Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Variety: Inside the Legal Battle to Recut Trump Movie ‘The Apprentice’: Why Billionaire Investor Dan Snyder Is Furious With Ex-President’s Portrayal

On Monday night, all eyes in Cannes will be on the launch of “The Apprentice,” the high-profile drama that stars Sebastian Stan as a young Donald Trump. The filmmakers and stars haven’t done any press on the ground at Cannes ahead of the film’s world premiere, and few have seen it, with plot details shrouded in mystery. 

But one person who has seen it is Dan Snyder, the billionaire former owner of the Washington Commanders who is an investor in “The Apprentice.” And he isn’t happy. 

Behind the scenes, a nasty battle has played out between the Snyder-backed company Kinematics and the filmmakers over the creative direction of the film. “The Apprentice,” directed by Ali Abbasi, covers Trump’s early years when he was mentored by political fixer Roy Cohn (Jeremy Strong) and his marriage to his first wife, Ivana (Maria Bakalova). 

Sources say Snyder, a friend of Trump’s who donated $1.1. million to his inaugural committee and Trump Victory in 2016 and $100,000 to his 2020 presidential campaign, put money into the film via Kinematics because he was under the impression that it was a flattering portrayal of the 45th president. Snyder finally saw a cut of the film in February and was said to be furious. Kinematics’ lawyers were enlisted to fight the release of “The Apprentice,” and the cease-and-desist letters began flying. Kinematics president Emanuel Nuñez insists that the creative impasse between his company and the filmmakers didn’t involve Snyder. “All creative and business decisions involving ‘The Apprentice’ have always been and continue to be solely made by Kinematics. Mark and I run our company without the involvement of any other third parties.”

Sources familiar with the back and forth say Snyder took issue with multiple aspects of the film and weighed in on what should be changed. In earlier versions of the screenplay, “The Apprentice” featured a scene where Trump rapes Ivana. One insider, familiar with the scene that is in the current cut, described it as “violent” and “uncomfortable” and follows a fight between the couple. (In a 1989 divorce deposition, Ivana accused Trump of raping her. But Ivana — who died in 2022 — later refuted these claims in 2015, saying, “The story is totally without merit. Donald and I are the best of friends and 

Heading into Cannes, there was intense interest from potential buyers for the film, which is seeking U.S. distribution ahead of the election in November. International sales outfit Rocket Science is shopping the title at the Marche alongside CAA and WME. Complicating matters, Snyder’s Kinematics has a voice in sales negotiations. 

It is unclear if Snyder, who is a fixture at the festival where he socializes with other billionaires on his yacht, plans to attend tonight’s premiere alongside the Kinematics team, who will be on hand. He is no stranger to controversy. For years, he ignored calls to change the name of his NFL team, formerly called the Redskins, a term that was offensive to Native Americans. “We’ll never change the name. It’s that simple. NEVER—you can use caps,” he told USA Today in 2013. After initially refusing to meet with Native American advocates about a name change, he relented in 2020, and the team was eventually rebranded the Washington Commanders. 

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/donald-trump-movie-the-apprentice-dan-snyder-feud-1236010060/

I usually skip Trump movies but with Snyder not wanting us to watch this might be the first one I watch

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

I usually skip Trump movies but with Snyder not wanting us to watch this might be the first one I watch

Some Snyder footage has been released to the public:

6555c6d4290e48410ccd468b875dd100.gif.c6df003a5a76d1aabb8e0c6523ffe4c1.gif

...seems like an accurate portrayal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

They probably met on Epstein's island.

In fact there are photos of Snyder on the island:

5139383445_2563c193f9.jpg

Edited by Dan T.
  • Haha 11

I hate to do this, but it needs to be said...

This is a bad time to be making a movie that shows Trump raping someone if there's no conviction and the witness is dead.

He's going to weaponize this...I'm not sure the point of showing that in a movie (even if it happened) if Ivana retracted the story before she died.

Trump is a horrible person, this is common knowledge.  We really need a movie with THAT in it?

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I hate to do this, but it needs to be said...

This is a bad time to be making a movie that shows Trump raping someone if there's no conviction and the witness is dead.

He's going to weaponize this...I'm not sure the point of showing that in a movie (even if it happened) if Ivana retracted the story before she died.

Trump is a horrible person, this is common knowledge.  We really need a movie with THAT in it?

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

4 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/donald-trump-movie-the-apprentice-dan-snyder-feud-1236010060/

Since Snyder knows everyone hates him by now, I think this is an intentional leak to get people to watch the movie.  So Snyder can make more money

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Least surprising tidbit in history:

Horrible person Daniel Snyder is friends with horrible person Donald Trump.

Wrong.

Least surprising tidbit in history:

Dan Snyder is still meddling in stuff he doesn't know anything about instead of leaving it up to the people hired to make those decisions lol...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

It's a rape scene.

The victim has refuted it and died, there was no conviction or criminal trial.

Why is this scene in the movie like it's fact? 

Something feels off about this. Jus because no one likes Trump shouldn't give it a pass.

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It's a rape scene.

The victim has refuted it and died, there was no conviction or criminal trial.

Why is this scene in the movie like it's fact? 

Something feels off about this. Jus because no one likes Trump shouldn't give it a pass.

Plenty of people like Trump.  

Fine, so the victim refuted it and died.  No conviction or criminal trial.

But it's also a movie (not a documentary) and knowing what we know about Trump it's not hard to believe that he did rape someone at some juncture in his life.  

Anyway, **** Dan Snyder, too.

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Plenty of people like Trump.  

Fine, so the victim refuted it and died.  No conviction or criminal trial.

But it's also a movie (not a documentary) and knowing what we know about Trump it's not hard to believe that he did rape someone at some juncture in his life.  

Anyway, **** Dan Snyder, too.

Yea, not a hill a worth dying on, for sure.

It was on my mind, now it's out.

Thank you for your patience and understanding...