Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

As an All-Time Great ES thread stated: **** the Cowboys.

While they will certainly suffer for that strategy this season, next year they could be in line for a serious compensatory draft pick payday.

Given their cap situation and the probability that they will soon have to extend Dak’s contract and resign Parsons among others this is probably their best chess move.

Armstrong has more sacks in his last two seasons than Sweat did in his prior 2 (pre-last season when he had a career year).   Luvu was one of the best pass rushing LBs in the league.

I think the pass rush could be better than the current look but i don't expect it to be bad especially with Quinn as a head coach who is famous for getting the best out of his D line.  the D line specifically is his wheel house. 

Just the season before with basically the same lineup aside from Sweat was ranked 3rd in the league.

I don't buy the #3 run was a total mirage and this defense really sucks.  Among other things Payne and Allen had off years.  I do think piss poor coaching has a lot to do with the demise of the defense.  The talent level if anything was upgraded, in theory at least from the previous year when they ranked 3.  Yet they oddly fell off a cliff.

Quinn inherited a bad Dallas defense and made it good within season 1.  I got high hopes for the same with this defense.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 10

6 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Our edge rotation isn't good, but it should be passable for a year.  None of our edges except maybe Ferrell are starting caliber, much less Probowlers like the players we've had on our line every year since 2008.  We're going to need Allen and Payne to do the heavy lifting on the pass rush, and blitz Jamin and Luvu a ton in order to generate consistent pressure.

I'm worried about our ability to stop the run.  Luvu should help there, and hopefully Chinn has a bounce back season after two where he struggled.  And hopefully Jamin comes back healthy and plays well.  But we are still pretty thin in the middle.  The truth is we're rebuilding one of the worst defenses in the NFL and it's going to take significant resources to get them championship caliber.  We're not going to be able to get it done this off-season.  Our first priority is to bring in a QB and build a proper offense around him so we can develop him, and the defense will likely suffer for it in the short term.

I agree with your first point; we don’t have true pass rushers (maybe Fowler). But literally every player we signed improved our run defense. It’s a huge strength of Ferrell, Chin, and Luvu. Not sure about Armstrong.

The defense will be at least average.

• Thanks 1

Just now, CommanderInTheRye said:

While they will certainly suffer for that strategy this season, next year they could be in line for a serious compensatory draft pick payday.

Given their cap situation and the probability that they will soon have to extend Dak’s contract and resign Parsons among others this is probably their best chess move.

They are going to become a very top-heavy roster. They have to pay CeeDee Lamb as well. He gonna be 'spensive.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Smith will likely make it a 4th (maybe 3rd).  So you're not wrong.

image.png.fa4d700bcf4a58443d4630f431140e58.png

• Thumb up 1

32 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

My hope now is we hold Howell until preseason and trade him for a 2025 2nd or 3rd when a team has a QB injury.

That's a good option. We keep hearing you have to take a shot at the QB if he is their. 50/50 Do you get the QB that started the season or second half of the season? You have to take your shot a QB because you cannot win without one. They also can come from anywhere too. New coaches, a year under his belt,...... We do not know?

Edited by skinsfan66

16 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Then why did you just add a Vet back up and have 2 on the team?

Howell might be gone, at best, but Mariota is no better then a break in case of emergency veteran.  He's not a starter until the rookie takes his job type at this point in his career, no indication whatsoever that's the plan. 

Because it'd be a terrible one having him as week 1 starter.  We more likely to cut Mariota and keep Howell and Maye then have a true open competition, you don't redshirt a #2 overall pick at QB in 2024. 

The #2 pick last year started week 1 and took his team to 2nd round of the playoffs, the bar has been raised.  They better not draft a project at #2.

Edited by Renegade7

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I'm going to mildly dispute this because we don't know what the new coaches will be able to get out of guys like KJ Henry, Toohill, Smith-Williams, etc.....Henry looks like he could be a starting caliber DE based on the small sample size we saw. You may be right in the end but I think Armstrong is a quality starting DE and one or two of these others could step up too. 

We're going to have to start Dorance because of a lack of better options, but he's a rotational edge who has never played more than 540 snaps in a season before.  Toohill and JSW are UFAs and might not be here this year, but neither are starting caliber anyway.

In the middle, our only back ups are Ridgeway and Mathis.  I have doubts that Mathis makes the roster, and Ridgeway is pretty bad.  The depth in the interior is basically gone, and we're going to be in a position where an Allen or Payne injury kills us if we don't do something about it.

17 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I wish we'd been able to deepen our IDL rotation too, because I'm not convinced our backups can make the roster next year.  But we can still get someone really good in the draft, where the second round is going to be a sweet spot for the position.

Ridgeway came from the Cowboys. They liked him enough they kept only one QB on the roster. DQ will keep him around

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Ridgeway came from the Cowboys. They liked him enough they kept only one QB on the roster. DQ will keep him around

Yeah I assumed Ridgeway would be our backup. I thought he was ok here.

Edited by seantaylor=god

11 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Not sure about Armstrong.

Armstrong is someone I vaguely remember coming out of Kansas. I believe I liked him. He's not an athletic freak type but I think he is someone that is capable of surprising us with his play. 

16 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I agree with your first point; we don’t have true pass rushers (maybe Fowler). But literally every player we signed improved our run defense. It’s a huge strength of Ferrell, Chin, and Luvu. Not sure about Armstrong.

Some might recall but many of us used to goof on Dallas for having bad defenses.  Then Quinn got there and they within season 1 got really good and became a better defense than what we had.

All this FA activity reminds me some of Gregg Williams when he got here also inherting a bad defense and also turning it around in one season.

The unique thing about this situaton is this defense isn't like a constant problem like Dallas' defense was back then.  In 2022, Washington had one of the better defenses in the league. 

Then in 2023, it blew up oddly after they focused on adding defense in the draft which made the fall look even more strange.   And it sucked with Chase and Sweat in the lineup.

Only fundamental changes from the 2022 #3 defense to 2023 was Chase 'Young was back and Quan Martin and Forbes was added.   Yet that whole season stunk.  As a WP reporter said it was palpable how demoralized that team was after the loss to the Bears or the rest of the season.  No energy.  Heck team officials leaked to the WP that the team wasn't inspired-motivated last year.  The whole thing was a coaching debacle.  Heck the players rated Ron as the 2nd worst coach in the NFL when they did the NFL surveys last year -- those results came out weeks ago.

With Quinn inspired to make his 2nd stint work.  One of the beat guys mentioned he's always at Commanders Park, sometimes arriving at 5 am and this is in the off season.  Whitt supposedly is one of the best teachers of the secondary.  And them going on a spree that reminds me some of the Gregg Williams year 1 spree when he arrived.  I think they will get this defense going again and fast.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Howell might be gone, at best, but Mariota is no better then a break in case of emergency veteran.  He's not a starter until the rookie takes his job type at this point in his career, no indication whatsoever that's the plan. 

Because it'd be a terrible one having him as week 1 starter.  We more likely to cut Mariota and keep Howell and Maye then have a true open competition, you don't redshirt a #2 overall pick at QB in 2024. 

The #2 pick last year started week 1 and took his team to 2nd round of the playoffs, the bar has been raised.  They better not draft a project at #2.

Some times you do redshirt or sit a while depends on the Player. Would hope he is a hit and not a miss. One other and the top pick won 2 games. Wish he would come out of the gate running like Stroud? I like Howell as the back up agree with most of what you are saying. I like open comp for all.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

That's a good option. We keep hearing you have to take a shot at the QB if he is their. 50/50 Do you get the QB first of the season or second? You have to take your shot a QB because you cannot win without one. They also can come from anywhere too. New coaches, a year under his belt,...... We do not know?

You get the QB at the first opportunity that you can, because the opportunity is rare. You can’t just plan to get him in the second offseason and have it happen.

They do not come from anywhere. They overwhelmingly come from the top of the 1st round, and all analytics bear that out. The fact that you can name all of the exceptions is why they are exceptions.

Also you quoted someone saying to trade Howell after preseason and somehow misread it as a post supporting keeping Howell as the potential franchise QB. The definition of seeing what you want to see lol

Edited by Conn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, profusion said:

Am I crazy for thinking the opposing QBs won't have 10 seconds to throw on every play next season?

No you are not. But what is wild is the pressure will be coming from everywhere. Quinn wont be relying on just the front 4 to bring it. Opposing QB's are gonna get rocked when they play us. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Pokes fans are depressed, they're talking about how to get rid of Dak, trading him to the Bears, trading Parsons too !

"LOL. And then they praise Philly for spending a ton and filling holes.

This is a joke analysis. With each passing hour the Cowboys slide further and further into loser status."

Edit : "Washington Cowboys’‘

Edited by FrFan
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

No you are not. But what is wild is the pressure will be coming from everywhere. Quinn wont be relying on just the front 4 to bring it. Opposing QB's are gonna get rocked when they play us. 

As to his scheme by reputation its not that he blitzes a ton.  But he moves guys around.  Stunts.  Fakes pressure.  Brings pressure. It can come from any direction.  And is great at finding mismatches.   Keeps offenses guessing.   JDR's defense was basically line up in front of your guy and beat them.  Not much imagination.

And this isn't just being jazzed about new coaches-new beginnings, etc.  I got some concerns about the offense.  But Quinn is a master as to the defense and specifically a master at bringing pressure.  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

Move up into the first round for an LT is the move I would make. Package one of the seconds with another pick. And try to sign T Smith to a 1 yr contract if he’ll do it. Jonah Williams really seems like a desperation play that won’t work.

I actually wouldnt hate Williams as a swing tackle. But he wont do that. And I hope that's what Wiley eventually ends up being for us. I would cot count out resigning Leno once the results of his surgery come out either. They couldnt pay him 15 Mill plus with his age and that injury. But if he comes out healthy they may be able to resign him for less. 

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That is just incredible cap management by Peters and our cap gurus. 

Plus, with all of the 1 year contracts, it preserves our flexibility next year when we should be in position to do some playoff damage.

Love this new regime!

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Luvu is the only significant near term upgrade to the run D.  I agree that run defense is the thing that Ferrell does well, but he's a 400 snap rotation player.  He doesn't really upgrade your run D a ton.  Chinn is a flyer taken in the hopes he can get back to where he was two years ago, not really a serious attempt to upgrade the run defense either.

We had one of the worst run defenses in the NFL last season.  It's going to take a lot more than Frankie Luvu and a couple of rotation caliber edges to get them to being average.  Especially since right now we're going to have to play Payne and Allen like 900 snaps each.  Eventually we're going to have to throw some expensive resources at the group and bring in high end starters at DL, LB, and inside DB.