Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rivals.com: Tim Tebow not looking good in Senior Bowl practice

bird_1972

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Tim-Tebow-meets-his-worst-career-fears-in-Senior?urn=ncaaf,215726

Tim Tebow meets his worst career fears in Senior Bowl debut

By Matt Hinton

On top of the technical issues NFL scouts have with Tim Tebow as a prospective pro quarterback, there's also the standard next-level complaint about "the system" -- specifically, among other things, that Tebow spent the entirety of his college career at Florida taking snaps from the shotgun, never from under center, even in short-yardage situations. That seemingly minor qualm opens up an entirely new avenue of doubts about his ability to adjust to basic mechanics like footwork and turning his back to the defense, fundamentals most quarterbacks have converted to second nature long before they show up for NFL auditions (or, in most cases, before they ever set foot in an actual college game)...

Click on link for rest of article

----------------------

Just thought I'd throw this bit of info in the mix since there is a lot of QB draft talk going on. And yes, I realize he hasn't been mentioned as a potential pick by the Skins but you never know.

:helmet:

It should be noted that, according to PFT, Tebow currently has strep throat, which could be impacting his play.

Strep throat can make you sick as a dog too. I had it prob 4-5 years ago and it's the sickest I remember being since I was a little kid.

Not that I expected Tebow to be lighting it up or anything anyway.

I'm a little disappointed.

He was such a good college player and even though his mechanics need a ton of work (and it looks like they are unlikely to get fixed anytime soon), I would've liked to see him do well.

He's got stellar leadership qualities that are so hard to find in most QBs.

Colt can't play TE.

Yeah, and Tebow doesn't want to play TE either. I heard he won't even do any of the TE drills at the Senior Bowl/Combine to prove he can be a successful QB only.

I don't think it's gonna work. But all it takes is one team to take a chance on him. He's the perfect example of a great college player that can't transition to the NFL game.

First off, it's one day. He's had precisely one day to pick up a pro offense, competing for the coaches' attention with two other QBs. He looks fairly sharp so far today, especially on those two deep balls to McCluster and the other guy from Ole Miss, albeit in VERY limited time so far (it's early on in the practice, though).

Also, the thing with Tebow is, if he has a great game, it'll mean he went from sucking on day 1 to, well, having a great game. That'll probably mean someone will take him in the 1st, because it'll show that he can pick up an offense quickly. However, even if he doesn't have a good game, or a good week at all, his athleticism, leadership, and versatility will keep him in the first 3 rounds. He has a really high floor as far as draft position goes.

Vince Young is more athletic than Tebow, so his scrambling could translate to the NFL somewhat, and more importantly, he has a much quicker release than Tebow.

Correct...the throwing motion comparison are due to the sidearming, not the huge, makes-jc-look-like-he-has-a-quick-release windup of Tebow. That is the big problem with the throwing motion.

But if drafted, he would almost immediately lead the league in heart. So he's got that going for him.

He's looking pretty good today.

Again these are just drills, but accuracy has been spot on so far.

Actually that was an issue too from what I am reading:

"Tebow also had some issues with his accuracy, missing a lot of throws badly. As was the case in college Tebow failed to throw a tight spiral on a consistent basis as well. Now for some positives. Tebow's footwork as he dropped back was much better than I expected it to be and he also showed pretty good touch on his deep throws. We also got a glimpse of those renowned Tebow intangibles as he really took coaching well and was quite vocal in encouraging his teammates. However, all in all it was a very tough day for Tebow and he appears to be every bit of the project most thought he was. On the bright side things can only get better"

That was from yesterday's practice.

This will be the most scrutinized kid to ever come out of college. I mean come on its his first day and people are saying he doesn't look good because he fumbled a snap under center and had so called "bad mechanics" when throwing some balls. I praise him for even going to the senior bowl cause he didnt need to. Most top players avoid that livestock show because they want to impress scouts at the combine. Clausen, Bradford, McCoy, all not playing. Give the guy a chance to adjust before you label him folks.

He's looking pretty good today.

Again these are just drills, but accuracy has been spot on so far.

He's a good quarterback, man. You don't have the success he's had throwing the ball in the SEC by sucking, that's what most people don't seem to realize. Yeah, he's got alot to learn, and alot that needs to be fixed, but he's smart enough and committed enough to learn and fix those things.

I'll admit, I'm a homer, and I'm always going to view Tebow in the brightest light. However, as a huge Tebow fan, I can still view the situation realistically. Anybody that thinks he's going to jump right into the QB position in the NFL and succeed is dead wrong. By that token, though, anyone that writes him off as completely unable to succeed in the NFL as a QB is dead wrong, too.

Archived