Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd, Ahmed

CapsSkins

1 hour ago, sinews said:

There's your veteran presence in the QB room. Feels like a player Kliff may have wanted. 

Or familiar with his offense more then Sam or someone not even in the NFL yet...folks need to chill...

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Herbert...herbert is a comp for Maye.

May is a month.  May...may...May the Force be with you.  Force...Force from Star Wars...Star Wars...the first movie was A New Hope...Hope...Hope is a dangerous thing...Danger...Danger...Dangerzone.  Dangerzone was the theme song of Top Gun...Top Gun...was about the F-14 Tomcat...Tomcat...Tomcat is a cat like a Tiger.  Tigers are LSU's mascot!

Us signing Ekeler means we're drafting LSU QB Jayden Daniels!  I cracked the code!

Yeah but what does this have to do with McManus and Mariota? What if Jayden’s favorite candy is m and m’s and somehow we end up getting the guy that likes sour candy?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

He’s the dog of war. Probably PTSD. He remembers when he was running around barking at the bullets whizzing by. 

Strawberry agrees

image.gif.b480ad025c1c759045cd2aac3f113efa.gifimage.gif.0a3924599e4f55d73a4f1911dd20d0bb.gif

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like the story and would like to see what he could do with this team.

That being said, if they won't play him and can get a 4th or more (with a GM known for mid-late drafting chops), I do start to be enticed.

Something like 2024 4th, with 2025 6th that becomes a 2025 4th with x starts.  Ok, got me thinking...

• Like 2

If i was one of the many rudderless NFL franchises constantly failing to find a QB I would absolutely throw a 4th round dart at Sam and make a small bet that his failures were tied to this orgs off the chart dysfunction. As if our inability to grade retain stud offensive coaches wasn't proof enough, our recent coaches are unemployed, relegated to spot speaking engagements, or college gigs; all the while our new regime has to build an OL from scratch.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Pains me to see every year GMs think its imperative to bring in a failed QB to show the greenhorns how to fail under the guise that it is providing stability or whatever. I would rather have a former QB as an OC assistant type or QB coach to mentor...

Seems like a waste of 5M to me.  I'd rather go with rookie - 3rd year QBs as backups and tank vs Mariota pressed into duty and eek us to mediocrity and a ****ty draft pick.

When you draft a franchise QB, you don’t need to fear stumbling into a wildcard spot or something bc you’re always trying to build up. You don’t want to bottom out unless the dude tears an ACL or something. If your young franchise QB only misses a few weeks, you want the backup to be able to shepherd you to mediocrity until he’s back, if playoffs are realistic. 

We need to adjust how we think now that we’ll have a #2 overall QB. Every loss is no longer a sign that we should be fully tanking lol, you want to be able to stay afloat until your franchise guy is back. When you actually have a talented QB, any year is the year you could make a run in the playoffs 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I think we should have a contest. Which prolific poster is down on a player/coach most:

VOR: Jay Gruden

@Skinsinparadise: Sam Darnold

@Koolblue13 :Eric Biennemy

@Koolblue13: Wylie (I couldn't choose one....)

@88Comrade2000: Ron Rivera

:P

Serious note: They have the Eagles OC on the staff. Mariota was the backup QB for the Eagles last year.  If Brian Johnson had one bit of concern about his ability to be a backup, he wouldn't be here.  

QBs get the headlines.  But he's a backup QB.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.  He will become the story line for no reason.

Also, getting Mariota does squat for the draft.  We're sticking at 2 and picking a QB.  My belief is it will be Maye.  It might be Daniels.  It won't be McCarthy.  Nothing that happens with Howell or Mariota is going to change that.

Also, if you're reading the tea leaves, they singed a veteran center and a veteran 3rd down back.  This is what you do when you are going to draft a rookie QB.  You put smart veterans around them to help with protection.  

Anybody who's got their blood pressure up over anything to do with Mariota, take an edible and calm down.  It's a backup QB and means almost nothing in the long term. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Or familiar with his offense more then Sam 

How is Mariota familiar at all with Kingsbury's offense? He spent most of his career in a 2-3 TE, run-first and run-second and run-third offense in Tennessee; barely played in two years for Vegas in Jon Gruden's West Coast offense; got benched in a very-run-heavy offense in Atlanta; and played 40 snaps in the Eagles' RPO/TushPush offense last year.

I'd argue Howell, with his experience in the UNC offense - and scrambling for his life behind a horrendous OL last year - is more familiar with Air Raid 'concepts' than Mariota.

• Like 2

The only tea leaves I am reading is that if you trade Howell, there is a slightly better chance of drafting Maye. Those guys are really good friends and rather not be competing against each other. I think Maye has more or less said in interviews it would not be and ideal situation.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

Dude showed every sign of being utterly toast last year. The RB age cliff is a thing, he passed it, and then you just have to wait for the bomb to go off, as it always does, it happened for Ekeler last year. Don't get the signing at all, but I suppose it's a spackle stop gap because this rookie RB class sucks. Probably a decision to give the new QB 2 adequate floor RB's, but Ekeler, again, totally looks toast. So? I don't really see the point here, at all. 

Despite being half washed, he was still at the top of the league in YAC on a high ankle sprain or whatever. He still has value as a pass protector and checkdown target, and the small contract reflected that. He’s just a binky for the rookie QB on passing downs, I think it’s fine for that 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

Dibs on Heinie.

Name like his game.

He's got a $9m cap hit.  Ridder has $1.4.  They just signed Kirk.  He's probably going to be a FA.  To make this post relevant to the thread, I'm ecstatic they signed Mariota because when Hallock is released, there is no room for him here so the Hive can keep it in their pants and we don't have to hear about "would you?  Should we?"  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's  the post I was talking about. That means either higher than a fourth or a fourth and an additional pick

• Like 3