I love his physicality though

Oh and I legit always forget he plays on this team until somebody brings him up on ES

---------- Post added November-11th-2012 at 09:21 PM ----------

Also, I'm pretty sure he'll be on IR soon enough

Sure, he may as well go on IR today and get it over with; but at the same time, he should re-structure his contract, being him got a wittle bo-bo and hasn't done anything since.

I agree with the above poster; IMO, Garcon wasn't worth the amount of money he got. He was a product of a very gifted QB in Manning,who had some other guys named, oh, what were they; OH, Harrison,Clark, Wayne. Teams had to double up on these guys which freed up Garcon alot, which made him better than he really was.

Put Davis, Armstrong, Moss, etc, in Manning's Colts team and see how they put up good numbers.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer on the guy, but until I see him producing on a regular basis, I gotta call him a ''product of his environment''...

**being him got a wittle bo-bo and hasn't done anything since.

**He was a product of a very gifted QB in Manning,who had some other guys named, oh, what were they; OH, Harrison,Clark, Wayne. Teams had to double up on these guys which freed up Garcon alot, which made him better than he really was.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer on the guy

Not trying to pick a fight....however....you sure are doing a piss poor job of not being a "debbie downer" on the guy. You stated he has a "boo boo" (sarcasm noted) and his success was virtue of everyone else around him being good.

I think it's obvious what you think.

Sure, he may as well go on IR today and get it over with; but at the same time, he should re-structure his contract, being him got a wittle bo-bo and hasn't done anything since.

I agree with the above poster; IMO, Garcon wasn't worth the amount of money he got. He was a product of a very gifted QB in Manning,who had some other guys named, oh, what were they; OH, Harrison,Clark, Wayne. Teams had to double up on these guys which freed up Garcon alot, which made him better than he really was.

Put Davis, Armstrong, Moss, etc, in Manning's Colts team and see how they put up good numbers.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer on the guy, but until I see him producing on a regular basis, I gotta call him a ''product of his environment''...

Garcon's best season as a pro came with Painter, Orlovsky, and Collins throwing the ball.

Why is it that people react with horror to knee injuries and take foot injuries so lightly. Knees blow out and are fixed in every sport every year, routinely. Foot injuries on the other hand end careers or take forever to heal, in every sport every year. They always start out as minor until they aren't.

At his best I think he is capable if being a number one WR. Problem is 9 games in and to this point he has been a bust. I have said for weeks he does not play again this season and that looks more likely.

Hopefully he get better and is ready to go this year or next, but in a year where we had limited money to soend we paid him (at his best) too much. God knows we need a number 1 WR as it does not appear any one else is ready or capable if stepping into that role.

Get well PG, I expect pro bowl next year and we need you.

I agree with Painkiller though that if Garcon can't go after the bye, might as well just have him sit out the rest of the season and get healthy and (hopefully) do damage next year]

I completely disagree. If he can't go this year cut him flat out. We can use the money on quality FA's to help our defense. I am sick and tired of this team wasting time and money on worthless players (see Jamal Brown and Tanard Jackson).

If we have turned the corner as a franchise, getting rid of Garcon would be a positive statement. You can't help the team? Go somewhere else.

I completely disagree. If he can't go this year cut him flat out. We can use the money on quality FA's to help our defense. I am sick and tired of this team wasting time and money on worthless players (see Jamal Brown and Tanard Jackson).

If we have turned the corner as a franchise, getting rid of Garcon would be a positive statement. You can't help the team? Go somewhere else.

Whoa dere man...

Now that's a knee jerk reaction lol

Yeah! Screw that guy for getting hurt! What the hell does he think he is!? HUMAN! HA!

EVERYONE KNOWS THAT MONEY MAKES YOU SUPERHUMAN! I saw it once on that episode of South Park where Cartman gives Kyle AIDS and everyone knows South Park never lies!

Archived