Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Santana Moss' Redskins career **500th career reception in the B&G 10/7/12**

SlinginSammy HOF '63

*update 12/29/2013*

Well, before today I wondered if it were possible to hang on one more year and maybe keep him for situations where we need four guys, but it is apparent that the guy doesn't have it anymore. He drops a lot of easy catches, deflects a lot of passes that turn into INTs, and just a shell of his former self. But like anyone else (besides Peyton Manning, Jerome Bettis and John Elway), his age and ability has caught up with his ability to play at a high level and be a difference-maker.

With that said, and with all of his faults this year, he has the longest tenure with this team, was a gamer in his prime, the star of the Monday Night Miracle, and the most productive receiver this franchise has had since Art Monk. Yes, we haven't had anyone as productive since Monk. The guy is finishing 3rd all time in career receptions while on our watch in DC. 722 catches and 10,000+ yards for his whole career including his stint with the Jets. Yes, we got a heck of a deal out of that trade for Lawhineous Coles.

Thanks to Santana Moss for being a big contributor to three of only four good seasons we've had over the last 21 years of this franchise.

Updated stats below through the end of the 2013 season

His not so common WR career in Washington deserves its own thread. We haven't seen anyone in the B&G that has had such a solid career at receiver since the members of the Posse which means we're talkin about 20+ years since our franchise has had a guy that has put up the numbers he has. The numbers I have listed are strictly what these players racked up while on our dime. As of 9/22/13, He is 5 receptions short of Gary Clark in career yards in the B&G.

He is likely entrenched in fourth place all time in receiving yards, but could pass Gary Clark in career receptions by a Redskin if he can finish solid this year and make the team and produce next year. With that said, IMO, this is a safe jersey to buy if you're in the market. ;) I'll keep this thread updated each week as he amasses stats.
5463.png

571 reception,
7,751 yards

Receptions:
1. Art Monk 888
2. Charley Taylor 649

3. Santana Moss 578
4. Gary Clark 549
5. Chris Cooley 429
6. Jerry Smith 421
7. Rickey Sanders 414
8. Bobby Mitchell 393
9. Michael Westbrook 277
10. Hugh Taylor 272

Receiving yards:

1. Art Monk 12,026
2. Charley Taylor 9,110
3. Gary Clark 8,742
4. Santana Moss 7,842
5. Bobby Mitchell 6,492
6. Rickey Sanders 5,854
7. Jerry Smith 5,496
8. Hugh Taylor 5,233
9. Chris Cooley 4,711
10. Michael Westbrook 4,280

TD Receptions

1. Charley Taylor 79
2. Art Monk 65
3. Jerry Smith 60
4.Gary Clark 58
(tie) Hugh Taylor 58
6. Bobby Mitchell 49
7. Santana Moss 47
8. Ricky Sanders 36
9. Chris Cooley 33
10. Michael Westbrook 24

Always liked Moss. Especially since the Monday Night Miracle.

I hope we can be a legit playoff threat at least one more time before he retires, he deserves it.

On a side note, I think Hank has the ability to crack the reception and yards mark, provided he can stay healthy.

He's a damn good receiver and could've had better opportunities elsewhere, but he stuck with us through Gibbs, Zorn, and now Shanahan, with a combined win total of WAY less than 89.

I have nothing but respect for him. He's definitely in the ROH in my book for the Monday Night Miracle, all of his other clutch plays, how he played so hard for Sean after he died, and for re-tweeting me on my birthday.

Santana Moss is very appreciated here, but sometimes I still feel like he's under appreciated. I watch him now, not getting a ton of time, but still finding a way to make incredible plays and help this team. He is a Washington Redskins and the day we acquired him for Coles was one of the best days in our recent history. He has been worth every penny that he's been paid. People like to bag on him for having the "U" mentality, but really, he's just a football player.

Moss has been great. Really makes you wonder what type of career and numbers he would have had playing for, say, the 1980s 49ers

To put up the kind of stats he has with the collective clown crew we've had at QB is just outstanding.

Plus, I'll never forget that Monday night. Never

Always liked Moss. Especially since the Monday Night Miracle.

I hope we can be a legit playoff threat at least one more time before he retires, he deserves it.

On a side note, I think Hank has the ability to crack the reception and yards mark, provided he can stay healthy.

Hankerson has youth and potential on his side. And hopefully the last two games are signs of things to come as he revs up and becomes more prominent in the offense.

I'm just not seeing this. I don't see the explosion from Hankerson. For small receivers like Moss, we call it quickness. For big receivers like Hankerson, we call it explosiveness.

Anyways, I just don't see it. He is a good player, but I don't see the physical attributes that would make me think he's going to start breaking records

I'm just not seeing this. I don't see the explosion from Hankerson. For small receivers like Moss, we call it quickness. For big receivers like Hankerson, we call it explosiveness.

Anyways, I just don't see it. He is a good player, but I don't see the physical attributes that would make me think he's going to start breaking records

I agree with all of this. What's bad is our career top ten isn't exactly stacked for an 80 year old franchise. Especially considering Westbrook and a guy from the 1950s could make the list which makes me believe Hankerson is slightly possible. :ols:

I remember when Moss was drafted I was ticked, cause he was the player I wanted to draft that year... then later we traded what's his name back to the jets for moss and I remember thinking vinny got the better end of that deal (if it was vinny I can't recall)

Nothing but love for Santana Moss here. Thanks to the OP for putting up those career numbers, as this is something I am compelled to point out to the people who have been down on the guy from time to time.

You're welcome. I'll admit to being critical of him at times. But looking at the overall body of work, I have nothing but respect for what he's done for us.

The game in dallas made Moss a Redskin legend forever. I'm glad he has stuck it out and had such a solid career. I think he could have a decent year this year too if they use him right. Find the matchups and exploit them. He doesn't have to be the go to guy, so find ways to get the mismatch.

Moss was always my favorite of the U crew under Gibbs 2. I love that he rarely runs his mouth and just plays the game.

Not trying to start anything, but Moss over Taylor?

I loved Moss just as much as the next guy and he was very good, but Taylor was just out of this world good. Maybe it's just that I'm more of a defensive guy at heart :whoknows:

God shut up about freakin hankerson already, make a thread about him in 8 years of he's earned it. History shows only 3 redskins wr's have done what moss has done, numbers wise, and on top of that you have unforgettable moments like that Monday night in Dallas and the overtime game winner against the panthers.

I've always loved Santana. He's been a good weapon on bad teams for so long. He is one player that I am okay with keeping around for the up and up ride as we get better and possibly make a run because he's still productive.

Archived