Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jayden Daniels QB LSU

PCS

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

So here is an analyst who knows a lot more about evaluating players then most.

When watching Jayden I never thought he left the pocket prematurely or "whenever" he felt pressure, which has been suggested by some. 

Secondly, yes, RG3 tried to develop into a pocket passer, but he couldn't.  Daniels already is a pocket passer who also happens to have great wheels. A solid skillset that you could design some great plays around because he is not just a runner.

If something happened and he was slowed down, he would still be a solid pocket passer. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He looks good right now.  

Thats better than looking bad.

We won’t know for several years how truly good he can be consistently.

However I’ll take “looks good now” over “sure it doesn’t look good but there’s nothing to worry about.”

It’s a process.  And growth isn’t necessarily always linear.  

Several years? Eeek. Too long for me. For most part, great players shine right away relative to their position and situations. 

20 hours ago, mistertim said:

RG3 was smart in wanting to develop into more of a pocket passer vs a runner, especially after almost getting his leg snapped off while running.. Elite passers have long careers and win championships; elite runners get some oohs and ahhs and then either get injured or flame out on their own.

In my opinion, although I don't know the dude personally, it seems like he struggled to embrace his unique abilities, often fighting against them to fit the traditional mold of what some believe a quarterback should be. It's important to strive for improvement and not rely solely on one strength, but also not to lose sight of what makes you great.

I'm pleased that Jayden Daniels looks up to quarterbacks who played the game similarly to him and possessed similar abilities, while also appreciating pocket passers and wanting to learn from them. Daniels appears to embrace being called a running QB or dual-threat guy and actually leans into it, even expressing his desire to break all the QB rushing records. Be yourself, be bold.

He should never strive to be Tom Brady in the pocket. Instead, he should view the game through his own perspective, align it with his unique skills and abilities, and then attack the opponent accordingly.

20 hours ago, mistertim said:

RG3's problem was his diva attitude and that he simply didn't seem to have the requisite study habits or inherent drive to truly mold himself into an upper echelon passer.

He was never going to be a pocket passer, and that was a mistake on his part, in my opinion. 

Trailblazer

Edited by wit33
  • Like 3

If Jayden Daniels fashions his career after Randall Cunningham, I'd be happy. RC was a dual threat who was always tough to play against. Be a proficient passer and run when it calls for it. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, woodpecker said:

The main reason a lot of us were hesitant to believe, is about his ability to withstand hits in the NFL. And we still have no idea how that’s going to go. But still, it’s great to hear all of the positive signs about his play and leadership, and I hope you get to continue taking your victory lap about him for years to come! I am definitely convinced at this point that we made the right pick, and just hoping he stays healthy like I would any player.

Cheers and that’s a valid worry absolutely. I’m sure my hyping of him has been a tad annoying but I’m just genuinely excited he ended up with us. There are plenty of LSU players that I won’t defend or hype, trust me. LSU was a graveyard for QBs for the longest time so between that and the Skins, I knew bad QB play when I saw it. And now I’ve been blessed with witnessing Burrow and Jayden QB my Tigers since 2018 and I know a franchise QB when I see one. Jayden is going to be the one we have been searching for. I’m just but an alum and fan, but am just trying to get everyone believing and as hyped as I am for what we are about to witness.

I could be a bit more tactful in my approach I’m sure, but it’s not some LSU homerism here…I watched the games and saw the jump he made and the work he put in to have that record breaking season last year. There are plenty of players that have that 2-3 games where they look unstoppable and you’re thinking man if they ever put it all together, watch out. And I’d say 95 percent of them never do. Well…Jayden did. He’s going to be the hardest worker and that type of tenacity, work ethic, and ability (and eventually on field performance) is what you envision with your franchise QB. He’s going to help usher in a new high standard that hopefully changes the trajectory for this franchise for years to come. I’m allowing myself to get stoked because this is a dream scenario for me. It’s like getting a second chance after missing out on Burrow. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

In my opinion, although I don't know the dude personally, it seems like he struggled to embrace his unique abilities, often fighting against them to fit the traditional mold of what some believe a quarterback should be. It's important to strive for improvement and not rely solely on one strength, but also not to lose sight of what makes you great.

I'm pleased that Jayden Daniels looks up to quarterbacks who played the game similarly to him and possessed similar abilities, while also appreciating pocket passers and wanting to learn from them. Daniels appears to embrace being called a running QB or dual-threat guy and actually leans into it, even expressing his desire to break all the QB rushing records. Be yourself, be bold.

He should never strive to be Tom Brady in the pocket. Instead, he should view the game through his own perspective, align it with his unique skills and abilities, and then attack the opponent accordingly.

He was never going to be a pocket passer, and that was a mistake on his part, in my opinion. 

Trailblazer

How is running for 815 yards struggling to embrace his abilities? RG3 ran a ton his rookie year. And got hurt running. So he wanted to be a better pocket passer (which was good), but IMO he didn't have all of the requisite qualities as far as study habits, etc. in order to actually do that.

And you've been saying this "trailblazer" thing for a long time about running QBs in general and you seem to live in some alternate reality where the league is inexorably headed in that direction. And every year we see a new flash in the pan running QB come along and either get hurt or do nothing. And every year it's still the elite passers who win championships, not the runners.

And who said Tom Brady? Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, and Allen are all pocket passers first, but can pick up yards with their legs if need be.

I really hope Daniels uses his running ability tactically vs. as a crutch. Because with his frame he's only going to be able to take so much abuse from hits.

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

RG3 ran a ton his rookie year. And got hurt running. So he wanted to be a better pocket passer (which was good), but IMO he didn't have all of the requisite qualities as far as study habits, etc. in order to actually do that

RG3 wasn't very good at reading defenses. I believe his study habits were a big part of that. I don't see JD having that problem. He seems like a real student of the game.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Nah, him throwing and practicing well in OTAs isnt why the team rallied behind him.  Everyone has their own stuff to focus on, his individual performances in these camps just aren't that meaningful.  It absolutely would not prevent the team from getting behind him if he were struggling in the practices.  Everyone knows that these things are about finding limits and installing new concepts, working on weak areas or developing new skills, knocking off rust, so on and so forth.  All that really matters at this stage are the intangibles Jayden shows his teammates and coaches.  Does he have a mature approach to preparation and being a pro?  Is he poised and does he seem like he belongs in the job?  Is he a natural leader?  These are the meaningful qualities that JD has demonstrated, and they would be there even if he was struggling to hit throws and make reads and execute new installations. But even still, you can only extrapolate a little about prospects in camps.  Some guys look like seasoned pros right off the bat, but eventually can't keep up with the grind of an NFL season or continuously grow and expand like the best players do.

I just don’t agree at all. They may say they are behind him, and you’re correct that all of the traits above are very important to get buy off from veterans. But if he came out looking like poo poo mcgoo and seemed lost executing the offense you’d better bet deep down the team, coaches, and executives are holding their breath hoping like hell the light bulb goes off. There would be a feeling of “here we go again” as opposed to “we got a dude at QB”. 

It’s not the be all end all. There’s a lot left to go and it could go any direction from here. But to act like playing well off the bat isn’t important and ONLY showing up early is, is not something I believe to be true. It’s a mixture of both. 

19 minutes ago, TurningTheCorner said:

I just don’t agree at all. They may say they are behind him, and you’re correct that all of the traits above are very important to get buy off from veterans. But if he came out looking like poo poo mcgoo and seemed lost executing the offense you’d better bet deep down the team, coaches, and executives are holding their breath hoping like hell the light bulb goes off. There would be a feeling of “here we go again” as opposed to “we got a dude at QB”. 

It’s not the be all end all. There’s a lot left to go and it could go any direction from here. But to act like playing well off the bat isn’t important and ONLY showing up early is, is not something I believe to be true. It’s a mixture of both. 

This is silly. Every single veteran player, regardless of position, knows how hard it can be to adapt to the NFL...especially at QB. If Daniels were to struggle, any teammate who didn't get behind him or acted like a jerk would likely be shunned by the rest of the group.

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

This is silly. Every single veteran player, regardless of position, knows how hard it can be to adapt to the NFL...especially at QB.

I just walked you into why looking good off the bat actually means something. How can the above be true, and then also believe that none of it matters?

The seamless transition to practicing in the pros does not guarantee professional success. But in a league that’s hard to adapt to (your words not mine), it does carry some weight. Which contradicts the notion that off season performance doesn’t matter at all. I can’t believe you and GC are digging in that hard. It almost seems like a way to protect pre draft convictions.

@Going Commando acted pre draft like taking JD over Maye was the equivalent of passing on Carmelo for Darko and would set this franchise back for years. Maybe it stings just a bit that he came out and captured the level of buzz he already has? Some due to his performance in OTAs?! 

• Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, TurningTheCorner said:

I just walked you into why looking good off the bat actually means something. How can the above be true, and then also believe that none of it matters?

The seamless transition to practicing in the pros does not guarantee professional success. But in a league that’s hard to adapt to (your words not mine), it does carry some weight. Which contradicts the notion that off season performance doesn’t matter at all. I can’t believe you and GC are digging in that hard. It almost seems like a way to protect pre draft convictions.

@Going Commando acted pre draft like taking JD over Maye was the equivalent of passing on Carmelo for Darko and would set this franchise back for years. Maybe it stings just a bit that he came out and captured the level of buzz he already has? Some due to his performance in OTAs?! 

Good Lord.  What this actually reads like is you getting hyper defensive over being wrong, and reaching about JD having some nice days in practice to convince yourself he was the right call.  How is this different from Drake Maye's OTA hype train btw?  Who cares?   These are practices where they run 12 snaps and then do a bunch of drills.  JD could have come out and bombed them and it wouldn't have made any difference.  He could bomb training camp and preseason and it still wouldn't matter at all.  Just to reiterate, Mahomes bombed his first TC as the starter.  Threw a ton of picks and spooked the media guys covering camp.  Do you really think his teammates and coaches lost faith in him over that crap?  They understand the meaning of these practices better than anyone.  The only things that matter to them are if the player is putting in the work and behaving like a leader.

2 hours ago, TurningTheCorner said:

You didn't walk anyone into anything. You just really like watching yourself preen into the mirror.

They can both be true precisely because the veteran players know that specific performance in these camps doesn't really mean much for rookies. They've been around the league, many them on several teams. They've seen plenty of rookie QBs, some of whom looked bad in camp and went on to be fine, some of whom looked good in camp and went on to do nothing.

Is he struggling? No problem, we got his back. Is he playing well? Great, we'll tell him to keep it up.

I left the rest of this post out because it was mostly just you sounding like a jackass as well as randomly deciding to bring @Going Commando into it for some reason.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Good Lord.  What this actually reads like is you getting hyper defensive over being wrong, and reaching about JD having some nice days in practice to convince yourself he was the right call.  How is this different from Drake Maye's OTA hype train btw?  Who cares?   These are practices where they run 12 snaps and then do a bunch of drills.  JD could have come out and bombed them and it wouldn't have made any difference.  He could bomb training camp and preseason and it still wouldn't matter at all.  Just to reiterate, Mahomes bombed his first TC as the starter.  Threw a ton of picks and spooked the media guys covering camp.  Do you really think his teammates and coaches lost faith in him over that crap?  They understand the meaning of these practices better than anyone.  The only things that matter to them are if the player is putting in the work and behaving like a leader.

Wrong about what? Nothing has played out yet… what could I possibly be wrong about at this current juncture? I feel no need to “reach” for anything when the buzz is all positive. It’s nice to read though and it does matter in his journey to becoming our franchise QB. Maye was a great prospect in his own right, I would have been fine with him being the pick. There’s one person reaching here to make themselves feel better about the fact they thought daniels over maye was buffoonery even though quite literally the entire league felt otherwise. 

Read into the Mahomes stuff a bit more btw. No one is saying that throwing picks in practice means he’s going to suck and looking good equals greatness forever. Stop insinuating that’s what I’m saying. Even with all the picks Mahomes threw, he was flashing tremendous potential. And those picks were a direct result of Reid instructing him to get a feel for what he could get away with vs not. That’s not some example of having a crappy camp and why all of this means nothing. 

Edited by TurningTheCorner
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, mistertim said:

You didn't walk anyone into anything. You just really like watching yourself preen into the mirror.

They can both be true precisely because the veteran players know that specific performance in these camps doesn't really mean much for rookies. They've been around the league, many them on several teams. They've seen plenty of rookie QBs, some of whom looked bad in camp and went on to be fine, some of whom looked good in camp and went on to do nothing.

Is he struggling? No problem, we got his back. Is he playing well? Great, we'll tell him to keep it up.

I left the rest of this post out because it was mostly just you sounding like a jackass as well as randomly deciding to bring @Going Commando into it for some reason.

Let’s go ahead and table this one. I can’t continue to engage when you’re talking out both sides.

I mean you literally are writing out how hard it can be to transition to the pros and then throwing all of the positives in the trash can as meaning nothing when it comes to Jayden’s seemingly smooth transition to the pros. It quite honestly makes zero sense you can’t acknowledge it IS in fact meaningful for him to perform well early to gain the confidence of himself, his teammates, and this QB starved city. It’s not the be all end all. It doesn’t guarantee anything. If he looked terrible, it wouldn’t guarantee he would suck forever. No one is saying those things. But hitting the ground running shouldn’t just be tossed aside, and it’s pretty wild you’re going through the depths to argue otherwise. Feel free to reply but I’m tapping out on this one. Good day.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, TurningTheCorner said:

Let’s go ahead and table this one. I can’t continue to engage when you’re talking out both sides.

I mean you literally are writing out how hard it can be to transition to the pros and then throwing all of the positives in the trash can as meaning nothing when it comes to Jayden’s seemingly smooth transition to the pros. It quite honestly makes zero sense you can’t acknowledge it IS in fact meaningful for him to perform well early to gain the confidence of himself, his teammates, and this QB starved city. It’s not the be all end all. It doesn’t guarantee anything. If he looked terrible, it wouldn’t guarantee he would suck forever. No one is saying those things. But hitting the ground running shouldn’t just be tossed aside, and it’s pretty wild you’re going through the depths to argue otherwise. Feel free to reply but I’m tapping out on this one. Good day.

:ols: 

"Let's go ahead and table this one"

*proceeds to not be able to help himself and responds anyway*

Yeah, you completely ignored what I said in the post you quoted. So we're definitely done here. Feel free to not respond, because I won't anymore either.

Edited by mistertim

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

I do enjoy when new posters come in and immediately start picking fights with multiple people. Always good entertainment.

They're like wrecking balls made entirely out of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

• Haha 1

If Dotson has a good year, I believe that Jayden will win ROY. Tmac will get his 1000+ like he always does, Ertz will be a great 3rd down target that will help extend drives. And Ekler should allow for lots of easy pitch and catch type throws out of the backfield. Jayden, barring any type of injury will most likely be a top 3 rushing qb in the league in both yardage and Tds. I haven’t been this excited since 2012. I definitely feel we made the right pick of QBs, and though JDs skinny frame does concern me, I’m not going to let it worry me unless something happens once games are being played to show me that it’ll be an issue, because it certainly wasn’t in college.

The most important part to me right now is that he seems to have an incredible work ethic. From what I'm reading he is exactly what I want in a QB. Focused on football and not his brand. Now if he skips OTAs next year and is hanging out in Miami, I will lose my ****.

He is starting out on the right foot in my book. 

Welcome JD. Stay healthy my friend!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

May be an image of 1 person, playing football and text that says 'BEARS GM 365 @GM_Sports365 Caleb Williams benched in OTA's after 7 consecutive interceptions.. he did not complete a single pass in 7v7's'

While this report was a bit of an exaggeration, it seems that Caleb and the Bears offense under his leadership faired far more poorly than was initially reported.

Here's a related article on the subject...

REPORT: Chicago Bears QB Caleb Williams’ led offense struggled to get plays off during practice

The Chicago Bears’ offense reportedly looked worse than what was initially presented to fans following Thursday’s practice. Rookie quarterback Caleb Williams completed about a handful of passes during 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 periods Thursday.

Safety Kevin Byard told the media following the practice that the Bears’ offense looked good on Day 1, but the defense has brought the fire since. So, while the Bears’ offense has the excuse that they’re learning a new system, they shouldn’t have regressed so dramatically since Day 1.

Before the start of rookie minicamp, Williams made a point to brag that he understood the playbook enough to “teach” his offensive teammates during practice:

“[I’m] diving into the playbook, getting to a point where there are certain things that I can teach some of the guys that they’re not understanding, that I may understand,” Williams said. “Being able to teach is always big because it’s also another way for you to learn, and it also shows you how much that you know.”

The Chicago Bears offense couldn’t get plays off at practice Thursday

According to Jon Greenberg with The Athletic, the Bears offense was so behind in the playbook that they were unable to line up correctly or get plays off in time. Some of Williams’ struggles during the team period were because he was under constant duress and his wide receivers were unable to get open:

"When we watched the red zone drills, Williams was constantly under pressure while his receivers (which didn’t include Rome Odunze or Keenan Allen) tried to get open. There were a few just-missed interceptions...

Sometimes, Williams couldn’t even get passes off as the secondary used its space advantage in the red zone to shut down receivers. We saw a lot of screen passes, many of which turned into scores. Occasionally, the offense struggled to line up or get a play off."

Struggling to line up and being unable to get a play off means the Bears offense, Williams included, have more to memorize from offensive coordinator Shane Waldron’s playbook.

One more point, those types of issues have less to do with a defense that is coming off of a “hot streak” to end the season and has more to do with an offense that is bad right now...

https://www.chicitysports.com/caleb-williams-struggled-plays-chicago-bears

XXXXXXX

When you consider how well Jayden has reportedly played at OTAs, up until now, and his generally humble demeanor compared to Caleb's braggadocious attitude it makes the Bears decision not to even bother  interviewing any other prospective rookie quarterback all the more questionable.

The Bears had the arrogant attitude that Caleb Williams was so much better than the other rookie qbs that there was no reason to even entertain the thought of drafting anyone else.

As a talking head on tv, overconfidence can be seen as a virtue.

However, as a football organization, overconfidence is foolish, unnecessarily reckless,  and potentially hazardous to one's career.

If Caleb turns into a bust, and Jayden and/or May turn into studs there will be an accounting-- and careers will be in the offing.

If Williams continues to have serious difficulties adjusting to the rigors of the NFL it will be one very  interesting summer.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That Caleb situation looks like a clear example of how, on a team level, understanding and proper execution of the playbook leads to better and more productive practices.

Can't learn to much when you are struggling to even line up and can't get a play off. Makes your film review messy too as there is less quality to review. Gotta spend more time figuring out how to make an individual play successful vs learning the little things to make an already successful play more effective.

Give me clean practices with strong understanding of the principles any day. That stuff really matters, even in June.

JD being a study hound is paying off early.

• Like 1