Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jayden Daniels QB LSU

PCS

Daniels just leaves one thing in question for me at this moment and a big reason a lot did not want the team to pick him. Can he stay healthy with the way he runs and takes hits. It would be nice for some news of him putting some work in on this with someone, a coach or baseball friend. I am on board with everything else. Do QB coaches teach this? Could they make a Mahomes Vid? He does it so well and a perfect player to learn from.

I don't care if he has stayed healthy either just want him to do everything to stay healthy. Put the work in if he has not.     

10 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Actually, I think he is telling the football answer.

Cover 1, would default to Man Under unless the secondary has some bail calls based on formation. The vertical route drifts away from the safety and towards the sideline so if the WR gets a step on the Corner, it could be a touchdown. His 2 WR's in college had 4.3 speed and regularly turned deep shots into catch and run TD's.

The FS can't go over to the sideline immediately because the deep dig on the other side also looks like a vertical route for most of it. So the FS is a bit stuck. Daniels says "Throw the touchdown" which has to mean the vertical route down the sideline. That's the only one that could really be a "touchdown" against Cover 1 unless a different WR breaks some tackles.

...or Daniels could have just been a smart ass.

Yeah it was Jayden's way of saying he'd throw the slot fade to the F against Cover 1.  He was joking around and being a wise ass though, as Daboll clearly wanted him to describe the progression to see if he could remember all of the reads without looking at the board after peppering Jayden with a bunch of info.

Jayden was probably making a point that a Cover 1 call against a slot fade is bad defense against his offense at LSU, as he made quite a lot of hay off throwing those paeticular routes.  Any offensive expert who studied his film would know that.  The real answer is he waits to see if that F receiver wins and gets open, throws it if he does, or if he doesn't, then Jayden takes off running against a bunch of spaced out man coverage and picks up 12+ yards. Those are the two big play options on that read, and the second one will work.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Daniels just leaves one thing in question for me at this moment and a big reason a lot did not want the team to pick him. Can he stay healthy with the way he runs and takes hits. It would be nice for some news of him putting some work in on this with someone, a coach or baseball friend. I am on board with everything else. Do QB coaches teach this? Could they make a Mahomes Vid? He does it so well and a perfect player to learn from.

I don't care if he has stayed healthy either just want him to do everything to stay healthy. Put the work in if he has not.     

He's gotta learn to slide first and foremost. Mahomes played baseball so he's a natural at it. But it can be learned. And if that's his only major issue than we're pretty damn lucky.

• Thumb up 1

54 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

That was his answer.

Joking aside indeed it may be more about the attitude of the QB than a wonderLICK score. CJ proved that last year - give a QB studs at WR and get the F out of the way. Aggressive go for the throat mindset or be a wuss or always keep the QB coaches feelings in mind and think checkdown to keep him happy. Nature vs Nurture Lodge, nature always wins. At the end of the day the QB has to act fast. JD will be looking deep early and often folks lets roll.

"If you think, you're dead" - Dave Butts

This post is weird and silly. It's long on chest thumping platitudes and short on any real logic.

Nobody is "freaking out" over his answer. It was cheeky and somewhat funny. I just like hearing QBs thought processes and hearing smart QBs talk Xs and Os, that's all. And by all accounts JD is a very smart QB.

And it's incredibly simplistic to say that Stroud was a success because they gave him good receivers and just "got the F out of the way" as if the dude was just going YOLO every snap and playing backyard football. Stroud worked very hard to know that offense inside and out and they worked very hard to make sure it was as QB friendly for a rookie as possible. You can see videos of Stroud talking about plays and Xs and Os and he had very clearly put in the work and knew the position and exactly what he could and should do on a given play depending on what the defense was doing.

And JD can look deep early and often, but the deep stuff is not always there, so smart QBs will see the holes in the defense (if they're taking away deep stuff there will be holes for shorter stuff underneath usually) and attack that. Tom Brady was an absolute master at that. No deep stuff? He doesn't care. He'll kill you with a thousand short completions that pick up 5 yards at a time until you try to take that away. Then when you do that he'll kill you with whatever that opens up deeper or intermediate.

10 hours ago, mistertim said:

You just agreed with what I said while claiming to disagree with it. Adapting to the speed of the NFL takes hard work and extreme dedication. Haskins wasn't a very hard worker, didn't have much experience, and wasn't especially dedicated. 

You discussed his work ethic and I think it was a lot more than that. You can be in the NFL for years and be "dedicated" and still have many of the issues Haskins had. He lacked some abilities, a skill set good QB's need to be successful in the NFL, and it was exposed. So, I am not agreeing with you. And you can find many analysts that have said the same things about Haskins. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

You discussed his work ethic and I think it was a lot more than that. You can be in the NFL for years and be "dedicated" and still have many of the issues Haskins had. He lacked some abilities, a skill set good QB's need to be successful in the NFL, and it was exposed. So, I am not agreeing with you. And you can find many analysts that have said the same things about Haskins. 

What's your analysis? That he was just too slow mentally for the NFL in general and he was doomed even if he worked hard?

• Thumb down 1

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

This post is weird and silly. It's long on chest thumping platitudes and short on any real logic.

Nobody is "freaking out" over his answer. It was cheeky and somewhat funny. I just like hearing QBs thought processes and hearing smart QBs talk Xs and Os, that's all. And by all accounts JD is a very smart QB.

And it's incredibly simplistic to say that Stroud was a success because they gave him good receivers and just "got the F out of the way" as if the dude was just going YOLO every snap and playing backyard football. Stroud worked very hard to know that offense inside and out and they worked very hard to make sure it was as QB friendly for a rookie as possible. You can see videos of Stroud talking about plays and Xs and Os and he had very clearly put in the work and knew the position and exactly what he could and should do on a given play depending on what the defense was doing.

And JD can look deep early and often, but the deep stuff is not always there, so smart QBs will see the holes in the defense (if they're taking away deep stuff there will be holes for shorter stuff underneath usually) and attack that. Tom Brady was an absolute master at that. No deep stuff? He doesn't care. He'll kill you with a thousand short completions that pick up 5 yards at a time until you try to take that away. Then when you do that he'll kill you with whatever that opens up deeper or intermediate.

Why'd you take issue with "freaking out" ignoring that immediately after that I wrote joking aside... do know that makes you look silly. Wait. Ironic it looks like you are the one freaking out. Concerns over Stroud were about his lame duck wonderlic score which I think was proven stupid to worry about. If he had **** WRs you think he'd have that great year?  Everyone knows the deep stuff is not always there.

Bah don't answer its the middle of July - and we are in 2 different places. I am here to have fun and kill time before the action starts.

Edited by RandyHolt

16 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Why'd you take issue with "freaking out" ignoring that immediately after that I wrote joking aside... do know that makes you look silly. Wait. Ironic it looks like you are the one freaking out. Concerns over Stroud were about his lame duck wonderlic score which I think was proven stupid to worry about. If he had **** WRs you think he'd have that great year?  Everyone knows the deep stuff is not always there.

Bah don't answer its the middle of July - and we are in 2 different places. I am here to have fun and kill time before the action starts.

Concerns over Stroud were not over his Wonderlic. They were over his S2 Cognition test results, which is more about testing quick decision making than general intelligence (and has actually shown to be a fairly good predictor...Mahomes, Allen, and Purdy all scored extremely high, for example).

The interesting thing is that Stroud's test was actually flagged by the company that administers the test as likely being unreliable. Basically they saw what he did and it looked like he didn't even care or really try, which he more or less admitted when he said he's a football player, not a test taker. Sort of like a smart person who hates tests so just fills in the "C" oval for every answer because he doesn't give a ****.

And if he had **** WRs he probably wouldn't have been as successful, sure. But he still would have been successful because, as I noted, when you listen to him and you listen to his coaches, you can tell that 1) he knew that offense inside and out and exactly what to do on certain plays against certain defensive looks and 2) the coaches did everything in their power to make the system as rookie QB friendly as they could.

So your implication that Stroud was successful because he had good WRs and coaches who just "got out of the way" and let him do whatever, is patently false and also pretty dumb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Jayden's point in saying he'd throw a touchdown was that Cover 1 against those route concepts were touchdown balls for him at LSU because of how likely that F is to get open deep.  The Xs and Os claim he's making is that Cover 1 is a bad defensive call that he can make big plays against.  He's not wrong, and he's also communicating that his mindset in that situation is to aggressively hunt the big play.  Daboll wants to see what Jayden's mentality will be against each coverage, and he liked the aggressiveness in Jayden's response.

There are going to be two big play opportunities from that concept against Cover 1 assuming it's a six man coverage.  Throwing the ball to the F, which will hit big if that receiver gets a step on his match up, or tucking it and running against whatever way the blitzer/spy drifts if the F doesn't separate quickly enough.  TBH, Jayden doesn't really need to read further than that because the defense called is bad.

This is how Jayden's elite running threat becomes so valuable, as it limits viable defensive concepts against our offense.  Playing single-high man coverage against us is always going to be dicey.  It's how he lit up Alabama.

• Like 3

Also wanted to add that if it's a seven man coverage in Cover 1 and they do bracket the F, then that makes the read to run even easier for Jayden.

The trouble with reading NFL defenses is that they are expert in disguising their coverages pre-snap.  Making sure the D is actually in Cover 1 is hard and it takes a minute unless you've seen that defense so much that you can anticipate them based off very subtle cues.  That level of mastery takes a ton of reps and starts to acquire, and Jayden is going to get fooled a lot next year.  Everyone does.  But it's going to help a ton if we can sap the aggressiveness of the rush via the run game, and by having the QB run trump card in our pocket to pick up third and longs against man coverage.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Jayden's point in saying he'd throw a touchdown was that Cover 1 against those route concepts were touchdown balls for him at LSU because of how likely that F is to get open deep.  The Xs and Os claim he's making is that Cover 1 is a bad defensive call that he can make big plays against.  He's not wrong, and he's also communicating that his mindset in that situation is to aggressively hunt the big play.  Daboll wants to see what Jayden's mentality will be against each coverage, and he liked the aggressiveness in Jayden's response.

There are going to be two big play opportunities from that concept against Cover 1 assuming it's a six man coverage.  Throwing the ball to the F, which will hit big if that receiver gets a step on his match up, or tucking it and running against whatever way the blitzer/spy drifts if the F doesn't separate quickly enough.  TBH, Jayden doesn't really need to read further than that because the defense called is bad.

This is how Jayden's elite running threat becomes so valuable, as it limits viable defensive concepts against our offense.  Playing single-high man coverage against us is always going to be dicey.  It's how he lit up Alabama.

That certainly could have been his point and would have made sense, as we saw him throw plenty of TDs at LSU vs coverage looks like that. All I was saying was that I enjoy hearing more of the in-depth Xs and Os talk, so him explaining what was happening and how it would have been a touchdown pass for him would have been cool to hear.

And yeah, his ability to run definitely makes those kind of single high coverages dicey. I'm fine with runs like that where it's green grass in front of him. My concern is more the A gap designed runs where he got lit up. Those will get him sent to the hospital in the NFL.

33 minutes ago, mistertim said:

That certainly could have been his point and would have made sense, as we saw him throw plenty of TDs at LSU vs coverage looks like that. All I was saying was that I enjoy hearing more of the in-depth Xs and Os talk, so him explaining what was happening and how it would have been a touchdown pass for him would have been cool to hear.

And yeah, his ability to run definitely makes those kind of single high coverages dicey. I'm fine with runs like that where it's green grass in front of him. My concern is more the A gap designed runs where he got lit up. Those will get him sent to the hospital in the NFL.

It would have been, but the Giants have editing control of the footage. This is also a marketing piece for their fans to get excited and buy tickets/gear.

Showing footage to hype up a division rival is probably not in their best interest.  Maybe they did go more in depth after, and everything you wanted was talked about...but we wouldn't know as the Giants aren't going to OK that footage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

It would have been, but the Giants have editing control of the footage. This is also a marketing piece for their fans to get excited and buy tickets/gear.

Showing footage to hype up a division rival is probably not in their best interest.  Maybe they did go more in depth after, and everything you wanted was talked about...but we wouldn't know as the Giants aren't going to OK that footage.

That too. Its essentially state controlled media.

14 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

For any misery aficionados out there:

The same guy also tweeted this about Mahomes after their regular season loss to Buffalo:

What a spoiled brat Mahomes' ability to handle adversity is so poor. For the first year ever, his OL and WRs aren't both stellar, and he melts down both on and off the field. Processing goes to hell & throws fits like this? I think we've already seen the pinnacle of his career.

His thoughts on 2023 QBs:

My pre-draft QB rankings in 2023: 1. Levis 2. Young 2. Stroud 4. Richardson

My rankings of those 4 QBs now, after grading their rookie seasons: 1. Levis 2. Stroud 3. Richardson 4. Young

Yeah, dude is a moron. And a bit of a closet racist I think.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The same guy also tweeted this about Mahomes after their regular season loss to Buffalo:

What a spoiled brat Mahomes' ability to handle adversity is so poor. For the first year ever, his OL and WRs aren't both stellar, and he melts down both on and off the field. Processing goes to hell & throws fits like this? I think we've already seen the pinnacle of his career.

My rankings of those 4 QBs now, after grading their rookie seasons: 1. Levis 2. Stroud 3. Richardson 4. Young

Oh yeah I think he's full of it, I just try to ferry over something negative every once in a while to keep myself honest 😁

34 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Seems like he's mostly a clickbait seeker from looking at his tweeting style. The Mahomes take sounds like he just doesn't like the dude. And Levis? He looked pretty decent but how in the world could anyone possibly put him ahead of Stroud?

1 hour ago, Bifflog said:

Where is the "awful pro day" and "awful interviews" thing coming from? I watched his whole pro day. It was fine. And the reports were all good about his interviews. And yeah 23 is definitely on the older side for a rookie QB, but "exceedingly old" is quite a bit of hyperbole.

I don't get why he said he forgot the play either. He literally repeats it back word for word except he says X instead of F when X is pretty standard football nomenclature(I've never once heard F being used in that context).

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Bifflog said:

What are posters here even linking to this dude's tweets? He's some random on the internet with a few thousand suckers following him. His "analysis" means nothing. This take is so stupid I lost a few IQ points reading it.

6 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

What are posters here even linking to this dude's tweets? He's some random on the internet with a few thousand suckers following him. His "analysis" means nothing. This take is so stupid I lost a few IQ points reading it.

It was mostly for fun to dunk on the take/toss a firecracker into the hoard of stray cats that is this thread 😜

At least it wasn't Aiyuk related, right!?!

Edited by Bifflog

Jayden is the opposite of overwhelmed in that clip.  He's loose and letting his dick swing, bragging about the play he can make on that concept against that coverage.  How did he miss the read?

The one surefire thing you can takeaway from this whole offseason is that Jayden has never been overwhelmed by this transition from college to pro.  If anything, he's too ****y.

• Like 1

He’s talking to a franchise that has zero chance to draft him at all. He’s probably only there because his agent told him it would be a bad look not to participate.