Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

49ers don't want Stafford because he won't open up to shrink

hokie4redskins

According to Singletary.

"If you're going to look at drafting a guy in the first round, and you're going to pay him millions of dollars, and asking him about a divorce about his parents, if that's going to be an issue, uhhh, then you know what, maybe he doesn't belong here."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/49ers-don-t-want-Stafford-because-he-won-t-open-?urn=nfl,151562

I didn't read the article just the quote....but if thats about it, boy is that stupid.

I mean, maybe there are things about it that bring pain to him.

Family is 10x more impt than football, so he has no right to judge him based off the quote.

PFT had a blurb about Staffords comments being taken out of context.

Apparently he thought it was out of left field but understood they would being paying him millions so he wasn't upset about it.

I'm on my phone so I can't find it. Maybe someone can find it on PFT.

If I were Singletary, I would be a bit concerned about this part as well:

Stafford, a potential first-round draft pick, told the Detroit Free Press that the psychologist presumed Stafford had “unfinished business” about his parents’ split in high school.

Stafford said he answered no and inquired how much the doctor was being paid for the analysis.

Seems kind of personal. I understand their concern but it's not really their business if the kid doesn't want to talk about it.

Ummm..yes it is their business. Like Singletary said, they will be paying the guy millions upon millions. Its not like they are talking to him about being molested as a child or anything. Its about his parents divorce. Most peoples parents today are divorced. He should be able to talk to him potential employers about it who are investing a lot of money.

Kind of on the fence on this. I see Stafford's point, but I also see the 49ers point.

Having taken a few employee "shrink" tests I can say that the question is normal. In fact depending on what job you are applying for the questions can get more personal.

I don't see the specific question about his parent divorce being that out of the ordinary. The 49ers are just trying to as much information on Stafford as possible.

That said, I don't see Stafford's refusal to answer the question in any way telling as to whether he can play QB in the NFL.

If I were Singletary, I would be a bit concerned about this part as well:

Quote:

Stafford, a potential first-round draft pick, told the Detroit Free Press that the psychologist presumed Stafford had “unfinished business” about his parents’ split in high school.

Stafford said he answered no and inquired how much the doctor was being paid for the analysis.

Good come back Stafford. I think if anything that shows some moxy and toughness, maybe Mike only thinks that is good for LBers. I tend to think Singletary made an unreal LBer but will wait to see how he is as a coach. Too many people have just assumed that he will continue to motivate that team.

If you think that question is personal you should see what many applicants into the police services in Canada are asked. I assume they get pretty personal in the US too. I think the question is pretty legit. The guy is going to get paid millions of dollars, be the face of the franchise and is expected to be a model (and sane) citizen on and off the field. Teams can't afford to take chances anymore. Guys like Vick, Ricky Williams, Ryan Leaf, Matt Jones etc... were all talented with problems teams never clued in to. It wouldn't surprise me if many nfl teams had private investigators following their players, they make a huge investment in these guys and expect a return on it.

I used to love Singletary for his no BS attitude. Frankly, this is shocking. It's not his business. I don't think Stafford is mentally unstable and is currently planning a scheme to kill his father and frame it all on his mother to get back at them. I don't know, this just sounds like a really bad excuse for passing over Stafford if he falls. What's going to be the excuse for Sanchez?

Ummm..yes it is their business. Like Singletary said, they will be paying the guy millions upon millions. Its not like they are talking to him about being molested as a child or anything. Its about his parents divorce. Most peoples parents today are divorced. He should be able to talk to him potential employers about it who are investing a lot of money.

I have had enough of this paying him millions so they can bend him over and examine him as they wish crap. It didn't prevent him from playing football in college and won't in the pro's either. Somebody's parents being divorced has nothing to do with thier performance on the field.

Excuse my ignorance, I've never kept up with the 49ers, what happened with Alex Smith?

They took him number 1 overall and he was a bust.

I don't really see the connection between a psychiatrist and Alex Smith's situation. He just isn't any good, but he's probably among the most intelligent and mentally stable people in the NFL. lol

Archived