Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HuffPo: UC Davis Police Pepper-Spray Seated Students In Occupy Dispute (VIDEO) (UPDATES)

Larry

Amazed this hasn't been posted.

Link.

WASHINGTON -- On Friday, a group of University of California, Davis students, part of the Occupy Wall Street movement on campus, became the latest victims of alleged police brutality to be captured on video. The videos show the students seated on the ground as a UC Davis police officer brandishes a red canister of pepper spray, showing it off for the crowd before dousing the seated students in a heavy, thick mist.

Photo from another site:

OccupyUCD3.jpg

And a rather thoughtful post from The Atlantic, on the effects of such tactics.

While it's easiest to note the incidents of police violence, the protesters' cameras also record what's *not* in the images. Authorities have long claimed that they were merely battling the "black bloc" of violent anarchists. But when you look at all these videos, the bogeyman isn't there.

Instead, it's a dozen scared kids and a police officer named John Pike spraying them in the face from three feet away. And while it's his finger pulling the trigger, the police system is what put him in the position to be standing in front of those students. I am sure that he is a man like me, and he didn't become a cop to shoot history majors with pepper spray. But the current policing paradigm requires that students get shot in the eyes with a chemical weapon if they resist, however peaceably. Someone has to do it.

And while the kids may cough up blood and writhe in pain, what happens to the man who does it is in some ways much, much worse.

I was also thinking "Go be a hippie somewhere else" for that caption.

I thought about going funny like that but that pic ticked me off, that is just plain ol' lazy copping.

But, seriously, a pretty gutless display by the cop. I'm not a huge fan of OWS, either, but you don't just spray protesters point blank with pepper-spray.

My guess is that he was looking for a testosterone filled story to tell his poker buddies.

Cop: "So there those kids were all huddled together not threatening anyone, so you know what I did...huh...do ya? Well, I'll tell ya, I reached over and grabbed my military grade pepper spray and I sprayed those little pricks right in the eyes...:ols:"

Poker Buddies: :confused: :doh: :twitch:

---------- Post added November-20th-2011 at 09:01 AM ----------

The smart ones got up and moved 12 feet away where they are apparently allowed to be.

You would have been fun to listen to in Selma during the 50's.

Me, my reaction is a mix of emotions, with, I think, rage being dominant.

My gut says that if I'd been there, with a gun, I would have shot him.

My brain says that, in that imaginary scenario, I should have shot him, but I wouldn't have, because I'm a wuss.

----------

Yeah, I do recognize that I think that the nature of protestors have changed. That yeah, there are elements that are drawn to these incidents, with the purpose of escalating the violence. That the cops have, for their own protection, (and for society's) to treat every such situation as a full scale riot that could happen any instant.

It's kind of like when they raid a suspected drug house. Not every raid turns into a military engagement. But it
might
. (And, one way to reduce the odds of it happening, is to show up in such overwhelming force that even if The A Team is in there, they'll still lose, anyway. And they know it.) [/indent[

But even then, just because the cops have to show up
armed for
a riot. Doesn't mean they should
use
it.

So they were told to leave multiple times, did not listen,and got peppered sprayed. What is the big deal? Were they unable to leave when told to leave?

And that's how our country got to this point.

A society who thinks that sitting on a sidewalk without permission justifies multiple assaults by an organized force carrying lethal weapons.

So they were told to leave multiple times, did not listen,and got peppered sprayed. What is the big deal? Were they unable to leave when told to leave?

Yes, because a protest is only effective if you do exactly what they say.

How is it you miss that mosty essential aspect of being American?

Should we have stopped dumping tea into a harbor because we were told to stop?

"Do as your told, and no one gets hurt" is for cowards.

~Bang

I get them not leaving, but it looked to me like they were also trying to trap the police inside their circle. Was that the case?

Trap the police inside their circle, when they had their backs to the police in the circle, when they were sitting down? Yeah, that's what they were doing alright.

All this pepper spraying reminds me of Kent State. Four Dead in O-HI-O.

Ever consider that the "agitaters" are plants? Do the agitaters ever get arrested, sprayed, beaten with batons? They seem to melt into the crowds when the real violence by the cops gets started. I've been to many protests and marches and the ones there for the purpose of the protest and/or march are not violent. The ones with a hidden agenda are the ones who often start the violence.

From a protester from 1969 to 2011.

I get them not leaving, but it looked to me like they were also trying to trap the police inside their circle. Was that the case?

The cops didn't look overly concerned for their safety in the video. They were meandering around, smiling. Watch the cop when he sprayed those kids. Did he really look like he did it out of worry for his safety? Nope.

Trap the police inside their circle, when they had their backs to the police in the circle, when they were sitting down? Yeah, that's what they were doing alright.

All this pepper spraying reminds me of Kent State. Four Dead in O-HI-O.

Ever consider that the "agitaters" are plants? Do the agitaters ever get arrested, sprayed, beaten with batons? They seem to melt into the crowds when the real violence by the cops gets started. I've been to many protests and marches and the ones there for the purpose of the protest and/or march are not violent. The ones with a hidden agenda are the ones who often start the violence.

From a protester from 1969 to 2011.

Agree with everything you say. But I'll also point out that even your perspective fits with the image that I have, of a bunch of hippies with flowers in their hair, singing kumbiyah, while a group of near-terrorists stand 30 feet behind them, throwing rocks and feces and bottles at the cops.

That's why I have to admit (even though I'll admit, I don't like it. It's a grudging admission.) that yeah, I can understand why there's 40 cops, and they're wearing helmets and body armor, and they brought tear gas and gas masks.

Like I said, I can understand the cops bringing their riot gear. It's using it, I have a problem with.

To protect and serve. There is no justification for pepper-spraying non-violent protesters. Isn't this America?

Bang is right - 'do as you're told' will make absolutely no difference. I'm glad OWS has gone on this far. It's refreshing to see people out of their comfort zone, standing for something even in the face of the law saying otherwise.

And I always thought the next revolution was going to be a podcast...

The cops didn't look overly concerned for their safety in the video. They were meandering around, smiling. Watch the cop when he sprayed those kids. Did he really look like he did it out of worry for his safety? Nope.

Those guys came in later. The cops inside the circle were standing around for a while, and to me seemed trapped. They would have had to step over all the protestors to get out, so I would've been a little nervous if I were them. Why would all the protesters sit in a large circle around the cops if they weren't trying to keep them there?

This democracy thing has gone on long enough. Protestors will be given designed zones to stand in and will obey every government order they receive. If you want to change something vote for the republican or democrat that are chosen by the rabid base of either party.

You would have been fun to listen to in Selma during the 50's.

Wow! racist much? or you just feeling punchy on sermon day?

Do you feel a person has to be on that very spot to be effective as an "Occupy Wallstreet" movement, or could they move 12feet to the side an continue what they started?

Do you feel a person has to be on that very spot to be effective as an "Occupy Wallstreet" movement, or could they move 12feet to the side an continue what they started?

So 12 feet is no big deal but it is worth pepper spraying people over.

You know, I just knew you would take it as I was making an issue about race, and that's because you couldn't see past what you wanted to read to what I actually wrote. So have fun with that.

Do you feel that a person has to be on that stool at the lunch counter to be effective as a "Civil Rights" protestor, or could they move 12 feet to the back of the building and continue what they started?

BTW, if you seriously think I was talking about race then wow some comprehension lessons might serve you well, but once you put aside your kneejerk reaction you'll see that I was talking about the tactics and NOT calling you a racist, but thanks for showing everyone your hypersensitivity on the issue.

---------- Post added November-20th-2011 at 02:11 PM ----------

And that's how our country got to this point.

A society who thinks that sitting on a sidewalk without permission justifies multiple assaults by an organized force carrying lethal weapons.

Just do everything the nice person in charge says and you'll be just fine, don't dare disrupt the status quo and you won't get pepper sprayed.

Archived