Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Agreed.

On one hand, I agree they shoulda told Kirk they planned to draft a QB BEFORE he signed a 4 year deal.

Same time he's 35 years old coming off an Achilles injury.

What did he think the Falcons were gonna do? 

This looks like a contract that doesn't seem too painful to get out of in two years, did he read it?

https://overthecap.com/player/kirk-cousins/1443

Kirk isn’t going to do them any favors and he never will. He has made that clear to every team in the league. They don’t owe him anything and they can’t give him more leverage by telling him their plans for his replacement. Over communication with him before he is signed only makes him more expensive. 

This is what happens when you act like a mercenary for hire and show literally zero loyalty to anyone. He did it to himself. 

• Like 7
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Kirk isn’t going to do them any favors and he never will. He has made that clear to every team in the league. They don’t owe him anything and they can’t give him more leverage by telling him their plans for his replacement. Over communication with him before he is signed only makes him more expensive. 

This is what happens when you act like a mercenary for hire and show literally zero loyalty to anyone. He did it to himself. 

I agree **** Kirk

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Responding to you here, only reason this might be our problem is because we play Atlanta this year:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Because you didnt add a damn thing that helps your team for 2 or 3 years. Thats why. 

And paid $100,000,000.  That's a lot of zeroes not to pair it with Rome Odunze or any other force multiplier.  Literally *any* position other than QB would've improved the team they're spending a tenth of a BILLION $ on for one guy.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Kirk is a genius for getting these contracts and making himself a very, very rich man. He’s a solid QB but he will never win you a Super Bowl which should always be the goal. I like Penix learning under Kirk I think that’s really smart considering Penix is injury prone. So I get what they are doing but I’m so happy we never fell for the Kirk Cousins monster contract.Other than rehiring Gibbs, this is the smartest move Dan Snyder made. Even he realized Kirk isn’t a big time baller. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, RWJ said:

J98, how about you give our 1st year GM Adam Peters, F.O., DQ and coaching staff and Ownership a year before you judge this as being a poor draft.  Sound reasonable to you?  :)  

Did I literally not say in the first line that I'm not judging it? lol That's why they play the games. I'm purely just talking about it from a personal excitement level coming out of the draft. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not predicting the careers of these guys.

Having said that, people only say dont judge it when they think they did a good job.  Cuz there's no shortage of "it was an awesome draft and they did a good job" posts out here.  That judging is OK, I guess.  

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Did I literally not say in the first line that I'm not judging it? lol I'm just talking about it from a personal excitement level coming out of the draft. I'm not predicting the future.

Having said that, people only say dont judge it when they think they did a good job.  Cuz there's no shortage of "it was an awesome draft and they did a good job" posts out here.  That judging is OK, I guess.  

The lowest grade I've seen for our draft so far has been a B+. I've seen lots of A's, A-'s and A+'s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Athletic freaks is a common theme in many of our picks, some of the UDFA too.

They sure what to build a wrecking crew on defense.

And when the athletic freaks got control they're unstoppable ;). I can't wait to see them playing.

maxresdefault.jpg

bell-ring-flex.gif

Jingle Bells, jingle Bells........ :)

Edited by FrFan

• kiper-jr_mel.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Mel Kiper Jr., Football analyst     Apr 28, 2024, 03:50 AM

Washington Commanders: A-

Top needs entering the draft: Quarterback, offensive line, cornerback

The Commanders have undergone a total reset of their franchise over the past year, with a new owner (Josh Harris), general manager (Adam Peters) and coach (Dan Quinn). Peters, who had been in the 49ers' front office since 2017, had some capital to work with in this draft, with six picks on the first two days.

The first step, though? Picking a quarterback. With 2023 starter Sam Howell traded to Seattle, Washington had its choice of Jayden Daniels, Drake Maye and J.J. McCarthy at No. 2 overall. In my rankings, I had Daniels at No. 2, slightly ahead of Maye -- No. 6 -- with McCarthy nine spots later. In the end, the Commanders went with Daniels, a dual-threat playmaker who won the Heisman Trophy last season, and it was the right call. While he won't have quite the level of pass-catchers around him as Caleb Williams, Daniels has a true No. 1 in Terry McLaurin and a solid No. 2 in Jahan Dotson. Daniels is going to thrive in Kliff Kingsbury's wide-open offense and put up some massive numbers.

I wrote on Friday night about Washington's Day 2 haul, which is talented and deep. Taking defensive tackle Jer'Zhan Newton (36) is an example of the best-available-prospect approach; he has Pro Bowl upside as an interior pass-rusher. Mike Sainristil (50) is a really fun slot corner who can pick off passes and blitz off the edge. Tight end Ben Sinnott (53) can be an outlet for Daniels and upgrade as a run-blocker. Brandon Coleman (67) is a guard/tackle hybrid who could play early. And while I had other available receivers rated higher than Luke McCaffrey (100), the former quarterback turned heads with his contested-catch ability last season. Of the Day 3 fliers, I give linebacker Jordan Magee (139) the best chance to make the team because of his speed and size.

I really like this class overall, and whether it goes from great to amazing could hinge on Coleman becoming a starter. If he does and Daniels is a star, this could set the foundation for the Commanders returning to the playoffs -- in a couple of years.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 2

Thought we had a great draft. Newton (though probably not a need) and Sainristil look like they might be steals considering where we got them and I think Sinnott is going to be an immediate factor in Kingsbury's offense.

I said a bunch of pages back how I don't like the Daniels pick, but obviously am going to root like hell for him. I remain dubious about him having a productive, long career, but after watching his introductory press conference, I really like the kid. He seems to be more humble than I thought and he sold me on he's a team guy and is going to come in and work his ass off. 

Obviously, you can't rate a draft for a couple of years, but I think Peters was really good and our team is a lot better right now than they were at 8:00 PM Thursday night.

• Like 1

So we have a Luke and a Ben… both receivers. 

Luke and Ben, folks… the nickname writes itself.

Star Wars. The Force. 

Boom. Yahtzee.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

This dude apparently thinks we did worse in this year's draft than we did in last year's draft...and blames our drafting of Daniels at #2.

Good thing it’s a familiar argument lol

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

There's always a potential reason to deal a guy, especially with new management coming in. Sometimes new management tears everything down and brings in all of their own guys although that doesn't seem to be the case here. Besides that, Jonathon Allen is heading into his 8th year and the prime time to deal him to a contender is likely right around now, especially after the draft pick of Newton? If dealing Allen can land us an Aiyuk or Deebo Samuel that might be a deal that Peters is very intrigued by? You can also take the money you would've owed Allen to pay Aiyuk or Deebo.....makes sense to me. 

So I get that people like Aiyuk.  Deebo has been a huge injury Concern, and both are SLot receivers if I recall correctly?

I get before draft wanting them, but we drafted luke and signed an UDFA. S lot is not that hard to fill.

I think the team has far more experience at looking at things in this regime, and I think the historic nature of our collapse on O and D made it really hard to evaluate many, many players.

Also, Kevin S pointed out that while we may have felt like we lead the league in sacks the O line was far from the worst in the league last year.  (Yet we lost a piece or two)

We have reasons for concern.

I think we need to take a wait and see and not get  too bent out of shape.

This team may change a lot this year and next.

So…

I foresee some 3-4 sets in our future.

Magee - Allen-Payne-Newton - Davis

Luvu - Wagner

Forbes-Forrest-Quan-Juste

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So…

I foresee some 3-4 sets in our future.

Magee - Allen-Payne-Newton - Davis

Luvu - Wagner

Forbes-Forrest-Quan-Juste

Yeah the potential of 3-4 has already been telegraphed some even before this

But considering they can put 3 DTS studs and they have a zillon LBs includng some who can pass rush feels like a given.

I got to watch Magee today at some point.  8 sacks in college with a 90 plus pass rushing grade -- feels profile wise like a LB we liked last year Ivan Pace.

We've gone from a regime who didn't seem to give a rats behind about LB aside from the Jamin pick to one obsessed with adding depth and players to that spot.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2