Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Rookie camp/OTA/Training camp thread.

I see Eckeler getting a lot of work in the Red Zone, where he has been a TD machine and as the third down back, we have sucked in that area. I think he plays 50% of the game because he blocks, catches and can still run the ball. Maybe not the same player as age and injuries slowed him down last year and the clocks running but I still have faith. B. Robinson is what he is a good back nothing great.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Lockett wasn't much of a receiver until his fourth season when he was 26.  Jahan has already posted similar production to Lockett's first two years and he came into the NFL a year younger.  I don't think that is too high a bar for Jahan to reach, especially not as his best case scenario.  It would also be a pretty major disappointment if Jahan didn't break out until he was 26.  He kind of needs to do it this year.  Definitely has to if he wants his fifth year picked up.

Agree he needs to turn it around I hope he can.  It would be a disappointment if the former middle 1st. rd. pick did not breakout until 26. But no matter which ever way you steer it, if he becomes another Tyler we will be happy or at least I will.

1 hour ago, ntotoro said:

want to believe that... badly... especially as good as he was his rookie season and the ceiling he showed. A player who loses motivation because of a coach makes me wonder. Some people can get the best out of others, some can't... but a player who just says "**** it" makes me worry.

Terry wasn't exactly in a position to succeed, was hurt and still got 1000 yards. He didn't have a season full of mulligans and mistakes.

I don’t think Jahan said **** it. 

He just struggled. 

You ever felt like you were getting ridden at work unnecessarily? And then you make little mistakes you usually don’t because you’re feeling pressure? I know I have at times. Not all the time. But it’s happened to me.

Now, imagine feeling that way week to week with a 250 lb linebacker running at you while you’re filling out TPS reports.

These are professionals and part of their growth is to figure out how to handle that stuff. And maybe he learned from last year. 

But I’m not willing to throw away a great rookie year because of a bad year with a lame duck regime.

I feel the same about Forbes, in some ways. 

Really, with everyone not named Wiley. 

If it repeats this year - there’s a problem with the player.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He just struggled. 

You ever felt like you were getting ridden at work unnecessarily? And then you make little mistakes you usually don’t because you’re feeling pressure? I know I have at times. Not all the time. But it’s happened to me.

Now, imagine feeling that way week to week with a 250 lb linebacker running at you while you’re filling out TPS reports.

These are professionals and part of their growth is to figure out how to handle that stuff. And maybe he learned from last year. 

But I’m not willing to throw away a great rookie year because of a bad year with a lame duck regime.

You love Wiley

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumb down 1

The coaching was so bad and the environment was awful with a coach who knew he was gone and was just running out the clock that I'm willing to give the young guys a pass essentially.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He just struggled. 

Oh, I almost feel that way daily LOL!!! I think about my kids and maintaining myself... my name and that's enough. My balls, as Tony Montana eloquently puts it. That's enough to get me going. Now... I'm 51, divorced with three kids and not in my early 20's, so I get the value of perspective. Maybe it's a generational thing. My name was always worth more... I don't know. Hopefully he did learn how to overcome issues, whether mental or physical on the field. When you're in GovCon, you always feel like you have six bosses who want six different things and you can't make them all happy... like coaches... but Terry still did what he did, despite the issues with the Offense (which there definitively were and a lot was coaching). 

I don't want to throw out the baby with the bathwater, either, I just worry when you see someone so fundamentally lost after showing such a high ceiling the prior season. If he's able to rebound, then maybe it really is a matter of coaches and players being able to reach him where before they couldn't and just gave up on him or didn't even try.

When I was in the middle of my divorce years ago, I spoke to my Priest about how he could connect with me, despite never having been in the same position. He said some people look the part and dress the part, but are unable to reach your soul. The same can be said about coaches, bosses, teammates, coworkers, et al.

Forbes... we'll see because he hasn't shown anything at the NFL level yet. Certainly not as much as Dotson.

Edited by ntotoro
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

This is why analytics and PFF both can be laughingstocks. 

Wylie is underrated in the sense that a lot of fans think he's unplayable garbage when he's really just a league average starter.  He's a fourth or fifth linemen on a good line who seems worse than he is because our line is bad and generated so few wins.  For someone to be the most underrated player on a roster, they need to be a good player by a broader standard.  To me that's B-Rob for us.  But I do think there is some question about his scheme fit moving forward.  I like his style a lot better for a gap scheme, and there might be a chance we'll run a zone heavy scheme instead because of Peters's history in SF.  We'll see what Kingsbury installs this year.

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Wylie is underrated in the sense that a lot of fans think he's unplayable garbage when he's really just a league average starter.  He's a fourth or fifth linemen on a good line who seems worse than he is because our line is bad and generated so few wins.  For someone to be the most underrated player on a roster, they need to be a good player by a broader standard.  To me that's B-Rob for us.  But I do think there is some question about his scheme fit moving forward.  I like his style a lot better for a gap scheme, and there might be a chance we'll run a zone heavy scheme instead because of Peters's history in SF.  We'll see what Kingsbury installs this year.

Wylie is mostly average. The problem is when he loses a rep, he loses BAD. Its not like some guys where they lose a rep but still put up a fight. Wylie's losses are awful and often result in just instant pressure because he just straight up whiffs or stumbles or something.

• Thumb up 1

1) Aside from Forbes, who I'm pulling for but think was a bad pick and had a pretty traumatic (for him and us fans) rookie year, I think that last year could show the fundamentals of what players can do, but it's not going to be a continuation of that. It'll be like going from the car race in Grease" to the Indy 500.  Yeah, it's still technically racing and winning is still the same, but it's a drastically different approach. Plus Lightning McQueen k'chow!

2) As others have said, it was lame duck, ownership was still cleaning vanilla ice cream off of the offense's meeting room, we had two insanely disappointing coordinators, and Ron was on his way out. You're only as good as your last game, but this team hasn't even had their first.

3) **** Wiley, he went to the Casey Rabach School of Turnstyle Blocking and graduated magna cum ON MAN HOW DID YOU WHIFF AGAIN JFC

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I refuse to believe that Doctson went from pretty good rookie year to be being below average overnight. much more apt to blame Bienimes idiotic Offensive scheme/ game plan and general teams ineptitude under Rivera. The team pretty much gave up.

I am looking for a big time rebound from Doctson. Forbes i am less optimistic about.. but i hope Quinn can. at least make his serviceable.

Wiley was a below average starter in KC.. and has gotten worse here with less talented players around him. I'd move him to guard maybe or promote him to towel boy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Forbes was thrown out on a sinking island in the same way that Howell was. This year I doubt we put Forbeson AJ Brown and leave Butler single high. That was criminally bad play calling. We have small opportunistic speedy corners. I bet we'll see a lot of cover 3, with one safety sticking around the middle occasionally blitzing, but covering the hashmarks deep, to keep WRs in front of them and allow the corners to attack under the route.

We should also finally have an actual pass rush in Quinns defense. 

• Like 9
  • Thumb up 1

34 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Forbes was thrown out on a sinking island in the same way that Howell was. This year I doubt we put Forbeson AJ Brown and leave Butler single high. That was criminally bad play calling. We have small opportunistic speedy corners. I bet we'll see a lot of cover 3, with one safety sticking around the middle occasionally blitzing, but covering the hashmarks deep, to keep WRs in front of them and allow the corners to attack under the route.

We should also finally have an actual pass rush in Quinns defense. 

To this day I'm genuinely curious who's brilliant idea it was to put a 6'0 170lb rookie CB who excels in zone coverage in one-on-one man coverage against a 6'1 225lb WR who is one of the elite NFL players at the position...and then was surprised by the results.

I'm still a bit dubious about Forbes, but he was absolutely railroaded by incompetent coaching.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

To this day I'm genuinely curious who's brilliant idea it was to put a 6'0 170lb rookie CB who excels in zone coverage in one-on-one man coverage against a 6'1 225lb WR who is one of the elite NFL players at the position...and then was surprised by the results.

I'm still a bit dubious about Forbes, but he was absolutely railroaded by incompetent coaching.

I swear most of our coaching staff thought they were going to be the ones to get that super high draft pick to use.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Forbes getting utterly abused in 1v1 situations vs guys he shouldn't be lined up against as a rookie doesn't bother me so much.

It's him getting rag-dolled/steam-rolled/molly-whopped by downfield blockers and completely giving up on pursuit tackles is what irks me.  Couple that with how much he chirps and celebrates after doing his job correctly- and you have a guy who is hard to embrace from a fan's perspective.

Hoping for a big turnaround this year - we need those Pick 6's that supposedly set him apart from Gonzales. Ice Up, Son!

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, KDawg said:

You Might find this a bit surprising. 

Wylie is pffs choice for most underrated player on our roster this year.

WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: T ANDREW WYLIE

Wylie came over from Kansas City with offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy to play right tackle for the Commanders. Although he gave up a sack in each of his first four games with Washington, Wylie got better as the season went on and eventually earned a 69.2 PFF overall grade — a career-high mark for him on his way to ranking 16th among right tackles

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-most-underrated-player-all-32-nfl-teams-paulson-adebo-trey-smith

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Wylie came over from Kansas City with offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy to play right tackle for the Commanders. Although he gave up a sack in each of his first four games with Washington, Wylie got better as the season went on and eventually earned a 69.2 PFF overall grade — a career-high mark for him on his way to ranking 16th among right tackles

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-most-underrated-player-all-32-nfl-teams-paulson-adebo-trey-smith

I actually don’t mind running it back with Wylie. He had some awful moments last year, but wasn’t consistently awful. It’s just that his bad was really bad. When you factor in Bienemys awful play calling and Sam howells poor qb play, the entire line was set up to fail. I think both Wylie and the line in general will be improved this year.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Doesn’t surprise me. 

6 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Wylie is hot garbage. I do agree that he would probably be better in gap scheme. But there is nothing average about him at all. He was abysmal last season. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Doesn’t surprise me. 

Just out of curiosity why not?

I thought it was a little surprising but then again our roster is so depleted and we were so bad that it's tough to pick out someone who's underrated. 

I guess I should have gone back a few pages and read the thread.

I didn't realize this had already been discussed. 

Edited by redskinss