Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

46 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Remember theres a new kick off format now, so it might be that for once we’ll be ahead of the curve in trying to field players that give us an edge in one part of the game.

35 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah what is the change again? I forgot. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/new-kickoff-format-ban-on-hip-drop-tackle-among-10-rule-proposals-to-be-heard-at-annual-league-meeting

The NFL on Wednesday announced its final 2024 playing rule, bylaw and resolution proposals to be voted on at next week's Annual League Meeting, which takes place March 24-27.

Proposed for one year only, the new kickoff rules would feature new alignments for the both the kicking and receiving units. A proposed "landing zone," the area between the receiving team's goal line and its 20-yard line, would prompt action off the kickoff if the ball were to land there.

Kickoffs would remain at the 35-yard line but the remaining 10 players of the kicking unit would line up at the opposing team's 40-yard line. The receiving team would line up with at least seven players in the "set up zone," a five-yard area between their own 35- and 30-yard lines, and a maximum of two returners are permitted to line up in the landing zone.

Once the ball is kicked off, the kicker cannot cross the 50-yard line until ball touches the ground or player in landing zone or end zone, and the 10 kicking team players cannot move until the ball hits the ground or player in the landing zone or the end zone. The receiving team players in the set up zone also cannot move until the kick has hit the ground or a player in the landing zone or the end zone, but the returner(s) may move at any time prior to or during the kickoff.

Kickoff scenarios under the committee's proposal would have the following rules:

• Kickoffs that hit the landing zone must be returned.
  • Kickoffs that hit the landing zone and then go into the end zone must be returned or downed by the receiving team. If downed, the receiving team would get the ball at its own 20-yard line.
  • Kickoffs that go into the end zone and stay inbounds that are downed would give the receiving team the ball at their own 35-yard line. Kickoffs that go out of the back of the end zone (in the air or bounces) would also be a touchback at the receiving team's 35-yard line.
  • Kickoffs short of the landing zone would be treated like a kickoff out of bounds and the receiving team would get the ball at its own 40-yard line.

Set up and landing zones will not change with any penalties that carry over to kickoffs, nor will the alignment of the 10 kickoff team players and all the receiving team players -- only the spot of the kick would move. Penalties on scoring plays will not carry over and be taken on the point after attempt.

Onside kicks will also be played out with the new set up and landing zones under the proposal from the competition committee. The trailing team has the opportunity to declare an onside kick to the officials from the fourth quarter on. Current onside kick rules apply, and if the ball goes beyond the set up zone untouched, the kicking team would be penalized and the returning team's drive would start at the 20-yard line.

The NFL added that the special teams working group will continue to work with the officiating department to examine any necessary approved rulings and/or additional language that may be necessary to support this new kickoff rule if passed. This language would be vetted with the clubs, circulated for comment to all the clubs, and finalized by May.

Edited by SkinsNatsFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

That's "For all intents and purposes."

Not anymore. My intensive intents and humor are simply eggcorns now.

Back on topic I think we need help in the WR but signs are pointing to Dyami "Breakout" Brown getting a bigger role. Sure we will draft a WR but there is no way anyone less than a highly rated kid will fill Samuel's shoes. I'd kick the tires on Tyler Boyd @ 6'2" which should keep some Mix fans happy.

Edited by RandyHolt

14 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Yes, he was actually released. Maybe not in the traditional sense but he had a contract - the tag - that if he wanted to play football it had to be for the Panthers, or he could sit out. He decided to play hard ball and they decided to let hm go, or released him from his contractual commitment in force by the tag. So yea, he was released. 

The rest is really us saying the same thing but from a differnet viewpoint. You see it as a negative - well there's not much to look forward to, mostly scrubs and I see it as, although unlikely there might be a chance at someone we could really use. Both are right, just looking at it differently. 

Pretty much everything you said is wrong. Setting aside the Norman stuff (he was always an unsigned free agent), I never said it was a "negative" or that the players were scrubs.

Someone asked about the next "wave", and all I'm saying is that there is no next wave. More of a small trickle of random players. That's really the end of it. Of course anything is possible. Someone could be released and signed. All I'm saying is I wouldn't expect much. That part you have correct.

• Haha 1

We will? 

We may, sure, since its a deep WR class this year but then it could be a 3rd or 4th rounder. We could also address TE or the OL or simply take BPA which many seem to often clamor for and ignore gaping holes.

Regardless, looking at R2WRs last year... Mims and Mingo didn't do much while Jaylen and Rice looked great. 2022 Watson great, Wandale injured, Methcie who Thornton who Sky Pierce and Pickens.. Sure its a small sample size but a round 2 WR contributing enough to fill Samuels shoes points to a coin flip. I hope we draft a stud WR but Boyd can do it out of the box and free up that pick if AP wants. It looks like Boyd has many suitors so AP is likely out anyways. Sure Dyami sucks but until he is gone he is in the mix to compete with anyone we draft.

Edited by RandyHolt

24 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

signs are pointing to Dyami "Breakout" Brown getting a bigger role.

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Sure Dyami sucks but until he is gone he is in the mix to compete with anyone we draft

I agree with the opinion that he sucks... 

Is it just increased volume you think will help him breakout? A different role in Kingsburys offense?

Genuinely curious...I'd figure a guy that's put up Dyami's numbers is a lost cause who is on the margin of the roster.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

QB, LT, CB

I feel like round 3 is the sweet spot for slot/nickel CB types which is what we'll be in the market for. I think our coaches like Forbes and St. Juste(at least enough to let them start this year on the outside).

We also haven't signed a single WR in FA(other than resigning Crowder)while we've picked up a few CBs to round out depth.

1 hour ago, formerly4skins said:

I agree with the opinion that he sucks... 

Is it just increased volume you think will help him breakout? A different role in Kingsburys offense?

Genuinely curious...I'd figure a guy that's put up Dyami's numbers is a lost cause who is on the margin of the roster.

I think until we see a new WR inked or an elite (~top 10 rated) WR drafted, there is little competition of course for Dyami.

We will bring a body somebody in, but when I say signs point to him getting a bigger role its because: 1 We HAVEN'T gotten anyone. 2. Samuel is gone so by default he is moved up my depth chart. 3. He's young and we all know WRs can take time to develop so maybe he isn't done cooking. 4. Maybe he sucked in our crap system where WRs would improvise and be in the same spot 5. Maybe just maybe he is air raid friendly or KK loved him as a prospect?? 6. We are a team undergoing a metamorphosis hording cap space and he is young and cheap, with AP refusing to ink anyone long term/expensive. 7. Dat UNC connection /s

Its maybe a little harsh to single him out when both TMC and Jahan had struggles last year. Yeah Dyami wasn't the only one dropping balls. Wildcard is Crowder. He showed late last year he can still play so maybe they think he can be our #3, but of course WRT his age and return duties is more likely #3 slot insurance #1PR. 

ESPN Depth Chart - heh look at Crowder. We could move Jahan into the slot IMO. Or should.

image.png.e8ffce4884b61afb7b45af3b2feea796.png

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

QB, LT, CB

We’ll probably trade up in the first for an OT. That will cost our 2nd pick plus something else. With our other 2nd round pick we probably take a Guard/RT unless an unexpected talent drops at another position. Round 3 is where we may go WR, TE, and/or CB. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FuriousD said:

We’ve picked up 3 CBs in FA.

QB, LT, WR.

I think we still need a #1 CB, got a good chance to get one in the draft. 

1 minute ago, Kalu44 said:

We’ll probably trade up in the first for an OT. That will cost our 2nd pick plus something else. With our other 2nd round pick we probably take a Guard/RT unless an unexpected talent drops at another position. Round 3 is where we may go WR, TE, and/or CB. 

Maybe so, not too far off my thinking. 

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I feel like round 3 is the sweet spot for slot/nickel CB types which is what we'll be in the market for. I think our coaches like Forbes and St. Juste(at least enough to let them start this year on the outside).

We also haven't signed a single WR in FA(other than resigning Crowder)while we've picked up a few CBs to round out depth.

#1 corner needed. 

Quan could do the slot role.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SkinsNatsFan said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/new-kickoff-format-ban-on-hip-drop-tackle-among-10-rule-proposals-to-be-heard-at-annual-league-meeting

The NFL on Wednesday announced its final 2024 playing rule, bylaw and resolution proposals to be voted on at next week's Annual League Meeting, which takes place March 24-27.

Proposed for one year only, the new kickoff rules would feature new alignments for the both the kicking and receiving units. A proposed "landing zone," the area between the receiving team's goal line and its 20-yard line, would prompt action off the kickoff if the ball were to land there.

Kickoffs would remain at the 35-yard line but the remaining 10 players of the kicking unit would line up at the opposing team's 40-yard line. The receiving team would line up with at least seven players in the "set up zone," a five-yard area between their own 35- and 30-yard lines, and a maximum of two returners are permitted to line up in the landing zone.

Once the ball is kicked off, the kicker cannot cross the 50-yard line until ball touches the ground or player in landing zone or end zone, and the 10 kicking team players cannot move until the ball hits the ground or player in the landing zone or the end zone. The receiving team players in the set up zone also cannot move until the kick has hit the ground or a player in the landing zone or the end zone, but the returner(s) may move at any time prior to or during the kickoff.

Kickoff scenarios under the committee's proposal would have the following rules:

• Kickoffs that hit the landing zone must be returned.
  • Kickoffs that hit the landing zone and then go into the end zone must be returned or downed by the receiving team. If downed, the receiving team would get the ball at its own 20-yard line.
  • Kickoffs that go into the end zone and stay inbounds that are downed would give the receiving team the ball at their own 35-yard line. Kickoffs that go out of the back of the end zone (in the air or bounces) would also be a touchback at the receiving team's 35-yard line.
  • Kickoffs short of the landing zone would be treated like a kickoff out of bounds and the receiving team would get the ball at its own 40-yard line.

Set up and landing zones will not change with any penalties that carry over to kickoffs, nor will the alignment of the 10 kickoff team players and all the receiving team players -- only the spot of the kick would move. Penalties on scoring plays will not carry over and be taken on the point after attempt.

Onside kicks will also be played out with the new set up and landing zones under the proposal from the competition committee. The trailing team has the opportunity to declare an onside kick to the officials from the fourth quarter on. Current onside kick rules apply, and if the ball goes beyond the set up zone untouched, the kicking team would be penalized and the returning team's drive would start at the 20-yard line.

The NFL added that the special teams working group will continue to work with the officiating department to examine any necessary approved rulings and/or additional language that may be necessary to support this new kickoff rule if passed. This language would be vetted with the clubs, circulated for comment to all the clubs, and finalized by May.

Penalties every kickoff I see. I can't even read this and make sense of it. 

• Haha 7

Yeah its gonna be a mess and I'd expect to see a ton of penalties in pre season and maybe the first few weeks of the regular season. I do like that we're emphasizing ST though and hired a real good coach from Seattle(which has always been strong in ST in the Carroll era). Could give us that competitive edge at least early on to steal a win or two.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Penalties every kickoff I see. I can't even read this and make sense of it. 

I’m a big XFL/UFL fan and while that sounds like a lot, kickoffs were awesome and limited the full speed collisions with this design. 

if this gets approved, I bet fans will love it

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

#1 corner needed. 

Ron drafted our #1 corner last year, Emmanuel Forbes. I know this because I personally watched the video of Ron calling Emmanuel asking him if he was ready to be a Washington Commander and Forbes said "yes sir". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1