Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All thoughts are not threads: Jaws on RGIII, your opinion

Teller

I was listening to Mike & Mike on my way to work this morning, as I usually do. They had Ron Jaworski on, talking about his quarterback rankings RIGHT NOW. Not who's the best QB in the NFL, but which guys are playing the best football at this moment.

He had RGIII at #17, and felt like that was generous, "nearly putting him in the top half of the league."

I couldn't help but give that an out-loud "WTF?" I understand that RGIII isn't a top-5 quarterback in this league...yet. But IMHO, he's certainly playing like it right now.

He's #4 in QBR, 16th in rushing, led the game-winning drive last week without the speaker in his helmet, has thrown ONE interception, and has completely changed the culture of this team.

My question to you is simple. Where do you put our rookie signal-caller among NFL quarterbacks, based on his play at this moment? I say #5, at worst.

HAIL.

:helmet:

I'd say that he is the #1 QB so far on this team....

But Cousins has a Ton of potential.....

Maybe if Roberts stock gets real high we could re-coup a couple 3rd rounders or maybe even a 2nd rounder to make up for those 1sts we traded away.......

It so comforting that we have a proven Super BOwl Winning QB waiting in the wings in case the rookie stumbles in the form of Rex.

If Rex were starting JAWS would probably rank him higher.

I kid, I kid..... : )

He needs to be able to throw pinpoint into single coverage with pressure in his face, esp. on third downs. He is being cautious right now to avoid drive killing interceptions. It will come with more reps, esp. with Garcon and Davis. Hank still needs to get more aggressive fighting for the ball to earn his QB's confidence. But as the WRs evolve and RG3 feels more comfortable making risky throws, he will move up the ranks.

He's doing some amazing things for sure. But as a pure passer, in my book he's not Top 10 yet.

to kinda quote the article on nfl.com about his headset going out...

Defenses can't stop RGIII. Neither can faulty technology. We're the happiest 2-2 team in the league.

I love that and he's definitely performing. Of course, I rank him #1...he's my quarterback, and I'm a little biased.:adoration

I was listening to Mike & Mike on my way to work this morning, as I usually do. They had Ron Jaworski on, talking about his quarterback rankings RIGHT NOW. Not who's the best QB in the NFL, but which guys are playing the best football at this moment.

He had RGIII at #17, and felt like that was generous, "nearly putting him in the top half of the league."

I couldn't help but give that an out-loud "WTF?" I understand that RGIII isn't a top-5 quarterback in this league...yet. But IMHO, he's certainly playing like it right now.

He's #4 in QBR, 16th in rushing, led the game-winning drive last week without the speaker in his helmet, has thrown ONE interception, and has completely changed the culture of this team.

My question to you is simple. Where do you put our rookie signal-caller among NFL quarterbacks, based on his play at this moment? I say #5, at worst.

HAIL.

:helmet:

...and he's #11 in ESPN's QBR. For whatever that's worth.

Yeah, like pjfootballer said. Top 10 but not top 5 is about right. 17 is insane. And certainly not generous. It's on ESPN insider, if anyone wants to post it. FWIW, his explanation, before getting into the rankings themselves. Sounds to me like this is NOT just how they have played this season. But also takes historical performance into account

Four games may not seem like much of a sample, but in the reality of the 16-game NFL, it is a key number. Not only does that represent the quarter pole for the season, but when teams break down film to prep for upcoming games, they scrutinize their opponents' previous four games. It's a rubric I've followed in my career and as an analyst, and I'm going to use it to help guide my QB Big Board.

This ranking is not an end-all-be-all, permanent evaluation. Guys will improve -- and regress -- and that movement will be represented on this ranking every four weeks. What this QB Big Board does is combine a quarterback's historical performance with how he is playing at a certain time of the season to form a ranking of the NFL's top quarterbacks at that moment.

There are a few changes to my previous list, including how I generated it. Last offseason, I watched every throw of every NFL quarterback from 2011 to generate my initial rankings. Due to time constraints, I can't make that same claim now. Rest assured, though, that this list is the product of regular film study from the NFL Films offices each week.

Previously I omitted all of the rookies from the preseason rankings, because you can't properly evaluate where they fit when they've never thrown a pass against an NFL defense. Now that we've seen a sample of their talents -- albeit a small one -- I've added them to the mix. And let's just say it's an impressive debut for Robert Griffin III.

RG3 makes his debut at No. 17, meaning he's just outside the top half of NFL quarterbacks. Honestly, I never thought I'd rank a rookie this high. The trouble is, Griffin has not played like a rookie. What separates him from his first-year peers is his consistency. Andrew Luck and Ryan Tannehill have made some great plays in their young careers, but they've also made some bad ones. I haven't seen that erratic play when it comes to Griffin, hence his extraordinary debut ranking.

Erratic play has plagued a couple of veterans, which is why Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Cassel and Jay Cutler are among the biggest drops on my board. Protecting the football is the most important thing you can do as a quarterback. If you lose the turnover battle by one or more, you lose the game 80 percent of the time. It's as simple as that. And it's one thing to make bad reads and bad decisions as a rookie. But at this point in their careers, those three have no excuse.

But there is better news for a few others. And even if Aaron Rodgers has not looked as dominant as he did during his fantastic 2011 campaign, he remains at the top of my rankings. Let's get into some details.

It's not solely based on the 4 game sample size. It's his updated rankings from the preseason. RG3 is the highest rookie ranked. He's even ranked higher than Cam (who is 18). I don't agree w/ all of them, but I think the rankings are fair:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8449388/nfl-jaws-qb-rankings-robert-griffin-iii-soars-mark-sanchez-scuffles

Updated NFL QB rankings

RG3's astonishing debut, Sanchez's setbacks highlight a new list

Originally Published: October 4, 2012

By Ron Jaworski | ESPN Insider

EMAIL

Four games may not seem like much of a sample, but in the reality of the 16-game NFL, it is a key number. Not only does that represent the quarter pole for the season, but when teams break down film to prep for upcoming games, they scrutinize their opponents' previous four games. It's a rubric I've followed in my career and as an analyst, and I'm going to use it to help guide my QB Big Board.

This ranking is not an end-all-be-all, permanent evaluation. Guys will improve -- and regress -- and that movement will be represented on this ranking every four weeks. What this QB Big Board does is combine a quarterback's historical performance with how he is playing at a certain time of the season to form a ranking of the NFL's top quarterbacks at that moment.

There are a few changes to my previous list, including how I generated it. Last offseason, I watched every throw of every NFL quarterback from 2011 to generate my initial rankings. Due to time constraints, I can't make that same claim now. Rest assured, though, that this list is the product of regular film study from the NFL Films offices each week.

Previously I omitted all of the rookies from the preseason rankings, because you can't properly evaluate where they fit when they've never thrown a pass against an NFL defense. Now that we've seen a sample of their talents -- albeit a small one -- I've added them to the mix. And let's just say it's an impressive debut for Robert Griffin III.

RG3 makes his debut at No. 17, meaning he's just outside the top half of NFL quarterbacks. Honestly, I never thought I'd rank a rookie this high. The trouble is, Griffin has not played like a rookie. What separates him from his first-year peers is his consistency. Andrew Luck and Ryan Tannehill have made some great plays in their young careers, but they've also made some bad ones. I haven't seen that erratic play when it comes to Griffin, hence his extraordinary debut ranking.

Erratic play has plagued a couple of veterans, which is why Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Cassel and Jay Cutler are among the biggest drops on my board. Protecting the football is the most important thing you can do as a quarterback. If you lose the turnover battle by one or more, you lose the game 80 percent of the time. It's as simple as that. And it's one thing to make bad reads and bad decisions as a rookie. But at this point in their careers, those three have no excuse.

But there is better news for a few others. And even if Aaron Rodgers has not looked as dominant as he did during his fantastic 2011 campaign, he remains at the top of my rankings. Let's get into some details.

Jaws' QB Rankings

1. Aaron Rodgers

Previous: 1

Rodgers is still playing at a high level, but against the Seahawks he got beaten up pretty good and became a little frenetic in the pocket. His biggest problem has been his offensive line, which has failed to give him much protection. Add the injury to Greg Jennings, and Rodgers has been a little shorthanded early. The Packers need to tighten the line and get healthy. I also think they need to get more from TE Jermichael Finley, who has not yet played to his potential.

2 . Tom Brady

Previous: 3

Not surprisingly, Brady remains near the top of the list and even moves up a slot. I really like what the Pats are doing with the ball this season, committing to the run and bringing more balance to the offense. This emphasis will help reduce the hits on Brady and extend his longevity in the league. I think what we saw in Week 4 against Buffalo is a good indicator of what we'll see going forward. They'll accentuate the run, use more three tight-end sets, then take some shots using play-action or spread you out. And when you see a game in which two running backs and two receivers both top 100 yards, you know Brady is using all of his weapons.

17. Robert Griffin III

Previous: NR - Rookie

To illustrate how un-rookie-like Griffin has been, just consider that RG3 likely would have a pair of game-winning drives under his belt if it weren't for Josh Morgan's unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against the Rams. And last week's drive against Tampa showed exactly why he is so good. On that final scramble play to set up the field goal, the Redskins had called a screen to the left side. Tampa read the play perfectly and had it covered. Griffin read the coverage, then felt the opening to his right when the Bucs' left end took an inside pass rush. He sensed the void, attacked it and Washington walked away with the win. Griffin has good players around him and Kyle Shanahan has made it easier for him with sound play-calling featuring simple either-or reads and a strong running game, but his individual talent has been astounding. It's only four games, though. We'll have to see where he goes from here.

Did Jaws suffer a bunch of concussions during his playing days?

Actually I googled his rankings. You must be an NFL Insider to see the whole list, but in his introduction to the list, he's very complimentary toward RG3:

"RG3 makes his debut at No. 17, meaning he's just outside the top half of NFL quarterbacks. Honestly, I never thought I'd rank a rookie this high. The trouble is, Griffin has not played like a rookie. What separates him from his first-year peers is his consistency. Andrew Luck and Ryan Tannehill have made some great plays in their young careers, but they've also made some bad ones. I haven't seen that erratic play when it comes to Griffin, hence his extraordinary debut ranking."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8449388/nfl-jaws-qb-rankings-robert-griffin-iii-soars-mark-sanchez-scuffles

Maybe an Insider can post the list. I'd like to see what 16 quarterbacks he has ranked ahead of Griffin based on the first 4 weeks of the season.

Edit: I see that Jaws takes the current 4 weeks but also factors in past performance.

If you read his rational it actually makes some sense. He just doesn't want to put rookies that high but he gives griffin alot of credit. Im ok with it, in context.

Edit: Not saying I agree with him, just that he makes his argument and its actually pretty fair.

Who cares? Power rankings, top-whatever lists, predictions, talking heads, etc. all mean nothing when it comes down to who is hoisting that Lombardi.

There are very few quarterbacks that I would take over RGIII as passers, but put in his leadership, his "it" factor, his ceiling, his poise, his legs, and his age? No contest for me.

Jaws's Rankings:

1.Rodgers

2. Brady

3. Eli

Manning made a poor decision against the Eagles by throwing a costly interception in the end zone, but he otherwise has been very solid all season. With Hakeem Nicks sidelined and Ahmad Bradshaw also missing time, the Giants' offense has been shorthanded, and Manning has raised his game to compensate. Whether it's Ramses Barden or someone else stepping into the Giants' scheme, he doesn't miss a beat. He continues to improve in all phases of the game -- particularly with his pre- and post-snap decisions and his accuracy. I don't think the Giants would stand at 2-2 without Manning's strong early play.

4. Peyton

5. Brees

6. Ryan

7. Roethlisberger

8. Flacco

9. Schaub

10. Rivers

11. Romo sits to pee

Let me answer your question before you ask it: How can Romo sits to pee rank ahead of Jay Cutler after what we saw Monday night? Simple. Not all interceptions are created equal. Romo sits to pee was victimized by a drop by Kevin Ogletree and a mental mistake by Dez Bryant. Yes, turnovers have been a common factor for Romo sits to pee, but the score and game situations often prompt most of those miscues. The Dallas line is not good. Period. But Romo sits to pee's ability to avoid the rush, get outside the pocket and throw is probably second to none. He erases all kinds of mistakes for the Cowboys. Without him, Dallas may not win a game. He needs more help.

12. Vick

The Eagles easily could be 0-4, and nine turnovers through four games is too many, but his performance against the Giants convinced me to keep Vick at No. 12. He really got it going Sunday night, staying patient in the pocket, making his reads and only taking to the run when his passing options were exhausted. That's how Philadelphia needs Vick to play from here on out.

13. Cutler

14. Dalton

15. Stafford

16. Smith

17. RG3

18. Cam

19. Bradford

20. Ponder

21. Freeman

22. Palmer

23. Luck

24. Tannehill